Peterman will never live down the 5-pick half . . .

Dr. K

8 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The only way to erase it is to play some games and get some wins.  

Even then some here will never let it go.   

When your dubious distinction begins with “the ALL TIME NFL RECORD 5 INTERCEPTIONS in one half..”, it’ll Never be erased. 

I seriously doubt there’ll ever be a future time where an NFL Head Coach, upon seeing his QB toss a record tying 5th pick with time still remaining in the half, will let the guy back onto the field or allow him to attempt another pass. No one deserves to top Peterman’s ‘achievement’, regardless of how it was accomplished. At times, many teams don’t even get 5 Offensive series in a half, let alone ending them all with a Pick.

2 hours ago, Bills Wilk said:

Big part of the 5 int. half was the O-line not blocking for him because of their loyalty to Tyrod

whatever..

I swear, the bills could trot out a blind doberman with three legs behind center and you'd have fans here saying "ya, but who thought air bud would have done what he did?"

The guy sucks and he always will. It's not personal. He just doesn't have pro-level talent. Every game you start him is valuable in-game experience that Allen should be getting. 

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You proved mine yet again:  It's odd how marginally talented QBs garner so much support among cetain Bills' fans and if they are criticized people get defensive.  

You can always chose to ignore my posts. 

Boys, knock it off or you're not getting any dessert!

9 hours ago, Success said:

Didn’t Peyton Manning have a 6 pick game?

There is a long list of multiple 4 to 6 INT games by some great QB's.  

but those don't count because their name isn't Nate. 

Jim Hardy had 8 in 1950

Kenny Stabler had 7 in a game 

Steve DeBerg had 7 

Joe Namath had 6 twice 

Brett Favre  had 6

Peyyton Manning had 6

Ryan Fitpatric  had 6

Russel Wilson  had 5

Kurt Warner  had 5 twice 

Kyle Orton had 5

Warren Moon had 5 

Drew Bledsoe had 5 

John Elway had 5

Troy Aikman had 5 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_int_single_game.htm

the list stops at 4 but IIRC Tom Brady had 1 or 2 4 INT games one might have been against the Bills 

The team traveled to play their division rival Buffalo Bills and simply never got off the plane, as the Bills walloped them 31-0. Brady completed a mere 50% of his passes and threw four interceptions. 

The game still stands as the worst loss of his storied career.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

When your dubious distinction begins with “the ALL TIME NFL RECORD 5 INTERCEPTIONS in one half..”, it’ll Never be erased. 

I seriously doubt there’ll ever be a future time where an NFL Head Coach, upon seeing his QB toss a record tying 5th pick with time still remaining in the half, will let the guy back onto the field or allow him to attempt another pass. No one deserves to top Peterman’s ‘achievement’, regardless of how it was accomplished. At times, many teams don’t even get 5 Offensive series in a half, let alone ending them all with a Pick.

I agree he will never live it down.  

bit IF he can redeem himself,  IF it will diminish it a bit. 

Someone needs to contact  guinness world records

The National Football League (NFL) record for most interceptions recorded in a game by an individual is 4 held by 18 players, most recently accomplished by DeAngelo Hall (USA) while playing for the Washington Redskins against the Chicago Bears (both USA) on 24 October 2010.

I had forgotten this 

The decision to bench Taylor for Peterman came three days after the Bills' 47-10 loss to the Saints -- and on the heels of a two-game losing streak that not only dropped the Bills out of a tie atop the division with the Patriots but has them sitting at 5-4 with a tenuous hold on the AFC's final playoff spot.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Jim Hardy had 8 in 1950

Steve DeBerg had 7 

Joe Namath had 6 twice 

Brett Favre  had 6

Peyyton Manning had 6

Ryan Fitpatric  had 6

Russel Wilson  had 5

Kurt Warner  had 5 twice 

Kyle Orton had 5

Warren Moon had 5 

Drew Bledsoe had 5 

John Elway had 5

Troy Aikman had 5 

Most of, if not all the other guys, on that list didn't have those games as their first NFL start.

Poor first impressions are difficult to change, disasters like his first impression are almost impossible to overcome.

It's why first interviews for a job, why first meetings with a potential business partner, first dates, initial visit with a new doctor, hell even profile pictures, are so important.

I'm okay with giving the dude more shots, hell I'm encouraging it, and I actually respect the coach and fo in this sense for not taking that one half as gospel for the rest of his career.

If he sucks he sucks, if he's good he's good.

Neither can be garnered from that one fateful start, against the most ferocious pass rush in the league, against the hottest team in the NFL at the time.

17 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

The rules committee should let him throw off of a pitching mound. If they won’t, start Allen.

Maybe that will slow the incoming pass rush for more than 0.2 seconds if they have to run uphill

Probably not though

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

It was the worst half in the history of the game.  It wasn't his fault.  His O-Line unofficially went on strike (rotten bastards), but he threw the INTs, so it's forever linked to him.

When someone throws six picks in a half, then people will forget about Peterman.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Ahh the 26cornerblitz crusade against Nate.  Will it ever get old? 

