Draft Analyst Joe Marino of FanRag Sports on Bills Draft, Allen

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To claim there are no experts who rated Allen highly is just weird

The nerd experts - aka the bloggers and tweeters who never watch football but gather all of the statistics and think they mean something.

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Of course I want to get it right. I get it man. I was all in on Darnold and Rosen, and was upset when Allen's name was called. But what can I do? They didn't ask me before they picked him. If Allen fails, I doubt they will ask me before they pick the next QB. 

So I'll just go along for the ride like I always do. But in the mean time... 

I like having hope. 

I am not just just going to assume that Allen is already a bust before he's even thrown a single pass in a Bills uniform, and be miserable for the next few years. That seems absolutely pointless to me. Instead, I am going to try my best to find reasons to be hopeful until proven otherwise. 

But that's just me. I choose to be positive until given very good reason to be negative. And if/when that negative thing happens I'll get over it and try to find more reasons to be positive again. 

It has nothing to do with blind faith and treating the Bills like a religion. It has to do with not wanting to be a constantly negative and misaeable person (not saying you are). And it has to do with wanting to be hopeful for my hometown team that I love. What's the point in even being a sports fan if you can't have hope? 

We dont control any of this stuff. We are just fans. 

Me personally, I'd rather try to find the good things about Allen and try to spread hope to my fellow Bills fans. 

This is how I see my favorite team. I hope for the best and see what happens, and most importantly "stay positive".  I agree with your post and hope we found the QB we need. I cheer for my beloved Bills, but I don't let it ruin my life if they underperform.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

From earlier today on GR-55.

On Allen: 

"I had him as a third round pick, my 90th player on the board, so I was very much a Josh Allen skeptic and nothing's changed.  Two major concerns: processing skills/reading coverage and footwork skills impacting his accuracy.  Those are 2 areas of concern that not a lot of quarterbacks have had success overcoming."    

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/5-3-joe-marino-discusses-bills-and-nfl-draft-schopp-and-bulldog

I just have a couple questions...

When we've heard analysis from so many more qualified analysts than Joe Marino, doesn't anybody care what he says?

And do we really need yet another thread about what someone said about Josh Allen's pro prospects?

We all get it.  He has flaws in his game that he may or may not overcome. 

17 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I just have a couple questions...

When we've heard analysis from so many more qualified analysts than Joe Marino, doesn't anybody care what he says?

And do we really need yet another thread about what someone said about Josh Allen's pro prospects?

We all get it.  He has flaws in his game that he may or may not overcome. 

We have a hole in our hearts the shape of a franchise QB, and we keep trying to shove other QBs in that hole but they don't fit. Not until we get one that truly fits the hole will we stop fighting about it.

In the meantime, we had a gaping hole of at least 6 threads a day fighting about Tyrod, and somehow our FO managed to find a QB even more polarizing so here we are.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

On Allen: 

"I had him as a third round pick, my 90th player on the board, so I was very much a Josh Allen skeptic and nothing's changed.  Two major concerns: processing skills/reading coverage and footwork skills impacting his accuracy.  Those are 2 areas of concern that not a lot of quarterbacks have had success overcoming."    

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/5-3-joe-marino-discusses-bills-and-nfl-draft-schopp-and-bulldog

"3rd round pick" ?????

18 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

We have a hole in our hearts the shape of a franchise QB, and we keep trying to shove other QBs in that hole but they don't fit. Not until we get one that truly fits the hole will we stop fighting about it.

In the meantime, we had a gaping hole of at least 6 threads a day fighting about Tyrod, and somehow our FO managed to find a QB even more polarizing so here we are.

When quarterback is the most important position in the game, that player will always be the most polarizing until they prove themselves. 

If it was Baker we'd be concerned about his short height and maturity questions.  

If it was Rosen we'd be concerned about his perceived aloofness and arrogance along with his injury history. 

If it was Darnold we'd be concerned over his turnover history, the long history of busts at USC, and the fact that he doesn't have a sole.  

I think Allen will be a bust, but I'm done complaining about the pick and will just hope I'm wrong.

7 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

The crusading of the OP is tendentious, employing ridiculous hyperbole to cast a wet blanket.  Plenty of respected football minds think Allen has a chance to be very good and most acknowledge that he has a fairly exceptional skill set that needs development.

Good to know about the OP.

anyone watching Allen can see he is already better than Tyrod at reading a defense. Allen also throws to players being open not waiting till open, another wonderful Tyrod trait we have been subjected too. 

Allen will need time to develop, but he is already a better quarterback than Tyrod is and Tyrod has maxed out his talents. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Joe Marino is not exactly the Dan Marino of draft analysts.  Are we going to ignore the fact that he works for a second rate website like FanRag sports?

