Will we ever have an offense

Stroke 17

I will give Mcbeane a pass this season because 1) they are the drought-breakers,  2) we are starting a rookie QB  3) they have virtually eliminated all the offensive talent from this roster over the past year+.

But after this off-season and into 2019, if there is not big improvement, i will be leading the charge with pitchforks and all to get a new and offensive minded staff in here.

People were saying once we got rid of Tyrod and Dennison, there was no where to go but up.  We are averaging 132 yards passing!!! I mean that’s bad for high school.  We are 200 yards behind the leader.  I am longing for the days of Trent Edwards.  What year is this?

On 10/1/2018 at 8:57 AM, Stroke 17 said:

Looking around the league yesterday there is no doubt the Bills have the worst offense in the entire country. Pee wee, high school ,college, powder puff......  Will we ever see an NFL offfense? Will we ever see a real NFL receiver?  The rules in the Nfl favor offenses and here in Buffalo the Bills can"t get a freakin field goal.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Some point totals from yesterday, Houston 37, Colts 34, Bears 48, Bengals 37, Falcons 36, Pats 45, Browns 42, Raiders 45, Saints 33.  The team I root for 0, ZERO, NONE, ZILCH, NADA not a freakin point. Years ago John McKay coach of the Tampa Bay Bucs was asked about the EXECUTION of his offense, he said he was in favor of it. Thats how I feel about the Bills offense.

I want my ticket money back, I deserve at least half my money back as it seem that the Bills only field half a team.  That wide receiver bunch is a freakin joke, and the offensive  line is the punch line.

Thanks for letting me vent.  They're killin me Whitey, they're killin me!

If you subscribe to much of the logic on this board, the answer is a definitive NO. Apparently you need a perfect team, pro bowlers signed as FA’s from other teams and a high first round QB that has sat on the bench and learned how to be great for an appreciable length of time. Then you throw in a proven winning HC that is an offensive genius. It was not possible to win with players that couldn’t put up stats with mediocre QBs or talented players that had underperformed. All must be jettisoned because of “ the process”. This process , mind you requires vanquishing years of players accumulated in multiple NFL drafts. This is important, because an offense can only work in today’s pass happy NFL if it consists of players known as “ our guys”. The process is long and arduous, but can achieve great results in approximately 7-10 years. Never mind that that those hired to implement the process will be fired long before that. Never mind. 

On 10/1/2018 at 5:57 AM, Stroke 17 said:

Looking around the league yesterday there is no doubt the Bills have the worst offense in the entire country. Pee wee, high school ,college, powder puff......  Will we ever see an NFL offfense? Will we ever see a real NFL receiver?  The rules in the Nfl favor offenses and here in Buffalo the Bills can"t get a freakin field goal.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Some point totals from yesterday, Houston 37, Colts 34, Bears 48, Bengals 37, Falcons 36, Pats 45, Browns 42, Raiders 45, Saints 33.  The team I root for 0, ZERO, NONE, ZILCH, NADA not a freakin point. Years ago John McKay coach of the Tampa Bay Bucs was asked about the EXECUTION of his offense, he said he was in favor of it. Thats how I feel about the Bills offense.

I want my ticket money back, I deserve at least half my money back as it seem that the Bills only field half a team.  That wide receiver bunch is a freakin joke, and the offensive  line is the punch line.

This is a dumb question and over dramatic.  Yes the offense sucks, but it’s a rebuild and we are loaded with cap space and drafting picks next year to begin working on the offense behind the QB.  

You know for a defensive GURU at HC, he sure did require like 95% of our assets to be put on defense. If McD truly is worth his salt, how about 50/50? We have an alleged guru at HC and DC, they need to do more with less. I've been playing guitar for a decade, some would say I'm very good, I don't need a $3,000 guitar to rip out some tunes, a $100 guitar will do just fine. I question McD's mastery of the defense as some say.

Edited by NewDayBills

On 10/1/2018 at 7:57 AM, Stroke 17 said:

It's hard isn't it? Especially when year after year other teams seem to find their way, hiring the right coaches, drafting the right players, signing the right free agents, etc.

Yet the Bills never are that team...somehow their turn never comes. Jared Goff looked like a possible mistake, then the Rams hire Sean McVay & suddenly the Rams are the best team in the NFC West. Their offense goes through the roof, and LA of all places lucks into having a great team to root for INSTANTLY.

