Brian Billick on The Bills' QB Situation

26CornerBlitz

31 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Have you ever been more right about anything than your analysis of Peterman?

To me it was glaringly obvious. Most times with players at other positions you have to take mostly educated guesses. Or they will have to show an enormous improvement in one area or another. But it’s at least possible. To me Peterman was just physically unable to play the position AND had at least a few other major issues. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t think AJ is a good and a 5th round pick is good value for him.  But he won’t have looked as bad as Peterman.  Plus, who is the vet QBs for Allen to talk to?  Peterman?

this franchise still undervalued the qb position.  Why not have 3 of the most valuable position on the roster? To have an extra KR?

This was an error of epic proportions for this staff......like holy hell man you do all this work to get a top 10 QB in the draft (getting rid of Taylor and picking up AJM) and they go into the season knowing this but do nothing at all to at least try to improve this Oline and than dump AJM and keep the rookie and Peterman??  Rookie coaching staff??  Even if they didnt want to do a full blown rebuild this season they just fell backwards into it......

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Fair point.  Not a fan of the pick and didn’t see anything super exciting about his play.  But he wasn’t unwatchable like Peterman.  So that’s a plus.

The kid has got an Aaron Rodgers like arm and like Rodgers could best use some time on the bench to develop. Some of the throws he makes not many QBs can make. 

The game actually got exciting once Allen started playing and it would have been even better had some of his receivers been able to catch more balls. 

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He played against a prevent defense and backups. He “led” us to 3 points.  I mean he wasn’t the reason they lost but man, he hardly did anything to suggest he is ready to start minus not being a complete tire fire like Peterman.

Finally a realistic take on the situation.

30 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

If McD starts Peterman again it's only to protect his rookie from getting lambasted behind a bad, bad O line

and there's no shame in that. if nate comes out and sucks against the chargers, it's josh from here on out. if nate can bounce back and get us to the titans game, turning it over then might be the best time.  starting josh this week does not give the confidence that...hey we're gonna win this one. i don't want to see him destroyed.

34 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

If McD starts Peterman again it's only to protect his rookie from getting lambasted behind a bad, bad O line

Or is it to protect he and his boss's job because they'd likely be gone after this year if Allen looks like trash?

39 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so then why the rush to trade McCarron for a HIGHLY valued and COVETED 5th round pick?....he may not have been the answer, but there were too many unanswered questions about Peterman as your starter while Josh develops.....sure Peterman had a fine TC & pre-season...but since when are rubber bullets the same as "live ammo"?......McD as the "guy in charge", Frazier, Daboll and Castillo were all woefully inept coaching failures with ZERO answers for the Ravens....

Agreed......no way they should have traded AJM.  They best get a vet on the team asap to protect their future QB.

32 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I hope I’m wrong but Allen gives me Kyle Boller flashbacks.  Boller had a cannon!!!

I see more Trubisky, but of course we all hope we're wrong about Allen. Some people have a hard time understanding that negative opinions do not equate to lack of passion for the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

I see more Trubisky, but of course we all hope we're wrong about Allen. Some people have a hard time understanding that negative opinions do not equate to lack of passion for the team. 

I wasn’t a big Mitch fan either.  I was excited to move on from Tyrod but I hated the Allen pick.  Thought he is another one of those guys with “all the tools” who isn’t a good QBs.  But man, I want to be wrong.  I was at a Bar in Miami with my gear on and everyone just keep giving me sad head nods haha.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

To me it was glaringly obvious. Most times with players at other positions you have to take mostly educated guesses. Or they will have to show an enormous improvement in one area or another. But it’s at least possible. To me Peterman was just physically unable to play the position AND had at least a few other major issues. 

I got the impression that if given time in the pocket that Peterman would do okay, man o man was I wrong.

The rain, the lack of separation by the WRs, the inability to run the ball and the lack of attempts. The O line constant penalties. The defense not stopping Flacco. The lack of a backup game plan when that quick strike, the pass-first offense fell on its face.       

The players stunk (save a few) the game plans stunk, the coaching stunk. Nate Peterman gave probably the very worst performance by a Buffalo Bills QB I've ever seen...  

5 of 18 for 24 yards, 2 INTs, 3 sacks, a completion percentage of 27.8 with a QBR of 0.0. This was for more than a half of football. 

