Hats off to A.J.

Being a bama/McCarron fan made the comeback extra special. 

A J playing for Buffalo has been a dream of mine for a few years now. Was the comeback enough to make the team? I hope it was, and watching McCarron on the sidelines at times during the preseason conversing with Allen gives the impression the relationship between them from a mentoring standpoint would be a good one. I'm not sure Peterman could offer the same kind guidance with so little experience.

If I'm McD and based partly on the shaky 1 string Oline,  I'm keeping a plan A, B, and C at the QB position.

Peterman for the start, see where it goes...

• Like (+1) 5

37 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

It was meaningless and first half dreadful but nice job hanging there to at least end this very strange preseason on a positive note 

It wasn't meaningless for all them kids out there fighting for a chance to play in the NFL.

I would like to think A J may have helped a few fellow teamates out with a great albeit 4th preseason game comeback.

Other GM's will be looking at this game...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pasaluki said:

Completely toast for 3/4 of the game. Seeing your career die before your eyes. 

Then scoring 25 pts in a quarter and throwing the game winner.

Shaking off the rust was probably to be expected by the Bills coaching staff.

Seemed like there came a point in the game where McCarron gave way to that gunslinger mentality he keeps locked up so well (thanks to Saban) and started cutting it loose.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

lol, NooooooOOOOOOOooo

I would however go a 1st and McCarron for Mack

Nah , with the defensive studs in next year's draft I would rather have them. 

really like Raekwon Davis , 6'7" 306 very lean and athletic monster.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Nah , with the defensive studs in next year's draft I would rather have them. 

really like Raekwon Davis , 6'7" 306 very lean and athletic monster.

Followed Mack at the college level naturally and he's another dream player in a Bills uni of mine.

1 minute ago, Figster said:

Followed Mack at the college level naturally and he's another dream player in a Bills uni of mine.

Yeah, not at what they are asking, and at his age and choice of music I can only do a second.

" He is a fan of musicians Tim McGraw and Hanson.[5][39] "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalil_Mack

• Haha (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yeah, not at what they are asking, and at his age and choice of music I can only do a second.

" He is a fan of musicians Tim McGraw and Hanson.[5][39] "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalil_Mack

I have to call BS on this. But that’s hilarious 

• Like (+1) 1

Didn't get to see the game, all I got was the highlights on NFL.com, plus the "every A.J. McCarron throw" video there, too.  To be perfectly honest, he actually looked pretty good.  The supporting cast around him wasn't great, and you see a lot of dropped balls that hit receivers in the hands, but there were some good plays in there on his part, and even his throwaways seemed to be smart plays instead of trying to force it.  As far as I can tell, everyone was really disappointed with the Bills by the end of the first half, and put that on McCarron because he was the QB and they were down 20-0 at the half, but even his bad plays weren't atrocious.  His two INTs were on a tipped ball and on a route that they repeatedly ran against the same guy.  I had seen the highlight of the INT previously, and so when I went through the "Every Throw" video, I saw a curl route at the top of the screen, and the throw going there and thought "okay, here's the interception," but then it was a completion.  And then did the same thing a second time.  And a third.  And then finally the DB jumped the route really quickly, making the interception, because he had seen it come against him already so many times.  That honestly seemed more like a playcalling problem then a QB one.  So it seems like the first half was horrible defense from the Bills, along with bad penalties and crucial drops to stall drives, McCarron starts gelling with the rest of the offense more in the third, then kicks it into high gear in the fourth.  

For those that actually saw the entire game, not just all the throws, how accurate is my summary?  I wish the video was all drop backs, rather than throws.  The plays where he gets sacked, or runs for it but ends up well short of first downs or whatnot, if there were any, weren't included, and that would have probably given me a better overall picture.  But does that seem to be consistent with what people who actually saw the game in full thought?

Edited by Haplo848

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Now we can trade him for a third ;)

McCarron's statline of 13-for-34 passing for 156 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions won't help his starting QB aspirations. He was sacked five times and it was only in the nadir of Week 4 when he finally found a little late-game redemption against the Bears' roster-spot hunters. With McCarron seeing every snap, it seems all but certain Bills coach Sean McDermott has narrowed his starting quarterback spotlight to Nathan Peterman and rookie Josh Allen (although, McDermott said after the game that McCarron "absolutely" remains in contention for the job). 

Those are garbage numbers ,  you're getting nothing for this guy.

