Peterman will never live down the 5-pick half . . .

Dr. K

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Please!  Tyrod was still the same guy upon his return and do you actually believe the Saints were going all out against NP when they were up 47-3?  Those numbers should be thrown in the trash can. 

While it is true that he did go into his shell against the Patriots the week after the Chiefs win. Tyrod did play better against the Dolphins 2x and the Patriots the second time. He found his shell again for the Jags playoff game and hence a big reason for trading him away and trading up for a QB. 

Speaking of that Chiefs win Tyrod did play better on the road at Arrowhead against a future playoff team and he ended that game with a rating of 94.5. 

Looking at those numbers Peterman had against the Saints when they were dominating the Bills in that game I can see why McD might take a chance in starting him the following week. I'm not making excuses for anyone as I'm just giving my 2 cents. 

6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Was that the game Gino Smith got the W?  

Last year against the Jets (the away game).

I had to look up how many time TT got sacked.

It was 7.  The OL was atrocious.

Bills were down 34-7 with 6 minutes left in the game.

Bills scored 2 TDs in garbage time.

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I think that the Peterman start was a part of a big reason as to why OC Rick Dennison was fired as he probably told McD that the guy was ready to make a start. 

As bad as it looked... it was actually a good thing because it lit a fire under Tyrod's butt and he stopped being so tentative like he was against the Saints which got him benched in the first place.   

Anyone else recalls that in more than three quarters against that New Orleans team Tyrod went 9 of 18 for 56 yards, one INT with a rate of 33.6. Then Peterman came in late in the fourth quarter and went 7 of 10 for 79 yards and one TD with a rate of 126.7.

Yeah, Tyrod was tentative and terrible. But I’m not sure about giving NP so much credit. It was fourth quarter mop up duty vs prevent in an embarrassing blowout. Plenty of guys have put up nice looking numbers in that circumstance. 

Just now, Nihilarian said:

While it is true that he did go into his shell against the Patriots the week after the Chiefs win. Tyrod did play better against the Dolphins 2x and the Patriots the second time. He found his shell again for the Jags playoff game and hence a big reason for trading him away and trading up for a QB. 

Speaking of that Chiefs win Tyrod did play better on the road at Arrowhead against a future playoff team and he ended that game with a rating of 94.5. 

Looking at those numbers Peterman had against the Saints when they were dominating the Bills in that game I can see why McD might take a chance in starting him the following week. I'm not making excuses for anyone as I'm just giving my 2 cents. 

Tyrod always had excellent numbers against the Dolphins for some reason and to my eye he was the low risk game manager in the KC game.

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Was that the game Gino Smith got the W?  

Flag on the play            a DPI was called was it not?  

After that he went 9 for 9.   

But feel free to disregard what happened and speak poorly of the kid (endlessly it seems).

Lets go Josh!!!! 

Flag on what play?  

I love that when someone speaks about him HONESTLY, its as if there is an agenda.  Especially since you are the king of agendas.  I like the kid and would love him to prove me wrong.  BUT he has yet to do that.  You look at stat sheets, I watch the games.  What I see on the field does not alleviate the concerns I have about his ability to win and be consistent in the NFL.  Nothing would make me happier then to see this kid excel, I have NO ROOTED interest in his failure, unlike people here who were more invested in TT failing, so much so, they still are now even with him on another team.  

But the bottom line is simple:  In 52 pass attempts in regular and post season, he has 6 INTS and 3 Fumbles.  He was AWFUL in the face of pressure, beyond awful actually.  Has NOT faced that kind of pressure yet this preseason to show me he can handle it better.  AJM and Allen faced an insane amount more of pass rush pressure than NP has because his ONLY time with the 1's was in the first game that was so vanilla our OL looked solid.  And of course, he still threw a pick in that stint too.  

So while people want to look at his stat line, I watch what I see on the field.  Yes, he certainly had success this preseason, but its grossly exaggerated.  His TD's the last 2 weeks were the result of broken pass coverage on the D, and a dump off where Croom created the TD on his own.  Glad he led those drives, but certainly does not make me go "Oh this kid suddenly has it now" either.  I could have thrown both those TD's.  At the same time, I still see a lot of air on his throws, I see him throwing passes that are nearly picked still, I see him be the only QB to turn the ball over, I see him as a liability on the sideline throws, I see him lack a good deep ball.  