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is a good question Brian. I can see it, you can see it, most fans can see it, the world's media can see it..... Sean needs to watch more time. Lord of Life Alive. 

So you also saw the part where he said I probably would not start Josh Allen against that defense right?So you also saw the part where he said I probably would not start Josh Allen against that defense right?

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I wasn’t a big Mitch fan either.  I was excited to move on from Tyrod but I hated the Allen pick.  Thought he is another one of those guys with “all the tools” who isn’t a good QBs.  But man, I want to be wrong.  I was at a Bar in Miami with my gear on and everyone just keep giving me sad head nods haha.

He threw a perfect and not easy TD pass that was flat dropped. He completed a 3rd and 18 from his own end zone that was a great play. He completed a beautiful throw for a first down over the middle that was called back. He gunned a beautiful crossing pattern about 15 yards that was dropped. He ran well. He missed a couple throws and maybe two times he got sacked when he shouldn’t have. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Or is it to protect he and his boss's job because they'd likely be gone after this year if Allen looks like trash?

The Bills gave up quite a bit to move up to draft Josh Allen and I'd rather see the bumpkin Peterman get his arse handed to him over Allen getting injured or worse hammered, concussed.   

It's only for two more games and after the Chargers, Vikings then let Josh Allen start IMO.  

Anyone else feel this is like Doug Whaley all over again with no real veteran QB on the roster to help these young QBs. Along with one of the worst offensive lines in the league. At least EJ had Cordy Glenn and Eric Woods on the line.

29 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So you also saw the part where he said I probably would not start Josh Allen against that defense right?So you also saw the part where he said I probably would not start Josh Allen against that defense right?

The choice is not binary John. It is not Josh or a bloke who can't play. Nobody told the Bills to put themsleves in that corner. They did that. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The choice is not binary John. It is not Josh or a bloke who can't play. Nobody told the Bills to put themsleves in that corner. They did that. 

Fair enough

Your pretty good at this stuff so let me ask you....how would you have avoided the situation.

AJM got hurt.....he was probably still in it for QB competition till he did that.

I think what is unfortunate is Peterson is showing himself to be a good practice/pre season qb.....but not very good as a actual live fire QB....how should we have avoided this?

Albert Breer's take:

Aaron Rodgers’ Magic Caps a Wild First Sunday

No getting around it—Nate Peterman was awful on Sunday for Buffalo. But I’ll repeat what I’ve said before in this space. My belief is, based on the investment they’ve made, the priority in the Bills’ handling of the quarterbacks this year has to be what’s best for Josh Allen. And I have a hard time seeing where playing behind the Buffalo line is what’s right for Allen’s development right now.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
2 hours ago, RFL said:

Agreed......no way they should have traded AJM.  They best get a vet on the team asap to protect their future QB.

The only traded him because McDermott is on love with Peterman.  

2 hours ago, gridrick said:

Allen gives me Kurt Warner flashbacks with being cool under serious pressure. 

I keep saying the Ravens def. is good. Impressed by Allen. Didn’t seem rattled at all, even though they were gunning for him being a high draft pick!

2 hours ago, RFL said:

McCarron stunk. The real crime was bringing him in in the first place when other teams were signing better, more established veterans.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JPP said:

If they give Peterman the start than no doubt this coaching staff lives in a bubble

If they start Peterman it’s because they’re protecting Allen.  There’s just no way that they think he’s worthy of starting.  

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He's done it twice already when he should have known NP wasn't worthy of starting. 

Eh.  I don’t necessarily agree with that.  The first start against the chargers, without having ever started a game, it’s hard to say that McD knew he wasn’t worthy.  The QB he replaced scored zero tds in our playoff game.   He started NP week 1 partly because allen wasn’t ready.  I really don’t think they think sweet nate Pete is worthy.  It’s theyre doing what they think is best regarding allen.  None of these WRs have good enough hands to catch his passes.  Sad to say that allen is too good to play for this team.  Allen’s arm >> our pass catchers.  

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is a good question Brian. I can see it, you can see it, most fans can see it, the world's media can see it..... Sean needs to watch more time. Lord of Life Alive. 

Like the Chargers are a soft defense.  Bosa may not play but they still have Melvin Ingram.

