Peterman will never live down the 5-pick half . . .

Dr. K

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I knew it was just a matter of time before someone brought that up.  :lol:  Brady never panicked like that even in his early days as a game manager. Are you predicting a Brady level career for Peterman? 

How about we play some games and see what he does instead of all this built up bile. I guess in your world nobody can ever grow and improve.

Edited by Green Lightning

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

How about we play some games and see what he does instead of all this built up bile. I guess in your world nobody can ever grow and improve.

We'll see when he's next between the white lines in real game action that could be in Baltimore on 9/9. 

How about reading that I already stated that. 

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

You did, between multiple posts denigrating him.

Denigrate? I described what occurred and/or pointed out his demonstrated flaws. Sorry if you can't handle it. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Success said:

Didn’t Peyton Manning have a 6 pick game?

Yea, but he's Peyton Manning. Not Nathan Peterman. Also Peyton probably did that in a full game, not a half.

He won't live it down, nor should he when it comes to discussing him as a football player. He played I think the worst I've ever seen a qb play. Because he's a Bill I'm supposed to ignore that?

What is the definition of a crusade? Is it injecting your (well known,  already) beliefs in every discussion about Peterman so that it ruins the possibility of any positive discourse in the thread? 

We get it.  You don't think he's a good QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Needle said:

A situation like that can sometimes fuel a person's drive to work harder or focus more. 

I dont think Peterman needs to be Brady in order to be satisfied with his career.

Half wits need him to fail, so they can congratulate themselves on a message board.

That's not it at all. We just don't think he's good. It does me nothing but good things for him to succeed in a Bills jersey.

Some of us have just seen this crap go down over and over again and know better. Start with Flutie, JP, Holcomb, Trent, Fitz, Tuel. These back up qbs aren't coveted for a reason. Remember when everyone wanted Volek? 

2 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

What is the definition of a crusade? Is it injecting your (well known,  already) beliefs in every discussion about Peterman so that it ruins the possibility of any positive discourse in the thread? 

Aren't we here to discuss our opinions? Is someone supposed to change their opinions because you want positive discourse?

You say this in a way that you don't even want a debate, you just want praise heaped upon a guy for no reason. I'll give him that he has played well in the pre season, perhaps I'm more shell shocked than him. Every time he drops back I'm bracing for an interception. Especially on the out routes.

6 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Now that is weak. If you have positives then counter with a convincing fact based argument in support of Peterman. 

Let’s be honest: Peterman at 23 sucked. Peterman at 24 is better. Allen at 22 is looking serviceable. Allen at 23, 24 we don’t know. I like Allen, but I’m willing to admit to this point Peterman is slightly better in 2018. All of that aside the question is does McD & Beane think playing Allen in 2018 help his development more than developing Peterman? You have to wonder if watching the tape of every Peterman out route & hitch demonstrate his physical limitations to the point they are willing to take the Allen rookie growing pains? I believe when the dust settles they will select Allen as their starter. 

9 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Aren't we here to discuss our opinions? Is someone supposed to change their opinions because you want positive discourse?

You say this in a way that you don't even want a debate, you just want praise heaped upon a guy for no reason. I'll give him that he has played well in the pre season, perhaps I'm more shell shocked than him. Every time he drops back I'm bracing for an interception. Especially on the out routes.

No. I'm all for you,  me,  and anyone with an opinion expressing that. It's tiresome to hear certain posters (not you) repeat the same thing in every thread.  And,  not just once in the thread.... but polluting each thread with 10 or 15 posts.  

Edited by Sig1Hunter
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

Let’s be honest: Peterman at 23 sucked. Peterman at 24 is better. Allen at 22 is looking serviceable. Allen at 23, 24 we don’t know. I like Allen, but I’m willing to admit to this point Peterman is slightly better in 2018. All of that aside the question is does McD & Beane think playing Allen in 2018 help his development more than developing Peterman? You have to wonder if watching the tape of every Peterman out route & hitch demonstrate his physical limitations to the point they are willing to take the Allen rookie growing pains? I believe when the dust settles they will select Allen as their starter. 

I really think your point on physical limitations is what ultimately hinders him.

By all accounts, he's a good guy, hard worker, smart. Yet I just don't think he has the arm. He'll probably hang around the league.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Now that is weak. If you have positives then counter with a convincing fact based argument in support of Peterman. 

So that you can continue to brow beat and talk down to me like you do with anyone else who shares a non-negative opinion about Peterman? 

Here's my opinion: Peterman has looked pretty darn good in the preseason.   The best out of all three QBs.  I believe he's shown significant growth from his rookie year.  He probably should start. I'd throw out his preseason stats,  but others have already done that in other threads and you immediately dismiss it with "it's just preseason". I don't really feel like debating with a wall. So,  I'll just leave my opinion at that.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I really think your point on physical limitations is what ultimately hinders him.

By all accounts, he's a good guy, hard worker, smart. Yet I just don't think he has the arm. He'll probably hang around the league.

He’s got a weaker arm, sub Chad Pennington in a climate that isn’t conducive to average arms. Wtf did they draft Allen? Remember what Beane said he wanted in a QB. Also Peterman got concussed in 2017 vs Colts. Allen has shown he’s got the arm, and the physicality to drive the ball threw the conditions. To that end he must be named the starter.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's odd how marginally talented QBs garner so much support among cetain Bills' fans and if they are criticized people get defensive.  

And yet another post by you to prove my point. You never miss an opportunity to marginalize NP. You think little of him as a QB, we get it.

