Trent Dilfer: "I don't think Josh Allen should be playing"

VW82

45 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Thus far it seems like a majority of the people upset at the FO were hoping for AJ McCarron to be a Bills QB. I've also read Mike Glennon today. Because either of those guys would definitely have saved this season. Obviously.

Nobody available out there is going to save this season. I just wish somebody could play well enough to serve as the piñata while Josh gets up to speed.

We will never know how he would have turned out given more time (as I think was the original plan), and less of a beating. Hopefully he keeps bouncing back like many before him have done. 

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There's a lot of hand wringing over this mythical veteran mentor that would save Josh Allen's development. All after exactly one game where the whole offense looked like crap. This past week has felt like a whole season. I'm trying to remember how Bills fans made it through the 3 consecutive blowouts last year without burning New Era to the ground.

Having a veteran mentor would have done nothing to change the outcome of this team this year in my opinion....it would only have allowed Josh Allen to sit the year and work on his mechanics and ease into the position like Mahommes did.

Which would not have been a bad thing.

40 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Thus far it seems like a majority of the people upset at the FO were hoping for AJ McCarron to be a Bills QB. I've also read Mike Glennon today. Because either of those guys would definitely have saved this season. Obviously.

Nope. We were hoping for a decent bridge starter to keep Allen on the bench so he could learn.  We knew that we were going to have a bad season and just didn’t want to see Allen ruined for no good reason.  As far as AJ goes, I wasn’t at all happy with him being the vet brought in, but at least he wasn’t Peterman.  Paying him $4M+ for some preseason work and a 5th round pick was beyond dumb. At that point they should’ve kept him around so the only options weren’t Peterman and Allen. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Nobody available out there is going to save this season. I just wish somebody could play well enough to serve as the piñata while Josh gets up to speed.

We will never know how he would have turned out given more time (as I think was the original plan), and less of a beating. Hopefully he keeps bouncing back like many before him have done. 

There are any number of things that can be done differently re: rookie QBs- different system, different OC, more or less talent, sitting a year or starting right away, veteran QB on roster or no, and so on and so forth. Each of these could potentially represent a different eventuality in that QB's career trajectory, but IMO it's much more likely that the issue is binary and he will either succeed or he won't, regardless of the particulars of his respective situation. That's why I think the moaning about various factors is more than a little ridiculous.

• Thank you (+1) 1

•  
  • Zerovotlz
  • Members
  • 290 posts
Posted June 29 (edited)

My worthless 2 cents.  I think it will be Peterman.  ....it could be McCaron, but the important thing here is that the question being asked should be Allen or someone else.  The someone else part doens't really matter what their name is or who they are.  Some of you posting here have mentioned that Allen was drafted, knowing that there will need to be some time to develop.  that has not changed.  he's been mostly running with the 3's.  He's also lived up to his scouting report.  Big arm, athletic.  smart.  looks like the god of QB's in a no pressure practice type situation (like he always has)  I'd venture to say that at some point in the season he will start, but not game one...here is why:

1.  The Bills opening 8 games are so are brutal.  Let one of your low dollar, not in the future plans, scrub QB's take those hits and losses.  No need to expose Allen to the brutal speed and harshness of the NFL over these first 8 games.

2.  The Bills offensive roster isn't very good.  I'm not a Bills fan as you all know....just objectively looking at your roster on the offensive side of the ball...it's frankly pretty bad.  Again, let the other QB's come in and have to work with this less than optimal talent level to start with.  Perhaps after 8 games, the talent level won't be much better but at least there will have been some time for the O-line to develop some cohesiveness and maybe some guys emerge here and there.  

3.  There should be no illusions that this is a playoff team, and certainly not a contender at this point.  Let the other QB's take the wrath of the fans and media while Allen remains the golden boy in waiting, the great hope of the future, unstained by what will probalby be a pretty miserable opening to the season.  Bring him in when the fans and media no longer are clinging to any hope that this team is has any realistic post season asperiations.....Then the focus can be on watching Allen and seeing how he does game to game..hopefully finding tangible evidence of improvment until the end of the season....giving you something to be hopeful about in 2019 when they can also spend to improve his weaponry, his o line...another draft...etc.  

You all like to point at "the process".  Starting week 1 would be kind of anti process.  sacrifice Peterman and McCaron so that Allen can have the best shot at sustained success (if he is ever to have it) 

Week 1.  Someone not named Josh Allen.

Edited June 29 by Zerovotlz

12 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Self aware much? 

You think the Rams future hinged on Goff's mediocre rookie season? The Eagles on Wentz's? Bears w/ Trubisky? Ridiculous thought. 

And the fact that Darnold is getting a pass in his eyes because he's looking equally average (at best) but somehow has got 'nothing left to learn on the bench' is really meaningful to you, I suppose.

Oh, and he mentioned Mike Glennon as an option. And then immediately followed that up with how playing Allen has supposedly 'squandered' all the goodwill from fans that their playoff run generated. So if you needed any 'disproving' of his thoughts, and a brief scan of the comment didn't suffice, I don't know what to tell you. The entire post is just the Bad Bills narrative writ large; it's totally unoriginal, I'm tired of reading it, and if I have to poke it to pieces every time I have to read another thoughtless post like it I will. 

