Beane giving sense that a trade prior to draft unlikely, all depends on who goes #1

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think what will send a wacky series of events is if the Browns take Darnold #1 and then we trade up to #4 and take Darnold.  People would be so confused.

That would be something!  Browns draft Darnold at #1 ... if Allen is still there at #4, Browns draft him too, then trade Darnold to Bills for ransom.  If Allen is gone by 4, Browns keep Darnold and they are still happy.  Could happen.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

None of this is a big deal imo. They likely have deals laid out based on a number of scenarios, with a number of different teams. That is why they did something like 5 mock drafts as a staff. Also, they are only going to give up draft capital for a guy they think is worth it. He has said this numerous times. Again. I know people disagree with me, but what the Jets did was dumb and short sighted. If they were really targeting Mayfield, maybe they could have gotten him at 4 or even 6. Beane is operating like a thoughtful GM, and I love it. I still think Darnold or Rosen are the guy, but who knows. I'm guessing they liked both, and know that they cannot get Darnold...either the Browns are taking him first, or the Giants are going to take him if the Browns pass. So I think they are trying to find a way to get Rosen. 

This is where I'm at for the most part as well. If for some reason the Browns take Allen instead at 1 and Darnold is available at 2 (not sure Giants take QB) things change.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFan8083 said:

That would be something!  Browns draft Darnold at #1 ... if Allen is still there at #4, Browns draft him too, then trade Darnold to Bills for ransom.  If Allen is gone by 4, Browns keep Darnold and they are still happy.  Could happen.

I wish I had Oceans 11 type skills.  I would go in and put LSD in all the drinks of Browns and Bills war room and just watch.

Maybe have opium smoke coming out of the vents too.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Get used to her, she’s assigned to the Bills from NFLN for the draft! 

hmmmm  interesting

Aditi Kinkhabwala is a Pittsburgh-based reporter for NFL Media which she joined in 2012 after two years at the Wall Street Journal. At The Journal, Kinkhabwala was a New York Giants beat writer and NFL writer (and went zip-lining over Indianapolis with Roger Goodell)

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

None of this is a big deal imo. They likely have deals laid out based on a number of scenarios, with a number of different teams. That is why they did something like 5 mock drafts as a staff. Also, they are only going to give up draft capital for a guy they think is worth it. He has said this numerous times. Again. I know people disagree with me, but what the Jets did was dumb and short sighted. If they were really targeting Mayfield, maybe they could have gotten him at 4 or even 6. Beane is operating like a thoughtful GM, and I love it. I still think Darnold or Rosen are the guy, but who knows. I'm guessing they liked both, and know that they cannot get Darnold...either the Browns are taking him first, or the Giants are going to take him if the Browns pass. So I think they are trying to find a way to get Rosen. 

Well said my thoughts exactly.  Only thing I worry about is the Jets taking Rosen at 3. I think if Darnold goes 1 and Rosen goes to 3 we will stay put or even trade down.  Giants are the key with the Jets QB of choice. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not convinced that there won’t be a blockbuster, to include Cleveland’s #1 overall.

I just can’t figure out why the Browns wouldn’t have come out and announced who their guy is other than there has been a big offer made and they want to keep their options open right up until they are on the clock.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

2 minutes ago, papazoid said:

still think the bills are moving up.....just a matter of finding a partner

the mock draft silly season is almost over

Peter King just said he fully believes the Bills will move up to draft either Rosen or Allen. 

• Like (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I think that the Browns are not tipping their #1 pick like teams in the past have because they are in the unique situation of also having the #4 pick. That means that they need to play the game. 

This, and more.   This draft is unique in my memory.   The trade possibilities are endless.   

Because they have #4, Browns could trade out of #1.   Possible, not likely.

Giants could trade up to #1 or trade back to #3, #4 or anyplace else. 

Jets could trade up to #1 or #2.   They could trade back if #1 and #2 don't work out as they're hoping. 

Browns certainly could trade out of #4.  

Broncos could trade up or back.

Colts could trade up or back.  They could move to #4 to get ahead of the Broncos.

After #6, anything could happen, because there are four teams not looking for a QB.   There are plenty of teams looking for a QB or that may want to get into the top 10 just because they want a guy who's there.  

Or everyone will stay where they are.   Actually, #1 through #12 staying where they are almost seems like the most unlikely scenario.  I think there will be multiple trades in the top 10.  

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Peter King just said he fully believes the Bills will move up to draft either Rosen or Allen. 

It makes sense that those are the two. I still lean Rosen because he is ready to play. Allen just needs so much time, but could be amazing. 

24 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I’m not convinced that there won’t be a blockbuster, to include Cleveland’s #1 overall.

I just can’t figure out why the Browns wouldn’t have come out and announced who their guy is other than there has been a big offer made and they want to keep their options open right up until they are on the clock.

I agree something could happen at #1.

As to why the Browns haven't announced, I think in many drafts it isn't until the day or two before the draft that word leaks about the #1 overall pick.   I'm expecting that we'll hear sometime today that the Browns will take X.

