McDermott - Game Management - Improving for 2018

I think that overall, we are pretty pleased with Sean McDermott's performance over the past year.  He's proven to be disciplined, organized, good with players, media, and team personnel.  No one can question that reaching the playoffs in 2017 was an amazing accomplishment, due in no small part to his leadership and actual competence as a head coach (which we almost forgot what that looked like).

But I never felt last year that he was that great at in-game management.  Yes, he had the team prepared most weeks - the game plans were well-structured, the players & coaches knew what they were doing, and it largely manifested on the field with fewer mistakes & turnovers, players were in the right spots, and the team at least looked better on a week-to-week basis, some stinker performances notwithstanding.

Having said all of these things, I don't yet see Sean McDermott as any more than an adequate game-day coach.  I see this most in the area of aggressiveness - going for it on 4th down, risky play calls & gadgets, in-game adjustments, clock management.  Too often, it felt like we were playing not to lose, instead of aggressively getting after it - dictating the flow of play, forcing the action, and making the other team prepare and respond to what we are doing, instead of the other way around.  Don't get me wrong, I like the overall direction of the team, but I want my coach to be more like a Sean Payton - Mike Tomlin - Bruce Arians.  Guys who aren't afraid to push the envelope and strategically try to play parts of the game differently.  These guys are good at forcing their coordinators to be innovative, and enabling creativity within their teams.  I'm not saying that everything they do is successful, but I like that they're on the AGGRESSIVE end of the spectrum.  

I know that our last buffoon of a head coach was aggressive, but I'm not including him in this discussion.  You also have to be intelligent and have a measure of self-control to qualify...

What I'm afraid of is that when things come to a point or when we face adversity or a rough season, that McDermott becomes more of a Ron Rivera, or a Marvin Lewis, or a Jim Caldwell.  These guys all were somewhat competent in their own way, but they were never going to out-coach the  good/great coaches, the true innovators.  Most of the time, they just rolled over, maybe because they didn't get enough "breaks" to win the game.  The point is that I want McDermott to coach in a way that we make our own breaks, that we push the envelope, that we try new things and make other teams respond to us, instead of always having to be the reacting team.

Can he take the next step?  Can he overcome his basic conservative nature?  Can he get the best of his coordinators and position coaches?

That's what I'll be watching for in 2018, regardless of the other big factors (like a new QB, overall talent, etc)

• Like (+1) 4

The Bills of last season were an incredibly talent deficient team that overachieved. You can only do so much with a team like that. I imagine this season will be similar.

Yes, McDermott can get better at game and clock management. I think he will. But getting more talent on the field will allow for more aggressive strategy, in my opinion.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 5

Good post and I agree for the most part, in particular the piece about in-game management. He can definitely improve clock management and on challenges, etc.

I do think that his style of "playing not to lose" is something that for better or worse we will not see change all that much. He may be willing to take a few more chances if Allen proves himself to have the clutch gene, but for the most part McD's style will probably always be defense first, which can have the appearance of a play not to lose approach. 

He just comes off to me as the kind of coach who is willing to evaluate every detail, even if it's something he is responsible for. Hopefully he is up to the challenge of improving his responsibilities in 2018.

Edited by Juice_32
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

The Bills of last season were an incredibly talent deficient team that overachieved. You can only do so much with a team like that. I imagine this season will be similar.

Yes, McDermott can get better at game and clock management. I think he will. But getting more talent on the field will allow for more aggressive strategy, in my opinion.

Agreed.  He was never going to be overly aggressive as a defensive minded HC with a weak passing offense and a more stable and talented defense.  People that want him to be more aggressive are going to be in for major disappointment.

I do not expect this year to be to much different unless the defense is even better and/or Daboll instills confidence with the offense and a QB that can make the plays when needed.  Once we get that - then he can afford to be more aggressive.  

Last year they were a miserable 2 of 15 on 4th downs, but people want them to go for it more?

Being aggressive is great when you have the right team built up - for the Bills last year - I think being conservative won them more games than if they had tried to be more aggressive.