Why do you keep insisting on calling it second rate? It's pretty annoying, I don't know why you think you know anything about working in the media, especially sports media.

People do it for free, as a hobby. To get paid to do it is a feat in itself and all I do is come on here and see you talking down about professionals.

It's tiring. At this point it's fair to ask, what the !@#$ have you ever done in sports media to make you a worthy critic? 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, zonabb said:

The problem with draft analysis is draft analysis. The internet has turned every loser in his mom's basement into a self proclaimed draft analyst. The internet gives everyone regardless of skills and qualifications a voice, this forum being a prime example, yours truly included. But I honesty, and this is not hyperbole, thought "WTF is Joe Marino?" I have honestly never heard of the guy, which could be on me. Then I see the website and ask "WTF is fanrag?" And so for me, I won't even read it or give it any credibility and I am an Allen skeptic myself. But when you grade the guy as a 3rd, you're a moron. I'm no expert and I've watched tape on this kid, he's not the 90th rated player in this draft. 

Schoop is a big fan of Marino. That’s all you need to know.

Edited by joesixpack
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Good to know about the OP.

anyone watching Allen can see he is already better than Tyrod at reading a defense. Allen also throws to players being open not waiting till open, another wonderful Tyrod trait we have been subjected too. 

Allen will need time to develop, but he is already a better quarterback than Tyrod is and Tyrod has maxed out his talents. 

I think you are underselling Tyrod and overselling Allen.  Actually, they may be more similar in terms of timing and anticipation on throws than we all may like.  The difference being Tyrod wouldn’t throw a bad out route late, and that was one of Allen’s most troubling bad habits in college.  

I know the Bills got a 3rd round pick and saved salary, but I still think having Tyrod was a better plan than 3 inexperienced guys and a lack of continuity from the playoff run.  I don’t think AJ McCarron is the same caliber QB and lacks the all around ability of Tyrod.  I just don’t understand getting rid of a serviceable starter until someone unseats him because of undeniable talent.  

The Bills have done this before, and it didn’t work out.  I understand different players, different coaches and different FO.  But same error - the team is likely to take a big step backwards this year and it will be because of the offense.

9 hours ago, zonabb said:

The problem with draft analysis is draft analysis. The internet has turned every loser in his mom's basement into a self proclaimed draft analyst. The internet gives everyone regardless of skills and qualifications a voice, this forum being a prime example, yours truly included. But I honesty, and this is not hyperbole, thought "WTF is Joe Marino?" I have honestly never heard of the guy, which could be on me. Then I see the website and ask "WTF is fanrag?" And so for me, I won't even read it or give it any credibility and I am an Allen skeptic myself. But when you grade the guy as a 3rd, you're a moron. I'm no expert and I've watched tape on this kid, he's not the 90th rated player in this draft. 

Everybody has access to a lot more data and what might be called 'information' but the majority, including myself, have never had any actual face-to-face human contact with any of the QB prospects much less had the opportunity to interview and work them out from a professional perspective.  I think it was Bill Parcells that said these 'draft experts' are not talent evaluators but rather information gatherers.      

Also, I get a laugh whenever somebody states they've watched all the game film and video on Allen.  I think back to when Galisano owned the Sabres and he decided to cut expenses and fired their European scouting staff, replacing them with video scouting.  For some reason that was a complete flop. 

12 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

FanRag Sports? Is he a certified draft analyst, or a certifiable draft analyst?

I think he must be smarter than all the known evaluaters/scouts and experts who work for the NFL/Teams and Major Sports Networks. ;) 

Fanrag is a well recognized name in ladies rooms at all major sporting venues ;) 

BTW GR55 looks for some hack with the worst rating possible on the kid to drive their BS crap.

The Bills didn't take/ like Rosen so they are wrong time will tell.

Edited by JMF2006

12 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

On Allen: 

The contention that a guy with a 37 Wonderlic can't read a defense is absurd.   Almost as absurd as the suggestion that footwork can't be improved.

If accuracy statistics were  a lead indicator Colt McCoy would be Tom Brady.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

3 minutes ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

The contention that a guy with a 37 Wonderlic can't read a defense is absurd.   Almost as absurd as the suggestion that footwork can't be improved.

Some people really have a hate on for this kid its almost irrational.

Lets hope he proves them all wrong and re writes the Bills record book.

6 minutes ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

The BS about Allen is mind numbing. I think it's all coming from the Rosen fanboys. Anything good about Allen is a slap to Rosen, for some reason.

