Andy Benoit: How Do the Bills Keep Pulling Off Upsets?

2 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Adam Archuleta (I think?) did the color commentary for yesterday's game and said the same thing about Holmes that Benoit did. He said Holmes waited for the ball to come to him when he should've been working his way back toward the QB, especially since he had a defender closing in. 

And I agree there have been times where Allen zips it when he should've let off a little bit. I noticed at least two instances yesterday of where Zay had to correct where KB lined up. I saw an article of post that described KB's play/demeanor this season as "uninterested" and that's pretty accurate. Maybe he lost it, maybe he never had it, but the kid just doesn't look passionate about the sport. And he's in a contract year. Normally, players in his position wanna ball out in hopes they can land a nice deal. He doesn't seem to be interested in doing that. Or maybe the lack of chemistry with Allen is getting to him and that causes his effort to plummet, who knows, ya know? Either way, he just has not been good enough. I never like to ridicule or be overly harsh in criticism of players but honestly, KB strikes me as soft. I think I heard about that around the time he was drafted. Something like, "he may be 6'5" 245 but plays like a much smaller receiver." Not great, Bob. 

Team obviously needs WR help. I also think they may try to add a more talented TE. I think Clay is alright but I'm pretty sure his knees have kept him from being the player he knows he can be. And with the way his contract is structured, I can see them moving on from him after this season. And I bring up the TEs as well because Daboll uses them a lot in his offense. Can't wait to see what this team can do with upgrades on offense.

Think is, if Homes had come back for the ball, it would have been on him even quicker.  As it was, he wasn't ready to catch it when arrive.   He had to be looking earlier.  Bottom line, timing was off just a bit.  

Timing and location were off on the early out pattern to Benjamin.   And I agree completely about Benjamin's body language.  I said last week he looks like he's afraid to get hit.   This week he looked bored.   He doesn't seem to be doing anything at full speed, and given that he isn't a speedster to begin with, going at full speed is pretty damn important for him.  Something not right with him, and unless something changes fast, I can't see how he will be in Buffalo next year.   He might not even be in the league.  

So far the recipe has been just like last years. Clutch kicking, defense playing well and winning the turnover battle. The defense didn't always play well last year as we know and so far this year they already had a couple of stinkers but they've been great since those games. Hopefully it keeps up. Offense so far is worst than last years but the defense might actually be much improved this year which could lead to 6 or even 8 wins which would be very surprising.

5 minutes ago, teef said:

i saw a replay maybe once, but i'm not sure he even started to turn his head around until the ball was almost up on him. 

I may have to take another look but from the couple times I saw it, yeah the ball came up on him fast but he had time to get his hands up and locate the ball in the air, just didn't complete the catch. I'm sure Holmes blames himself as well. He's an NFL WR, he knows he needs to come down with that.

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Think is, if Homes had come back for the ball, it would have been on him even quicker.  As it was, he wasn't ready to catch it when arrive.   He had to be looking earlier.  Bottom line, timing was off just a bit.  

Timing and location were off on the early out pattern to Benjamin.   And I agree completely about Benjamin's body language.  I said last week he looks like he's afraid to get hit.   This week he looked bored.   He doesn't seem to be doing anything at full speed, and given that he isn't a speedster to begin with, going at full speed is pretty damn important for him.  Something not right with him, and unless something changes fast, I can't see how he will be in Buffalo next year.   He might not even be in the league.  

I agree with you. Especially on KB. Like I said, I dunno if the guy lost his passion for the game or just never had it but he really looks like he just doesn't care. Maybe there are things going on behind the scenes we aren't aware of, that's always possible. Maybe he has an undisclosed injury, who knows. He alligator-armed that one throw against Green Bay which he got lit up for doing and other times the effort just doesn't seem to be there at all. If it keeps up like this, I can see them moving him for a late round pick at the trade deadline. If he plays out the year here with the same attitude and performances, they won't retain him. I dunno if he'd be out of the league completely. There are plenty WR-needy teams that'll believe they can get something out of him simply for his size alone (in fact, I'm pretty sure his size at this point is the only thing keeping him around) but they aren't going to pay a whole lot.

2 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

If you look at kicking around the league, Hauschka is a VERY underrated part of our success.  The Browns might be 5-0 and the Packers might be 4-1 with a kicker of his caliber.  

