Giants were between Allen and Darnold at QB; Shurmer had Allen ranked 1st

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Seriously, is anyone surprised?

It appears that there was a consensus of the QB needy teams that Allen was the favored QB over Rosen.

When NFL evaluators looked at Allen they saw all his upside and viewed his supposed inaccuracies as his main risk to becoming a franchise QB.  

When NFL evaluators looked at Rosen they liked his ability to make passes and very well may have seen him as the best pure passer from the pocket.

But he was the most frail and least athletic of the three and had a history of injuries.  That was a risk.

And then there was his personality.  He was not viewed as a leader of men along with some other perceived attitude deficiencies.  It could be bogus or that in the whole scheme of things could be way overblown, but it is a risk and there could very well be something to it.  Meaning 2 big risks. 

I think at the end of the day the risks are what caused him to be viewed as the number 4 QB.

The way I see it is that Darnold was the most coveted QB among NFL evaluators/GM's, but by just a little bit. Followed closely behind by Allen, then Mayfield and then Rosen.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Speaking of confirmation bias...

Jon Ledyard of the great FanRagSports accuses Paul Schwartz of the New York Post of making up information and writing a "click bait" article.

It may or may not be because the report "flies in the face" of Ledyard's and the FanRagSports' team's evaluation of Allen.

This is funny, considering "Fan" and "Rag" form the title of your publication.   Not one person that I am aware of at NDT scouting has ever worked for a paying job for an NFL team.  This is football's equivalent of the AV club.  Consider Jon's credentials:

Jon Ledyard

Jon Ledyard has been writing about the NFL draft for several years now, and is thrilled to be bringing creative content and unique analysis to NDT Scouting. He lives with his wife Brittany and four-month old daughter Caylee in mid-western Pennsylvania. Jon is also the host of the Locked on NFL Draft and Breaking the Plane podcasts, while covering the Steelers for scout.com. The Office, LOST, weightlifting, ultimate frisbee, grilling, Duke basketball, and all Pittsburgh pro sports teams are his greatest passions

Edited by N.Y. Orangeman

11 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

This is the exact type of passive aggressive post that instigates the exact negativity your type claim to despise. 

Way to keep the negativity flowing, atta boy!

One of those posters that's smarter than NFL people is on the defensive.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Giants made the right move in picking Barkley in a strong QB draft class.  The key to a franchise's long term success if to get a great running back as they rarely pan out if drafted outside of the first 10 picks of the 1st round.  The Giants should be better this year and they'll be able to find a QB  even in the later stage of the 1st round to replace Eli next year when his arm gives out as franchise QB's are a dime a dozen.

• Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

But Eric Galko and Mike Schopp think he’s terrible.  They must be right

“Josh Rosen is the guy Buffalo covets. He’s the apple of their eye.” - Eric Galko

That clown doesn’t know anything. Makes me feel better that him and the d bag Schoop don’t like Allen.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

How was Allen ranked so high?

I've watched a bunch of his games and have really not been impressed so far. 

What's not to like? He's a freak physically and has tremendous leadership qualities and work ethic. Carried an irrelevant college football program to its most successful two-year stretch in 30 years. 

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I think the Giants made the right move in picking Barkley in a strong QB draft class.  The key to a franchise's long term success if to get a great running back as they rarely pan out if drafted outside of the first 10 picks of the 1st round.  The Giants should be better this year and they'll be able to find a QB  even in the later stage of the 1st round to replace Eli next year when his arm gives out as franchise QB's are a dime a dozen.

Yeah I can’t stand Gettleman, reminds me of Rex. He is going to be bad. If I’m Beane I’m calling NYG everyday.

Sterling Shepard for Shaq Lawson? Is Gettleman dumb enough to make that move. Not today? Call back tomorrow!

12 hours ago, peterpan said:

These rankings are based on perceived potential.  Allen does have some serious potential.  Me personally I would have like more of a sure fire thing....

Sounds great. Only thing is, last I knew there are never sure things in the draft, especially QBs (okay, consensus was that Luck was a sure thing, but almost never are QBs sure things), and in particular this year there is not. Which “sure thing” did you want?

The Giants were never going QB at #2.   They spent the off season getting Eli protection and weapons, and all they needed was a RB.   The only way they weren't taking Barkley was if Cleveland took him #1.   In that case, they likely would have taken Chubb.

Edited by SoTier

7 hours ago, Augie said:

Is ESPN still on TV?  I haven’t been keeping track of the implosion too closely. It seems they are trying to fail, and they are succeeding. 

They annoy the %&#@ out of me, for the most part. 

All ESPN talks about is basketball, and I love basketball. When a sports channel pimps Basketball and English soccer as their sports,you know they are in trouble.

I believe Shurmur said what’s referenced. Fans know very little with respect to the QB position. The world is statistic oriented now and people believe in them as the truth. Fans, and I see it here all the time, regurgitate what they see or hear from fanrag types, Jeremy Whites and Mike Schoops of the world.