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I can't shake the feeling we're trading up to #2 and selecting Mayfield. Just have to make sure the Browns take Darnold first.

I actually had that thought not too long ago.  What if the Jets really do love Mayfield and that's why they moved up to #3.....then the Bills leapfrog the Jets at #2 to take Mayfield.

They would be sooooooooooooooooo mad!

Image result for Angry Jets Fan GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I can't shake the feeling we're trading up to #2 and selecting Mayfield. Just have to make sure the Browns take Darnold first.

I'd love it.   I think it's impossible.   As I've said, I don't think the Giants are trading out of 2, but if they are, it's because they don't want a QB.   The safe trade for them is with the Jets.   If the Giants tell the Jets the Giants are trading out, the Jets can't afford to sit at 3.   The Jets don't have a second round pick, so the Giants probably could pry the Jets' 2019 first round pick out of them.   

That's a much better trade for the Giants, because they still get the best non-QB in the draft AND they get an extra first rounder next year.  

In terms of pure draft value, the Bills have capital to deal with.   They could offer, as was rumored, two first rounders this year and one next year, a really hefty price to pay, as far as the Bills are concerned.   But that deal leaves the Giants outside the top 10, and I doubt they want that.   

So for the Bills to get to #2, I think they need a three-way deal with the Browns.   The Browns might be willing to move back to 12 and 22 in exchange for #4, and the Giants might be willing to move back from #2 to #4 in exchange for the Bills first rounder next year.   That still leaves the Giants in position to take the first non-QB.   The Giants' risk in that deal is that the Browns and Bills take the two QBs the Jets want, so at 3 the Jets decide not go QB.   

I said weeks ago, shortly after the Jets trade, that any trade involving Buffalo at the top of the draft would not happen until draft night.  His desire to hold on to draft capital would seem to preclude going all the way up to #2, even though there's been some buzz about that.

45 minutes ago, papazoid said:

still think the bills are moving up.....just a matter of finding a partner

the mock draft silly season is almost over

I like the movk draft season as a whole but this year has been ridiculous and I want it over.

The Browns are keeping everything secret, because it may give them an advantage at #4.  Instead of letting teams plan around them weeks before the draft, they can watch the mad scramble on Thursday night (probably for quarterbacks) and then take their choice of non-QB options when the smoke clears.

I think the Bills have several different QB targets.  Which one they get will be totally dependent on how the draft board falls, and how much teams are asking in a trade.

It's possible a trade with the Giants is still on the table.  But it totally depends on who the Browns take, and whether New York is even willing to move out at that point.  If our top 1-2 guys are gone, I think we start talking to the Broncos at #5 and then work our way down.  At some point, I think one of those teams will work a deal.  But if by chance we get shutout, I think Beane will just use his picks on other positions and target someone later in the draft like Mason Rudolph or Kyle Lauletta.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

And this makes perfect sense. They probably have 1 guy they are sold on to move up to #2 for if he is there. If not then I expect them to wait on the Jets to take their guy. After that it is a Libra Scale of risk/reward for what we do. 

• Like (+1) 1

Can we get to tomorrow night already? When was the last time we went into a draft not knowing who the number one overall pick will be? I also feel the Browns trade out of either No. 1 or No. 4, they can't afford the fifth year option on both.

I think this is big news actually. By admitting they are not trading up prior to the draft means a move to pick 2 is unlikely. We have heard from many sources that Giants won't trade all the way back to 12 and miss out on the top guys. I always thought we would have to move up to pick 4-7 prior to the Giants being on the clock for our trade offer to be attractive to them. I think they will be picking a player at 2. They could accept our trade then trade back up but that is risky if the other team backs out so it seems highly unlikely

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Maybe they are afraid of a pre-draft meltdown of their fanbase (and Hue Jackson) if they announce the Josh Allen selection now.

2 hours ago, teef said:

i think darnold going first is what sets off a wacky series of events.

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

But isn't Darnold going #1 the most expected outcome for the last several months?

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

I’d be shocked if it’s anyone but Darnold at one.

I think Darnold NOT going first is what will set off a lot of activity.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I think this is big news actually. By admitting they are not trading up prior to the draft means a move to pick 2 is unlikely. We have heard from many sources that Giants won't trade all the way back to 12 and miss out on the top guys. I always thought we would have to move up to pick 4-7 prior to the Giants being on the clock for our trade offer to be attractive to them. I think they will be picking a player at 2. They could accept our trade then trade back up but that is risky if the other team backs out so it seems highly unlikely

Yup.  Three way deal with the Giants and either the Browns or the Broncos.   Keeps the Giants in the top 5 along with another nice pick somewhere,  gives the Browns or Broncos some nice picks and moves the Bills up.   Not beyond the realm of possibility.  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, mannc said:

Maybe they are afraid of a pre-draft meltdown of their fanbase (and Hue Jackson) if they announce the Josh Allen selection now.

I’m actually hoping they take Darnold otherwise our trade up options may be lessened.