If Carpenter is our kicker last year, the drought is still alive.   Successful NFL teams have good kickers.

It’s nice to see an article that has a more balanced and rational take on the Bills. 

Jpsredemption is currently driving to Andy Benoit’s house in diapers to confront him. 

• Haha (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

He doesn't seem to be doing anything at full speed

Yep.   I kept saying that yesterday every time they showed an isolation shot of him.   It looks like's he's running in quicksand.     

Bad hands, slow feet (and situation recognition) are killing his chances of being re-signed...  

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That only works if the other team isn't ready for it.    And it cuts down the field so much that there's no "Option B" if the primary receiver is covered.

It may work as an element of surprise, but NFL defenses are too good to make a living at it...

Edited by Lurker

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yep.   I kept saying that yesterday every time they showed an isolation shot of him.   It looks like's he's running in quicksand.     

Bad hands, slow feet (and situation recognition) are killing his chances of being re-signed...  

That only works if the other team isn't ready for it.    And it cuts down the field so much that there's no "Option B" if the primary receiver is covered.

It may work as an element of surprise, but NFL defenses are too good to make a living at it...

We know it's not sustainable for them to live on from week to week, so they'll have to vary the game plan to continue beating defenses. 

Decent article, even though theres a few things we can nitpick. But the general theme being presented isn't exactly news to us. It's basically the same mantra for the Bills' success last season. The staff gets the most out the players, and they play hard, especially so on defense. They overacheive. That doesn't mean that there's absolutely no talent on the team, but as a whole, it's one of the least talented (and probably inexperienced) teams in the league. 

The staff does a lot deserve credit. The scheme is designed a certain way, amd players are brought in that maybe aren't the most talented, but are well suited to execute with the scheme. Young players seem to progress a bit faster than expected (Milano, Edmunds, Johnson, for example), and perceived "average" players like Poyer, Hyde, EJ Gaines etc. step in and play above that level. It's not by coincidence.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

43 minutes ago, teef said:

i saw a replay maybe once, but i'm not sure he even started to turn his head around until the ball was almost up on him. 

To be fair to Holmes, it was a great play by Jackson. Defenders are capable of making great plays too. All in all, I'd say it was a good throw by Allen, a decent-enough effort by Holmes (he was where he was supposed to be and would have caught it if not for the defender), and an elite play by a very talented first-round corner in his second season. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

To be fair to Holmes, it was a great play by Jackson. Defenders are capable of making great plays too. All in all, I'd say it was a good throw by Allen, a decent-enough effort by Holmes (he was where he was supposed to be and would have caught it if not for the defender), and an elite play by a very talented first-round corner in his second season. 

i wasn't sure if he got a hand in there or what.  

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Good point.  DB made a very good play there.  But if Holmes takes one step towards the ball it's complete.

2 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

A quality kicker, a coach who can actually manage a game and a QB who doesn't actively lose you the game is the difference between a 10/11 win season and a 5/6 win season.

Brady, Vinaterri, Hoodie

33 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The ball placement wasn’t great. You don’t want that ball high as it makes the defender’s job easier. Put it in the WRs belly/chest and it’s harder to get a hand in the ball.

So it was a combination of multiple things, ball placement, Holmes not being aggressive enough and a good play by the CB.

I’d put most of the blame on Holmes though, if he comes back for the ball it makes the other two thing immaterial.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

Adam Archuleta (I think?) did the color commentary for yesterday's game and said the same thing about Holmes that Benoit did. He said Holmes waited for the ball to come to him when he should've been working his way back toward the QB, especially since he had a defender closing in. 

And I agree there have been times where Allen zips it when he should've let off a little bit. I noticed at least two instances yesterday of where Zay had to correct where KB lined up. I saw an article of post that described KB's play/demeanor this season as "uninterested" and that's pretty accurate. Maybe he lost it, maybe he never had it, but the kid just doesn't look passionate about the sport. And he's in a contract year. Normally, players in his position wanna ball out in hopes they can land a nice deal. He doesn't seem to be interested in doing that. Or maybe the lack of chemistry with Allen is getting to him and that causes his effort to plummet, who knows, ya know? Either way, he just has not been good enough. I never like to ridicule or be overly harsh in criticism of players but honestly, KB strikes me as soft. I think I heard about that around the time he was drafted. Something like, "he may be 6'5" 245 but plays like a much smaller receiver." Not great, Bob. 