Put it all together, and DC's get to focus on taking the short timing out of play because he has not shown to be able to beat you deep or on the sidelines.  Its mind boggling how people don't seem to grasp how much easier it is for a defense to gameplan when you only have to focus on taking away a small part of their game because they are mistake prone when going outside those areas or don't have the physical tools to do so.

But hey, I guess being honest about real concerns about him just means you hate him.  PLEASE PLEASE prove me wrong Nate, I will buy your jersey in a heartbeat.  But sorry, the fools gold preseason where all the top 5 QB's are career backups in the stat box doesnt make me forget the REAL concerns about his ability to be good starter.  

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Last year against the Jets (the away game).

I had to look up how many time TT got sacked.

It was 7.  The OL was atrocious.

Bills were down 34-7 with 6 minutes left in the game.

Bills scored 2 TDs in garbage time.

I was't referring to last season.   My mistake ...  I was thinking back a few years   OOPS

I'm getting ready to bolt from worked and I rushed through.  

My fan club seems to be enjoying it  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

The defense went to sleep as well. The offensive and defensive lines got dominated in that Jets TNF game. Tyrod got blamed by most here when he was the only one who actually played half way decent bailing then out of long 2nd and 3rd downs. The next game EVERYONE was awful against the Saints. For some reason Tyrod was benched because of it. 

I agree he was looking for a spark. It was really dumb to think Peterman could provide it. 

I recall McDermott saying all along that he did not want to play Nate until he was ready.  (Well he wasn’t) 

Something more than the OCs asking for a change had to sway SM.  

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

Oh, yeah? I think he already has.

...of course he has.....picked himself up, came back working his arse off and it has shown so far....he's a 5th, a DAMN FIFTH.....what exactly would be the ;logical expectation for a FIFTH in his SECOND pre-season?.....but I'd sure as hell look would forward to OBD drafting me so I could walk down the pigeon stained "WELCOME mat" with the TBD experts throwing me "kisses"....kiss my........this joint gets better than Rowan & Martin's "Laugh In"..........

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure why this needed its own thread, as this topic has been discussed, ad nauseum, in the “Peterman Starts” thread. 

Be that as it may, if people refuse to forget that performance, it’s because that’s what happens when you make history.  

8 hours ago, mattynh said:

But it would not define him like it does now.   I do get how bad the performance was....it took Tyrod the entire rest of the season to throw the same number.   Peterman has some good qualities but his throws to the sideline are a td the other way waiting to happen.  Saw it the other night...when things are for real I think he will still struggle.    But it looks like he may get the chance to prove that wrong.

Yes it's true that if he won a SB that 5 interception half wouldn't define him.

Short of that........not sure.

Turnover shaming of QB's is real.

And perhaps rightfully so..........the FIRST and most basic requirement of the QB is to protect the football.

Turnover differential is second only to the score itself as a predictor of winner/loser of a game.............and that's across all eras.

Ask Dave Krieg............dude was a very good QB but all anyone remembers of him are the turnovers. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

We’ll get some insight in 2 weeks (unless Josh plays a tomorrow for more than a few series)

but then again. Get right back on the horse.  

I always called it "get back on the whores" not horse. That's jus the Duff's mentality though.

• Haha (+1) 1

I agree that it will be hard for him to live that down. but even the best qbs have had games along the same lines.   All will be forgiven if he plays well.

Side note:  I will never forget that game as i always worked sunday brunches and was super excited that i would be able to watch the whole game cause it was a 4 or 430 game and I would be out in time....well i had a seizure at work and watched the whole thing from a hospital bed at strong...the only funny part was it was easy to tell who was watching the game and were bills fans cause with every pick the groans and moans that emanated from the ER dept  were more apparent with every pick....Needless to say a bad day for me all around

21 minutes ago, Moulds_80 said:

Side note:  I will never forget that game as i always worked sunday brunches and was super excited that i would be able to watch the whole game cause it was a 4 or 430 game and I would be out in time....well i had a seizure at work and watched the whole thing from a hospital bed at strong...the only funny part was it was easy to tell who was watching the game and were bills fans cause with every pick the groans and moans that emanated from the ER dept  were more apparent with every pick....Needless to say a bad day for me all around

Well the good news is it appears you've recovered nicely, and maybe Peterman has to, because he definitely had a seizure at work that day too !

