Russ Brandon - Leaving Role as President of Bills & Sabres due to workplace behavior and allegations of personal misconduct

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Because the report is, from someone who asked them directly, that the job is permanent. 

Called stability. 

Yeah nah they are gonna say we just gonna put our female owner in for a bit to calm the storm. And the minute we can move on we will put another person in there 

Just now, Rob's House said:

You don't catch a lot of flack when you're winning superbowls.

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal. I  doubt she acts as much more than an overseer. She'll probably have guys like the ones Kirby mentioned running things, making the decisions, and reporting back to her.

I think that is what will happen, too. I do, however, think it would be better optics to hire someone who has the background. 

That said, since I am the pinko fag that I am, I also believe it may be a good thing to break down some some ceilings and have her be another female in a major position at an NFL team that opens the door for others who may be qualified in the future. There have been female owners before but it was always when their husbands died. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

She could still do that when theyre ready. This happened fast, so of course they are going to put on the strong face and say "I got this, no problem, it'll be great!". And then find someone down the line.

Again it's been reported that the job is permanent. 

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Let’s hope Kim knows how to be a President of an NFL and NHL hockey team....at the same time.  Hopefully they are looking for replacements for the two positions  This could be the beginning of the end of it isn’t.  Beane and Botteril better be the truth

Under NFL and NHL bylaws can Kim Pegual be the president of BOTH the Bills AND the Sabres??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This is a great day for Buffalo

There is some justice to Russ' victims, yes, victims.  Make no mistake, what Russ did was sexual harassment.  The men who pull that **** deserve what they get, and, yes, justice is to be celebrated, even if it ruins his life.  He doesn't deserve our pity, his victims deserve our sympathy.

Secondarily, it rids these organizations of the so-called marketing genius, who self-promoted himself into football positions that led to crap decision after crap decision.  One of the most overrated executives in history, not to mention an arrogant prick.

And, please, can we stop the "how well respected he is in football circles" and "how he single handily saved the franchise from financial ruin" --- give me a !@#$ing break.

This is the same guy who was responsible for "selling" our home games to Toronto, imagine if that worked the way he wanted, we might be the Toronto Bills.  The same guy high fiving in the draft room after one of the worst draft day trades when we traded to draft Watkins.  The same guy who made sure the Pegulas "got their man", good ole Rex Ryan and his **** show.  The same who used a mid 1st round pick to draft EJ.  The same guy . . . fill in the blank, we can fill pages of his bad decisions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Personally I’d rather have Kim than another steakhead football “lifer”. 

What’s the problem again? They have a actual honest-to-god GM now. Beane makes the football decisions.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

Why is okay for Josh Allen to make racial and homophobic statements but it's not ok for Russ Brandon to hook up with a female employee? 

Yeah, I mean, if OJ can get away with murder, why can't Brandon diddle the help?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rob's House said:

Yeah, I mean, if OJ can get away with murder, why can't Brandon diddle the help?

Honestly, there's too many posts like Klaista2k, that it makes it hard to differentiate sarcasm and serious posts now. Had to do a double-take and re-read yours before I was sure you were joking...

...I think.

Taking on all that responsibility permanently is a VERY big decision to supposedly make in 24-48 hours.

So to me it seems like it is either an ill considered decision made suddenly in the heat of a crisis. 

Or it was planned and thought about for a good long while before this.

It is just rather unusual and sketchy to me.

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I think we’re arguing about the wrong thing.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Russ was embezzling assets, or even stealing from the bills and sabres. 

Theres going to be a thorough internal investigation. He could go to jail if he embezzled a significant amount of cash. 

This dude was slime to the highest degree.

we all knew he was a snake oil salesman.

he took advantage of Ralph for crying out loud. 

Jailbird Russ would be EPIC! :lol:

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Pretty slanderous stuff there.   Better add, "a lot of people say..." to be safe.

Russ Brandon v. GETTOTHE50 on Judge Judy.

My DVR is ready!