“He has has a 56% accuracy rating” they say, therefore he’s inaccurate. It’s not the whole story here. There are variables outside of his control that created this accuracy argument.

Listen to the one of the guys that knows him well,Jordan Palmer.

The variables have been widely posted by many on this board but the brainwashed doesn’t comprehend. They are NOT wrong, they KNOW their QBs. They just knew J.P. Losman was a very good QB who was “ruined” by the Bills, EJ was “rushed to play too early, it ruined his career.”  

You just have to laugh at the excuses. A bad QB is a bad QB,regardless of timing.

I love the way Allen throws and moves in the pocket. He looks like a real QB,finally. I hated the pick originally until I actually researched him. I too listened to the guys on ESPN and the Jeremy Whites of talk radio.

Edited by dlonce
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

One of those posters that's smarter than NFL people is on the defensive.

You would choose to read it that way. Why bother even entertaining another perspective when myopia clearly runs so deep within you. 

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Another team down on Rosen?  I have to think there is stuff the teams have access to and we don’t that has caused that. 

Teams are fully aware of how his feelings on certain topics and his willingness to speak on those feelings can hurt their bottom line.  That's part of it.

Personally, I hope he tears the league up.

5 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

You would choose to read it that way. Why bother even entertaining another perspective when myopia clearly runs so deep within you. 

No my eye is always looking to the future but action has to be taken in the present.  But your use of uncommon words on a fan board really supports the belief that you want to appear smarter than everyone else.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

6 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

What's not to like? He's a freak physically and has tremendous leadership qualities and work ethic. Carried an irrelevant college football program to its most successful two-year stretch in 30 years. 

I've watched a bunch of his games and he sucked.

Slow to process information, not very accurate, etc. He's just not very good.

5 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Teams are fully aware of how his feelings on certain topics and his willingness to speak on those feelings can hurt their bottom line.  That's part of it.

Personally, I hope he tears the league up.

If what all these people were screaming was true I'd be right there with them.  The only thing I agree are common happenings are those towards different sexuality and individuals who have made mistakes in life.

19 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

My type?

What, pray tell, is "my type"?

Do you mean folks that like to jab a bit at the posters that state absolutes about prospects before they've taken a snap in the NFL?

Oh, then yes, that's my type.

I'm all about folks having an informed opinion; I'm also all about admitting when you aren't certain about something--the way some folks have railed against Allen, claiming certainty regarding his inability to succeed in the NFL, is well-deserving of ridicule IMO...even if they're eventually proven right.

If a good-natured ribbing upsets those folks, well, then they need to toughen up. I'll start the process by being less passive and more aggressive!

:beer:

Trolls have feelings too.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I want Allen to be great but it will be fun to watch Schopp squirm.

Don't count on it. Schoop will simply explain what he really meant.

23 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Trolls have feelings too.

Don't count on it. Schoop will simply explain what he really meant.

true, he is king flip flop.

all last year talked about how great it would be to trade up and then this year it was a horrible idea.

1 hour ago, Klaista2k said:

I've watched a bunch of his games and he sucked.

Slow to process information, not very accurate, etc. He's just not very good.

lol ok

Don't know what to tell ya. Do you have a long history of evaluating quarterbacks?

The good far outweighs the bad. He was put in a tough spot last season yet the team still went 8-3 in his starts (0-2 without him) with a bowl win.

Expert opinions just don't matter to me anymore.

I've heard and seen enough good things to have hope.

I've also heard and seen enough bad things to have fear.

No one knows if Allen will take the next step and become a great pro.  We'll all find out when we find out.

17 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Pat Shurmur has a 10-23 head coaching record and they drafted a rb over a qb.

You're really trying too hard.  Seriously.  Why not just say you don't think Shurmur knows anything about QBs?  That's obviously how you feel.  No, instead you throw out a meaningless stat (with respect to evaluating QBs) and talk about a decision made by someone else (the GM) on a team that already has an established veteran QB.  Great job.

Oh, and by the way, the Giants won 11 games just two years ago and sustained a ridiculous amount of bad luck last season.  It's not outside the realm of possibility that they are already the 2nd best team in their division -- going for an immediate impact player at #2 was hardly an indictment of the QBs in this draft.

Is there something wrong with Bills fans starting threads that contain material supportive of their new QB?

Edited by eball

On 5/4/2018 at 8:12 PM, Bobby Hooks said:

Hey, going to the opener? I am. Maybe we can share a beer and you can explain in person how funny and aggressive you are. 

Ill explain “what type” you’re acting like. 

Im sure it’ll be an excellent in person debate. You in? 

Bandit is one the most informed and insightful posters on this board, and has been for a long time.  I'm not sure where you're going with this, but I recommend stopping. 

• Like (+1) 2

He's smart, great work ethic, small town values, fast and strong, the biggest arm in years and played from the pocket. I think we got something real to work with here. We are all going to LOVE Josh Allen, even if some do not right now.