Just now, Sig1Hunter said:

So that you can continue to brow beat and talk down to me like you do with anyone else who shares a non-negative opinion about Peterman? 

Here's my opinion: Peterman has looked pretty darn good in the preseason.   The best out of all three QBs.  I believe he's shown significant growth from his rookie year.  He probably should start. I'd throw out his preseason stats,  but others have already done that in other threads and you immediately dismiss it with "it's just preseason". I don't really feel like debating with a wall. So,  I'll just leave my opinion at that.  

Brow beating? Hardly. You were whining about me obviously and now you'd like to play victim.  I said the same thing last year regarding Peterman that preseason doesn't mean much regarding games that really count for a variety of reasons. If a wall means prove yourself in the regular season when the games are faster against NFL caliber players with complex defenses that are designed to expose weaknesses then that's exactly what I am. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

And yet another post by you to prove my point. You never miss an opportunity to marginalize NP. You think little of him as a QB, we get it.

You proved mine yet again:  It's odd how marginally talented QBs garner so much support among cetain Bills' fans and if they are criticized people get defensive.  

You can always chose to ignore my posts. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So you don't think it bothers him in the least being asked about it constantly?

I think you are probably wrong about that.

It's nice that he has been able to compartmentalize it out......... but he's still shown a propensity to throw very interceptable balls to the most vulnerable place on the field.............short memory is for cornerbacks.........QB's need to know their limitations.

He'll grow out of it!

2 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Yea, but he's Peyton Manning. Not Nathan Peterman. Also Peyton probably did that in a full game, not a half.

He won't live it down, nor should he when it comes to discussing him as a football player. He played I think the worst I've ever seen a qb play. Because he's a Bill I'm supposed to ignore that?

You do know,Jim Kelly played some horrific games too,right?

His career turn out ok.

I use to close my eyes when he threw passes in the red zone!I still think he holds the record for the most interceptions in the red zone by any QB!  

5 hours ago, Dr. K said:

. . . . no matter how long he plays in the league or what he does or does not accomplish. If he dies seventy years from now, the first line of his obituary will be , "Nathan Peterman, who threw five interceptions in his first half of football, died today at the age of ninety-three." He might as well make "Fivepicks" his middle name and get it tattooed on his forehead.

This is just an observation, not a value judgment. That one half of football will hang around his neck unless and until he does something spectacular like win a Super Bowl, and even then it will be the first thing any story about him, even one praising him, will start with. Granted, it can't be denied that he did the deed; he was trying to be the anti-Tyrod and he erred in the other direction, disastrously.

There have been QBs in the league who have less to offer but had decent careers--that's my opinion, not some universal truth. But it's kind of a drag to contemplate having a single afternoon characterize you for the rest of your career. 

Allen is suffering something similar, where the conventional wisdom of his abilities or non-abilities--completion percentage, for instance--is the story line that he will have to fight against for a long time. But in his case I don't think it's quite as large an albatross. 

Sadly, people forget he was even our starter for the snow game. And he threw 0 interceptions & a TD before getting injured late in the game. 

21 minutes ago, Buffaloflash said:

You do know,Jim Kelly played some horrific games too,right?

His career turn out ok.

I use to close my eyes when he threw passes in the red zone!I still think he holds the record for the most interceptions in the red zone by any QB!  

Wouldn't surprise me. He used to freak me out too. It's not like he ever had the greatest TD/INT ratio. I'm pretty sure he even threw more INT's than TD's (or broke even) several times in his career.

But yeah, he turned out pretty decent too.

1 hour ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Unfortunately, the 5 INT half may not be the worst we have seen.  If he starts the first four games he probably adds 5 or 6 more picks and no wins.

5 or 6 picks spread over 4 games wouldn't be nearly that bad, especially if he had a serviceable amount of TD's to go along with them. Especially when compared to 5 in one half...

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What you saw was a lack of pocket mobility, total panic, a complete loss of composure, and no regard for ball security. 

1st Int:  Off the hands of Demarco. Good throw while running for his life in the face of three rushers
2nd Int:  Underthrows receiver. Couldn't step up in pocket as he was being hit by two defenders. Good read (man was open), but ill-advised throw as he didn't have the arm to throw off his back foot
3rd Int:  Hit (in less than 1.5 seconds from the snap) during the throw
4th Int:  Hit (in less than 1.5 seconds from the snap) during the throw (although this type of throw is one he typically has trouble with due to lack of arm strength)
5th Int. The receiver ran a 12 yard route and (it appeared to me) Peterman  threw the ball for a go route. Can't say which one was at fault.

IMHO, I saw one ill-advised throw of the five interceptions. Even that was a good read in the face of pressure. I did not see total panic, complete loss of composure, or no regard for ball security. What I saw was a combination of factors that led to the five interceptions. Peterman certainly has his share of blame and the results were clearly what they were; however, I do not believe his performance was nearly as bad as the stat line indicated.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2

It is very unfortunate that game against the Chargers has derailed this young man’s life and shaken him to the core to such a degree that after this preseason he is likely our game 1 starter.

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely agree with the OP’s original statement. I’m just impressed that this kid seems to be forged from harder stuff than that which might have brought others down.

Go Bills, whether it is Peterman or Allen (unlikely AJ at this point),

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The only way to erase it is to play some games and get some wins.  

Even then some here will never let it go.   

....he has atoned for "the five" IMO......kid was a 5th, a damn FIFTH and certainly has made steady progress in his development, more so than I would have expected at this juncture...