That is not to say that he can not get better in many decisions, but each team and coaching style is different and you are going to see offensive minded coaches be more aggressive on offensive chances and defensive coaches be more conservative.

• Like (+1) 2

I can agree with most of what you're saying. It's not uncommon for a lot of first-time head coaches to struggle with game/clock management. As a coordinator, that wasn't part of his job. I'm sure he's picked up plenty of knowledge from the head coaches he's worked under but applying that knowledge in real time is a challenge he'll continue to work at, I'm sure. 

33 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I think that overall, we are pretty pleased with Sean McDermott's performance over the past year.  He's proven to be disciplined, organized, good with players, media, and team personnel.  No one can question that reaching the playoffs in 2017 was an amazing accomplishment, due in no small part to his leadership and actual competence as a head coach (which we almost forgot what that looked like).

But I never felt last year that he was that great at in-game management.  Yes, he had the team prepared most weeks - the game plans were well-structured, the players & coaches knew what they were doing, and it largely manifested on the field with fewer mistakes & turnovers, players were in the right spots, and the team at least looked better on a week-to-week basis, some stinker performances notwithstanding.

Having said all of these things, I don't yet see Sean McDermott as any more than an adequate game-day coach.  I see this most in the area of aggressiveness - going for it on 4th down, risky play calls & gadgets, in-game adjustments, clock management.  Too often, it felt like we were playing not to lose, instead of aggressively getting after it - dictating the flow of play, forcing the action, and making the other team prepare and respond to what we are doing, instead of the other way around.  Don't get me wrong, I like the overall direction of the team, but I want my coach to be more like a Sean Payton - Mike Tomlin - Bruce Arians.  Guys who aren't afraid to push the envelope and strategically try to play parts of the game differently.  These guys are good at forcing their coordinators to be innovative, and enabling creativity within their teams.  I'm not saying that everything they do is successful, but I like that they're on the AGGRESSIVE end of the spectrum.  

I know that our last buffoon of a head coach was aggressive, but I'm not including him in this discussion.  You also have to be intelligent and have a measure of self-control to qualify...

What I'm afraid of is that when things come to a point or when we face adversity or a rough season, that McDermott becomes more of a Ron Rivera, or a Marvin Lewis, or a Jim Caldwell.  These guys all were somewhat competent in their own way, but they were never going to out-coach the  good/great coaches, the true innovators.  Most of the time, they just rolled over, maybe because they didn't get enough "breaks" to win the game.  The point is that I want McDermott to coach in a way that we make our own breaks, that we push the envelope, that we try new things and make other teams respond to us, instead of always having to be the reacting team.

Can he take the next step?  Can he overcome his basic conservative nature?  Can he get the best of his coordinators and position coaches?

That's what I'll be watching for in 2018, regardless of the other big factors (like a new QB, overall talent, etc)

Not sure that Tomlin fits in that group - last year they attempted 8 4th down plays about half of what the Bills attempted with a significantly better offense.  Tomlin also does not strike me as a good game manager - He has by far one of the most talented and balanced teams, but seems to find many ways to lose because of how he handles the game.  He is always making poor in game decisions and has routinely been criticized for going conservative when they get a lead against teams like NE and that costing them the game.

Sean Payton and Arians are offense guys the same thing you see with McCarthy in GB and the entire staff in Philadelphia- those guys are aggressive and are offensive minded with strong offensive teams.

Ron Rivera was giving the moniker Riverboat because of how aggressive he was a few years ago when he had the correct mix of offense and defense. So I am not sure that he isn’t more along the line of the coach you are looking for McDermott to become.

Many of the more aggressive teams are lead by offensive guys and that makes a difference.  

I expect him him to get better at some things like Timeouts and challenges, but I expect little change in the defensive minded HC view on going for it versus punting because their strength is defense And defending the length of the field.

• Like (+1) 3

We won't get much from him in pressers but when it comes to personal responsibility it's pretty clear he's all about accountability.  

