Bills' 2018 Training Camp Practice Day 11 - 8:45 AM

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I don't think we will see Allen in a regular season game until November earliest....and that is totally fine with me.

If that happens that could only mean two things 

1- after 8-9 games were are in a battle for a top 5 draft pick 

2 - 

13 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...from D&C's Maiorana:

Elaborating on that, McDermott referenced his previous NFL coaching stops in Philadelphia and Carolina and what those two teams did with highly-regarded first-round rookie quarterbacks, Donovan McNabb with the Eagles and Cam Newton with the Panthers.

There were two approaches – McNabb did not start immediately, while Newton was thrown in the fire from day one. It sounds like Allen will follow the path set forth by McNabb when the former Syracuse star saw mop-up duty in six games during his 1999 rookie season, then made his first start in the Eagles’ 10th game and proceeded to start the final six games.

“Being around Donovan’s situation in particular, we had a plan and he didn’t play for some time,” McDermott said. “We’re not rushing this, we want to make sure (Allen’s) ready to go. There will still be growing pains with that journey. You can see the arm talent, you can see the special type of player he could become, but there’s a lot of room for growth between where we are now and where he needs to get to, so we’re just going to continue with the plan, with the schedule, just like our entire team, learn and go.”

The plan is becoming more clear every time MCD speaks about it.

If you had to take a guess at who MCD respects the most as an offensive/QB developing coach, it is probably Andy Reid. JA is going to get the Mahomes treatment in all likelihood.

29 minutes ago, BritBill said:

"See Edward Christian's other Tweets".

I'll give them a miss. Cheers. 

He's some IT guy.  His take on the Bills is bizarre -- I mean, using the phrase "clean house now" in a tweet today about the Bills?  He's a year and a half late, and they already did.  He's also just rehashing "advanced stats" predictors of Allen's failure, as we've seen from others.

The dude is wearing a Burger King crown.  'nuff said.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Buffalo Bills training camp recap, day 11: Corey Coleman’s first day

This morning, the Buffalo Bills held their final practice session before Thursday’s preseason opener at the Carolina Panthers. It was a rain-soaked affair that went as one would expect a final practice before a game to go—it was a light, pad-free day in Rochester.

Here are the headlines from this morning’s practice.

McDermott evasive in pre-practice presser
Brutal weather
Corey Coleman arrives
Defense continues to look sharp
11-on-11 work mostly walkthrough
Injury updates
They practiced substitutions...for five minutes

This year's record could be anywhere from 5-9 wins I think but make no mistake the rebuild is well underway. Not every move is going to work out but consider the addition of talent and potential:

D-Line: Star L., Trent Murphy, Phillips 

Linebacker: Edmunds and hopefully a developing Milano

Secondary: Adds were last year, probably strongest position group, added V. Davis and hopefully some depth guys

QB: Allen and McCarron

RB: Long term needs to be addressed

OL: Also needs to be addressed, 1 year stop gaps Bodine and Newhouse

WR: Still big question mark but they now have 2 former 1st rounders (Benjamin and Coleman) and a 2nd (Zay) maybe 1 or 2 pan out 

With the exception of Vontae, all players added are rookies, young or on verge of their prime years, next year a ton of cap space for free agents (1-2 OL and a WR?) and all their draft picks. 

And Beane is aggressive, guess he has to keep pace with Botterill now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

McDermott yet to name starting QB for first preseason game

Both A.J. McCarron and Nathan Peterman are listed as co-starters at quarterback on the Bills’ first unofficial depth chart, released by the team earlier this week, but head coach Sean McDermott declined to say publicly which QB would be starting the team’s first preseason game Thursday night against the Carolina Panthers.

“We’ve got a plan.  We’ll talk about that as we move forward here,” McDermott said.  “I believe in sharing (it) with the players first.  So that’s what we’ll do.  We’ll share it, we’ll talk about it.  We’ve got a plan, like I said, we’ll continue to talk about it as we get into our game and we’ll go from there.”

14 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

This year's record could be anywhere from 5-9 wins I think but make no mistake the rebuild is well underway. Not every move is going to work out but consider the addition of talent and potential:

Secondary: Adds were last year, probably strongest position group, added V. Davis and hopefully some depth guys

WR: Still big question mark but they now have 2 former 1st rounders (Benjamin and Coleman) and a 2nd (Zay) maybe 1 or 2 pan out 

With the exception of Vontae, all players added are rookies, young or on verge of their prime years, next year a ton of cap space for free agents (1-2 OL and a WR?) and all their draft picks. 

