In 21 games with McDermott, we have been blown out 6 times

10 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

My God, I don't even know where to start. You have an agenda. I'm not going to even bother.

The !@#$ style of team do you think McDermott is trying to build? Do you remember his introductory presser? It's just not even worth it with some of you. 

they made numerous trades to get a quarterback. Not sure what you are referring to in McDermotts intro press conference. He may of said whatever he said because he had Tyrod. 

4 hours ago, joesixpack said:

And yet, here you are.

Hope is a weird drug. But its effects are wearing off and I suspect I'm not the only one. And I was also a NFL football fan. Now I only catch a glimpse of other games but can and will miss SNF, MNF, TNF, etc. 

It’s a very peculiar trend in that the team doesn’t always lose... sometimes McDermott’s team shows up out of nowhere and lays the wood like in Minnesota. 

Last year after getting ass paddled by the Jets, Saints, and Chargers in consecutive weeks, YE OLE was convinced they wouldn’t win another game all year. And they were losing in such magnificent fashion that you actually had to at least start to entertain the idea that McDermott might get canned after only a year. Then they went in to KC and won.

Under McDermott, the wins at Atlanta, KC, and Minnesota are all as impressive as the blowouts have been ridiculous. 

It’s easy to say this is the worst team in the league and start piling on again, but I think the truth is they’re still a middle of the pack team that rarely plays that way. They either play way above or below that level on any given week. What will be concerning moving forward is if this roster is built out and gets significantly better, will they still have these wild swings under McDermott? 20+ games into his tenure here, it’s hard to say all of this is a fluke and not a trend at this point.

On 10/1/2018 at 6:01 PM, Scott7975 said:

Because its a roster purge.  The guys on the roster aren't necessarily "their guys."  Its more like filler until they do get their guys.  This team has been through the 6-10 to 8-8 years for over a decade.  It gets the team nowhere because they have almost no chance at getting any stars in the draft.  If all they can do is get around average guys then they have to spend the hell out of the salary cap on just a few players.  This team has been there, done that. 

Maybe you don't like watching this team be a dumpster fire... truth is I don't like WATCHING it either. At the end of it though, I know its for the better.  Next season they ought to have a really good draft and pick up some FA's as well.  We should be able to be competitive from game to game next year.  That's assuming Allen progresses and this staff knows what its doing.

The following year they should be able to start competing for real.  If not then its time to fire some people.

Roster purge is bang on analysis.  Look at the Browns now,  they went and got some weapons, drafted their QB.  

On 10/1/2018 at 6:02 PM, thenorthremembers said:

Do you happen to have stats showing the percentage other teams are blown out or perhaps a baseline of what constitutes a blowout?  Otherwise this stat means absolutely nothing

Agreed

On 10/1/2018 at 5:58 PM, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

This is a good post.  It's one thing to lose, it's another thing to constantly get your ass handed to you.

I am really starting to wonder how much more I can take.  Between the game being worse than it ever was and the never ending sucktitude of the Bills, why do I even bother watching.  

There is a different guy every week throwing 5 or 6 TD's.  Four guys are currently on pace to break Peyton Manning's passing record.  Refs are progressively having a larger impact on games.  The game is pure trash right now.  Goodell has let the actual game on the field go to ****.  I think I might be done with the whole thing soon.

I have not watched (on TV or live) 3 Bills games this Century.  2 last year because I was travelling in Germany.

This year I have watched about an hour of the Bills games combined.  And, no other football.

The game has gotten too silly to watch for me currently.  And, I am enjoying doing other things with my time.

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

Yawn... This again?

Newsflash:  We're rebuilding.

They want you to believe it's a rebuild when it's really a clueless shitshow.

Devoid your team of all talent and call it a rebuild..........Brilliant!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, pop gun said:

20 years of this and counting

On 10/1/2018 at 4:56 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I just don’t think it was bad when they got here. That’s my issue. I think Beane made it way worse for seemingly no reason. As if, these guys would rather lose with their guys then win with someone else’s.