The only concern I have is - I think game management is a bit more of an instinct vs something you learn.  I do believe you can get better with experience though so I'm glad he's spending time on getting better..  

He was a rookie last year too don't forget.

He definitely struggled with the game management portion of things... Hell, I can't imagine a more stressful new job, that carries a steeper learning curve than an NFL head coach.

But I'm guessing he'll get better every year at this.  I'd imagine the game 'slows down' for coaches just like it does for the players over time.

• Like (+1) 1

You're not going to get aggressive game management out of McDermott.   That isn't his style or his philosophy.   

McDermott PREPARES.   His plan is to get everyone - including himself - ready for every situation and then perform in accordance with the preparation.  Prepare, prepare, prepare.   

When McDermott goes for it on fourth down, it will be because his preparation tells him that in certain circumstances it's the smart move.  He's not going to go for it because he wants to give his players a boost, or because he wants to insert the dagger.   I think that's  the right approach.   Take what the game is giving you.   If it's the second quarter and the game is giving you a field goal, take it.  Don't go for it because you think a TD will change momentum.   In the second quarter, all you're trying to do is pile up points, and if the game is giving you 3, take them.  It's not sexy, it's not what the fans want, but it wins.   

So, for example, I don't think you should expect to see the conservative game planning change, at least not until he has a powerful, dominating offense.  (Maybe if he has a dominating offense, he'll open up, but I doubt.) It was quite clear last season that McDermott wasn't going to open his offense until it was the fourth quarter and he was behind by more than a TD.   He's going to punt instead of asking his team to do something they aren't good at.  We saw it, and we saw that conservative approach work.   I don't think it will change. 

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Is this a real post?  Come on

Can you elaborate on your remark? 

I don't think it's wrong to ask if our current coach has the ability to be more aggressive with his approach to game management

22 minutes ago, White Linen said:

We won't get much from him in pressers but when it comes to personal responsibility it's pretty clear he's all about accountability.  

The only concern I have is - I think game management is a bit more of an instinct vs something you learn.  I do believe you can get better with experience though so I'm glad he's spending time on getting better..  

Getting better at other coaching aspects allows you to focus on game management. If your head is spinning with all of your responsibilities, it doesn't matter if you have instinct or not.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Epstein's Mother said:

Just as young QB's refer to how fast the pro game is versus college I tend to think that the game may appear to be moving very fast to a rookie head coach.  I think over time the game will "slow down" for McDermott and his real-time decision making will improve.

I'd be interested to get a coach's take on that element.  With the number of commercials during an NFL game, I've often wondered if there isn't actually a ton of time spent standing around on the sideline while they wait for the network to come back from a break.

20 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Can you elaborate on your remark? 

I don't think it's wrong to ask if our current coach has the ability to be more aggressive with his approach to game management

Here is my elaboration

- 1st year head coach

- We let go nearly every high priced core player for draft picks so the team was devoid of talent

DESPITE all this.....this coaching staff found a way to win enough games to make its first playoffs in 17 years

They did pretty well given the circumstances.   What they were doing worked and they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I'd be interested to get a coach's take on that element.  With the number of commercials during an NFL game, I've often wondered if there isn't actually a ton of time spent standing around on the sideline while they wait for the network to come back from a break.

You may be right on this one but there may be an element of organized chaos with more than 1 person in your ear on the headset plus action on the sideline.  I think there are plenty of instances in games where there is ample time to make the right (or wrong) decision but there are also many real time decisions that have to be made.  I'm hoping that McDermott becomes one of those great game-day coaches because we've seen too many here that always found a way to be bad on Sundays.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Here is my elaboration

- 1st year head coach

- We let go nearly every high priced core player for draft picks so the team was devoid of talent

DESPITE all this.....this coaching staff found a way to win enough games to make its first playoffs in 17 years

They did pretty well given the circumstances.   What they were doing worked and they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Couldn't disagree more.  

