Trent Dilfer: "I don't think Josh Allen should be playing"

VW82

Truth is they were claiming he was sh*t after his first start, he was a superstar after Minnesota, and now "he should not be playing" after the GB game. It's stupid. He's a rookie without much help around him and a team that had their hands tied by dead cap. Watching Allen struggle at times and learn on the fly is still better than the absolute trauma that would be caused watching Peterman for 16. 

6 hours ago, VW82 said:

Sorry forgot the link. It's up now.

Yes Dilfer loves Allen. I think his perspective closely resembled that of the concerned father who was watching his son needlessly go through the same trials and tribulations that he had 20 some years earlier. He repeatedly said how his heart was breaking for the kid. I think he genuinely cares, and believes in him too. It's the timing and the situation, or as you said "the strategy." Culture over everything, right?  

The adversity aspect is interesting to me. In theory it makes a ton of sense. That said, if Josh is so much more mature because of the road he took to get to the NFL, why doesn't it show to people like Dilfer who claim he just isn't ready? There's a bit of a disconnect there. 

I think there is a big difference between football maturity (that is, ready to start as an NFL QB with the knowledge and comprehension, etc., maturity) and emotional maturity. Be made be great in the latter, but not ready in the former. I suspect that is the point/issue.

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The biggest mistake McB made this offseason was not acquiring a decent veteran mentor qb. And No, neither Peterman nor McCarron qualify.  Now he's got to be forced into the fire with a lousy offensive line &  wide receiver group. I also blame Daboll for bizarre play calling in the LA & GB games. 

Yes .. this is the biggest fault of the "Trust the Process" Regime .. OL, WR not withstanding ... Allen is the Franchise .. and he gets to ask Peterman (our only Veteran QB) for advice in the film room, practice, etc.   Really?   Mahomes has a year of Alex Smith, McCown is helping Darnold, Bradford with Rosen, and can't believe I'm saying this Baker has Tyrod. 

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you happen to have a linky?

It's probably important to note here that Trent Dilfer had very positive things to say about Josh Allen pre draft:

Dilfer raved about Josh Allen’s traits and compared the Wyoming product to a “probably even more powerful” version of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, but cautioned that he’s still a work in progress.  “He has everything 1980s and 1990s football wanted in a quarterback,” Dilfer said. “He is big, strong, athletic, huge arm, tough physically, mentally. I mean, he’s got the trait makeup.  “He’s not a great player yet. He needs to learn how to play the game better. What I’ve been talking about him is he’s a 650-horsepower engine that doesn’t have the car built around to sustain that horsepower. He needs to build the automobile. He needs to have the framework and the nurturing to handle that type of horsepower . . . I think, instead of a first-round player, I’d call him a first-round prospect. He needs to be developed, he needs time, he needs to be nurtured. But I absolutely would love to coach him, and I think he’ll be a star if handled properly in the NFL.”

So I don't think his intent is at all to put Allen down, rather to question the situation he's been put into.

Which I completely understand, because I question it myself.

On the other hand, I think it's important to remember that while Allen may resonate with Dilfer because they're both from central CA, etc there are key differences.  Aptos, CA where Dilfer grew up is just south of Santa Cruz, right on Monterey Bay.  That's a very different culture than Firebaugh.  Dilfer was recruited to Fresno, where Allen aspired to go, and started for 2 1/2 yrs before bailing out before his Senior year.  He had a lot of success, and expected to go to the NFL and have more success.

Allen had a much rougher road with a lot more adversity - needing to go Juco, writing 1000 letters trying to get a shot, then once he did get a shot busting up his shoulder and having to go through the rehab and battle his way back into form.  While he had eligibility left because of his injury and his JUCO start, Allen graduated last December.  In theory, all those experiences should help to make him stronger and more resilient.

Doesn't mean I think the way we're handling him is anywhere close to right.  Or, to tie threads together, I question the "strategy"

This is what has me torn too.  There is nothing like on the job training but I wonder what mental (and physical) toll it might take for Allen to be out there and performing poorly an getting hit and sacked on most dropbacks.

I know some say you cant ruin a QB....but life changes people all the time.  Heck look at marriage...it can beat people down and change them.  Let's hope Allen's marriage to the Bills goes well lol

• Like (+1) 1

Didn't want him to start either, but I cannot watch a season of Nate the Great. Hope things slow down for him soon, although that's difficult when your oline is crap and your wr's are worse.  Damn shame it came to this. 

Jared Goff would like a word with Mr. Dilfer.....

That said, I don't think it was ever really the plan to play Allen so early in the year but I also think Beane and McD had to make a choice: overpay for a QB Vet to hold the spot, which goes against the plan to strip the team of the Cap deadwood, or hope that AJ could be the guy for a year. Beane admitted last month AJ did not play to the level they anticipated and Peterman exceeded their expectations in the Pre-Season, pushing the issue to either get a Draft pick for AJ or leave him on the team when they liked Peterman and of course Josh is the future. They chose the commodity once given the chance. 