2019 FA comes down to the progress of Josh Allen.  If he appears to be a franchise Qb Buffalo can add a bunch of weapons.  I could see pushes for Bell or OBJ if neither get deals this summer.  But all this comes down to where Allen is developmentally.  

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

McDermott yet to name starting QB for first preseason game

Both A.J. McCarron and Nathan Peterman are listed as co-starters at quarterback on the Bills’ first unofficial depth chart, released by the team earlier this week, but head coach Sean McDermott declined to say publicly which QB would be starting the team’s first preseason game Thursday night against the Carolina Panthers.

“We’ve got a plan.  We’ll talk about that as we move forward here,” McDermott said.  “I believe in sharing (it) with the players first.  So that’s what we’ll do.  We’ll share it, we’ll talk about it.  We’ve got a plan, like I said, we’ll continue to talk about it as we get into our game and we’ll go from there.”

I wonder if they have a plan.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Am I the only one who thinks it is not surprising how the offense struggles at times against this defense? Could it possibly be because our defense is actually, dare I say, good?

It is both. The defense is good and the offense is bad. It isn’t surprising at all to me.

26 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

We don’t know if will have ALL of our next year draft picks ( just yet )  I believe McBean is not done yet and will still try to upgrade our roaster,  with that said I wouldn’t expect us using our 1st or even 2nd round picks unless of course it’s a big time ( blockbuster) type of deal , 

9 minutes ago, Magox said:

I wonder if they have a plan.

It comes down to Thursday like Beane said last week.  Allen gets most likely the entire second half.  Does he look like Lamar Jackson in the HOF game or light it up like Deshaun Watson last year.  If Allen moves the ball and scores points and doesnt make many mistakes he will be put into the mix to start.  They are simply hedging their bets long term on Allen.  They don't want to put too much external pressure on him to start now.  So if he looks a little shaky than they can bring him along slowly.  Everyone in the organization and every fan wants Allen to look good and look like the guy.  That happens next week look for Allen to get a day with the starters and see if he can win the job from there on.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Quick Hits: McCarron and Peterman could share first team reps on Thursday night

1 - McCarron and Peterman could share first team reps on Thursday night

2 - McDermott on Allen’s development

3 - Coleman’s first practice with Buffalo

I think it’s a good idea ? to let Peterman and A.J. M play a quarter a piece with the 1st unit

and let Allen play the whole second half 

Buffalo Bills training camp day 11: Rain slows things down (5 observations)

Pittsford, N.Y. -- The skies looked gloomy before the final practice at St. John Fisher before the Buffalo Bills' preseason opener Thursday against the Carolina Panthers.

And before too long, a torrential downpour blasted the field and forced the team to turn down to half-speed the rest of the way. The Bills used the practice to run through assignments and prep for the Panthers.

Here are five observations from the day.

A.J. McCarron back with first team
Still no starting quarterback
Corey Coleman with the third team on first day
Harrison Phillips watch
Josh Allen firmly entrenched on third team

30 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

It comes down to Thursday like Beane said last week.  Allen gets most likely the entire second half.  Does he look like Lamar Jackson in the HOF game or light it up like Deshaun Watson last year.  If Allen moves the ball and scores points and doesnt make many mistakes he will be put into the mix to start.  They are simply hedging their bets long term on Allen.  They don't want to put too much external pressure on him to start now.  So if he looks a little shaky than they can bring him along slowly.  Everyone in the organization and every fan wants Allen to look good and look like the guy.  That happens next week look for Allen to get a day with the starters and see if he can win the job from there on.

Yeah, but do they have a plan?

3 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Not really.

What surprises me is that with all the ups and downs of Peterman and McCarron, is that Allen is remaining with the 3rd team.

I know that have a plan and are sticking with it, but I really don't see much more benefit after preseason game #1.

So you've already decided that Allen was the best QB in preseason game 1?   

