Rich Stadium construction 1972

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Someplace there's a box where I had saved every photograph of the construction progress as they were printed in the Buffalo Evening News.  Hard to believe they built the place for $20milion.  You couldn't build the ticket booths for that today.

I just was reading about Pilot Field on the News website.  That cost $56M according to the article.  Ground was broke in '86.  So, $36M more 14 years later??

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Someplace there's a box where I had saved every photograph of the construction progress as they were printed in the Buffalo Evening News.  Hard to believe they built the place for $20milion.  You couldn't build the ticket booths for that today.

My Dad and I went a couple time to the site while they were building it.

He would just keep saying how much it cost and whistle.

Even when we went to our first game he commented how great the stadium was and "it should be for that kind of money"!

LOL

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

My Dad and I went a couple time to the site while they were building it.

He would just keep saying how much it cost and whistle.

Even when we went to our first game he commented how great the stadium was and "it should be for that kind of money"!

LOL

Now a single defensive lineman will cost that much every year. Go figure! 

I remember going when it was done, before the season. I think we were picking seats? 

Oh, and screw Herb Mulkey! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Ticket Booths....remember them outside of the stadium in the mid 70’s to 80’s?

Walk right up on game day and buy yourself a ticket.

18 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....still no news on Dunkirk Don's dome....very frustrating.............

The toupee has been ordered, but they're not sure if they got the colour the correct shade.  It might have to be redyed.  Then again, DD is so clueless he might be one of those guys who doesn't notice, but everyone else does.

18 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

Where do the Buffalo Football Bills play in the meantime?

Road Trip, 24/7/365 that year!  ? Hamilton Tiger Cats had to do it a few years back when Ivor Wynne Stadium became Tim Hortons Field.  Yes, yes, I know, CFL.  "Hey!  We lost fourth down, but the field got 10 yards longer!"

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

About $121,000,000 in today's dollars, adjusting for inflation.

Good luck building a new NFL stadium for that price now! 

Rich Stadium was a very basic structure back in the day.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, klos63 said:

And color TV's in the suites!!!!!!

Well, there ya go. BIG TIME!

I attended 1st ever game (loss to Redskins preseason) and 1st Reg. Game, a 9-7 Win over Jets. 

It that Stadium is a decrepit relic now, what does that make me??

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The old Sullivan Stadium was built in Foxboro at the same time for $6 million. It was 90% aluminum bench seating, basically a high school stadium on steroids.

24 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The old Sullivan Stadium was built in Foxboro at the same time for $6 million. It was 90% aluminum bench seating, basically a high school stadium on steroids.

Sullivan Stadium sure looked like a dump back in the 1980's.  Even old Cleveland Municipal looked classy in comparison.  Sad how the Astro dome went from decent in the mid-1980's to what it looked like by the time the Oiler's left Houston.  I guess time waits for no one.

12 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

I wonder why they dug down so far rather than building up.  Cost?

I wish more stadiums did this.  Going up to the upper deck from the ground in a stadium where the field is at ground level is endless.  And coming back down after a game with 40,000 others is even worse.

Coming in at mid-level where you walk down to the lower bowl and up to the upper decks is something we take for granted I think.

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Great video, thanks.

I wonder why they dug down so far rather than building up.  Cost?

Yes, cost, it’s way less expensive to dig a hole   In the dirt and simply pour concrete on it to form the lower seating risers than to build a structure. That’s assuming the soil conditions will allow it. (The new LA Stadium is doing the same thing but in that case it’s also to lower the overall height of the stadium in proximity to the approach path into LAX airport.)

13 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The bills are building a new weight room for $18 million. Really puts that in perspective.

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yes, cost, it’s way less expensive to dig a hole   In the dirt and simply pour concrete on it to form the lower seating risers than to build a structure. That’s assuming the soil conditions will allow it. (The new LA Stadium is doing the same thing but in that case it’s also to lower the overall height of the stadium in proximity to the approach path into LAX airport.)

I have to think the fan experience was also put in the decision. Who wants to climb a mountain to get to the upper deck? Its already quite the climb if you've spent the whole morning eating junk food.

1 minute ago, wagon127 said:

The bills are building a new weight room for $18 million. Really puts that in perspective.

Yeah but i hear it’ll have color TVs and an awesome salad bar....so that might be responsible for the a good portion of the cost increase. ?

7 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

I have to think the fan experience was also put in the decision. Who wants to climb a mountain to get to the upper deck? Its already quite the climb if you've spent the whole morning eating junk food.

Actually no, it was indeed the airport. The new stadiums roof had to fit under the FAA height guidelines. If you search for the site on google earth you’ll see it’s literally at the approach end of the LAX runways. 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, klos63 said:

And color TV's in the suites!!!!!!

19" RCA up on a shelf, with a custom remote:  "Hey waiter, see what's on Channel 4."  (Until 1998, my son was our tv's remote control.  We got a new set that year, and he ended his 'indentured servitude'.)

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

I wish more stadiums did this.  Going up to the upper deck from the ground in a stadium where the field is at ground level is endless.  And coming back down after a game with 40,000 others is even worse.

Coming in at mid-level where you walk down to the lower bowl and up to the upper decks is something we take for granted I think.

And the sight lines are amazing because the stadium is less vertical than other stadiums. Lower bowl concept where you can walk down to is fantastic. 

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

everything is so much more colorful now... It kind of makes you respect the artists who were able to paint in dazzling colors when the world looked so drab.

You are aware that the real world was actually in full color even when TV was limited to black and white.....right?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

And the sight lines are amazing because the stadium is less vertical than other stadiums. Lower bowl concept where you can walk down to is fantastic. 

I get what you are saying, however

It is a matter of perspective. Do you like to be close and high. Or close and low.

I always liked the RCA Dome in Indy and MetroDome in Minneapolis because the seats were much closer to the field on the upper deck as they had to make a small footprint to engineer a safe roof and/or cost considerations. First few rows of upper deck are awesome seats. Close and can see all of field well. And they ea only had 56 and 63 k ?? seats.

(At Indy I could literally see Jeff Georges face clearly from the 2nd row upper deck when the play was in front of us and on the near hash marks. Cool.)

Open air stadiums have a much more laid back horizontal seating configuration.

Silverdome in Detroit was more like an open air laid back stadium with a roof on it and upper deck was far away due to 80k seats.

46 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You are aware that the real world was actually in full color even when TV was limited to black and white.....right?

Thefunpolice poster is sooo old. 

How old is he?

When he was a child the world was, Black and White.

Edited by cba fan

15 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Well, maybe in the '70s but definitely not during things like Babe Ruth playing baseball and WWII