Joe B: Adolphus Washington has played poorly in TC and may be cut

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think he makes it because the depth behind him isn't that good.

Star, Kyle, Harrison obviously are locks but after that, who really has a chance of unseating Washington?

Joe B mentioned that Ricky Hatley was outplaying him 

4 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

No! He’s off the market just like Shaq! He’s safe! TBD said so.

Washington and Shaq are totally different stories.  First Shaq is a much better player.  But, the bigger part of the store in the cap deal.  Washington gets cut the team gains $500,000 in space, while Shaq getting cut would create over 3 mil in cap loss.  

So is pays to cut Washington while it costs to cut Shaq.   

20 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Is this the appropriate time to bump an old thread so we can tar and feather the Whaley defenders?

Wait Whaley who had a top 5 defense under him or Whaley who had a top 10 scoring offense?  OMG, a player drafted might not work out!  How about trading up for Zay Jones?  How is that looking?

all GMs are going to miss.  It’s also funny that one of the things people bashed Whaley for, trading up, has continued with the new regime.  

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think he makes it because the depth behind him isn't that good.

Star, Kyle, Harrison obviously are locks but after that, who really has a chance of unseating Washington?

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Joe B mentioned that Ricky Hatley was outplaying him 

At the end of the day (or camp as it were) only a few peoples opinions matter on who outplayed who, and Joe B. ain't one of them. Stay tuned.

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s also funny that one of the things people bashed Whaley for, trading up, has continued with the new regime.  

I agree with your general premise - ALL GMs have hits and misses.  However,  the trade ups that this regime has been doing 1) make sense in team building and hole filling and 2) don't sell the farm FOR A WIDE receiver in a DEEP wide receiver class!

If one can't see the difference,  then they are just stuck in their own confirmation bias or being a troll.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Wait Whaley who had a top 5 defense under him or Whaley who had a top 10 scoring offense?  OMG, a player drafted might not work out!  How about trading up for Zay Jones?  How is that looking?

all GMs are going to miss.  It’s also funny that one of the things people bashed Whaley for, trading up, has continued with the new regime.  

Difference is the Bills gave them selves the ammo to move around in the draft under McDermott and then under Beane. Whaley had no issue potentially giving up futures.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

I believe I also heard yesterday that Adolphus had turned the corner and was praised by McDermott/Bean so probably looking to trade him.

On Sirius they wanted to keep bringing up Harrison Phillips and kyle Williams was like praising Washington. They continued to say how if it’s coming from Williams he must have turned the corner bc he isn’t just going to praise players who sent putting in the work. And how he is bought into the scheme and coaching 

something like that 

47 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Fake news click bait thread title alert!!!!?

One mook says he's "at risk...of potentially getting cut" and that transforms into likely to be cut?

Semantics... it transforms into Joe B thinks he sucks ?. But sure I’ll change the title so no one else feels baited into clicking ?

I read this article yesterday and it didn't say he was "likely" to be cut.  It said, he was in danger of being cut if he didn't turn the corner. 

"Based on what we saw last year from Washington and what we've seen so far in training camp, I would not at all be surprised if Washington ends up on the wrong side of the roster bubble when final cuts come down at the end of the preseason. He needs to turn it around and quickly before it's too late."

If I remember it correctly, I think Joe B. had the same exact narrative about Adolphus last year and the guy ended up playing the second most snaps on the defensive line.  

2 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

I agree with your general premise - ALL GMs have hits and misses.  However,  the trade ups that this regime has been doing 1) make sense in team building and hole filling and 2) don't sell the farm FOR A WIDE receiver in a DEEP wide receiver class!

If one can't see the difference,  then they are just stuck in their own confirmation bias or being a troll.

1). I agree you shouldn’t trade up for a receiver in the first.  But Sammy was the clear 1 and thought to have Julio ability.  Also, he is getting paid $16 million dollars by one of the best offensive coaches in the nfl.  Do you think Zay will ever command that much?

2) we traded up to get Zay because we hired his wr coach and JuJu was still on the board.  

3). We gave up a good amount to get Allen.  If any of the qbs end up being better than him, it looks like a bad move.  