No reason?  That team was old, in cap hell, and was bad....that’s why it was dismantled 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

they made numerous trades to get a quarterback. Not sure what you are referring to in McDermotts intro press conference. He may of said whatever he said because he had Tyrod. 

Like I said... you have an agenda, not even worth it. When he was hired it was looking like they wouldn't keep Tyrod. He had no bearing on McDermott saying they want to play defense and run the ball. The guy is another coach stuck in the 70s mentality that we have hired. It's cold, windy, run the ball. It's stupid antiquated nonsense. 

18 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

No reason?  That team was old, in cap hell, and was bad....that’s why it was dismantled 

Well the team has gotten even older, actually like way older under their watch. They weren't really in cap hell until they created all the dead money. But by all means, go along with the narrative these arrogant clowns sell you. It's insulting to our intelligence when they say **** like this, but some people believe them. So I guess I don't blame them.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Like I said... you have an agenda, not even worth it. When he was hired it was looking like they wouldn't keep Tyrod. He had no bearing on McDermott saying they want to play defense and run the ball. The guy is another coach stuck in the 70s mentality that we have hired. It's cold, windy, run the ball. It's stupid antiquated nonsense. 

Well the team has gotten even older, actually like way older under their watch. They weren't really in cap hell until they created all the dead money. But by all means, go along with the narrative these arrogant clowns sell you. It's insulting to our intelligence when they say **** like this, but some people believe them. So I guess I don't blame them.

What is my agenda?

26 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's still old.

It was never in cap hell.

It was never bad. Now it's bad.

I agree.

McBeane are responsible for the decisions they have made.  I want to see how the rest of the year plays out, but it has not been pretty.

On 10/1/2018 at 5:47 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

That’s not good. We also now are 10-11 under this regime.

I was happier then words can describe when we ended the drought last year.  It had to be done. The drought was a dark cloud hanging over the Bills and it needed to be destroyed. We all deserved to see the playoffs and McDermott got us there. For the 2017 season alone, I am forever grateful.  I also realize this was supposed to be a step back and a“rebuilding year” Still, I cant help but feel

concerned. Being blown out in more the 1/4 of your games is not supposed to happen. Losing is one thing. Being non competitive in almost 30% of your games is a whole different animal. Im not sure how that will change. I am willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt because of last year, but I am growing more nervous by the week. 

Glass 1/2 full: soooo we DIDN'T get blown out in 3/4 of our games.

Have you seen the roster?!?

9 hours ago, pop gun said:

Sammy didn’t have the right character.  We need leaders and character guys like Kelvin Benjamin.

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The 2014 and 2015 teams were very talented teams. I'd argue the 2015 team was the most talented team since 99. Problem was Rex and then him with his fat brother the following year. 

Even the 2016 team while not as talented as the prior two years was still solid. 

McBeane gutted the roster because they wanted to. It wasn't necessary at all. 

Rex loves that he has a brother that can be classified as the fat one. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

It's still old.

It was never in cap hell.

It was never bad. Now it's bad.

Nobody can convince me the Pegulas signed up for this. 

They may have been sold on not being a good team by McBean but there is no way they were sold on a complete incompatent shitshow. I dont believe it.

26 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The 2014 and 2015 teams were very talented teams. I'd argue the 2015 team was the most talented team since 99. Problem was Rex and then him with his fat brother the following year. 

Even the 2016 team while not as talented as the prior two years was still solid. 

In my judgment, the problem was Mario going on strike, injuries, and Gilmore refusing to tackle.

As for McCoach, both the offense and defense were ranked worse last year than the year before and the point differential was worse than the year before.  

Fortunately for McCoach, the refs called a late and controversial penalty on the Colts' two point conversion (a penalty that I have never seen called against the Pats) and Andy Dalton's miracle fourth down 49 year TD pass.  Both must have been part of the "process."

On 10/1/2018 at 5:51 PM, Scott7975 said:

Considering the roster I think they are pretty competitive.  There might be 4 true starters on this team that aren't over the hill.  You have to give it time.  This isn't going to fix itself overnight.  This roster is a dumpster fire and that is on purpose.  Whether or not they are good at building a roster in the next couple years, I don't know.  This isn't the time to panic though.