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

He's earned a shot at redemption vs the Chargers.

But he might prefer his shot against UB. I hope we do a little of that....what’s it called.....blocking? Yeah, blocking would be great! I want to hear Bosa whining “hey, they’re getting in my way!” on the mic’ed up replay. 

Edited by Augie

57 minutes ago, Augie said:

But he might prefer his shot against UB. I hope we do a little of that....what’s it called.....blocking? Yeah, blocking would be great! I want to hear Bosa whining “hey, they’re getting in my way!” on the mic’ed up replay. 

Jordan Mills mic'd up against the Chargers:

"Get ready, Nate! I'mma try blocking Joey for ya!!"

22 hours ago, Success said:

Didn’t Peyton Manning have a 6 pick game?

I looked this up back in January and found the post. Here's it is:

Fortunately for you, I have an important presentation I need to finish this weekend. So, I was looking for a way to procrastinate and this is the perfect thing to do instead. Who doesn't like a little pro football reference wormhole on a Friday night?

Join me, as we delve into the fascinating world of the "Fantastic Fives", QBs who have thrown 5 or more INTs in a game (since 1999). 

Since 1999, QBs who have thrown 5 INTs in one half:

• Ty Detmer (DET) had 5 in the 2nd half against the Browns in 2001. Threw 7 INTs that day. 
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick (NYJ) had 5 in the 2nd half against the Chiefs in 2016. Had 6 INTs that day. Threw an INT on 5 straight drives, in fact. 
  • Nathan Peterman (BUF) had 5 in the 1st half against the Chargers in 2017. 

How about 4 in a half? 

• Peyton Manning (IND) had 4 in the 1st Quarter against the Chargers in 2007. Threw 2 more that day, 1 on the opening drive of the 3rd Q and 1 more in the 4th. Along with Peyton's 6 INTs that day, the Colts also missed 2 FGs and lost the game 23-21. 
  • Troy Aikman (DAL) threw 4 in the 1st half against the Giants in 2000. Had 5 INTs that day.
  • Matt Barkley (CHI) threw 4 in the 2nd half against the Redskins in 2016. Had 5 INTs that day. 
  • Drew Bledsoe (NE) had 4 in the 2nd half against the Dolphins in 1999. Had 5 INTs that day. 
  • Daunte Culpepper (MIN) threw 4 in the 2nd half against the Bengals in 2005. Just missed the 5 in one half club by 1:06. 5 INTs that day. 
  • Brett Favre (GB) threw 4 on 4 straight drives in the 2nd half, also against the Bengals in 2005. Had 5 INTs that day. 
  • Josh Freeman (TB) had 4 in the 2nd half against the Panthers in 2009. Had 5 INTs that day. 
  • Dan Marino (MIA) had 4 in the 2nd half against the Cowboys in 1999. Had 5 INTs that day. 
  • Kyle Orton (CHI) threw 4 in the 1st half against the Bengals in 2005. Had 5 INTs that day. 
  • Ben Roethlisberger (PIT) threw 4 in the 2nd half against the Jaguars in 2017. Had 5 INTs that day. 
  • Tony Romo (DAL) had 4 in the 2nd half against the Bears in 2012. Had 5 INTs that day. 
  • Tony Romo (DAL) checks in again with 4 in the 1st half against the Bills in 2007. Had 5 INTs that day.

Honorable Mention: 

• Mark Sanchez (NYJ) threw 3 INTs in the 2nd half against the Bills in 2009. He also threw 1 INT in the 1st and 1 INT in OT. Steve Weatherford also threw an INT in OT on a fake punt attempt.
  • Chris Chandler (STL) threw 3 INTs in each half against the Panthers in 2004. That lesson in symmetry resulted in 6 INTs on the day. 

The rest of the games can be found here and were mostly 3/2 or 2/3 splits between the two halves. But who cares about those -- It's not like any of them was a rookie throwing 5 INTs in one half in his 1st ever start, am I right? 

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm fairly certain that Nathan Peterman is the only guy on this list who was playing in his 1st NFL start. At least, since 1999. 

One more "Fun 5INT Fact" for today:  A QB has thrown 5 INTs in a game 225 times in NFL history. 