AMEN brother.     

I think Nate peed on his dog.

Just now, Gugny said:

It was the worst half in the history of the game.  It wasn't his fault.  His O-Line unofficially went on strike (rotten bastards), but he threw the INTs, so it's forever linked to him.

When someone throws six picks in a half, then people will forget about Peterman.

What if it's Peterman who does it?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

What if it's Peterman who does it?

Then the record should be named after him for eternity, whether it's broken, or not.  And his name should also become a verb.

"Dude, did you see that CIN/PIT game?  Roethlisberger totally Petermaned the second half.  Threw 3 picks in the last 4 minutes of the game!"

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Then the record should be named after him for eternity, whether it's broken, or not.  And his name should also become a verb.

"Dude, did you see that CIN/PIT game?  Roethlisberger totally Petermaned the second half.  Threw 3 picks in the last 4 minutes of the game!"

So he'd replace "Romoing" or 'romoed"?

??

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think he did it to wipe out a Fitz 3 in a row record

/sarc   

this statement was pure fiction 

I just dont see that Peterman has the physical ability to ever move beyond Fitz level. I think that is the general concern with the guy, and I dont see malice against him personally.   Are the people in my camp missing something?   I hope so but doubt it.  But listen, if he starts everyone will be cheering like hell.  But my PERSONAL expectations are pretty low.

9 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The only way to erase it is to play some games and get some wins.  

Even then some here will never let it go.   

He could be walking off the field, just having led us to a 24-17 super bowl victory, and some here would be bitching about missed opportunities, and how if it weren’t for his inaccuracy, it could’ve been a three-possession score differential instead of one. 

The team traveled to play their division rival Buffalo Bills and simply never got off the plane, as the Bills walloped them 31-0. Brady completed a mere 50% of his passes and threw four interceptions. The game still stands as the worst loss of his storied career.

Any time Brady throws four interceptions, it’s surprising for his fans and critics alike. We saw him do this against the Bills in 2003, but he’s only done it six times in 256 career games (including the playoffs). Well, this game against the Kansas City Chiefs back in 2005 saw No. 12 look vulnerable once again. Aside from throwing four picks, Brady was only able to complete a little over 50% of his pass attempts. To make matters worse, the Patriots also lost the game 26-16. Brady went on to lose in the playoffs for the first time in his career following the 2005 season after nine straight postseason wins.

In a season that saw the Patriots fall to Peyton Manning and the Colts in the AFC Championship game, Brady also struggled with Indianapolis during the 2006 regular season. It was another one of those horrific zero touchdown/four interception games for Brady, as New England lost by seven points at home. Brady failed to reach a completion percentage of 60% in the loss against his friend and rival Manning.

Damn  Who knew he had so many

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl-worst-performances-tom-bradys-career.html/

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

2 hours ago, mattynh said:

He can live it down by playing well......in the regular season.

I think some of you are missing the point.

It wasn't a bad game.

It was THE bad game.

Optically it was the worst QB'ing performance in the modern era of pro football.

And because of the importance of the position...........therefore arguably the worst performance by a player in NFL history.

Not worst FIRST performance...........that is a given.........just simply the worst.

He can go on to win 5 Super Bowls and it will still be brought up.

The only way it won't is if someone clearly surpasses that level of awful.............which is hard to imagine...........I mean a QB can't do that by himself........he needs a HC to have the kind of awful decision making week/game that McDermott had.    That in itself was epic.

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

1st Int:  Off the hands of Demarco. Good throw while running for his life in the face of three rushers
2nd Int:  Underthrows receiver. Couldn't step up in pocket as he was being hit by two defenders. Good read (man was open), but ill-advised throw as he didn't have the arm to throw off his back foot
3rd Int:  Hit (in less than 1.5 seconds from the snap) during the throw
4th Int:  Hit (in less than 1.5 seconds from the snap) during the throw (although this type of throw is one he typically has trouble with due to lack of arm strength)
5th Int. The receiver ran a 12 yard route and (it appeared to me) Peterman  threw the ball for a go route. Can't say which one was at fault.

IMHO, I saw one ill-advised throw of the five interceptions. Even that was a good read in the face of pressure. I did not see total panic, complete loss of composure, or no regard for ball security. What I saw was a combination of factors that led to the five interceptions. Peterman certainly has his share of blame and the results were clearly what they were; however, I do not believe his performance was nearly as bad as the stat line indicated.

1st INT: Primarily on DiMarco, but NP shares in the blame by throwing the ball with too much heat. 

2nd INT: Take a sack and live for the next down.

3rd INT:  Take a sack and live for the next down.

4th INT:  Take a sack and live for the next down.

5th INT:  Good point by you as it's hard to know who was at fault.

Let's not forget there was a potential 6th INT that was dropped by an LAC DB.   All in all it was a very poor display of NFL quarterbacking.  At any rate that's in his past, so we'll see how much he's actually progressed when he next takes the field in the regular season. 