There are way more true starters that aren't even 30 yet that are on this team. Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer are both 27, Taron Johnson (who has looked better each week) and Tre' White are 22, Tremaine Edmunds is only friggin' 20 and he's already the QB of the defense, Trent Murphy is 27, Star Lotulelei is 29, Matt Milano is 24, etc. Josh Allen is 22, Dion Dawkins is 24, Zay Jones is 23, etc. It's a youth movement right now. 

I don't have a lot of issues with how they're building right now. They have a handful of longtime vets with 8-10+ years of experience (Kyle, Lorenzo, Hughes, etc.) and then they have veterans still in their prime years (under 30) with 4-8 years of experience followed up by the rookies and second/third/fourth year players. 

Building a roster is more than just finding the right players. This regime wants to find the right players for the right money for the right amount of time. Right now, it's obvious they want to build a core of young players that they hope will pan out and be affordable because they'll still be on their rookie deals. And whoever has performed well will likely be offered extensions (right meow I can see Tre' White definitely getting the 5th year option, Edmunds as well, feel really good about those two being cornerstones on that defense for the next 10 seasons provided they can stay healthy). 

It might be a dismal season but they're doing this thing the right way. The results aren't what they want yet but they've still yet to dig in and really overhaul the offense. I think that's coming up this off-season, though. If they end up with a top 5 pick, they can trade down and collect more picks which in turn gives them more ability to move around in the draft and go after who they want. And hopefully they'll get some solid veteran FAs in here as well.

On 10/1/2018 at 6:04 PM, TheFunPolice said:

Coaching on the offensive side of the ball has been a major problem.

Let's get a young, innovative offensive mind in here and let that person run the offense.

McDermott is just another "run and set up a nice punt and hope to win 14-10" type coaches that will never get anywhere until he gets with the times on offense.

I do think there is hope in Josh Allen, because they DID choose him over Tuh-rod, who one would think would be their ultimate QB: do nothing, never turn it over, and allow the punter to have a nice game. But they went for a guy who can throw the ball a mile, which suggests they want to have a modern offense someday.

That's supposed to be Daboll.  Not sure how much time you need to give a young coordinator time to adjust to the NFL, but it has to be at least more than one season.  Hackett is a good example.  The Jags O has been looking really good.

It's not like we gave Daboll the keys to the Porsche either - rookie QB, putrid O-line, zero WR's. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

2014 was a long time ago. 

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

There are way more true starters that aren't even 30 yet that are on this team. Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer are both 27, Taron Johnson (who has looked better each week) and Tre' White are 22, Tremaine Edmunds is only friggin' 20 and he's already the QB of the defense, Trent Murphy is 27, Star Lotulelei is 29, Matt Milano is 24, etc. Josh Allen is 22, Dion Dawkins is 24, Zay Jones is 23, etc. It's a youth movement right now. 

I don't have a lot of issues with how they're building right now. They have a handful of longtime vets with 8-10+ years of experience (Kyle, Lorenzo, Hughes, etc.) and then they have veterans still in their prime years (under 30) with 4-8 years of experience followed up by the rookies and second/third/fourth year players. 

Building a roster is more than just finding the right players. This regime wants to find the right players for the right money for the right amount of time. Right now, it's obvious they want to build a core of young players that they hope will pan out and be affordable because they'll still be on their rookie deals. And whoever has performed well will likely be offered extensions (right meow I can see Tre' White definitely getting the 5th year option, Edmunds as well, feel really good about those two being cornerstones on that defense for the next 10 seasons provided they can stay healthy). 

It might be a dismal season but they're doing this thing the right way. The results aren't what they want yet but they've still yet to dig in and really overhaul the offense. I think that's coming up this off-season, though. If they end up with a top 5 pick, they can trade down and collect more picks which in turn gives them more ability to move around in the draft and go after who they want. And hopefully they'll get some solid veteran FAs in here as well.

And right now of those young guys maybe poyer, hyde and white could be starters elsewhere. So where has this purge gotten them so far. 