Wow... understanding things can he hard. I wouldn't know because I don't have a learning disability. And yes you earned that insult because you're an ass.

You're looking at it from the wrong angle. He's not hating on Allen, or dismissing him as a prospect. He has potential. However, by not having a guy who can stand in while they just waste this season because they have no offensive talent. They are ruining fans belief in Allen and them. I'm not saying that's right, nor was he, or that it will actually matter. Yet if he goes out and keeps getting killed and heaving passes 30 yards down field across his body into the endzone, this experiment will end sooner than it should.

Key word, should. I know all this context and stuff is tough for you. 

• Like (+1) 1

Dilfer isn't wrong but the Bills just don't have a choice. The worst QB in the league is Allen's backup. Sadly I just don't see any alternative to playing Allen. I wished that the Bills had a decent O-line and some receivers for him to throw to but sadly they are eating a lot of dead money to get out from under contracts and they made two big trade ups that gutted draft capital. They have a compromised roster that Allen is suffering from. 

On 10/5/2018 at 7:21 PM, Zerovotlz said:

....I don't know if this is the answer or not...but I think it was/is perceived and continues to be thought, that Darnold was a fairly NFL ready product coming out of college....that isn't the same as a GOOD QB.....but that his foundational skills, technique, reps taken, playing against high level competition....he'd been exposed to a lot of that in college and that his next steps developing would be from taking reps on the NFL field, getting used to the speed of that game, faster players and all that.....in other words, Yes, Darnold isn't playing well, but again, the idea is that his development toward playing well will come from NFL reps.  There isn't anything left for him to do on a bench.  That isn't the percieved case with Allen (and I've said it all over this board when making the argument for him to be sitting)  ....I'll say it again.  Allen was always going to be a project...the rare guy coming out of college who would actually benefit by being on the bench, practicing, improving his technique, learning to read a defesne, getting used to the speed of the game.  HE DIDNT GET ANY OF THIS IN COLLEGE like the other prospects did.  

As mentioned several times prior....Knowing your roster is poor on offense...knowing it's going to be a lost year while you wait to get out of cap hell...AND coming off an unexpected playoff birth, thus giving your coaching staff a big credibility boost....you had all the goodwill and support you'd need to withstand a throwaway season keeping Allen on the bench ALL YEAR to get him ready for next year, when you have money to spend, a high draft pick to spend on something good....etc.  

By failing to get a servicable QB body, the staff has already completely squandered the goodwill of the fans, and their playoff drought breaking credentials.  If the Bills looked awful with Mike Glennon or someone like that at QB this year, you all would be upset, but halfway through the year, you'd all eventually reconcile your dissapointment with the hope that the Staff that broke the drought knew waht they were doing, that Allen was a project that needed time and that 2019 was really going to be a fun and hopeful time to look forward to.  Now, if Allen doesn't show improvement, etc....you go into 2019 with some wondering if you need to look at QB again, need a new staff again, if anyone will want to come to Buffalo to play.

To summarized.  Allen on bench for 2018 = Hope for 2019, excitement to see Allens progress, excitement for the free agent and draft aquisitions.  Hope abounds.

Allen on field for 2018 =  Doubt about the competancy of the staff.  Doubt about talent evaluation.  And if Allen shows no progress, then doubt about the QB situation, doubt that any good FA will want to show up for a team that might need to start over at QB and (by default) with yet another FO.

Basically, the entire 3 year future of the franchise now rides ENTIRELY on what Josh Allen does with the rest of this season.

Ol dirty......I highlighted the word Percieved in my post....I used that word intentionally to try and distinguish between reality and perception.  I agree Darnold is playing like garbage, and it is entirely possible he should be sitting as well.....I continue to think the perception at this time is that Darnold will get up to speed by taking lumps, and that the perception is that Allen will have his career ended by taking lumps because he isn't as developed.....or at minimum, he didn't see anywhere near enough quality reps in college and would benefit from quality practice reps.  

I do think Allen is the kind of prospect you CAN ruin by doing exactly what the Bills are doing with him now.  That's why I put out the three year statement.  IF you ruin Allen, you are starting over...AGAIN....and normally that is bad enough, but keep in mind that after 2020, there is going to be a labor issue, and the ownership may be inclined to just go status quo with the staff, FO, even Allen until  that labor situation is settled.  

5 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Wow... understanding things can he hard. I wouldn't know because I don't have a learning disability. And yes you earned that insult because you're an ass.

You're looking at it from the wrong angle. He's not hating on Allen, or dismissing him as a prospect. He has potential. However, by not having a guy who can stand in while they just waste this season because they have no offensive talent. They are ruining fans belief in Allen and them. I'm not saying that's right, nor was he, or that it will actually matter. Yet if he goes out and keeps getting killed and heaving passes 30 yards down field across his body into the endzone, this experiment will end sooner than it should.

Key word, should. I know all this context and stuff is tough for you. 

Agree with you 100%.  I'm still holding out hope that Allen is our guy of the future, and he's shown me glimpses here and there that make me think we got it right picking him, but at the rate we're headed, and with no viable options to help preserve him, I also fear he may not make it through the full season.

• Like (+1) 1