Edited by Sky Diver

12 hours ago, JoeF said:

We need to bring in Crash Davis to coach Josh Allen......  Hey Josh-- hit the Nose Tackle in the balls...

I knew a rabid Bills fan who maintained the best advice they could have given Gary Marangi was "throw to Blount".

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

Joe Marino=Chris Trapasso?

It is just comical that these guys are sticking to their "grades." A bunch of nerds who probably never played football before, when the entire league and scouting community pretty much feel that Allen was a top ten pick. Oh and by the way, if he came out last year, would have been the #1 pick. I get that not everybody love steh pick, but these losers are not taking projection into account and are hitching themselves to their guy. I should definitely trust some nerd at a computer over scouts, GMs and pro personnel people who have been doing this for a million years. ;)

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It is just comical that these guys are sticking to their "grades." A bunch of nerds who probably never played football before.

Hi, it's me here. Guy that never played a down at any level and had Allen as a 3rd round talent.

Huge difference between where he WILL go and where people feel he SHOULD go.

1 minute ago, Blokestradamus said:

Hi, it's me here. Guy that never played a down at any level and had Allen as a 3rd round talent.

Huge difference between where he WILL go and where people feel he SHOULD go.

Listen I respect what you do, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but if all these experts were experts, wouldn't they be working for an NFL team? Why is it that, basically, the entire NFL had him as a top ten pick and yet a few internet "scouts" are claiming he is a third rounder? I'm sorry but I'm not taking the word of the guy at his computer. I'm going with the NFL people.

These people watch every single down of every single play. They understand the passing concepts and what the player was tasked to do on a particular play. They get to sit down with the kid, one on one, and talk to him about what he was thinking on a particular play. They are able to project how the player makes reads and throws that they will need him to make that are specific to their offensive scheme. They talk to players, coaches, everyone around the kid. They know stuff on a much deeper level than you or anyone else who grades these guys as a hobby or for a draft service. 

I guess my point is, that anyone who give sthis guy a "grade" who does not have access to all of the information above, really are giving an incomplete grade. 

• Like (+1) 1

The crusade by TBD to discredit any draft analyst who offers criticism of Allen based on technical and mental processing deficiencies in his game is beyond sad. Anyone who actually listened to the interview would realize Marino acknowledges that he could be wrong, but the critiques he offered are well considered. I get that people want Allen to succeed as we all should, but to act as if Marino or anyone else who's opinion is based on film study that clearly exposed holes in his game is nothing more than Bills' fan bunker mentality.  He's not going to unsee what Allen showed and change his opinion just because some are in full Allen support mode with a refusal to acknowledge legitimate objective analysis. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

Really well put!

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The crusade by TBD to discredit any draft analyst who offers criticism of Allen based on technical and mental processing deficiencies in his game is beyond sad. Anyone who actually listened to the interview would realize Marino acknowledges that he could be wrong, but the critiques he offered are well considered. I get that people want Allen to succeed as we all should, but to act as if Marino or anyone else who's opinion is based on film study that clearly exposed holes in his game is nothing more than Bills' fan bunker mentality.  He's not going to unsee what Allen showed and change his opinion just because some are in full Allen support mode with a refusal to acknowledge legitimate objective analysis. 

I dismiss it because it is incomplete. He does not have access to the information, the coaches, the players etc etc etc that I stated above. He is watching film and nitpicking. That to me, is incomplete analysis and not a trustworthy source. To me, this analysis is interesting, but meaningless. It is impossible for this guy to know what Allen was supposed to do on a particular play, what was discussed in practice that week, what checks there were etc. He also can't talk to Allen about what he is thinking on a particular play. Now if we had an NFL team come out and say he was a third round pick, that would be interesting.  

58 minutes ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

Blaine Gabbert scored a 40 on the wonderlic

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't believe it is a crusade by TBD. The majority of posters I have seen recognize Allen for what he is: a QB with an extremely high ceiling and an extremely low floor. Most just prefer to be positive at this point. There are a minority of posters who choose to be willfully ignorant of any deficiencies in Allen's game that could keep him from becoming a franchise QB - just as there are a minority of posters, such as the OP, who choose to believe there is nothing in Allen's game to suggest he could ever be a franchise QB. 

At this point, what happens on the field is the only thing that is going to change the minds of the people in either of those groups.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Listen I respect what you do, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but if all these experts were experts, wouldn't they be working for an NFL team? Why is it that, basically, the entire NFL had him as a top ten pick and yet a few internet "scouts" are claiming he is a third rounder? I'm sorry but I'm not taking the word of the guy at his computer. I'm going with the NFL people.