The Chiefs have been a team that consistently makes the playoffs every year but cant get over the hump. The Bills have been a failure for nearly 2 decades. You'd think the team that's never going anywhere should be stockpiling great talent via the draft right? Nope, instead the already solid playoff team hits the home-run MVP-caliber QB while the dud team grabs the project guy.

The Bills have the weakest WR corps in the NFL, yet when WR talent becomes available we don't go after it because of the risk involved (even though our draft pick was labeled the riskiest of the "big 4"). And who does take the risk? The already great Patriots. Who knows if someone like Gordon (or even Dez) would payoff, but what do you really have to lose anyway? 

You lose your 3 best linemen in the offseason and fail to invest in viable replacements...all while you're planning on drafting a rookie at QB who needs all the protection help he can get. You simultaneously ignore signing a true veteran at the position to help mentor & guide the rookie QB, unlike all the other teams who went a similar route. Browns? Mayfield with Tyrod. Jets? Darnold with Bridgewater & McCown. Cardinals? Rosen with Bradford. Bills? Allen with Peterman & McCarron????? Wtf.

It's crazy to think when we did have Watkins, Woods, Goodwin & Hogan all together with Clay & McCoy we still had a horrible passing offense. There's always something holding us back, and it seems poor decision making is at the top of the list.

On 10/1/2018 at 8:58 AM, row_33 said:

Part of cheering for this team is to embrace the suck 

About 90 percent for decades now of embracing the suck

Over the span of the Bills lifetime in this league, last I saw, they had a win percentage off .334. On Average, in a 16 game season, it is right around 5 wins a year. If that stat doesn’t portray suckitude I dont know what does.

2 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Over the span of the Bills lifetime in this league, last I saw, they had a win percentage off .334. On Average, in a 16 game season, it is right around 5 wins a year. If that stat doesn’t portray suckitude I dont know what does.

6 great and 6 good seasons for my 44 years of watching,

still watch and hope each week, would be nice to have something legit to cheer for,

if it never happens over the next 25 years that would make it 45 years of suckitude,

but I won’t stop watching 

5 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Actually, through the end of the 2017 season it’s .467. That’s 23rd overall and bottom ten in the NFL fwiw. Only 3 franchises have posted a .560 or better all time : Dallas, Green Bay, Chicago. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

Nothing about this regime indicates they know what good offensive players look like.

Everything they've brought in so far at WR and on the OL hasn't been good enough. 

McDermott doesn't strike me as an advanced, forward thinking guy when it comes to strategy. If anything he's the opposite, and his comments yesterday about character trumping strategy were extremely concerning.

The best teams in the NFL right now are the ones pushing the envelope on the offensive side of the ball with forward thinking innovation to take advantage of the rule changes that reward teams for passing the football. I don't think McDermott is that type of guy. I think he'd prefer to run the ball and try to play good defense, which is an extremely flawed philosophy in 2018 in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Actually, through the end of the 2017 season it’s .467. That’s 23rd overall and bottom ten in the NFL fwiw. Only 3 franchises have posted a .560 or better all time : Dallas, Green Bay, Chicago. 

That sounds about right- its been awhile since I saw the stat I mentioned- im sure us hovering at the 7-9 mark for awhile raised the percentage.

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

6 great and 6 good seasons for my 44 years of watching,

still watch and hope each week, would be nice to have something legit to cheer for,

if it never happens over the next 25 years that would make it 45 years of suckitude,

but I won’t stop watching 

I wont either my friend- at some point things have to get better, right? Out of my 47 years on this earth ive endured around 42 of them!

On 10/4/2018 at 6:44 AM, BigDingus said:

It's hard isn't it? Especially when year after year other teams seem to find their way, hiring the right coaches, drafting the right players, signing the right free agents, etc.

Yet the Bills never are that team...somehow their turn never comes. Jared Goff looked like a possible mistake, then the Rams hire Sean McVay & suddenly the Rams are the best team in the NFC West. Their offense goes through the roof, and LA of all places lucks into having a great team to root for INSTANTLY.

