What if no QB with first pick

mattstev

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

What if Jackson or Rudolph ends up the best QB from the draft? Is that really such a shocking prediction that we can't even wait to see what happens before crucifying everyone?

Not to me, the "top 4" all have major flaws coming in. Darnold's a turnover machine, Rosen's a walking concussion waiting to happen, Mayfield talks so much NFL defenders are going to try to inflict max pain whenever they get the chance, and Allen's a one trick pony.

If they get Jackson at #12 or Rudolph at #22, I'm good with that and them keeping all of their high draft picks.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bleedingreennc said:

I get that you guys have a lot of draft capital, but teams seem reluctant to drop too far down, the Colts already said that's why they traded with us. One things for sure, Jackson should be there at 12 for you.

You are behind on the latest from Chris Ballard.

Just now, 1billsfan said:

Not to me, the "top 4" all have major flaws coming in. Darnold's a turnover machine, Rosen's a walking concussion waiting to happen, Mayfield talks so much NFL defenders are going to try to inflict max pain whenever they get the chance, and Allen's a one trick pony.

If they get Jackson at #12 or Rudolph at #22, I'm good with that and them keeping all of their high draft picks.

That's something we agree on, they all have flaws. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You are behind on the latest from Chris Ballard.

He said he would have to have a really good offer, otherwise they are happy where they sit.

5 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

That's something we agree on, they all have flaws. 

He said he would have to have a really good offer, otherwise they are happy where they sit.

On 4/20/2018 at 2:57 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Trading down to 12 should work for them with four top QBs available. 

2 hours ago, qwksilver said:

Then I feel as if Beane has failed. They spent 9 months gathering picks and they can't take the final step (s).

Maybe then take Rudolf or Jackson at 22, which ever lasts that long. Still a colossal failure. 

Respectfully, I just don't understand this attitude.  In order to trade up there needs to be someone willing to trade back.  Beane has no control over that.  What if Beane and McDermott and the rest of the scouts believe that just two of the four QBs in this draft class will fit their system and are potential franchise QBs, but those QBs are off the board before they can find a partner to trade up with?

Are the Giants, Browns, Jets, Colts, and Broncos supposed to go against their team's best interest and trade out to Buffalo because they are nice guys and we REALLY need a QB??  

What would be a colossal failure on Beane's part would be to reach for someone they are not convinced is worthy of the draft capital required, just to draft a QB this year.  I have a news flash for everyone.......  There will be good QBs in next years draft too.  I promise. 

There is no argument from me that it would be best if we could draft a great QB prospect this year, but it will not be the end of the world if they can't.  Beane can't make the people in the draft ahead of them do what he wants them to do.  If we can't get our QB this year, use our boatload of hard earned draft picks wisely.  Fill in holes in our roster, trade back if you can and maybe pick up some draft ammo in next year's draft, but for the love of God, don't get pressured into drafting the wrong QB just so you can say you drafted a QB this year. 

That's the kind of desperation move that bad franchises make year in and year out with their rosters that keeps them perpetually bad franchises.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Hmmm really yet the NY Jets were able to get in a spot to get their QB. 

Hmmmm

It is a failure of a plan that was set in Motion with the trade down last draft

I hate it when everyone says that . They had to move up from 6. We needed to move up from 22 now 12. It seems likely teams in the top 10 maybe aren't so willing to move down out of top 10. 

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Oh yeah.. fire and brimstone.... Kim is cheap, Terry is meddling.. Russ shouldn’t be in the draft room. 

You name it 

Was a genuine question btw.

Some people think the GM is "McBeane" and don't realize that the GM is Beane and the coach is McDermott, and "McBeane" is a contraction of both lol

3 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Colts GM Ballard says he thinks there are 8 " elite" players in this draft outside the 4 QB prospects. Fwiw. That would leave one of these players available at 12. 

Maybe so but two of those guys are safeties and one is a corner, neither is a position of need for us let alone worth a first round pick. Another one of those guys is a RB and we already have a great one. The guys we could most use are the 4 QB's, Edmonds, Smith, Nelson and Chubb. Add in the guys we don't really need, Barkley, James, Ward and Fitzpatrick and thats your 12. Vita Vea would be nice as would DaRon Payne but neither is really an impact player or a game changer. Maybe Calvin Ridley will be there at 12 but I have had enough of trying to build a winner with first round WR's. Many of the rest are on the OL and yeah, we could use help there but other than Nelson, none of them is anywhere near "elite". The good news is we are another day closer to all this guessing being over!

7 minutes ago, Cusefan66214 said:

No more running qbs

i want someone who doesn’t miss wide open receivers who are 7 yards away

someone who won’t throw checkdowns to Tolbert 

Just get rid of Tolbert...BANG!!  Problem solved!   :)

I like someone who can move a little, but a 210# QB who runs too much will end up in the body shop. 

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

And just saying trades happen. So those saying well we couldnt get there is bumpkiss. There was already One trade out in the top 5. 

