Trent Dilfer: "I don't think Josh Allen should be playing"

VW82

I always thought week 9 after we lost to the Patriots would be the perfect time to start Allen, they played him earlier and hopefully he is gaining a ton of experience that will accelerate his learning curve.    At least he knows not to throw from the sideline back to the middle of the endzone.   So progress

Hard to argue with Dilfer. I think Josh can handle the adversity being thrown at him, but it would be nice for him to have Bridgewater or AJM or a Fitzpatrick type in the room with him to help him. 

I think he can handle it, but they aren't doing him any favors right now

I will only worry if improvement isn't being shown consistently by the bye week. Like others have mentioned, Josh has had to work his butt off just to get a scholarship. If anyone can handle adversity its him.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm just always puzzled by this assertion

Phrased as logic, it would go:

If a QB is good, then he won't flame out

(QB name) flamed out

Therefore, he wasn't good

But how do you test or justify the premise? 

It's not like anyone has ever taken 2 QB who are identical in background and skills and dumped one of them on a crap team and one of them on a good team, to prove that they both flamed out (if not good) or succeeded (if good).

It’s the classic nature vs nurture.  It really is the same exact thing.  Those that say a QB can’t be ruined is 100% ignorant.  Nature + nurture = the end result.  It’s not one or the other,  it’s both in many cases

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Truth is they were claiming he was sh*t after his first start, he was a superstar after Minnesota, and now "he should not be playing" after the GB game. It's stupid. He's a rookie without much help around him and a team that had their hands tied by dead cap. Watching Allen struggle at times and learn on the fly is still better than the absolute trauma that would be caused watching Peterman for 16. 

This has literally zero to do with the point Dilfer is making, but do your thing...

46 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Trent - our other option is Peterman.  Now do  you understand why Josh is playing?  If not look at Peterman's career "highlights", or simply look at his QBR to this point.

He’s talking about what is best for josh Allen,  not the 2018 Bills......now do you understand?

39 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

What we could of, should of, is obvious.  We should have taken a shot at Teddy Bridgewater. He'd be happy starting and would have earned it. Now he rides pine behind Brees for a few years before he lights it up for the next 10.  How could they go so wrong with both McCarron and Peterman? I hope they don't ruin Josh. 

Ive wondered about this. I believed and expected the Bills to go after Bridgewater. Like you say it should have been attractive for the player because he would have started and been able to audition for his next contract. After I saw where he went and for how much I was even more puzzled. The only thing I could come up with is sometimes teams are reluctant to take chances on players with history of a significant injury. Otherwise it made no sense to me. I would have taken Teddy ahead of McC all day. Oh well.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Trent - our other option is Peterman.  Now do  you understand why Josh is playing?  If not look at Peterman's career "highlights", or simply look at his QBR to this point.

Saying "Trent - our other option is Peterman" simply begs the question why is it the case that the Bills have the option of Allen or Peterman.

Trent is pretty clearly talking about Allen and what would be optimal for his development, not about the 2018 Bills roster.

Why did the Bills, planning to draft a QB widely recognized as the "high ceiling, low floor" guy with the biggest need for development, choose to build a roster where the alternative came down to "Allen?  or Peterman?" in September.

They had Allen running with the 3s since OTAs.  They knew he wasn't ready.  So why, before or just after drafting Peterman, not bring in a guy who was known to be able to play?

It's probably the most head-scratching of a number of head scratching roster moves the Bills have made.

17 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

How ironic. 

I don't think Dilfer should be commentating 

I think you're misunderstanding Dilfer.  And with all respect, I think Dilfer is exactly the sort of guy whose NFL experience qualifies him to be commenting.  Alex Smith would be another such guy - guys who were drafted high, by bad teams, and forced to play before they were ready with insufficient talent around them, and with an OC who was very creative and maybe more in love with his creative game plan than with supporting his new QB.

The plan was to allow him the time to sit and learn, but the Bills only have themselves to blame for this predicament by not having a more established veteran QB on hand and also not investing more resources in the OL and receiving corps.  They instead went defense heavy in UFA and the draft while foolishly believing in Nathan Peterman as a viable caretaker bridge option. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Yes.  And what stupid GM would do such a thing?  

9 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Lol trent dilfer wishes he had half the talent of josh allen.

I think it’s Bills fans who wish Allen has half the talent Dilfer had.  Frencheyezzzzzz 

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Because McDermott loves him some Steady Eddie.

There's loving a guy for his personality and potential, and then there's looking dispassionately at what he's demonstrated in the NFL.

If McDermott and Beane can't do the latter while feeling the former, they shouldn't be where they are.

• Like (+1) 1

This is why I'm still pissed they traded away AJ McCarron!! This kid and team needed/need a vet QB. Someone who has won games in this league. Someone to nurture Josh. Bad decision to think Peterman was that person. Some say that Culley is the one to do that for Josh, but look at history and see how other "projects" were handled. Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers, Tony Romo, Tom Brady all sat behind a vet QB to learn on a NFL level. Bills mgmt goofed this one up and it's too late to turn back now. Hopefully they don't ruin Josh.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Strange Dilfer's comments didn't come after the Minnesota game. I guess just piling on after GB makes a good story.

they didn't, but we now have about 3 1/2 games of film on Allen, which strongly support Dilfer's point.  The hope was that the Minny game was a turning point for Allen, but he regressed vs GB

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Oh yea? 

More performances like week 1, 2, and 4 and I guarantee you he won't last that long. 

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but if you're referring to Josh Allen's performance, then I disagree. Look at Goff's rookie year, even Carson Wentz wasn't a world-beater, it took a year or two in the NFL and for the team to get a competent Offensive line along with some receivers and a sound running game to compliment Goff and allow him to be successful. You can hate on Allen all you'd like, but your inability to be patient in the face of difficulty only reveals your own issues, not the team's or Allen's....

In the NFL in regards to Rookie QBs, patience is more than a virtue, it is a necessity to continuity and longevity.