The circumstances of the team have little correlation to McDermott's approach to game day management.  Yes, there are factors that would lean toward a more conservative approach, which you've noted, but I don't think the team's success in 2017 had much to do with McDermott's game management, and in many cases, they had success DESPITE some very questionable and probably overly conservative in-game decisions.  

Bill Belichick has won 5 SB's.  Does he get the benefit of the doubt for benching Malcolm Butler in the last one, even though that possibly cost his team the game?  He does not.  

My point is that McDermott has a lot to improve upon in this area and it will be a big factor in whether he can build a perennial playoff contender or whether we just saw his ceiling as a coach.

I think he did show that he had it in him to be aggressive.  There were a number of times I remember seeing that, having said that there were times when he appeared to be conservative.  To be honest with you, I think he is more on the aggressive side than conservative and I think he played to his personnel.  We didn't have a good offense and there were times that we took the conservative approach simply because we weren't that competent on the offensive side of the ball and he played the numbers.

Having said that, I do think he did have some questionable game decision moments and I do believe that is something that he can improve upon.  Let's be real, it was the first time he had ever been tasked to call a game, he never did it in college or at the pro level, so I do see him improving on that front.

27 minutes ago, MJS said:

Getting better at other coaching aspects allows you to focus on game management. If your head is spinning with all of your responsibilities, it doesn't matter if you have instinct or not.

Yeah, I think that's certainly part of it.  I still think you're underestimating the instinct aspect.  I liken it to speed - you can't learn speed.  You can get faster but there's a natural talent to fast people.  I think quick thinking is a trait.   

14 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Couldn't disagree more.  

The circumstances of the team have little correlation to McDermott's approach to game day management.  Yes, there are factors that would lean toward a more conservative approach, which you've noted, but I don't think the team's success in 2017 had much to do with McDermott's game management, and in many cases, they had success DESPITE some very questionable and probably overly conservative in-game decisions.  

Bill Belichick has won 5 SB's.  Does he get the benefit of the doubt for benching Malcolm Butler in the last one, even though that possibly cost his team the game?  He does not.  

My point is that McDermott has a lot to improve upon in this area and it will be a big factor in whether he can build a perennial playoff contender or whether we just saw his ceiling as a coach.

Post lost all credibility in the first sentence.

3 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Yeah, I think that's certainly part of it.  I still think you're underestimating the instinct aspect.  I liken it to speed - you can't learn speed.  You can get faster but there's a natural talent to fast people.  I think quick thinking is a trait.   

I never said instinct isn't important. It IS important. And it is like speed. If a player has to focus on a complex scheme because they are confused by it, it doesn't matter how fast they are.

McDermott may have super awesome instincts, but if his focus is elsewhere that doesn't matter. My point is, he may have struggled for reasons other than having instincts for game management. He has a lot on his plate, so who knows?

3 things that I believe may have attributed to that:

1) He's a defensive minded HC. Being aggressive isn't necessarily exclusive to the offensive side of the ball, but it's usually what you think of when talk about aggressiveness. "Keeping your foot on the gas", "stepping on their throats", etc. are phrases that refer to the offense. 

2) He was a rookie HC. Granted there have been more aggressive rookie HCs in the past, but if you comibine that with his defensive background, you kind of understand why he might not have been as aggressive on offense as others. IMO, a lot of what we saw on offense was McDermott delegating to his OC, as he gets more acclimated with being HC. 

3) Talent on offense. When you think of aggressiveness in offense, you think of a potent passing attack. In 3 years with Taylor at QB, that was never the case, for long stretches at least. They were efficient more so than proficient, even with Sammy and Woods. Of course our run game being a major strength played into that, but last year, there weren't many weapons in the passing game. Shady and Clay were the top 2 pass catchers last year. When your RB and TE lead the team in receptions, getting aggressive would probably backfire more often than it would yield a reward. 

2 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

1) He's a defensive minded HC. Being aggressive isn't necessarily exclusive to the offensive side of the ball, but it's usually what you think of when talk about aggressiveness. "Keeping your foot on the gas", "stepping on their throats", etc. are phrases that refer to the offense. 