Some of the guys traded away are legit starters Bradham, Watkins, Glenn, Darby, Goodwin, Woods, Dareus, Hogan, Ragland etc. Sure they got younger definantly not better, so what was the point of the purge again.

On 10/1/2018 at 5:58 PM, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

This is a good post.  It's one thing to lose, it's another thing to constantly get your ass handed to you.

I am really starting to wonder how much more I can take.  Between the game being worse than it ever was and the never ending sucktitude of the Bills, why do I even bother watching.  

There is a different guy every week throwing 5 or 6 TD's.  Four guys are currently on pace to break Peyton Manning's passing record.  Refs are progressively having a larger impact on games.  The game is pure trash right now.  Goodell has let the actual game on the field go to ****.  I think I might be done with the whole thing soon.

Don't let the door hit ya. First four weeks has had the most one score games than ever in the history of the league. Refs are annoying and that's the only gripe I have and its not any different than the 90s. We hated the refs then and I still hate em. 

37 minutes ago, pop gun said:

And right now of those young guys maybe poyer, hyde and white could be starters elsewhere. So where has this purge gotten them so far. 

Some of the guys traded away are legit starters Bradham, Watkins, Glenn, Darby, Goodwin, Woods, Dareus, Hogan, Ragland etc. Sure they got younger definantly not better, so what was the point of the purge again.

Salary. Next year. Try and keep up.

On 10/1/2018 at 3:09 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

il just go off the top of my head and say for reference the Pats probably haven’t had 6 of them total in the last 17 years. 

I'm far from a McDermott supporters but comparing any team let alone the 2018 Buffalo Bills to the greatest dynasty team the league has ever seen seems a bit outlandish. I'd be more interested in how we compare to an average team over the last 17 years like say Washington or a team like that.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/1/2018 at 2:51 PM, Scott7975 said:

Considering the roster I think they are pretty competitive.  There might be 4 true starters on this team that aren't over the hill.  You have to give it time.  This isn't going to fix itself overnight.  This roster is a dumpster fire and that is on purpose.  Whether or not they are good at building a roster in the next couple years, I don't know.  This isn't the time to panic though.

We're practically the definition of instant gratification and emotionally charged. 18 years of drought will do that to you. But you're absolutely right, this is not getting fixed overnight, and it was never intended to be fixed. Take the playoff berth last year out of the picture and everything we see now is right on track. Again, ending the drought was most necessary for getting the monkey off the back, but we rode the coattails of a turnover differential through the early stages of the season. What's crazy is with a competent QB/offense last year, we could've easily beat the jags in a 10-3 game...but none of it was planned and honestly probably gave Beane more obstacles in helping the rebuild process along.

This team is not built to compete right now and that's something we should not be panicking about.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/1/2018 at 3:02 PM, Helpmenow said:

Maybe you don't like watching this team be a dumpster fire... truth is I don't like WATCHING it either. At the end of it though, I know its for the better.  Next season they ought to have a really good draft and pick up some FA's as well. 

I agree but I feel like our cap will be blown on former panthers/eagles instead of the best free agents available (Star L. for example). Also, Carolina has had horrible wide receivers and I don’t feel like this regime has the ability to judge wide receiver talent.  In fact I have zero confidence in that.  I hope and pray that they prove me wrong but at this point I feel like we need only to look at upcoming FA’s from Carolina to figure out who we will get. I think we have a good coach and horrible talent evaluation as a whole.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, joesixpack said:

And they got their QB.

Which you, and every other short-sighted "results IMMEDIATELY" person around here fails to acknowledge. There is a plan, allow it to be worked, or else it's just a repeat of drought methodology

If the plan was to surround their rookie QB with as little talent as possible then they are executing it brilliantly.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Salary. Next year. Try and keep up.

Some of you talk like we will be the only team with cap space. In fact, lots of teams will have quite a lot of money to play with as well.