Team obviously needs WR help. I also think they may try to add a more talented TE. I think Clay is alright but I'm pretty sure his knees have kept him from being the player he knows he can be. And with the way his contract is structured, I can see them moving on from him after this season. And I bring up the TEs as well because Daboll uses them a lot in his offense. Can't wait to see what this team can do with upgrades on offense.

Man, I was so freaking excited when I saw that Beane had traded for KB!  and "disinterested" seems to be an appropriate word to describe his behavior on the field recently.

Hard to imagine a player with that much talent, that big a target, not shiving a git about doing his job. Where is "the culture" with this player? It's like he would rather be anywhere but "here" on gameday. I saw him attempting to block a much smaller DB with his arms and he actually got in the way of Chris Ivory's run.

Can the Bills hire Ex Steeler Hines Ward to instill some passion, teach him how to block, teach him how to go after that ball like DeAndre Hopkins? What a waste. 

1 hour ago, mannc said:

If Carpenter is our kicker last year, the drought is still alive.   Successful NFL teams have good kickers.

Funny how quickly we forget...nobody thought that when he drilled that 57 yard game winner in Detroit in Orton's first start...

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Nice article, but I disagree with the Defense assessment.   He’s basically saying it’s scheme over talent.  I think scheme is big, but we also have some serious talent.  

He says we have no pass rush outside of Hughes. Well, Hughes is pretty dang good, and Murphy is starting to show signs of life after missing last year.   

He then compliments our DT’s.. Last time I checked, strong DT’s push the line back into the QB and disrupt/help edge rushers.  

Also goes on to say good things about all our linebackers.  

Calls Tre White our only good Corner, then talks about the great play of Taron Johnson (who’s balled out all year). 

Somehow leaves out that we have one of the best Safety tandems in the NFL. 

I agree with him that McDermott is a great defensive mind, but let’s no go overboard.. he’s got a lot to work with on that side of the ball. 

It's not as far off as you might think, in all honesty.

We don't have much of an edge rusher beyond Hughes - and while Hughes has been having an outstanding year thus far, we need Murphy to start showing up a bit more in that regard. Murphy's been solid, but far from another bookend pinning the edge.

I like our DT's - especially now with Jordan Phillips, what a presence he made yesterday. I hope this play continues because with Star being the quintessential one tech eating double teams, JPhillips is the penetration into the backfield style that can disrupt so many passing plays and assist Hughes on the edge. Let's hope this continues as the rotation in the middle is starting to take form, even if this is Kyle's last year.

LB's are young, talented, and hungry. Milano may never develop to be the premiere OLB/Will backer in the league, but the kid performs and plays his role well. Edmunds is already starting to show growth and understanding of the game, albeit not without mistakes, but nothing beyond typical and leaving us with hope for the backing corps of the future. Maybe adding in some depth here wouldn't hurt.

Taron's balled out all year but he's far from being called the DB2 next to Tre. He's also still learning and has tremendous upside, but he still finds himself in the wrong place at times in the coverage, and misses some assignments, but nothing detrimental compared to the draft pick used to get him. So far only positive progress has unfolded, but he's still far from being our top DB2. I like him in the nickel role for now.

When healthy, we have one of the strongest safety tandems in the league, but they haven't been enough to anchor the secondary when we've needed it at times. We all want the ideal which is a tandem that just dominates opposing QB's and becomes the twice yearly nightmare for Brady...but for now we have a strong tandem. Just haven't seen it become the dominant factor of our secondary just yet, but we're getting there.

I think McDermott had a tremendous roster of talent in Carolina to work with, and will have similar talent here as well. He's one of the better defensive minds in the league at present, but I only wonder how much influence he does have over the Defense compared to Leslie.

Our defense is still a ways from being top in the league, but it's on the right track. We have played well when we've also been able to benefit from crazy turnover differentials, and the ball bouncing our way. That won't happen every game, and our offense won't always be able to stay on the field for now. Still needs time, but this Defense isn't anything to write home about just yet.

Edited by ctk232

6 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Man, I was so freaking excited when I saw that Beane had traded for KB!  and "disinterested" seems to be an appropriate word to describe his behavior on the field recently.