55 minutes ago, Haplo848 said:

Didn't get to see the game, all I got was the highlights on NFL.com, plus the "every A.J. McCarron throw" video there, too.  To be perfectly honest, he actually looked pretty good.  The supporting cast around him wasn't great, and you see a lot of dropped balls that hit receivers in the hands, but there were some good plays in there on his part, and even his throwaways seemed to be smart plays instead of trying to force it.  As far as I can tell, everyone was really disappointed with the Bills by the end of the first half, and put that on McCarron because he was the QB and they were down 20-0 at the half, but even his bad plays weren't atrocious.  His two INTs were on a tipped ball and on a route that they repeatedly ran against the same guy.  I had seen the highlight of the INT previously, and so when I went through the "Every Throw" video, I saw a curl route at the top of the screen, and the throw going there and thought "okay, here's the interception," but then it was a completion.  And then did the same thing a second time.  And a third.  And then finally the DB jumped the route really quickly, making the interception, because he had seen it come against him already so many times.  That honestly seemed more like a playcalling problem then a QB one.  So it seems like the first half was horrible defense from the Bills, along with bad penalties and crucial drops to stall drives, McCarron starts gelling with the rest of the offense more in the third, then kicks it into high gear in the fourth.  

For those that actually saw the entire game, not just all the throws, how accurate is my summary?  I wish the video was all drop backs, rather than throws.  The plays where he gets sacked, or runs for it but ends up well short of first downs or whatnot, if there were any, weren't included, and that would have probably given me a better overall picture.  But does that seem to be consistent with what people who actually saw the game in full thought?

Maybe 10 guys who touched the field last night will make the team and as someone said, 10 may be generous. So AJ was playing with bad talent, but he should have looked a lot better than them. Instead he looked just like them. 

He did not have lots of drops. He just didn’t look good. Did he maybe play himself into one more NFL roster late? Only a team in true desperate straights could believe in him. 

19 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Maybe 10 guys who touched the field last night will make the team and as someone said, 10 may be generous. So AJ was playing with bad talent, but he should have looked a lot better than them. Instead he looked just like them. 

He did not have lots of drops. He just didn’t look good. Did he maybe play himself into one more NFL roster late? Only a team in true desperate straights could believe in him. 

It is just plain very difficult to evaluate McCarron at all off the last two preseason games he played.  Against the Browns, the OL was atrocious and he had no chance.  Last night, the OL gave him little to no chance.  Now, I'm not saying he is a star, but I think if given time to throw McCarron is at least competent.

12 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

It is just plain very difficult to evaluate McCarron at all off the last two preseason games he played.  Against the Browns, the OL was atrocious and he had no chance.  Last night, the OL gave him little to no chance.  Now, I'm not saying he is a star, but I think if given time to throw McCarron is at least competent.

When some starter goes down this season, his agent will get a call. No doubt. 

42 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

From the "all throws" video, I can't agree with that.

AJ did have some throws that were off in various ways in the first half.  He may have been shaking off rust or in pain.  I suspect he got an injection at the half.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

From the "all throws" video, I can't agree with that.

AJ did have some throws that were off in various ways in the first half.  He may have been shaking off rust or in pain.  I suspect he got an injection at the half.

Too bad it wasn't an injection of talent. 

• Haha (+1) 3

6 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

It was meaningless and first half dreadful but nice job hanging there to at least end this very strange preseason on a positive note 

Gotta give it to him...not many QB's can carry a 0.0 QB Rating into the 4th Quarter but by gosh Golly Gee He did it!

He was terrible last night. There is no such thing as a comeback win in preseason because the final score is meaningless. Preseason games are just a series of practice scenarios. It doesn't count as a comeback because the defense isn't game planning to stop it. Sure he played a little better as the game went on and the worst players on the Bears depth chart took the field. Any remotely competent QB should have been able to move the ball at will yesterday. It was embarrassing.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Hey, Wiki is never wrong ;)

There are two sources cited, but neither source actually backs up the claim. Damn, it'd be fun to use Hanson against him.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

I think this team has to carry all three at least to start the year. 

If we can trade McCarron for anything we save $1 million on the cap this year and $5 million next year. That's the best thing we can do right now. This is his 4th year in the league and he hasn't improved at all. I'd rather just see Peterman if the plan is to let Allen be the backup for a few games. At least Peterman has a chance of becoming something.

• Like (+1) 1

He made a collage video from Camp & preseason of the scrubs he’d be playing with and showed it to them the night before. He was pretty emotional about it after the game. He knew it would be the last time they’d be together and perhaps the end of NFL dreams for many.

Class act and a veteran move. We don’t have that @ QB on this team if he leaves. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

When some starter goes down this season, his agent will get a call. No doubt. 

Well that's probably going to be us with his bad our line is combined with the gauntlet of pass rushers we face this season early on (Titans, chargers, Vikings, Texans...ugh).