49 minutes ago, Mr. ChumChums said:

Seriously - how do they know she's not qualified? A (very) basic internet search tells a different story, where she was involved with Terry's company from 1991, up until they sold it in 2010. A 19-year career in the energy-business is nothing to laugh at.

Your not serious, are you?.  She had a PR job that even she admits Terry made up for her...

I’m glad Brandon is gone. He was responsible for drafting Aaron Maybin and other busts. When he took over as Bills CEO, he ranted and raved that the Bills brand was tarnished and he would leave no stone unturned in finding the right coach, then he was so infatuated with Marrone and immediately stopped the coaching search (Marrone was only the third person Brandon interviewed). Then he told the Pegula’s “Don’t let him [Rex Ryan] leave the building,” and we all know how Wrecks tenure with the Bills went. 

I’ll give him credit for helping orchestrate the sale of the Bills, keeping the Bills viable during the 17 year drought as well as game attendance figures. Otherwise, I’m glad he’s gone. Ralph had trust issues and put people in key positions in the organization that weren’t qualified, but were trusted by Ralph and the results on the field showed.

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Your not serious, are you?.  She had a PR job that even she admits Terry made up for her...

So you’re saying her job during those the entirety of those 19 years was made up? That she had no responsibilities during the entire tenure?

1 minute ago, Mr. ChumChums said:

So you’re saying her job during those the entirety of those 19 years was made up? That she had no responsibilities during the entire tenure?

PR and share holder services.  Look it up, Thurman...

3 minutes ago, Mr. ChumChums said:

Legitimately do not understand your point here. Help a brotha out?

Her role was to generate favorable PR and handle relations with East Resources shareholders.  Pretty simple stuff...

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2015/08/23/kim-pegula-making-difference-adopted-hometown/32166573/

"We went in there for a waitressing position, and they sat us back in the bar area, kind of quiet, and in that area there were men sitting there and one of them was Terry," said Posey.

Kim and Terry struck up a conversation, and Terry gave Kim his business card and told her to give him a call if she was ever back in town.

She rang the following week and he wasn't in the office, so she left a message and then basically forgot about him. She graduated a couple of weeks later, went back to Olean to interview at the local public television station when, out of the blue, Terry called. They went out a couple of times, and perhaps sensing something in the air, he said he had a job for her at East Resources if she was interested.

That was the end of the trip to Alaska.

"He said, 'Hey, I can use somebody at East,' but I think he made that up," Kim said with a laugh. "He said, 'I do investor relations and if you've got communication, if that's your background, I don't do that very well. I just know how to drill oil and gas wells, so maybe you can do that.' I said, 'OK, I'll do that for now and wait to find out about the other job,' and there came a point where I thought, 'Hmmn, maybe I don't want the other job.' "

Kim handled a variety of tasks at East Resources, and one of her coups was landing Terry on the cover of American Express' monthly magazine for a story about the fast-rising company, in which Terry said — back in 1992, mind you — that one of his dreams was to own a pro sports team.

I was very surprised that Brandon has lasted this long into the Pegula era. Usually an ownership and regime change means a total housecleaning. While Brandon likely had a very good severance package and was apparently found guilty of serious misconduct, I still find it sad when people get fired, even deservedly. 

Sexual harrassment is a serious issue which left unaddressed can destroy people and organizations. If Brandon is just getting his comeuppance now one wonders just what the culture at OBD was truly like. I guess our franchise was living in darkness on and off the field. Having a consensual affair is one thing, but ritual harrassment of subordinates is serious wrongdoing that cannot go unpunished. 

He must have been a pretty good BS artist to have cajoled this much power out of Ralph. The lack of thanks for his service in the Pegs PSA speaks volumes.

• Like (+1) 7

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Her role was to generate favorable PR and handle relations with East Resources shareholders.  Pretty simple stuff...

Gotcha, thanks for that background.