I try to be consistent.  I think trading up was the worse part of Whaley as a GM.  So I don’t like the trade ups with the new regime.  If Allen become a stud, who cares.  But I do think a general rule of thumb for GMs is don’t trade up unless it’s for a qb.  And if you do that, you better get the right one.  You want as many chances at the lottery as possible.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, mikemac2001 said:

On Sirius they wanted to keep bringing up Harrison Phillips and kyle Williams was like praising Washington. They continued to say how if it’s coming from Williams he must have turned the corner bc he isn’t just going to praise players who sent putting in the work. And how he is bought into the scheme and coaching 

something like that 

Was going to say the same thing - Kyle went out of his way to praise Washington, said that he's having a great camp, working hard and looking good, that he's still a young player, etc.

I'll go with KW's opinion over Joe B's all day, erryday... ?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I read this article yesterday and it didn't say he was "likely" to be cut.  It said, he was in danger of being cut if he didn't turn the corner. 

"Based on what we saw last year from Washington and what we've seen so far in training camp, I would not at all be surprised if Washington ends up on the wrong side of the roster bubble when final cuts come down at the end of the preseason. He needs to turn it around and quickly before it's too late."

If I remember it correctly, I think Joe B. had the same exact narrative about Adolphus last year and the guy ended up playing the second most snaps on the defensive line.  

He played a lot out of necessity but he wasn’t very good and had some terrible penalties. I think it’s a deserved narrative. Hopefully though, he turns a corner. 

Weird how different people have such different takes on the same player.  Joe B has also said:

To this point in training camp, Washington has been mainly invisible and has only one win during 1-on-1 drills out of a total of 10 tries. His only win by my count came against rookie Wyatt Teller, and the remainder of the time right guard John Miller has dominated him on most reps. If you combine his lack of a presence early on with the fact that the Bills have already started giving Harrison Phillips work at Washington's three-technique position, it all is not adding up well for the past Doug Whaley selection. 

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-7-observations-from-2018-buffalo-bills-training-camp-day-5

Washington was always a terrible draft pick with no upside. He's a poor athlete for his position, has below average movement skills and strength and ultimately hasn't proven to be a good NFL player. I don't see him making the team. 

2 hours ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Maybe they'll cut him to make room for Khalil Mack, when they give away the store for him <sarcasm>.

If Beane can't orchestrate a straight up Mack for Washington trade we should cut our losses and bring back Buddy Nix!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Washington was always a terrible draft pick with no upside. He's a poor athlete for his position, has below average movement skills and strength and ultimately hasn't proven to be a good NFL player. I don't see him making the team. 

Kyle Williams would disagree, but what would he know... ?

49 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1). I agree you shouldn’t trade up for a receiver in the first.  But Sammy was the clear 1 and thought to have Julio ability.  Also, he is getting paid $16 million dollars by one of the best offensive coaches in the nfl.  Do you think Zay will ever command that much?

2) we traded up to get Zay because we hired his wr coach and JuJu was still on the board.  

3). We gave up a good amount to get Allen.  If any of the qbs end up being better than him, it looks like a bad move.  

I try to be consistent.  I think trading up was the worse part of Whaley as a GM.  So I don’t like the trade ups with the new regime.  If Allen become a stud, who cares.  But I do think a general rule of thumb for GMs is don’t trade up unless it’s for a qb.  And if you do that, you better get the right one.  You want as many chances at the lottery as possible.

We get it.  You hate Zay Jones and you (still) love Watkins.  Enough already.

Here: https://www.nflshop.com/Mens_Kansas_City_Chiefs_Sammy_Watkins_Nike_Red_Game_Jersey/t-25715803+o-5738+d-901500124+f-0589330+z-9-2835684027?_s=ak1944nfl-pla&amp;sku=10673509

54 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He played a lot out of necessity but he wasn’t very good and had some terrible penalties. I think it’s a deserved narrative. Hopefully though, he turns a corner. 

I agree with you here.   By the end of the year Hatley was getting snaps as well.   I do hope he turns the corner and makes the team.   Third round draft picks shouldnt be so easily disposable.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Whaley bashing in jest is ok though isn’t it? 

Reality is the guy has an eye for talent, but building a team?  Not quite so sure. Sammy is a fine example.  All the talent in the world- but so far he’s been found expendable by two teams... what’s the prediction he plays out his whole deal in kc? 

The new guys seem to prioritize team and scheme over talent. Time will tell how well it works. 

The real issue with Adolphis is; Kyle, Star and the rook are locks.