Hard to imagine a player with that much talent, that big a target, not shiving a git about doing his job. Where is "the culture" with this player? It's like he would rather be anywhere but "here" on gameday. I saw him attempting to block a much smaller DB with his arms and he actually got in the way of Chris Ivory's run.

Can the Bills hire Ex Steeler Hines Ward to instill some passion, teach him how to block, teach him how to go after that ball like DeAndre Hopkins? What a waste. 

Yeah, I was pretty psyched that they brought him in last season. They knew they could make a serious run for a wild card spot which is why they went out and got him.

Like I said (I think), a knock on him coming out of college was that old adage, "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane." Big dude, should be out there physically dominating the smaller corners he goes up against and make contested catches but he hasn't been doing that. I don't know if he took a shot at some point that's made him a little gun-shy and is causing him to play with a lot of caution or what. Maybe his knee injury sticks in his head and messes with how he can play. He just looks so far removed from the dude who snagged 79 passes for 1008 yards and 9 TDs in his rookie season. And yeah, interesting that McBeane have called him a great locker room guy after he threw Cam under the bus on his way out of Carolina and hasn't really shown much accountability for his poor start this year.

8 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

It's not as far off as you might think, in all honesty.

We don't have much of an edge rusher beyond Hughes - and while Hughes has been having an outstanding year thus far, we need Murphy to start showing up a bit more in that regard. Murphy's been solid, but far from another bookend pinning the edge.

I like our DT's - especially now with Jordan Phillips, what a presence he made yesterday. I hope this play continues because with Star being the quintessential one tech eating double teams, JPhillips is the penetration into the backfield style that can disrupt so many passing plays and assist Hughes on the edge. Let's hope this continues as the rotation in the middle is starting to take form, even if this is Kyle's last year.

LB's are young, talented, and hungry. Milano may never develop to be the premiere OLB/Will backer in the league, but the kid performs and plays his role well. Edmunds is already starting to show growth and understanding of the game, albeit not without mistakes, but nothing beyond typical and leaving us with hope for the backing corps of the future. Maybe adding in some depth here wouldn't hurt.

Taron's balled out all year but he's far from being called the DB2 next to Tre. He's also still learning and has tremendous upside, but he still finds himself in the wrong place at times in the coverage, and misses some assignments, but nothing detrimental compared to the draft pick used to get him. So far only positive progress has unfolded, but he's still far from being our top DB2. I like him in the nickel role for now.

When healthy, we have one of the strongest tandems in the league, but they haven't been enough to anchor the secondary when we've needed it at times. We all want the ideal which is a tandem that just dominates opposing QB's and becomes the twice yearly nightmare for Brady...but for now we have a strong tandem. Just haven't seen it become the dominant factor of our secondary just yet, but we're getting there.

I think McDermott had a tremendous roster of talent in Carolina to work with, and will have similar talent here as well. But he's one of the better defensive minds in the league at present, but I only wonder how much influence he does have over the Defense compared to Leslie.

Our defense is still a ways from being top in the league, but it's on the right track. We have played well when we've also been able to benefit from crazy turnover differentials, and the ball bouncing our way. That won't happen every game, and our offense won't always be able to stay on the field for now. Still needs time, but this Defense isn't anything to write home about just yet.

Over the last 3 games, this Defense is tied for #1 in the NFL.  

If thats not something to write home about, then I don’t know what is. 

Going to be hard for them to post shutouts every game if they continue to be on the field all the time, but I think a lot of teams would trade a level of their defense for a level of ours in a second, whether it’s DL, LB’s or Secondary. 

That’s not to say that I don’t think McDermott and his scheme makes certain players look a lot better, but in order to have a Top 10 Defense, you better have a legit scheme and coaching. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

"Andre Holmes (whose failure to work back to the ball caused Allen’s only interception against Tennessee)—are also questionable."

This to me is the one piece of the article that speaks to a greater issue of our WR corps. Beyond just general performance, I've yet to see universally strong, and consistent, fundamentals from every single one of our WRs thus far (with an odd exception for Zay, who seems to be more consistent this year). While we all know the current corps is a problem of the offense that needs reworking, it's astonishing to me that the coaches don't seem to recognize the need for more fundamental play. 