The Chiefs have been a team that consistently makes the playoffs every year but cant get over the hump. The Bills have been a failure for nearly 2 decades. You'd think the team that's never going anywhere should be stockpiling great talent via the draft right? Nope, instead the already solid playoff team hits the home-run MVP-caliber QB while the dud team grabs the project guy.

The Bills have the weakest WR corps in the NFL, yet when WR talent becomes available we don't go after it because of the risk involved (even though our draft pick was labeled the riskiest of the "big 4"). And who does take the risk? The already great Patriots. Who knows if someone like Gordon (or even Dez) would payoff, but what do you really have to lose anyway? 

You lose your 3 best linemen in the offseason and fail to invest in viable replacements...all while you're planning on drafting a rookie at QB who needs all the protection help he can get. You simultaneously ignore signing a true veteran at the position to help mentor & guide the rookie QB, unlike all the other teams who went a similar route. Browns? Mayfield with Tyrod. Jets? Darnold with Bridgewater & McCown. Cardinals? Rosen with Bradford. Bills? Allen with Peterman & McCarron????? Wtf.

It's crazy to think when we did have Watkins, Woods, Goodwin & Hogan all together with Clay & McCoy we still had a horrible passing offense. There's always something holding us back, and it seems poor decision making is at the top of the list.

Thanks man. You layed down what i was trying to say.  Those that call me a crybaby have no idea the amount of time, money and energy I have devoted to this team. I am not  really complaining, hell I buy my tix, make the 5 hr ride, (for the last 44 yrs), brainwashed my wife and kids, go to  away games, buy the merch and all I want is to have a team that looks like other NFL teams.

You see I know I am the fool, the Bills are my crack cocaine, every time I want to quit I get sucked back in. It's a habit I can't break.

They,re killin me Whitey, They're killin me!

• 5 weeks later...

Just two seasons ago we set a record for top 5 points in this franchise's history scoring points.  Just because we didn't throw for 300 yards per game everyone complained.  Defense was giving up almost 24 ppg.  We had that offense with any resemblance of this defense and we would easily make the playoffs.  We made it last year with that turd Dennison at OC.

On 10/1/2018 at 8:57 AM, Stroke 17 said:

Gonna say no. You know the weather gets bad in Buffalo so that means you have to just run the ball and play defense and get a bunch of TOs to keep it close 

On 10/4/2018 at 11:53 AM, jrober38 said:

Nothing about this regime indicates they know what good offensive players look like.

Everything they've brought in so far at WR and on the OL hasn't been good enough. 

McDermott doesn't strike me as an advanced, forward thinking guy when it comes to strategy. If anything he's the opposite, and his comments yesterday about character trumping strategy were extremely concerning.

The best teams in the NFL right now are the ones pushing the envelope on the offensive side of the ball with forward thinking innovation to take advantage of the rule changes that reward teams for passing the football. I don't think McDermott is that type of guy. I think he'd prefer to run the ball and try to play good defense, which is an extremely flawed philosophy in 2018 in the NFL. 

This post I'm quoting from Jrober38 was written a month ago.

It was all true then and it's all true now.

• Like (+1) 1

If McDermott were fired tomorrow, we would probably look back on him as perhaps the worst coach of the Bills’ post-Super Bowl era.  I don’t think the team has ever been so uncompetitive. Then you throw in the decision to pass on Watson and Mahomes ...the trade up for Zay Jones...the McCarron debacle...

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/4/2018 at 2:05 PM, John from Riverside said:

We will never have an offense just to spite you personally.....

the 27 points in a half against the vikings was just to tease you and break your heart

Feel better?

Defense helped with that Vikings game.

21 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Just two seasons ago we set a record for top 5 points in this franchise's history scoring points.  Just because we didn't throw for 300 yards per game everyone complained.  Defense was giving up almost 24 ppg.  We had that offense with any resemblance of this defense and we would easily make the playoffs.  We made it last year with that turd Dennison at OC.

Dennison offense sucked but was ok on third down witch is something.

28 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Left tackle under a rookie contract + unexpected C retirement + LG in psycho ward + pre-existing salary cap hell = reporter's ability to imply stupidity/intent.

I'll blame McBeane if they don't address the OL heavily this offseason.  Until then, we'd have to also acknowledge the removal of Edmunds or at least Harry if we want more from the OL in 2018.  And even then I he cap number probably gets lower.