I think it's funny how everyone blames past regimes for not properly developing our previous QBs, but now so many people have decided that mid way through training camp, Allen has had enough development time and is ready to start.   There's a ton more to being an NFL QB than just throwing the ball.   In fact, I think you could argue that throwing the ball is pretty far down the list of things an NFL QB needs to do well. And I would suggest that AJ is most likely miles ahead of Allen when it comes to all those other QB duties.   How much do people really think you're going to asess Allen's ability to read a defense and handle the pressure and speed of the game in the 2nd half of preseason game 1?  (Assuming that's when he plays)

I would just hope everyone is able to calm down, trust that this coaching staff and GM actualy know what they're doing and are taking a more methodical and fact-based approach to developing Allen.  One good pass or series late in a preseason game does not make or break anyone.

Edited by Dan
  • Like (+1) 1

Brian Daboll: "Have trust amongst all 11 guys" (9:46)

Bills OC Brian Daboll joined One Bills Live to discuss the progression of the offense through training camp, QB competition, new WR Corey Coleman and the preseason opener.

Corey Coleman: "I'm gonna come in and compete and be the best version of Corey Coleman"(12:23)

New Bills WR Corey Coleman joined One Bills Live to discuss his fresh start with the team, his time in Cleveland and being mentored by former NFL player Ray Crockett.

4 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Dont be this guy, gents.

People like this are impossible to talk to.

Its a but of a double edge sword in a sense bc years of futility made him this way, but at a certian point if you are that bitter...it cant be fun.

It does seem to have actly gotten better since the 90s (or maybe just not being a kid anymore) but it seems there was even more of this nonsense back then...

To me it looks like they have no plans to start him Thursday in the first preseason game so why split the first team reps. If he tears up the second half of the game and neither Peterman nor AJ seem to be in control in the first half then I think he gets more reps with the 1's next week. I think the process says Josh unless you are perfect you will ride the pine to start the season. No change from when they first drafted him. Give him time come into some games to feel the heat. I think they are doubly skittish after the Peterman principle in the San Diego game last year.

15 minutes ago, Art in RTP said:

To me it looks like they have no plans to start him Thursday in the first preseason game so why split the first team reps. If he tears up the second half of the game and neither Peterman nor AJ seem to be in control in the first half then I think he gets more reps with the 1's next week. I think the process says Josh unless you are perfect you will ride the pine to start the season. No change from when they first drafted him. Give him time come into some games to feel the heat. I think they are doubly skittish after the Peterman principle in the San Diego game last year.

He doesn't have to be perfect.   He has to be as good or better than the others in the time he's on the field.  If he is, he'll get more time.   If he isn't, he has to wait.  Same as any other player at any other position. 

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean isn’t this to be expect by average to below nfl qbs?  Neither AJ or Peterman are mostly likely nfl starting QBs.  They have average to below average abilities.  It’s like when someone is a like a 5 or 6 but they can wear makeup to look like a 7 or 8.  But when you remove the makeup, they are still a 5 or 6.  AJ and Nate are 5 and 6.  Allen looks like a 10 but might be crazy, stupid, and/ or have some disease. 

nothing better than Psycho Pus*sie...just don't tell them where you live

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Is it just me or has Peterman taken the competition back from McCarron?

i was gonna say something about a sal c. comment posted above about aj. being the steadiest and nate not so much. it seems to me a.j. is the most consistent in sacks, indecisiveness and errant throws. seems all the other guys post different opinions....

Peterman starting is interesting on some level and opens the door to the inevitable (IMO) complete meltdown that gets Allen on the field.

McCarron starting does absolutely nothing for me. Total dial tone. Pointless in every way. Worst of all he might play the nothing ball offense that we've seen for years now.

I think McCarron puts up some Tyrod-esque 140 yard passing games where the offense does absolutely nothing but he doesn't turn it over so everyone blames the OL.

In all fairness, it's probably better for those of us who want to see Allen play that he is firmly entrenched with the 3's.

1) Whoever the starter is barely plays a quarter in game #1 anyway

2) He has chemistry with the other 3's

3) He might get the entire 2nd half, thus more chances to prove himself.

4) He gets to play against 3's so he should look decent out there.

7 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

The plan is becoming more clear every time MCD speaks about it.

If you had to take a guess at who MCD respects the most as an offensive/QB developing coach, it is probably Andy Reid. JA is going to get the Mahomes treatment in all likelihood.

Tough comparison though.... Alex Smith was playing the best ball of his career!