NFL disperses record shared revenue

Mr. WEO

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But, but, but, but..... something about viewing figures..... kneeling.... world falling? We're all doomed.  

where does the majority of revenue come from?

TV contracts and sponsorship deals that are intact for a few more years?

think about it....

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

think about it....

We have been over the tv stuff so many times.  TV viewership is declining overall.  While the gap between the NFL and the next best viewed products remains as large as it is then it is the place that advertisers will go and if it is the place that the advertisers go then it remains the sacred cow for the networks.  Witness the Fox deal for TNF which was up a third on the previous NBC and CBS deal and that is TNF... the product everyone seems to think is so terrible.  

Edited by GunnerBill

13 minutes ago, row_33 said:

think about it....

The Networks will not leave the NFL....FOX just paid a record amount for TNF...DirecTV pays a lot as well. Wait until Amazon jumps in

Edited by nucci

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But, but, but, but..... something about viewing figures..... kneeling.... world falling? We're all doomed.  

nonsense, wait till the NFL has to face the music in 2022, there's gonna be a huge crisis if they don't turn around their popularity fast.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

See you in 2022.  I'm pretty sure you will be wrong.  

Maybe but TV providers are losing money at a huge rate, eventually that will trickle down to TV networks that'll be looking to cut costs, the NFL has a business model that needs to grow indefinitely to meet rising costs, something will have to give. Only 3 in 10 have favorable views of the NFL today and the majority of those say their unfavorable opinion is because of players disrespecting our flag and anthem, to me it can all only spell trouble unless they can get their employees under control and clean up their image with a majority of Americans.

1 minute ago, greeneblitz said:

Maybe but TV providers are losing money at a huge rate, eventually that will trickle down to TV networks that'll be looking to cut costs, the NFL has a business model that needs to grow indefinitely to meet rising costs, something will have to give. Only 3 in 10 have favorable views of the NFL today and the majority of those say their unfavorable opinion is because of players disrespecting our flag and anthem, to me it can all only spell trouble unless they can get their employees under control and clean up their image with a majority of Americans.

https://deadspin.com/for-the-last-time-nfl-ratings-are-not-down-theyre-up-1827378925

The NFL will be the very last place the Networks go to cut costs.  Advertisers will still want to advertise in the most viewed programmes - that means the NFL.  

5 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

Image result for made up polls

Edited by ProcessAccepted
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

https://deadspin.com/for-the-last-time-nfl-ratings-are-not-down-theyre-up-1827378925

The NFL will be the very last place the Networks go to cut costs.  Advertisers will still want to advertise in the most viewed programmes - that means the NFL.  

Many still struggle to understand this. 

Networks will always pay top dollar for the best product on TV.  The NFL is a guaranteed bringer of top ad money for the networks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Networks will always pay top dollar for the best product on TV.  The NFL is a guaranteed bringer of top ad money for the networks.

I don't understand why it is a pretty simple concept.  All the people outraged about the kneeling doesn't matter if compared to other TV products the NFL is holding its own, and even further outperforming them.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't understand why it is a pretty simple concept.  All the people outraged about the kneeling doesn't matter if compared to other TV products the NFL is holding its own, and even further outperforming them.  

Apparently it's a really difficult concept for some. And when there is no other Broadcast Television or Cable Network preforming as well as the NFL, advertisers aren't going to "go elsewhere." There is no where else to go.

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have yet to see any data suggesting the kneeling turned off a single viewer.

It definitely annoyed some football fans, and they definitely wished it would impact the bottom line, but there is no evidence to suggest that it did.

As long as NFL ratings are super strong, people will pay $$$ to advertise during games.

31 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

people love football... it's that simple

It's true.  Baseball used to reign supreme in this country for many decades, but that era has now passed.

We see random, bad, Thursday night NFL games get better viewing numbers than World Series games!

