Allen is a budding superstar

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

No one's asking for perfection. If Allen had just been regular rookie bad, and we'd lost, most fans would chalk it up as a learning experience. The issue was he was really, really bad against a very average defense. That's not a good sign regardless of what stage he's at in his development. 

The Entire offence was so bad its hard to get a judgement on Allens performance today..it wasnt like the chargers game where allen left some plays on the field and had okish   protection..daboll came in with a really bad gameplan..the o line was awful in both run and pass blocking..Im not sure how you expect a Raw rookie to perform in a circumstance where hes facing constant blitzing and the play calling doesnt adapt to that pressure...and absolutely no running game..mccoy ran the ball 5 times. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Yes it was and it's what he's been doing the entire time, save for a few big plays made with his legs.

Not sure why this is surprising.

He is going to get every break imaginable, plus a few more, from this fan base until their patience runs out and people start to realize he isn't the answer.

I'm not going to go that far, way too much football left to be played, however, it's time for people to accept the criticism he got out of college. He looked like a deer in headlights yesterday.

Allen made some terrible decisions in college, threw some EJ-type interceptions that most people seem to excuse but I cannot.

I did not want to get him because of this but he seems intelligent enough, it's just going to take time with him.

At this point I think he was our best option other than Mayfield, but the entire situation was botched by the FO and it will be painful this year.

Agree it's absolutely stupid not to have a good veteran QB to help him.

• Like (+1) 1

Tough day for him yesterday.  The hysteria over him being a budding superstar was misplaced last week.  The hysteria over him being terrible and will never improve and we need to draft another QB this coming year and on and on is , if anything, even more hysterical than saying he's a budding superstar last week.

Objectively, what I saw was a kid who, when given some time by his O line, was able to go through his projections and deliver a good ball.  Saw that last week, saw it on occasion yesterday.  I also saw a young QB that did not do that, and may have bailed out a bit too quickly.   He held on to the ball too long at times looking to make a play.  I saw some very accurate balls thrown, and some not.  In short, what I saw was a rookie QB that could use some help and some time to develop.

Daboll needs to give the kid some outlets.  Swing passes, short routes, etc.  The O line has to figure out how to block blitz packages; is Bodine calling out the blocking schemes, Allen?  I've said since week one I'd bench Miller and Ducasse and get two new guards.

Best thing I saw is that he doesn't have the deer in the headlights look like I saw from JP and others.  He'll learn from this, he'll grow.  He I will bet won't make that same desperate throw back into the middle of the field waiting to get picked off throw. 

Rookie QBs don't make or break their careers in three games, regardless of how good or bad they look.

6 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Can i ask why his deep ball is possibly the worst attribute out of all is so called skills? Isn't that the 1 thing he was supposed to have?????

Its not really a huge mystery.  Deep routes take more time to develop.  Allen has, on average, had roughly the amount of time one would need for the average slant route.

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

So, some buds take longer to bloom? I hope we see this clearly by year 3 or so.....

Some buds give you a heady high others just downright place you into a catatonic coma.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I don’t either. Many of them were nowhere near catchable.

Yeah I would of liked to see Allen making quick hot reads and delivering strikes to WR even in close coverage.. Then we can start blaming WR's IMO

He did make some sweet passes against the Vikes but the wheels came off this weekend

38 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Yeah I would of liked to see Allen making quick hot reads and delivering strikes to WR even in close coverage.. Then we can start blaming WR's IMO

He did make some sweet passes against the Vikes but the wheels came off this weekend

Are you 100% certain that no WRs missed their own hot reads yesterday?

14 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He also had junk as pass catchers....

Havent we beaten this horse to death?   He has put that ball on deep balls right on the money in NFL games AND HIS RECEIVERS ARE DROPPING IT

Yes, one time he had a deep ball dropped. Several others have been off target or underthrown. That said I was replying in reference to someone that asked " Isn't that the 1 thing he was supposed to have?????" to which the answer is no, he never showed he was a good deep ball thrower in college. He CAN do it but he is inaccurate on those throw, like his other throws. Doesnt mean he will never hit one.

1 minute ago, jletha said:

Yes, one time he had a deep ball dropped. Several others have been off target or underthrown. That said I was replying in reference to someone that asked " Isn't that the 1 thing he was supposed to have?????" to which the answer is no, he never showed he was a good deep ball thrower in college. He CAN do it but he is inaccurate on those throw, like his other throws. Doesnt mean he will never hit one.

He also has WR's that are quitting on their routes or wont fight for balls?   You do realize that other NFL QBs that when they throw deep balls there is an expectation that a WR will fight for a ball that is not perfect (and they often are not)

Deep ball accuracy goes way down for EVERY NFL QB because of the throw.......often the difference is the guy that is catching it

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He also has WR's that are quitting on their routes or wont fight for balls?   You do realize that other NFL QBs that when they throw deep balls there is an expectation that a WR will fight for a ball that is not perfect (and they often are not)

Deep ball accuracy goes way down for EVERY NFL QB because of the throw.......often the difference is the guy that is catching it

Josh is missing guys by 10-15 yards on some of these throws. How do you fight for those?

16 hours ago, VW82 said:

Josh is missing guys by 10-15 yards on some of these throws. How do you fight for those?

The question is "why is he missing guys by 10-15 yds?"

Maybe the WR kind of gives up on the route or doesn't put full effort into it.  Other times perhaps the receiver gets jammed and doesn't release off the line.   There's a lot of unheralded fighting that goes on for the WR to get into the position to make the play.

I dont think there is evidence he is a budding superstar and I dont think there is evidence he is a bust.   He has made some good plays and some awful plays.  We have to just give this time to see if he learns from his mistakes and grows into the position.   

• Like (+1) 3

On 10/1/2018 at 8:42 AM, BuffaloBaumer said:

Can i ask why his deep ball is possibly the worst attribute out of all is so called skills? Isn't that the 1 thing he was supposed to have?????

His deep ball wasn't very good at Wyoming either. It was never supposed to be the one thing he had. Deep ball accuracy is much different than arm strength. His arm strength allows him to make small window throws that other QBs cannot. That and his mobility are his two calling cards.

I won't link all the tweets because there's a ton of them, but YardsPerPass was going through the All-22 of Allen this week and it's just absolutely brutal to watch. It's not all on him but I would say the majority of it was this week.

https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass

Edited by DCOrange

Just now, DCOrange said:

His deep ball wasn't very good at Wyoming either. It was never supposed to be the one thing he had. Deep ball accuracy is much different than arm strength. His arm strength allows him to make small window throws that other QBs cannot. That and his mobility are his two calling cards.

So he can throw into small windows but is not accurate and the arm strength is meaningless for long-balls - got it. So glad this is the guy they picked.....really great.

You tell me what he is supposed to do when Andre Holmes is his starting receiver. We have a bunch of 7th round picks and UDFAs starting at WR. We trade Glenn, Cog and Wood retire and who do we replace them with? You can't make Paula Deens baked mac and cheese with ramen noodles. Allen carried us against the Vikings, he flashed superstar ability against a top 10 defense. It isn't his fault Beane is a blue pill **** that has no idea on how to build a team and we apparently have 'defensive guru' at HC and DC yet they require us to spend all our draft picks on defense and literally all our money in free agency on defense! They gutted offense completely, threw out all the food in the cupboard and didn't replace it with anything! SMH.