Starters for the final game

Virgil

Is it strange to anyone that we haven’t named our starters at key positions yet?  The final preseason game is tomorrow. 

Also, if Peterman gets the nod, should he play longer tomorrow since he only got one game with the starters?

I worry a little about the lack of cohesion amongst our offensive starters as we drag out the competition. I know that teams like the Rams rested everyone, but they played together all of last year with success.  

Our QB and offensive line need that cohesion time. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dablitzkrieg said:

McDermott most likely won't name the starting QB until he has too, most likely the week of game day.  He thinks it gives him an advantage.  But I have news for him, behind this crappy o-line, it doesn't matter

There are things an OC can do to manipulate the offense in order to compensate for poor pass protection.  I want to see this from Daboll.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

There are things an OC can do to manipulate the offense in order to compensate for poor pass protection.  I want to see this from Daboll.

Damn right!!  I expect every TE to chip consistently, but the interior scares the hell out of me.  RPO's need to be in the playbook consistently as well

9 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

There is no penalty for saying a guy is starting and then not playing him. I’d announce the 3rd string qb as the starter and then start a different guy against the Ravens.

Pretty sneaky, sis!

I’m not disagreeing with what any of you are saying, but it worries me that none of our QB’s have received the normal amount of starting reps so far this preseason and training camp nor has the entire offensive line and the season starts in 10 days

21 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Is it strange to anyone that we haven’t named our starters at key positions yet?  The final preseason game is tomorrow. 

Also, if Peterman gets the nod, should he play longer tomorrow since he only got one game with the starters?

I worry a little about the lack of cohesion amongst our offensive starters as we drag out the competition. I know that teams like the Rams rested everyone, but they played together all of last year with success.  

I thought most of the coaches feel that they are getting that cohesion time more in TC than in the game.  

20 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

McDermott most likely won't name the starting QB until he has too, most likely the week of game day.  He thinks it gives him an advantage.  But I have news for him, behind this crappy o-line, it doesn't matter

That why as Lombardi and Romo have suggested they should let Allen play.

i think

Josh Allen could start week 1 (cant argue w the logic if they choose JA)

Nate Peterman should start week 1 (his preseason numbers are great.  if he plays well tomorrow he will have earned the right IMHO)

AJ McCarron will start week 1 (the coaches safety blanket and the perceived steadiest hand on a shaky ship -- will pick him to appease the vets on the team)

Edited by Bill Murray

Do we really think someone as detail oriented as McD doesn't already know who his day one starter is? Just because he's humming and hawing over it with media doesn't mean a thing. Regardless of who gets the bulk of the load tomorrow, expect heavy doses of Cadet, Ford and Taiwan Jones via handoffs. 

The only players on offense I'd have in street clothes tomorrow would be McCoy, Benjamin Murphy, Ivory and Clay.

After that pitiful performance Sunday I'd have the starters on the o-line play a half, they need the work. If one or more of them look like garbage again, get Teller, Bodine or some guy from the stands in for them.

All of the defensive starters should be in street clothes

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I’m not disagreeing with what any of you are saying, but it worries me that none of our QB’s have received the normal amount of starting reps so far this preseason and training camp nor has the entire offensive line and the season starts in 10 days

Dont worry. Trust the process. They know who the best guys are. I’d be more interested in them getting  more of them in the trenches, particularly interior O line and end. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Damn right!!  I expect every TE to chip consistently, but the interior scares the hell out of me.  RPO's need to be in the playbook consistently as well

I didnt see the first half mess but has anyone seen the RPO in the last 2 games at all? I have not. Perhaps the last 2 games were more about the OL then they were about QB.

58 minutes ago, Virgil said:

To me, this shows up with timing between the QB and the WR corps.  The first team WR's don't seem to have developed any rhythm with any of the three quarterbacks, except maybe Peterman.... but Benjamin at least has some prior experience with him.

IMHO if McCarron gets start it will be to showcase him for a trade this weekend.  Pretty good insurance for a backup needy team with a young starter (OAK and DAL) with playoff aspirations.

Could see McD and Beane going with NP early in the season and then switching to Josh after the bye.

Just now, freddyjj said:

IMHO if McCarron gets start it will be to showcase him for a trade this weekend.  Pretty good insurance for a backup needy team with a young starter (OAK and DAL) with playoff aspirations.

Could see McD and Beane going with NP early in the season and then switching to Josh after the bye.

Why would they trade him? With this OL they need 3 QBs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Why would they trade him? With this OL they need 3 QBs.

Please see attached.  OBD could get OL, CB or LB help in a trade.  More valuable than your 3rd string QB 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/8/29/17795228/financial-ramifications-moving-aj-mccarron-off-the-buffalo-bills-roster-nathan-peterman-josh-allen

Edited by freddyjj

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Provided that you don't have injuries.