• Like (+1) 2

I’m not really sure why people hate owners of billion dollar purchases make money.  The more they make, the more most spend.

in my business sector, owners, or CEO’s don’t spend even nearly the amt of money that we spend on players and in my industry people make or have the potential to make multiple six figures.we’re well skilled and are paid well.  To think an owner owes us more is questionable.

think about the 1.4 billion pegula spent on the bills to keep it in Buffalo, and his yearly return.  Yes, when he he someday sells the company he’ll make money, but until then if you knows business he doesn’t even come close to the return on investment other owners of other businesses receive for their investment.

im happy the players make the millions in many cases they make, and the guaranteed money keeps going up for people are one hit away from a dead cap hit.  I understand people come from different backgrounds, but yes these owners will always win when they sell,and they most likely have tremendous write offs with these acquisitions, but they still place a tremendous investment for the pride of being an NFL owner.

think what you want, but we are damn lucky to have the pegulas.  He. Could have drilled another hole to use his words.

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

think about it....

Yeah, inertia is a great thing on the way up.  Average cost adjusted for inflation for the Super Bowl ads actually went down

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Even moreso for live sporting events because the people watching live actual may see some commercials - just see the Super Bowl for that fact and the number of sites dedicated to SuperBowl commercials.

The top TV shows that are not sports are more and more often being “TIVO’D” and people can skip the commercials, but it happens less with a live event.  I will delay the start of a Bills game so I can skip commercials, but eventually I catch up and have some.  

Even cord ore cutters many times get antennas to watch local games live and therefore add to the revenue potential that other shows can not draw.

6 hours ago, greeneblitz said:

nonsense, wait till the NFL has to face the music in 2022, there's gonna be a huge crisis if they don't turn around their popularity fast.

The people mad about it today won’t be around in 2022. They’ll take their chances...

The people who were 'mad' about the kneeling will have forgotten all about it in the future. Just like they have in the past with other issues. Only reason it got so much attention was the media exploiting it for their own agenda. As it is now people still say those that were kneeling were disrespecting the flag, which obviously wasn't the case. I didn't see anyone stick their middle finger at the flag or burn it. Nobody said screw the flag or down with America. This is a nation where 70% of Americans thought Saddam Hussein was behind 9/11. Propaganda is a powerful tool & most people don't realize it when they consume it.

Anyways the NFL will be fine. What else is there to supplant it?

17 minutes ago, Tcali said:

TV is going the way of the dodo bird.NFL will still make billions for another 5 -10 yrs...But it will steeply decline after that.

....what else would advertisers pour billions into on Sundays?........"I Love Lucy" reruns?......"Mr. Rogers"?......hell they could sponsor Joel Osteen right?......Sundays and the NFL are a married institution for life......

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I think you meant "disburses."

It was that, too.

But in the end, 8.1 billion dollars were spread over a very wide area.

51 minutes ago, Tcali said:

TV is going the way of the dodo bird.NFL will still make billions for another 5 -10 yrs...But it will steeply decline after that.

Yeah, because when there's no TV' people will just read books.

14 hours ago, greeneblitz said:

It's still the best sports product we have.  Now that sports betting will become legal in many states (along with fantasy football), makes it unlikely you're going to see the NFL suffer financially.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Tcali said:

Thank god there's that internet thing.

Wait til Bezos gets bored and decides to buy MNF.  

Even if the NFL goes 100% onto a streaming service almost everyone has a smart tv in the house today. 

The NFL isnt going anywhere. 

The NFL is the perfect league for various reasons:

1. Its in the fall/winter. TV’s highest rated shows premiere in the fall for a reason. 

2. Very little, if any, competition from any other sports. 

3. Fantasy football is huge. Now sports gambling is becoming legal in many states. Football is one of the best leagues to bet money in. (In my opinion)

4.  Most of the games are played on a Sunday. People are usually home on Sundays, during the Fall, with nothing else to watch other than reruns of god knows what. 