2) He was a rookie HC. Granted there have been more aggressive rookie HCs in the past, but if you comibine that with his defensive background, you kind of understand why he might not have been as aggressive on offense as others. IMO, a lot of what we saw on offense was McDermott delegating to his OC, as he gets more acclimated with being HC. 

3) Talent on offense. When you think of aggressiveness in offense, you think of a potent passing attack. In 3 years with Taylor at QB, that was never the case, for long stretches at least. They were efficient more so than proficient, even with Sammy and Woods. Of course our run game being a major strength played into that, but last year, there weren't many weapons in the passing game. Shady and Clay were the top 2 pass catchers last year. When your RB and TE lead the team in receptions, getting aggressive would probably backfire more often than it would yield a reward. 

Exactly

I too thought the game management was bad at points last year. Lucky it did not burn them.  If McDermott practices what he preaches we wont see more of the same.  I feel that he was pretty tough on himself even-tho  when asked about it after the game he never came out and said he screwed the pooch.  

45 minutes ago, MJS said:

I never said instinct isn't important. It IS important. And it is like speed. If a player has to focus on a complex scheme because they are confused by it, it doesn't matter how fast they are.

McDermott may have super awesome instincts, but if his focus is elsewhere that doesn't matter. My point is, he may have struggled for reasons other than having instincts for game management. He has a lot on his plate, so who knows?

I agree that can also be a part of it.  With experience a better flow in terms of game time readiness should happen.  

While I generally agree, the aggressiveness you want is situational. The coaches you named, guys like Tomlin and Peyton, those guys have first ballot HOF quarterbacks on their rosters. They have for a long time now. It's easy to make an aggressive decision when you know your qb gives you an unusually high handle of success. Last year we had Tyrod Taylor, a guy who often checked it down, didn't take chances with the football, and was generally struggling in the passing game. If we had attempted more 4th downs, we would have seen more 3 yard passes to Tolbert. 

...maybe when he's firmly planted on his "sea legs",his conservative approach will change....still think he did a great job for a 1st year HC (a/k/a ROOKIE himself).......he'll grow confidence as he moves ahead IMO.....I think the McCarron kid will prove to be a steady Eddie, efficient game manager that can move the chains.....at the same time, you don't draft a kid like Allen with his size and arm to play "Dopey Dickie Jauron Ball".....if that is McD's path, then as they say in Houston, "we've got a problem"......

5 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Many of the more aggressive teams are lead by offensive guys and that makes a difference.  

I expect him him to get better at some things like Timeouts and challenges, but I expect little change in the defensive minded HC view on going for it versus punting because their strength is defense And defending the length of the field.

This is where I see Coach McD's weakness is  - on offense.  He brought in coaches he was comfortable with but was not able to evaluate them well hence he ended replacing a bunch after getting rid of of some good ones.   Being a defense minded coach he needed to lean on offense coaches and often that led to disaster like P5t5rman's start in SD.   I expect him to be more aggressive on defense this year but same on offense.

6 hours ago, MJS said:

Bingo.  The HC that the OP talks about all have  franchise QBs and top talent defense.  When you have such a team, then you can take more risks and hence more rewards!

I am to much of a fan of McDermott to entertain doubt right now. He met and exceeded my expectations in his first season as a head coach. A few of the players dissapointed me but they are not Bills anymore. 

Now it's season #2 and I have my personal expectations set just a little bit higher. I'm just waiting to see if he can deliver again. I have confidence if he will. 

6 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I agree with points #2 and 3 wholeheartedly. Your first point is the one I think McD needs to guard against in the future. He is a defensive minded coach, but there are times that call for aggressiveness on offense. The Pats would be Super Bowl champs if Doug Pedersen wasn’t ultra aggressive. 