One of the worst parts of last year’s decision to start Peterman vs these Chargers was giving a rookie his first start on the road vs that defense.  This past Sunday, Peterman wasn’t blocking poorly, dropping passes and letting Ravens receivers run free all over the field.

With this season’s schedule though, there may not be a good game for Allen’s first start.  This week’s home opener may be just as good as any.

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

8 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I think that’s a big reason why Peterman started this past Sunday. 

IMO, McDermott even hinted at it in his post game presser.

when asked about protecting Allen and eventually putting him in the game, he said he looks at the QB position form a lot of different angles, and considers not only who is playing QB but who is around him on offense. Then said “but I also have to consider what puts the football team in the best position to win games, as well” (which I took to mean “that’s why I eventually had to put Allen in”). 

We're 1 year into a total rebuid starting with an entirely new coaching staff, GM, scouting dept, team president and roster. Certainly this 1st game was worse than we all expected, but hardly a major shock. Where were we supposed to get this new OL, WR corps, DL, LB corps, QB and CB who come ready to play in 1 offseason while in salary cap purgatory? Obviously the turnover has just begun. You all knew we had to bite the bullet and go through this difficult process. Yes this team sucks right now and better answers are half a year away. Geez, I thought I was the one that was too negative. 

19 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

We're 1 year into a total rebuid starting with an entirely new coaching staff, GM, scouting dept, team president and roster. Certainly this 1st game was worse than we all expected, but hardly a major shock. Where were we supposed to get this new OL, WR corps, DL, LB corps, QB and CB who come ready to play in 1 offseason while in salary cap purgatory? Obviously the turnover has just begun. You all knew we had to bite the bullet and go through this difficult process. Yes this team sucks right now and better answers are half a year away. Geez, I thought I was the one that was too negative. 

Eh... a lot of this coaching staff is the same outside of Daboll. The GM and scouts have been here for a year. Team president? Who the eff is even team president and do they matter? I'm assuming they took Brandon's position. New roster? These are almost all their guys. 

Maybe you just came out of a coma or something, but last year might have been the time for this post. 

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Fair enough

Your pretty good at this stuff so let me ask you....how would you have avoided the situation.

AJM got hurt.....he was probably still in it for QB competition till he did that.

I think what is unfortunate is Peterson is showing himself to be a good practice/pre season qb.....but not very good as a actual live fire QB....how should we have avoided this?

Haha. Well you know that I have pretty much disagreed with every Quarterback move this regime has made except the paycut for Tyrod last offseason and then trading him this offseason. So a few ways to avoid it:

- sign a better one of the FA QBs that hit the market in March - Bradford, Bridgewater, Keenum - rather than waiting for the last one on the platform - AJ. And I know Keenum had a poor week 1 but he can play, Peterman can't and McCarron is bad. 

- draft a more day 1 ready Quarterback. There was another Josh. 

- when after pre-season game 3 there was an obviois lack of separation between the three go and sign an established, seasoned, vet. Matt Moore and Derek Anderson are both out there and both even played for Carolina. They are not great Quarterbacks who are gonna lead you to playoffs but they are guys who can play and not sink a game for you. 

They now better hope that they can turn it over to Allen and he can show he is ready and can cope (I wasn't a huge fan at draft time but I have been impressed and I am cautiously optimistic) because if he can't then this team is sunk and is taking its 1st round Quarterback down with it.

It's OF THEIR OWN MAKING. 

2 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

This past Sunday, Peterman wasn’t blocking poorly, dropping passes and letting Ravens receivers run free all over the field.

No he was the one throwing to invisible receivers, throwing 2 feet behind his guy, overthrowing simple routes and throwing to the Ravens twice though. 

Sunday wasn't all on Nate. But we saw enough to prove, yet again, that the kid can not play. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, gridrick said:

most adults on the forum can see it.  Why keep the guy if he cant play in the NFL?  That's just the long term plan of building the squad some will argue.  Keep putting Peterson in there and you'll cut guys like Edmunds career short

The problem is none of these comments where made when Peterman was throwing the football in the Preseason games.  My point is that these NFL TV guys just like to talk in hindsight on a  what if...WHy didn't Billick come out before the Baltimore game and say that they are going to cream Peterson!