Edited by Bangarang

2 hours ago, pop gun said:

The point of the purge has a lot to do with the salary cap mess they inherited. They wanted to unload bad contracts (Dareus, Glenn, etc.) and open up space, number one. Number two, they want a foundation of drafted players that are playing on very manageable rookie deals. In between that, they mix it up with free agents that they think they're paying fair value for. 

To your comment on the former players that came through Buffalo: Bradham was offered an extension but wanted to test free agency, he also wasn't a fit for Rex's 3-4. Also can't blame a guy for going to a team that offered him the most money. We've all seen the Earl Thomas thing by now, these guys have every right to get paid when the opportunity comes up. Darby was the opposite, he's a fit for what Rex likes to do but not what McDermott wants to do. I also think they had some character concerns on him. Ragland also doesn't fit McDermott's scheme.

The moment they drafted Dawkins, the writing was on the wall for Glenn. I've always liked Glenn, think he's a solid player but the deal they gave him was a bit much for his services. Beane wanted to get rid of that contract and things just kinda lined up for them when Glenn had injuries last season and Dawkins played pretty well in his place. They saw that and knew then that their draft pick on a very affordable rookie contract was ready to take over and then they go and get themselves up to slot #12 by trading Glenn which helped them move up for who they think is their franchise QB.

Goodwin and Woods were offered deals but both wanted to test free agency. They were also here when this team was all about the run. When you're a wide receiver, you want the ball. Robert Woods is a solid player who was definitely frustrated while he was here but he still did his job very well. He received an offer to play for a team in his own backyard that loves throwing it, can't blame him there. Goodwin was offered more money in San Francisco, and up until his departure, there weren't really any Bills fans who thought that guy was special. He has rounded out into a good receiver in San Fran but while he was here he was often injured and struggled with drops.

Dareus... giant contract that was not worth what he was providing. And again, character is a big thing here and we are all well aware of the off-field troubles Dareus has had. Even Kyle Williams himself said it, sometimes there's only so much you can do for someone before you have to give them a chance to start fresh somewhere else. Dareus has had two solid seasons in his seven year career but probably could've had several more than that if he was motivated enough to really tap into his potential, but he never appeared to be interested in doing that while he was here. 

And then they got outbid by the Pats for Hogan after giving him an offer sheet. And if you can catch the ball, you can pretty much count on Tom Brady making you look pretty good.

I'm not directing this next comment at you, but some people seem to think that the Bills just cut or traded or dumped these guys for no reason or that they never considered keeping them around. They do their due diligence and make their evaluations and some guys get offers, some don't. It's business.

TL:DR - In short, you can pretty much look at the cap mess they were stuck with to understand why they've purged the roster. But also, they (McBeane) knew it was time to hit the "full-on reset" button, as did the Pegulas. This is what happens when that button gets pressed. It's all business.

Edited by blacklabel
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Some of you talk like we will be the only team with cap space. In fact, lots of teams will have quite a lot of money to play with as well.

Plus, there's not that many good free agents available next year.  If we want to sign several of them, we'll probably have to overpay.  Which creates bad contracts, which I'm told are bad.  There's no quick fix coming via free agency, unless it's an unsustainable fix.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
2 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

Don't let the door hit ya. First four weeks has had the most one score games than ever in the history of the league. Refs are annoying and that's the only gripe I have and its not any different than the 90s. We hated the refs then and I still hate em. 

I think I will let the door hit me tank you.  The game is watered down.  I would defend it more but I've been up for 30 hours and need to pass the !@#$ out.

33 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

If the plan was to surround their rookie QB with as little talent as possible then they are executing it brilliantly.

Woe is us, then. Maybe we shouldn't try.

In fact, maybe we should just forfeit

41 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

yes, you take every loss in a a year and tell yourself it was really a win except for a bad play or refs call, so the season should have been 16-0

and then you plan to grab all the best available players for next year, who will have Hall of Fame GOAT seasons, and nobody else will try to improve.

simple...

29 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Woe is us, then. Maybe we shouldn't try.

In fact, maybe we should just forfeit

What a sad response. Perhaps we should take your approach and just blindly agree with everything done at OBD and assume it’s all going according to plan.