The trend now in the NFL is to have two QBs on the 53 and an emergency QB.  Logan Thomas may make roster because he could be the 3rd QB and dress every week.  Its what the Bills did last year.  

Oakland/Gruden may be a better place for AJ anyways.  And we know Gruden loves him some NP.   Either guy could be sent out west

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

This is every indication of how the season will likely go, especially without either trench worth anything. I feel like teams that have "QB controversies" or "position battles" never really pan out during the subsequent season. There's no consistency, routine, or practice to build from to carry into the season, and the indecision shows. 

That being said, I don't know how you can choose a set of starters from what we currently have on either side of the ball, especially the OL. But without a consistent and set OL roster, what does the offense have to rely on? Also doesn't help that we don't have a QB1 yet, so no OL or even offensive players will be able to fully practice and learn each QB's cadence, play style, throws, etc. But hey, the obvious answer to this is that they are professionals, right?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Like put the long snapper in and have Allen stand where the punter normally stands as to give him time to throw?

Hey, I should be an offensive coordinator!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

Dunkirk said that his source      .........................             oh wait  there were never any leaks since McDermott and Beane took over 

3 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Please see attached.  OBD could get OL, CB or LB help in a trade.  More valuable than your 3rd string QB 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/8/29/17795228/financial-ramifications-moving-aj-mccarron-off-the-buffalo-bills-roster-nathan-peterman-josh-allen

Don't take this wrong  

Buffalo Rumblings   HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAaaaaaa 

4 hours ago, HansLanda said:

Do we really think someone as detail oriented as McD doesn't already know who his day one starter is? Just because he's humming and hawing over it with media doesn't mean a thing. Regardless of who gets the bulk of the load tomorrow, expect heavy doses of Cadet, Ford and Taiwan Jones via handoffs. 

He's sticking with the process.

26 minutes ago, Idandria said:

Like put the long snapper in and have Allen stand where the punter normally stands as to give him time to throw?

Hey, I should be an offensive coordinator!!

No, smartass.

You have the TE chip block the DE as he releases.

You shade the RB to one side and have him help or chip block.

With a heavy dose of run plays you run a lot of WR/RB screens, quick slants and fades to the TE’s/WR’s.  

You can then open it up and run and run double moves with a pump fake on the quick slants.  

You try to stay away from running passing plays that consistently take 4-5 seconds to develop.

Common man!  It’s not that hard.  This is exactly how Marsha Brady beats up on blitz heavy teams.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see either of the 3 QB's start this last game.  

1. AJM - Because he missed time and want more tape to evaluate him (especially if they are undecided on keeping 3 QB's or 2 QB's) or possibly showcase him for a potential trade.
  2. Allen - To get him more experience, regardless if he is consideration or not still to start.
  3. Nate - Because he hasn't played with the 1's since the first 2 drives in first preseason game and want to get him more reps with the 1's if he is going to start week 1

I can see reason for starting any of the 3 this week, regardless if they have or have not made up their mind on who starts week 1.  

I think some of the other positions havent been settled yet for reasons.  In some cases, the group has not played well and they are trying to find the best bad combo they can find (talking to OL group).  Others have guys expected to compete for spots high on the depth chart like at WR that have not been here long enough, like Zay and Coleman, so its still unsettled.  Others have some tight battles still like at TE, and even WR again as everyone behind say KB and Streater (those 2 had the best camp and preseason by a mile IMO) have all been about the same.  

So I think its mostly about that in a lot of these battles there have not been clear and obvious separation for a number of reasons such as injuries, late arrival via trade, and some tight battles.  

6 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Bribe them to block better?

I think they’d step it up for orange slices at halftime! 

2 hours ago, freddyjj said:

The trend now in the NFL is to have two QBs on the 53 and an emergency QB.  Logan Thomas may make roster because he could be the 3rd QB and dress every week.  Its what the Bills did last year.  

Oakland/Gruden may be a better place for AJ anyways.  And we know Gruden loves him some NP.   Either guy could be sent out west

I think I heard Mark Schlereth say this week that Russ Grimm was the emergency QB. Think about that....an offensive lineman stepping in at QB? I guess he was just super smart, and a good enough athlete to make it their plan. 

...pretty sure I read Nagy is resting ALL starters.....thus it wouldn't surprise me to see AJ get the start to test his health mettle and potentially advertise for a trade partner at some point (NOT NOW)....so our two's and three's versus theirs......maybe we can weed out OL candidates for Waste Management pickup on 9/1.............

14 hours ago, KollegeStudnet said:

It’s the last preseason game, the last game before the regular season. Make the Ravens work to game plan, because we already know the majority of their key starters. Still think the Bills win in Bmore.

I'm not sure how well one cam game plan from preseason, well other than blitzing every down and force the QB's to make mistakes.