These people watch every single down of every single play. They understand the passing concepts and what the player was tasked to do on a particular play. They get to sit down with the kid, one on one, and talk to him about what he was thinking on a particular play. They are able to project how the player makes reads and throws that they will need him to make that are specific to their offensive scheme. They talk to players, coaches, everyone around the kid. They know stuff on a much deeper level than you or anyone else who grades these guys as a hobby or for a draft service. 

I guess my point is, that anyone who give sthis guy a "grade" who does not have access to all of the information above, really are giving an incomplete grade. 

Trust me, I'm the leading expert on trying not to sound like a dick. I won't take it personally (although you could probably already tell that the subject irks me slightly).

Ideally, the NFL would be the cream of the crop in regards to every aspect. The best players, coaches, scouts, admin staff, whatever. Alas, it is a bit of a case of who you know still as opposed to what you know. There are ways that someone like me (never played, other side of the Atlantic) can make those connections. There's things like the Scouting Academy that Dan Hatman runs, that give you access to former players and coaches. People that, if they like you, would vouch for you to people in the industry. I know someone that now works for the recruitment team at the University of Houston thanks to that avenue.

I know that Matt Miller from Bleacher Report has spoke numerous times about being approached by teams. He had a child at 17 years old and prefers to work from home rather than do the 12-16 hour days that scouts do. He probably earns about as much, if not more, doing so. My stepdad did it for years in the 'other football' over here and he missed his daughter growing up because of the demands.

I've never tried to pretend that I have all of the information at my disposal. I've taken detailed notes and blogged about the draft for a few years but everything is an incomplete because of the lack of the full picture. I understand that and often use it as a disclaimer for myself. I'm just taking best guess work with my process for large parts. Despite that, I've had the ear of Matt Jansen who was recently fired as college scouting coordinator of the Houston Texans because he read some of my work. I assumed that I was doing something right!

If you (or anyone else) wants to have faith that the team is doing the best it can, you do you. Just tread carefully about sounding like you're invalidating the opinions of others, especially if they happen to conflict with yours. I'm not the enemy, I just don't like the damn pick :)

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

First of all, it's not a "crusade by TBD".  There are posters who are upset about the pick and bringing in every scrap of media that dislikes it.   And there are people who like the pick, either because they liked Allen all along (based on careful and well considered study or actually watching his games, in some cases) or because "he's a Bill, be a fan".  Let's not pretend there's some  uniform "hive mind" at work here.

You make a valid point about not discounting any data-based analysis by someone who puts time into it.

At the same time, some are going overboard in the other direction, and discounting equally data-based analysis by other analysts who put time into it and who rate Allen high, saying stuff like "there's no one" who has him rated highly. 

The fact is, he's a polarizing player because along with the technique and apparent processing issues, at other times he shows good technique, laser-like throwing precision, and the ability to make reads and progess.  He was playing behind a porous O-line and everyone watching film does not know exactly what the plays were and how he was coached. 

So the possibility exists that that he can be good, and people can acknowledge "legitimate objective analysis" and still think so based upon different "legitimate objective analysis".

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

If you (or anyone else) wants to have faith that the team is doing the best it can, you do you. Just tread carefully about sounding like you're invalidating the opinions of others, especially if they happen to conflict with yours. I'm not the enemy, I just don't like the damn pick :)

Good deal and great post. I suppose my point is that I feel like people who have never met this kid and did not get to talk to him about all of the mistakes he made and things of that nature can only offer a very limited review of his play. It is an incomplete grade. It is based on a very limited amount of information. 

I'm a teacher and I have to grade my student's writing. If someone came in and graded my students on their papers, the grade would probably be much different than mine. I know the kid, I know the question I posed, I know the expectation and requirement that I put forth, I know resources they had to work with, I know if they have struggled with a particular process, I know if they did the best that they could because they have single mom who dropped out of high school and can't afford a tutor. My point is that it would be unfair for some outsider to come in and grade that paper, when all they are looking at is the result. 

It is an incomplete and uninformed grade imo. Even the Mayock's and the Jeremiahs of the world know these kids very well. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

First of all, it's not a "crusade by TBD".  There are posters who are upset about the pick and bringing in every scrap of media that dislikes it.   And there are people who like the pick, either because they liked Allen all along (based on careful and well considered study or actually watching his games, in some cases) or because "he's a Bill, be a fan".  Let's not pretend there's some  uniform "hive mind" at work here.

You make a valid point about not discounting any data-based analysis by someone who puts time into it.

At the same time, some are going overboard in the other direction, and discounting equally data-based analysis by other analysts who put time into it and who rate Allen high, saying stuff like "there's no one" who has him rated highly. 