10 hours ago, Dr. K said:

. . . . no matter how long he plays in the league or what he does or does not accomplish. If he dies seventy years from now, the first line of his obituary will be , "Nathan Peterman, who threw five interceptions in his first half of football, died today at the age of ninety-three." He might as well make "Fivepicks" his middle name and get it tattooed on his forehead.

This is just an observation, not a value judgment. That one half of football will hang around his neck unless and until he does something spectacular like win a Super Bowl, and even then it will be the first thing any story about him, even one praising him, will start with. Granted, it can't be denied that he did the deed; he was trying to be the anti-Tyrod and he erred in the other direction, disastrously.

There have been QBs in the league who have less to offer but had decent careers--that's my opinion, not some universal truth. But it's kind of a drag to contemplate having a single afternoon characterize you for the rest of your career. 

Allen is suffering something similar, where the conventional wisdom of his abilities or non-abilities--completion percentage, for instance--is the story line that he will have to fight against for a long time. But in his case I don't think it's quite as large an albatross. 

Completely disagree if he plays well people will only have that 1st game as a footnote to showing that rookies need some time and can develop.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I agree he will never live it down.  

bit IF he can redeem himself,  IF it will diminish it a bit. 

Someone needs to contact  guinness world records

The National Football League (NFL) record for most interceptions recorded in a game by an individual is 4 held by 18 players, most recently accomplished by DeAngelo Hall (USA) while playing for the Washington Redskins against the Chicago Bears (both USA) on 24 October 2010.

I had forgotten this 

The decision to bench Taylor for Peterman came three days after the Bills' 47-10 loss to the Saints -- and on the heels of a two-game losing streak that not only dropped the Bills out of a tie atop the division with the Patriots but has them sitting at 5-4 with a tenuous hold on the AFC's final playoff spot.

The record you reference is most interceptions in a game by 1 player -as in a DB intercepting 4 passes (DeAngelo Hall). Peterman is on the other side of this, THROWING the interceptions.

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He needs a nickname or a logo or something.

Five piece?

5x?

Could've been worse.........he had seven drives in that half:

-5 of them resulted in pics

-1 was just handoffs to McCoy for a TD(which I guess was the one drive he wasn't trying to be the anti-Tyrod)

-and the OTHER drive he fumbled a snap and then threw a would-be pic six that the Chargers CB dropped.    Should've been a six pack(which incidentally would not have sat well with him or his congregation as 6 is the number of the beast and so forth).

rather be in that congregation than the congregation of the veteran who scored a whopping 3 in a playoff game. 

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Jim Hardy had 8 in 1950

Steve DeBerg had 7 

Joe Namath had 6 twice 

Brett Favre  had 6

Peyyton Manning had 6

Ryan Fitpatric  had 6

Russel Wilson  had 5

Kurt Warner  had 5 twice 

Kyle Orton had 5

Warren Moon had 5 

Drew Bledsoe had 5 

John Elway had 5

Troy Aikman had 5 

the list stops at 4 but IIRC Tom Brady had 1 or 2 4 INT games one might have been against the Bills 

The team traveled to play their division rival Buffalo Bills and simply never got off the plane, as the Bills walloped them 31-0. Brady completed a mere 50% of his passes and threw four interceptions. 

The game still stands as the worst loss of his storied career.

These are for a game, not a half.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think some of you are missing the point.

It wasn't a bad game.

It was THE bad game.

Optically it was the worst QB'ing performance in the modern era of pro football.

And because of the importance of the position...........therefore arguably the worst performance by a player in NFL history.

Not worst FIRST performance...........that is a given.........just simply the worst.

He can go on to win 5 Super Bowls and it will still be brought up.

The only way it won't is if someone clearly surpasses that level of awful.............which is hard to imagine...........I mean a QB can't do that by himself........he needs a HC to have the kind of awful decision making week/game that McDermott had.    That in itself was epic.

But it would not define him like it does now.   I do get how bad the performance was....it took Tyrod the entire rest of the season to throw the same number.   Peterman has some good qualities but his throws to the sideline are a td the other way waiting to happen.  Saw it the other night...when things are for real I think he will still struggle.    But it looks like he may get the chance to prove that wrong.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

1st INT: Primarily on DiMarco, but NP shares in the blame by throwing the ball with too much heat. 

2nd INT: Take a sack and live for the next down.

3rd INT:  Take a sack and live for the next down.

4th INT:  Take a sack and live for the next down.

5th INT:  Good point by you as it's hard to know who was at fault.

Let's not forget there was a potential 6th INT that was dropped by an LAC DB.   All in all it was a very poor display of NFL quarterbacking.  At any rate that's in his past, so we'll see how much he's actually progressed when he next takes the field in the regular season. 

1st INT: That ball should be caught 100 out of 100 times at the NFL level. 

2nd INT: Agree he should have taken a sack and live for the next down.

3rd INT:  Hit in the middle of a throw on a three step drop - more on the O-line than on him.

4th INT:  Hit in the middle of a throw on a three step drop - more on the O-line than on him.

I have never been an advocate for Peterman; however, IMO, he took far too much blame for that performance.

• Like (+1) 1