Whether it's a byproduct of our offensive play calling and Daboll's route schemes or not, how many times have we seen our WRs sit on hook routes, or cutback routes, and never fully come back to the ball? How many times have we seen drops because they let the ball play them? Or when Allen scrambles, where are the receivers running parallel finding holes in the coverage? I get the need for a first down trumping the five yard run back to the pass at times, but receivers just aren't running efficient routes to get open. Part of this is timing on throws as well, but if you watch teams with consistent passing yds per game over 200, you notice a night and day between the route running of other receivers. It's beyond me that this is all on the players themselves, and not our coaches for working on these fundamentals day in and day out.

Edited by ctk232

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Good point.  DB made a very good play there.  But if Holmes takes one step towards the ball it's complete.

I mentioned that play yesterday as maybe not being all on Holmes, but the responses I kept getting were "he needed come back to the QB", IE, his fault. But IMO, it was kind of lazy to simply point to that and lay blame. It seemed like a regurgitated response, just because Archuletta said it. To me, the route seemed a bit long, and the reaction time between Holmes getting turned around and the ball getting there was very minimal. That, and it wasn't the most accurate ball placement from what I recall. The timing of the throw, based on the velocity, was off. Yes, Holmes could have broke back to the line sooner, and could have been more aggressive coming back to the ball, but to simply say that the result of the play was all on him doesn't seem totally accurate to me.

8 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Yeah, I was pretty psyched that they brought him in last season. They knew they could make a serious run for a wild card spot which is why they went out and got him.

Like I said (I think), a knock on him coming out of college was that old adage, "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane." Big dude, should be out there physically dominating the smaller corners he goes up against and make contested catches but he hasn't been doing that. I don't know if he took a shot at some point that's made him a little gun-shy and is causing him to play with a lot of caution or what. Maybe his knee injury sticks in his head and messes with how he can play. He just looks so far removed from the dude who snagged 79 passes for 1008 yards and 9 TDs in his rookie season. And yeah, interesting that McBeane have called him a great locker room guy after he threw Cam under the bus on his way out of Carolina and hasn't really shown much accountability for his poor start this year.

It really is crazy that KB and Mike Evans are so similar physically and yet so different on the field. His rookie season he was a monster... now is a cookie monster...

16 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Funny how quickly we forget...nobody thought that when he drilled that 57 yard game winner in Detroit in Orton's first start...

Carpenter made some big kicks for the Bills, but he was in steep decline.  Remember when the Bills had to carry two kickers because he couldn’t kick off?

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Over the last 3 games, this Defense is tied for #1 in the NFL.  

If thats not something to write home about, then I don’t know what is. 

Going to be hard for them to post shutouts every game if they continue to be on the field all the time, but I think a lot of teams would trade a level of their defense for a level of ours in a second, whether it’s DL, LB’s or Secondary. 

That’s not to say that I don’t think McDermott and his scheme makes certain players look a lot better, but in order to have a Top 10 Defense, you better have a legit scheme and coaching. 

Don't get me wrong, I agree - the past three games our Defense has performed among the top defenses in the league this year, and I do believe we have one of the better units in the league. But we are far from consistent - outside of the Minnesota and Tennessee games, we've looked like a bottom feeder defense. Consistency is the piece here and the reason for my pragmatism. 

We have a lot of young talent at present, and our identity takes shape when the defense can play with momentum from turnovers. But remove the turnover aspect from the game and who are we? We're the defense that showed up against Baltimore, SD, and GB. All I'm saying is don't write home just yet. Consistency > hot/cold turnover diff opportunity defenses. Ball can only bounce our way so many times, but it doesn't mean we can't like what we see either.

2 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Don't get me wrong, I agree - the past three games our Defense has performed among the top defenses in the league this year, and I do believe we have one of the better units in the league. But we are far from consistent - outside of the Minnesota and Tennessee games, we've looked like a bottom feeder defense. Consistency is the piece here and the reason for my pragmatism. 

We have a lot of young talent at present, and our identity takes shape when the defense can play with momentum from turnovers. But remove the turnover aspect from the game and who are we? We're the defense that showed up against Baltimore, SD, and GB. All I'm saying is don't write home just yet. Consistency > hot/cold turnover diff opportunity defenses. Ball can only bounce our way so many times, but it doesn't mean we can't like what we see either.