Saying the NFL is doomed to fail is like saying england’s EPL or spain’s La Liga are doomed to fail. Its crazy talk.  These leagues are part of the culture of these societies. You might as well say BBQ is doomed to fail one day too. Heck, maybe 300yrs from now, who knows...

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Even if the NFL goes 100% onto a streaming service almost everyone has a smart tv in the house today. 

The NFL isnt going anywhere. 

The NFL is the perfect league for various reasons:

1. Its in the fall/winter. TV’s highest rated shows premiere in the fall for a reason. 

2. Very little, if any, competition from any other sports. 

3. Fantasy football is huge. Now sports gambling is becoming legal in many states. Football is one of the best leagues to bet money in. (In my opinion)

4.  Most of the games are played on a Sunday. People are usually home on Sundays, during the Fall, with nothing else to watch other than reruns of god knows what. 

Saying the NFL is doomed to fail is like saying england’s EPL or spain’s La Liga are doomed to fail. Its crazy talk.  These leagues are part of the culture of these societies. You might as well say BBQ is doomed to fail one day too. Heck, maybe 300yrs from now, who knows...

Sports ebb and flow with popularity, to think football is magically immune is shortsighted at best.  Remember when Baseball wa always going to be Amrica's Sport, what happened there?   In the 1930s the three dominant sports were Horse Racing, Boxing and Baseball?  Where is horse racing and boxing today?  Attendance last year league overall was down half a million, Super Bowls adds adjusted for inflation went down.  Not conjecture, facts.

There is an entire litany of potential problems facing the NFL.

1) CTE

2) Technology threats to TV revenue source

3) Product itself:  too many penalties, too many arbitrary calls and questionable officiating, what exactly is a catch, etc etc etc.  It is a QB driven league, you dont have a top tier QB odds of success are incredibly diminish.  I cut back watching for all these reasons.

4) The entire kneeling anthem thing, it has alienated some to think otherwise is either political agenda drive or just downright  foolish.

5) Over saturation driven by greed.  Thursday nights games are terrible, some Sundays you can watch NFL from about 9am til 10 pm.

6) Attended football games is getting excessively expensive and fan behavior is an issue.

Oh yeah there are some real isues here.

19 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I’ll take a knee with this argument.  

Ratings are down because people are cutting the cable. 

The NFL is still the most watched sport event in the business 

and people will stream games on Amazon soon

37 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Sports ebb and flow with popularity, to think football is magically immune is shortsighted at best.  Remember when Baseball wa always going to be Amrica's Sport, what happened there?   In the 1930s the three dominant sports were Horse Racing, Boxing and Baseball?  Where is horse racing and boxing today?  Attendance last year league overall was down half a million, Super Bowls adds adjusted for inflation went down.  Not conjecture, facts.

There is an entire litany of potential problems facing the NFL.

1) CTE

2) Technology threats to TV revenue source

3) Product itself:  too many penalties, too many arbitrary calls and questionable officiating, what exactly is a catch, etc etc etc.  It is a QB driven league, you dont have a top tier QB odds of success are incredibly diminish.  I cut back watching for all these reasons.

4) The entire kneeling anthem thing, it has alienated some to think otherwise is either political agenda drive or just downright  foolish.

5) Over saturation driven by greed.  Thursday nights games are terrible, some Sundays you can watch NFL from about 9am til 10 pm.

6) Attended football games is getting excessively expensive and fan behavior is an issue.

Oh yeah there are some real isues here.

Yet get high ratings and FOX just paid a record amount for the rights

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It was that, too.

But in the end, 8.1 billion dollars were spread over a very wide area.

Yeah, because when there's no TV' people will just read books.

exactly

21 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....what else would advertisers pour billions into on Sundays?........"I Love Lucy" reruns?......"Mr. Rogers"?......hell they could sponsor Joel Osteen right?......Sundays and the NFL are a married institution for life......

I like the old westerns!

• Haha (+1) 1