Here's the link to the full thread if you're interested:

9 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean, he shouldn’t.  It was one of the worst Starts in nfl history.  But I blame McDermott more than Peterman, who clearly wasn’t ready. Awful, awful decision.

that said, no reason NP can’t have a solid career still.  I think he has career backup all over him, which is solid. 

Mcdermott had no choice.    The 56 yard kid just lost by 37 points 

Edited by Teddy KGB

54 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Tony Romo (DAL) checks in again with 4 in the 1st half against the Bills in 2007. Had 5 INTs that day.

i was at that game. It was awesome until the bitter end. George Wilson got at least one. Chris Kelsay got one by chasing Romo into the EZ.  Chris blocked the pass and caught it for a TD.  Trent's 4th quarter pick was costly.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean, he shouldn’t.  It was one of the worst Starts in nfl history.  But I blame McDermott more than Peterman, who clearly wasn’t ready. Awful, awful decision.

that said, no reason NP can’t have a solid career still.  I think he has career backup all over him, which is solid. 

I still don't blame McDermott. In fact I love him for it. I respect a great deal he will make a choice and take a punch on the chin to make the team better. I've always said this. He looked stupid but he did it because he thought he could bring me the fan more entertainment. The offense was boring. 

It was entertaining no one can deny that. Most of us knew the obvious that Tyrod stalls to complete stops. He had a QB that showed decent in Preseason and probably was interested in seeing what would happen. 

He did the same thing with Allen in the Bengals preseason. No denying that was trial by fire. You have to be fast. I love how Sean McDermott thinks. Now some of the Allen hype has died and a boy will grow up and be humble. 

Peterman is the most humbled QB in the entire NFL. 

Edited by Lfod

After That performance last year he deserves to be out of the league. Only with the Bills, do feelings trump talent. 

such sensitvie ❄️’s.   McDermott worries me. 

Edited by COTC

18 minutes ago, COTC said:

After That performance last year he deserves to be out of the league. Only with the Bills, do feelings trump talent. 

Honestly if you ask me Tyrod had performances last season that merited being benched regardless of who was sitting behind him. 

Honestly the entire offense put on a few performances as a whole in games that made it look like they didn't even play in the game. 

I think Coach did a fine job with what he inherited. Rick Dennison couldn't make Tyrod a QB. Rick is gone, Tyrods gone. A lot of dudes gone. A few dudes brought in. This is a ride it out season with a new offensive coordinator. 

Patience man. I believe this won't be a perfect season but I can promise you one thing. This team will fight.

Edited by Lfod

32 minutes ago, COTC said:

Ben Roethlisberger threw 5 INTs in a game last year, too. Two of them were run back for TDs. 

Should he have been sent packing to never play again?

If you go back and look, I posted a list containing  many examples of QBs who had 5+ INTs in a game. It happens. It happens to Super Bowl MVPs and it happens to 5th round rookies in their 1st ever start. Get over it. 

Tyrod Taylor had multiple games last year with less than 100 yards passing going into the 4th Q. Were you thinking he should be out of the league for those unacceptable performances? Or because he didn't turn the ball over, those abysmal passing days were ok with you?

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:18 PM, Dr. K said:

. . . . no matter how long he plays in the league or what he does or does not accomplish. If he dies seventy years from now, the first line of his obituary will be , "Nathan Peterman, who threw five interceptions in his first half of football, died today at the age of ninety-three." He might as well make "Fivepicks" his middle name and get it tattooed on his forehead.

No particular reason to think that's true. Yeah, right now it's the headline, but he doesn't need a Super Bowl win, just a couple of years as a starter somewhere, one of which is pretty good. Having one awful performance ... as a rookie ... isn't a career definer. It certainly is a rookie year definer, and is reasonably the first thing people think about right now when they think of the one most memorable thing about him. But if he hangs around for a while and does some things, those will supercede this.

38 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Ben Roethlisberger threw 5 INTs in a game last year, too. Two of them were run back for TDs. 

Should he have been sent packing to never play again?

If you go back and look, I posted a list containing  many examples of QBs who had 5+ INTs in a game. It happens. It happens to Super Bowl MVPs and it happens to 5th round rookies in their 1st ever start. Get over it. 

Tyrod Taylor had multiple games last year with less than 100 yards passing going into the 4th Q. Were you thinking he should be out of the league for those unacceptable performances? Or because he didn't turn the ball over, those abysmal passing days were ok with you?

Yup.