The defense played pretty damn well vs GB.  With a historically inept offensive performance, they kept the game from getting completely out of hand.

24 minutes ago, mannc said:

Carpenter made some big kicks for the Bills, but he was in steep decline.  Remember when the Bills had to carry two kickers because he couldn’t kick off?

In his last season and a half maybe...but the first few years he was money. Statistically had his best 2 years as a kicker his first 2 years with the Bills...making 67 of 74 FGs, 90.5%.  Even his 3rd season he hit over 85% of his FG. The last year waa bad at 76% but Carpenter had one of the best 3 year runs at kicker the Bills ever had. Love it when people make up bullcrap to try and prove a point with no factual basis whatsoever.

Edited by matter2003

4 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

A quality kicker, a coach who can actually manage a game and a QB who doesn't actively lose you the game is the difference between a 10/11 win season and a 5/6 win season.

Throwing no TD, while throwing sub-100 yards (or like last week, throw sub 100 yards until the final quarter where it's pad the stats time), throwing INT's and taking sacks instead of throwing the ball away (not all his fault) IS actively losing a game. There is nothing about Allen's performance the past 2 weeks that can be considered good.

You can pick a couple plays, maybe 1 drive, but the entire game consists of dozens of plays & drives! Isolating a few out of an entire body of work does not mean he's somehow helping this team. The team is helping him, in spite of his problems.

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Clever wordplay.

On a side note, I don't know what a "git" is, but I wouldn't want to shiv it either.

49 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Throwing no TD, while throwing sub-100 yards (or like last week, throw sub 100 yards until the final quarter where it's pad the stats time), throwing INT's and taking sacks instead of throwing the ball away (not all his fault) IS actively losing a game. There is nothing about Allen's performance the past 2 weeks that can be considered good.

You can pick a couple plays, maybe 1 drive, but the entire game consists of dozens of plays & drives! Isolating a few out of an entire body of work does not mean he's somehow helping this team. The team is helping him, in spite of his problems.

I never said I considered us to be in the 5/6 to 10/11 potential win range.  My optimistic record before the season was 5-12.

I don't know how anyone could have an accurate enough assessment of this team to declare any win an upset.

The have only played 2 home games, the first was the debut of a rookie QB. 

They were a playoff team just last season.

The season opener featured a QB that isn't up to NFL standards, and could easily be considered an aberration (the game I mean, and maybe the QB).

Yet somehow when they win it's considered shocking. 

I'm really looking forward to the last third of the season.

Edited by OJ Tom

5 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

If you look at kicking around the league, Hauschka is a VERY underrated part of our success.  The Browns might be 5-0 and the Packers might be 4-1 with a kicker of his caliber.  

Rex might still be coaching here if he had had Hauschka instead of Carpenter.    

He wanted to play Jauron Ball too but didn't want to pay attention to detail.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Rex might still be coaching here if he had had Hauschka instead of Carpenter.    

He wanted to play Jauron Ball too but didn't want to pay attention to detail.

3-4 explosive plays per game and ball control the rest of the way is a Super Bowl winning formula if you can pull it off.

7 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

3-4 explosive plays per game and ball control the rest of the way is a Super Bowl winning formula if you can pull it off.

Not unless you have a phenomenal,  generational-type defense.

Those are rare and really hard to keep at that level for more than a season or two........and McD's permissive bend-don't-break defense is far from dominant.

Teams that play Marty-Ball or Jauron-Ball traditionally find out that predicating your team success so heavily on the anticipation of other teams making mistakes leads to an early playoff exit because the better ones just don't make many.    

It also remains to be seen if ANY defenses will be able to take away every blade of grass under the new tackling rules.

Seattle was an exception to the rule with their 4 year run of defensive dominance..........they wouldn't give up an inch on defense and they won the SB with the youngest team in the NFL but just 3 years later their window was closed because it's very hard to sustain competitiveness with a defense first mentality.

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He doesntget his hand in there far or clean enough if Holmes catches it clean. Far worse, however, is that Holmes is a terrible WR. It took him forever to stop, plant and turn. Otherwise it's a perfect throw and easy catch. By being so slow out of his break he wasn't fully ready for the bullet. He still should have caught it. The defender made a good play because Holmes let him 2-3 different ways.