The fact is, he's a polarizing player because along with the technique and apparent processing issues, at other times he shows good technique, laser-like throwing precision, and the ability to make reads and progess.  He was playing behind a porous O-line and everyone watching film does not know exactly what the plays were and how he was coached. 

So the possibility exists that that he can be good, and people can acknowledge "legitimate objective analysis" and still think so based upon different "legitimate objective analysis".

No. It's not the entirety of TBD or Bills' fans for that matter, but there is an undeniable growing sentiment of he's a Bill now, so don't criticize him.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Good.  I've obviously made it known that the Allen pick was ridiculous and the record is well established on where I stand.

When we are going through all this crap again in 2 or 3 years with a new regime at the helm, I'll remind everyone.

Don't you people want to get it right?  Or do you just try to make yourselves feel good? 

I guess this team is a religion for you, and faith is all you need.

:thumbdown:

Pointing out a few of Allen's debilitating flaws is not a "hot take".

It might not jive with what you hope Allen to be, but that really isn't relevant to the discussion on Allen as a draft pick.

hahaha, so funny angry little bird.

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No. It's not the entirety of TBD or Bills' fans for that matter, but there is an undeniable growing sentiment of he's a Bill now, so don't criticize him.

I disagree.  There is a sentiment of he's a Bill, so let's support him and hope he does well.  He has things to learn just like any other QB that's ever been drafted.

The over the top stuff is the criticism that he will never make it as an NFL QB without actually seeing him throw one pass in the league.   It is not people saying don't criticize him, it is people saying that kind of criticism is ridiculous.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I disagree.  There is a sentiment of he's a Bill, so let's support him and hope he does well.  He has things to learn just like any other QB that's ever been drafted.

The over the top stuff is the criticism that he will never make it as an NFL QB without actually seeing him throw one pass in the league.   It is not people saying don't criticize him, it is people saying that kind of criticism is ridiculous.

Marino's critique was not over the top, yet look at some of the posts that sought to discredit him and his analysis that points to exactly what I'm referring to. 

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Good deal and great post. I suppose my point is that I feel like people who have never met this kid and did not get to talk to him about all of the mistakes he made and things of that nature can only offer a very limited review of his play. It is an incomplete grade. It is based on a very limited amount of information. 

I'm a teacher and I have to grade my student's writing. If someone came in and graded my students on their papers, the grade would probably be much different than mine. I know the kid, I know the question I posed, I know the expectation and requirement that I put forth, I know resources they had to work with, I know if they have struggled with a particular process, I know if they did they best that they could because they have single mom who dropped out of high school and can't afford a tutor. My point is that it would be unfair for some outsider to come in and grade that paper, when all they are looking at is the result. 

It is an incomplete and uninformed grade imo. Even the Mayock's and the Jeremiahs of teh world know these kids very well. 

I quite like that analogy and I respect the point that you're making. There's a lot more at play with any prospect than just the 60 minutes on the field at the weekend. Whether that is good/bad influences through family or friends, his practice habits, his work ethic, his educational standards. Hell, even just their life experiences in general shape the person that they are.

As far as the stuff on the field goes, I'd like to think that, over the course of a whole season, you get a feel for read progressions and game script when you watch the games. I'm admittedly not the best at diagnosing coverages, especially from the broadcast angles. I know that I have flaws, I guess I just assume that maybe even guys that do it for a living do as well. I'd definitely be willing to listen to the guys that have done it if they have a differing opinion to me. I even do that when certain posters disagree with me.

There is a universe (perhaps one beyond this realm) where the team can be wrong for the right reasons and I can be right for the wrong ones. I'd happily be wrong and reassess my process if it meant that I didn't have to evaluate another QB until I'm in my 40's :D

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Yet you dont see a mock draft by anyone where Josh Allen falls out of the top 10....with a few having him going number 1

“I think a few teams rank him highly” is all it takes to put a guy high in a mock. And some teams did. Was there a split among GMs though? Probably. But who knows how widely.

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

In reading through posts prior to the draft and since the draft, I really do not see anything new in regard to criticisms of Allen's abilities - it is all very well documented at this point. I do not begrudge anyone their opinion and I love healthy debates. However, he is a Buffalo Bill now and I personally don't see why anyone would want to continue focusing on the negatives. Once he gets on the field, there will be plenty of opportunities to analyze and discuss what he is doing well and what he is not. Until then, why not take a positive approach? Heaven knows I have endured enough misery with this team over the last fifty years I have followed them - I look forward to these small windows between the draft and the start of the season when I can be optimistic.

• Like (+1) 1