The 2017 version of McD was handcuffed by a lack of offensive talent. The 2018 edition looks much the same. However, if Allen develops into a franchise QB, McD will be afforded more opportunities to coach aggressively. McD’s 2017 coaching job was absolutely brilliant, but passive coaching can prevent teams from reaching the next level. Just ask Andy Reid or Marty Schottenheimer (ultra conservative coaches) how their playoff careers turned out. I trust that McDermott will make the proper adjustments if/when Allen becomes a franchise QB, but they will need to be made to take the next step. 

10 hours ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I agree with points #2 and 3 wholeheartedly. Your first point is the one I think McD needs to guard against in the future. He is a defensive minded coach, but there are times that call for aggressiveness on offense. The Pats would be Super Bowl champs if Doug Pedersen wasn’t ultra aggressive. 

The 2017 version of McD was handcuffed by a lack of offensive talent. The 2018 edition looks much the same. However, if Allen develops into a franchise QB, McD will be afforded more opportunities to coach aggressively. McD’s 2017 coaching job was absolutely brilliant, but passive coaching can prevent teams from reaching the next level. Just ask Andy Reid or Marty Schottenheimer (ultra conservative coaches) how their playoff careers turned out. I trust that McDermott will make the proper adjustments if/when Allen becomes a franchise QB, but they will need to be made to take the next step. 

You're right. 

All I'm saying is that if you combine those 3 things, you understand why he wasn't more aggressive. Considering the talent, and his lack of experience running the show, you would think that a coach would lean more on what he knows best, not the other way around. 

I think it's important to remember that it was year one for him, so there's nothing to compare it to. Unfortunately, this season looks to be much more of the "rebuilding" year than last year was, and the final record may fall short of 9-7 (which I've accepted; this team is heading in the right direction). If the offense isn't as good or any better this year, we may see even more conservativeness. On paper, the defense is better than it was last year, while the offense may take a step back. All depends on QB play and O-line. Leaning on the defense a bit more is probably going to be a better path to wins, than being more aggressive on offense. Then, we'll revisit this thread, and start to wonder if McDermott is DJ 2.0, even though it may just be temporary and for good reason.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
Stupid auto correct

18 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I do not expect this year to be to much different unless the defense is even better and/or Daboll instills confidence with the offense and a QB that can make the plays when needed.  Once we get that - then he can afford to be more aggressive.  

Last year they were a miserable 2 of 15 on 4th downs, but people want them to go for it more?

Being aggressive is great when you have the right team built up - for the Bills last year - I think being conservative won them more games than if they had tried to be more aggressive.

I agree.

Out of interest, of the 15 times McDermott elected to go for it on 4th down, what was the distance to go? 

Also, what was the play call by the OC whose name I've forgotten probably due to the insomnia he induced? 

There must have been a point when McD thought is there a point of going for it knowing the offense and co-ordinator weren't up to getting the job done?

Game management was an aspect of McD's coaching which wasn't as high a standard as other parts. I'm not worried about it. I will be if there's no sign of improvement this season.

18 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Here is my elaboration

- 1st year head coach

I'm sorry. In the real world, with real consequences, you don't get away with directly causing a problem and then get to be rewarded with the excuse that you did pretty well considering all the problems you directly caused. Only in the gullible "fake news" believer's world do you get away with this. And at this point, we don't even know yet the actual value of those draft picks he gutted nearly every core player for. And we will not know for some time . It is way too early for any Kudos for him and his actions.

He needs to look at what Doug Pederson did in the Super Bowl and grow some balls. 

Seriously, if the Bills didn't miraculously win that Colts game after McD punted with 4 minutes left in OT, I'd still be calling for his head. A lot of you would be, too. 

Edited by Domdab99

31 minutes ago, simpleman said:

I'm sorry. In the real world, with real consequences, you don't get away with directly causing a problem and then get to be rewarded with the excuse that you did pretty well considering all the problems you directly caused. Only in the gullible "fake news" believer's world do you get away with this. And at this point, we don't even know yet the actual value of those draft picks he gutted nearly every core player for. And we will not know for some time . It is way too early for any Kudos for him and his actions.

I am confused by this post

we DO know the results of that action as we made the playoffs 

mare you talking about evaluating McD in future years?