Now, I'm fine with getting a 5th for AJ for what was a summer rental even though I would have been just as fine with letting AJ play this year as Allen develops and learns after that 4th Quarter comeback, it was hard to argue that he had the poise and intelligence to orchestrate the comeback. Regardless of the talent he was playing with or against, it was a feat to say the least. But when considering the all of the factors, the Bills moved on to gain more ammo for next Draft which they desperately need to rebuild the team and were fooled by Peterman's Pre-Season magic, but they weren't alone - many a media pundit was fooled as well. 

The larger issue is making sure Daboll and the Offense plays within Allen's current limitations and slowly exposing him to the type of plays his maturity provides. 

12 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

McDermott’s seat getting hotter by the day.

No...no, it's not. He and Bean have bought themselves at least two more full seasons...the end of 2019 season is the earliest his seat starts to gain temperature.

Trent - our other option is Peterman.  Now do  you understand why Josh is playing?  If not look at Peterman's career "highlights", or simply look at his QBR to this point.

Edited by Azucho98

8 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I disagree with us not having a choice though. We could sign any number of veterans and let them take the beat down (something we should've done this offseason anyway). Hell, we could've kept McCarron if we didn't even want that. And as much as I don't think Peterman offers us any great chance to win, you made this whole offseason about EARNING the starting spot, said Peterman EARNED it, then yanked him after a half for what? Throwing 2 picks & not moving the offense? Well Allen's done that in a couple games now too, it was kind of easy to see that was going to happen 1 way or another MONTHS AGO.

If the season is lost, if the offense is going to suck no matter what, if our QB is going to get sacked like crazy, if regardless of who we put behind center is going to throw a bunch of picks, why can't you throw in any other warm body instead of the guy who NEEDED to sit, learn and develop, instead of take an epic beatdown every week? Man, I'd rather watch Kaepernick kneel every 3rd & long on the field than watch our rookie mindlessly spin-move to his blindside, right into an oncoming rusher who knocks his block off time & time again! I just feel so aggravated that with an awful O-line, awful WR's, no veteran QB, and no plan-B, we take the one QB out of the group that is least likely to succeed in that situation...

And it's especially upsetting when you read back at Allen's pre-draft breakdowns, where his biggest gifts are his physical attributes but his most glaring weaknesses signal "NEEDS TO DEVELOP & SIGNIFICANTLY IMPROVE" if he's ever to have an even semi-decent chance of succeeding in the league. How many QB's have the Bills successfully developed in the modern era in their entire history!?!? They didn't even develop Jim Kelly from the start...as he played 2 years of pro football before even suiting up for the Bills. Sure wasn't Todd Collins, Alex Van Pelt, JP Losman, EJ Manuel, Jeff Tuel, Rob Johnson, Trent Edwards... Different coaching staffs, different personnel, I know. It's just hard to see us succeeding in that regard where others could not. I really, REALLY hope we do though.

The reality is there is somewhere near 100% chance we see Peterman again due to injury.  Between the OL play, the running plays and Allen's reckless style he is virtually guaranteed an injury at some point.  How this team has not signed another vet is confusing to me.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I actually listen to the podcast and Dilfer seemed like he liked Allen.  Just thought he shouldn’t play yet.  As a reformed homer, I wonder if I was completely irrational as some of these fans.

side note, but Ryen R has an awesome podcast comparing nfl qbs to girlfriends. 

Along with EJ’s Carolina game, Trent’s SD game, Fitz’s NE game, and JP’s Houston game. ?

"Reformed homer" - i love it!

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I actually listen to the podcast and Dilfer seemed like he liked Allen.  Just thought he shouldn’t play yet.  As a reformed homer, I wonder if I was completely irrational as some of these fans.

Bingo

From these comments on here it's clear a lot of posters didn't even listen / read what was actually said.

Dilfer's comments were much more of an indictment of the organization than anything having to do with Josh.  It's REALLY hard to argue they've put the kid in a position to succeed.  He's already making a bigger jump up in competition than Baker / Darnold / Rosen, but to put him out there with what our regime has put him out there with isn't even giving him a chance.  Brady or Brees wouldn't even have a chance with our offensive talent / coaching.

• Like (+1) 1

The difference between Dilfer and Allen is Dilfer was recruited, had success at the collegiate level and then was drafted 6th overall. Josh has had a much different road to being selected 7th overall. With it comes the mental toughness that guys like Dilfer lack. Josh has always fought for his spot. That's the biggest reason I wanted to see him start. He has the toughness to learn on the fly and the adversity will teach him, not break him.