I will disagree on your claim that it is "pretty simple stuff", however. Some of the most challenging projects that I've worked on involved incorporating PR strategies into our larger communications plans. PR (at least in today's world) is definitely not simple, and often involves a complex web of relationships and media channels. Same with investor relations - definitely not simple. Possibly early on in her career, but as the organization grew, those responsibilities expand, and along with it, so does the complexity.

1 minute ago, stuvian said:

I was very surprised that Brandon has lasted this long into the Pegula era. Usually an ownership and regime change means a total housecleaning. While Brandon likely had a very good severance package and was apparently found guilty of serious misconduct, I still find it sad when people get fired, even deservedly. 

Sexual harrassment is a serious issue which left unaddressed can destroy people and organizations. If Brandon is just getting his comeuppance now one wonders just what the culture at OBD was truly like. I guess our franchise was living in darkness on and off the field. Having a consensual affair is one thing, but ritual harrassment of subordinates is serious wrongdoing that cannot go unpunished. 

He must have been a pretty good BS artist to have cajoled this much power out of Ralph. The lack of thanks for his service in the Pegs PSA speaks volumes.

Not sure if sexual harassment is part of it. Personal misconduct and behavior. From Wawrow’s interview, he was involved in an affair with an employee of PSE and when word got out they did an internal investigation. When confronted by Kim, he lied. Hence the forced resignation. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I missed that this was a thread about immorality.  I'm not worried about "immorality" and maybe I missed it, but I didn't see much other worry.

I thought it was a thread about Russ Brandon getting fired, allegedly for sexual relationships with his direct reports, with collateral discussion about whether/why sexual relationships with coworkers (especially direct reports) is appropriate.

To me, they aren't, because of the practical complications I mentioned.

Then we are having two different conversations.

As I said in one of my first several posts in this thread, I respect the Pegula's right, which I 100% support, to negotiate Russ Brandon's exit.  That is their decision, and I am far more generous in supporting the right of the employer to discharge any employee for any reason than most you'll encounter.

That is not what is in dispute.

What I am arguing against is the moral underpinnings of a guiding philosophy which directly ties how people should behave to how willing we are to sue people, and the hands-in-pockets, strangely humanist-yet-Puritanical, untrusting outcomes all of this dictates.

I understand that you're arguing the law, because the law is on your side.

I'm arguing that I think it's wrong to presume the accused is guilty simply because he's been accused.  And again, this shouldn't be controversial.

Edit:  And if what he was fired for was dipping his pen in the company ink, the only scandal is that Kim Pegula feels herself meta enough that she should be able to dictate to people who they should !@#$.  

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

7 minutes ago, Mr. ChumChums said:

Gotcha, thanks for that background.

I will disagree on your claim that it is "pretty simple stuff", however. Some of the most challenging projects that I've worked on involved incorporating PR strategies into our larger communications plans. PR (at least in today's world) is definitely not simple, and often involves a complex web of relationships and media channels. Same with investor relations - definitely not simple. Possibly early on in her career, but as the organization grew, those responsibilities expand, and along with it, so does the complexity.

East Resources was a 31-well shale gas drilling outfit when it was sold.    We're not talking GM or P&G here...

"When confronted by Kim Pegula, the sources said, Brandon denied any such relationships, but the investigation indicated he was deceitful about that and other job-related issues that were uncovered."

This line caught my eye...Hopefully more news forthcoming.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Holy Crap!  I was looking for The Onion or some non credible source, but it's Wawrow and Tim Graham, it must be for reals.

Linked article says that too.

I didn't buy it either...it started off as a jw "hmmmmmmmmmmmmm" tweet, and you can only imagine what that is...a min later it was bam! I about fell out of my chair at work...

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

I haven't heard anything about "ritual harassment of subordinates", just an affair with a subordinate(s) (which is a problem of itself)

Got a source?

2 minutes ago, musichunch said:

The strangest part about all of this is that I always assumed Brandon batted for the other team, if you know what I mean.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that."  Wife and 3 kids