And why was this draft capital aquired again?

The answer to that might be to get rid of underperforming overpriced vets and bring in McDermott guys on good contracts

that said Qb is the head of the snake

5 hours ago, Bills Freak said:

I hate it when everyone says that . They had to move up from 6. We needed to move up from 22 now 12. It seems likely teams in the top 10 maybe aren't so willing to move down out of top 10. 

Or they just offered a better package and we went cheaper 

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The answer to that might be to get rid of underperforming overpriced vets and bring in McDermott guys on good contracts

that said Qb is the head of the snake

Star in not a good contract. For the record 

They have to take a QB with whatever first pick they have.

Even if it ends up being a guy that would probably be available at 22, they HAVE to take him at 12 (or higher if they trade up), and say "We are so happy to have Josh Mayfield Jackson, we had him as the top ranked QB in this draft, and we're just thrilled".

There is no room for being clever. They can't risk the best available QB not being there at 22. It would be stupid to tempt fate. I don't care if they have 3 guys all rated the same. They can't risk them all being gone by 22, and they wouldn't be able to say "this is the guy we wanted all along" if they passed him at 12. All the tarot cards, all the coffee grinds, and all the stars in the night sky, are positioned for them to select a QB with their first pick.

I can only believe that the default position (Plan B), would be to trade 12 away for a 2019 1st round pick. That would be the only face saving move they could escape with. And even that would be a really tough sell.

Edited by OJABBA
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, mattstev said:

What if everything goes against us and we miss the top 4 qbs or don't want to trade up for the one that's left. If we were not going to take a qb with our first pick this draft, what should we do?

Is there anyone else you would trade up for if they were sliding to 8-10, or who would you want to see drafted at 12.

I personally would love if Nelson were slipping to move up a couple picks and grab him. I don't think that's likely but there is a decent chance either he or one of the elite lb's (Edmunds, Smith) will fall a bit.

What if...we didn’t start the same threads over and over again asking the same questions

13 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Or they just offered a better package and we went cheaper 

Star in not a good contract. For the record 

Better package to to drop fewer slots. The idea we always go cheap went out w/ Ralph imo. The early Jets move is not common & I would guess Beane didn't see that coming

22 hours ago, Adam727 said:

Hopefully this doesn't happen.  If it does, I'd like to see the Bills trade back as many times as possible for as many 1st round picks in 2019 as possible.  I know this won't be a popular idea, but the Bills have a ton of draft capital.  Given that each draft pick next year is worth 1 round less than picks from this year, if the Bills traded down in exchange for 2019 draft picks they could do what Cleveland just did and own the draft for the next few years and get a QB next year.  

If they do this then they had better not go and try for the danged playoffs again this year - unless they already have a top 5 first round pick for '19 in hand

Edited by sleeby

If they don't come away with one of the top QB prospects, everything they've done in preparation for this draft is going to get scrutinized non-stop until next years draft. Obviously, they've needed a franchise QB for a long time. Huge swing and miss with EJ Manuel in 2013, but that dissuaded them from picking one in 2014 (Carr, Bridgewater, Garoppolo). Then they rolled with Taylor in '15 which kept them from considering making a run up the board for Mariota (Tampa Bay was locked in on Winston as soon as the draft order was finalized that year). No one else of note was available in 2015. In 2016 they went with Taylor again which meant they wouldn't bother trying to get into a position for Goff or Wentz. Word was they wanted Prescott, and they could've had him in the fourth round as they had pick #117 (Prescott was taken at #135) but they gave that pick to Chicago in order to move up to #41 in the second round for Reggie Ragland. With their other 4th round pick (#139) they took Cardale Jones. Both players stuck around for one full season and the 2017 pre-season before being shipped out. In 2017, they went with Taylor one more time, traded down from #10 to #27 (don't get me wrong, I love me some Tre' White, think he's going to be a good one for a long time) and took themselves out of contention for Trubisky, Mahomes and Watson. 

Derek Carr is a solid starter. Teddy Bridgewater looked like he was on his way to being a decent starter before the injury, no idea if he'll ever get a serious crack at a starting job again, and Garoppolo looks like he may wind up being the best out of any of the QBs taken in 2014. (Yeah, I know Bortles was also taken in 2014 but I don't think there are any other teams out there saying, "Damn, we should've taken Bortles.")

Winston and Mariota have both been inconsistent but shown flashes. It's not the worst thing ever that they didn't get one of these guys.

Goff, Wentz and Prescott have had a few bumps in the road but overall, each of them is starter material. Each of them has a Pro Bowl on their resume, Wentz has a first-team All-Pro on his resume and stood an excellent chance at winning league MVP if not for his injury. 

Watson set the league on fire before his injury. Andy Reid and the Chiefs must be seeing the goods from Mahomes if they were confident enough to trade away Alex Smith. Trubisky had a rough rookie year but has potential, plus he could use some actual weapons to throw to.

Can the Bills pass on a QB and use their picks to fill some important spots on the team? Sure. Was that their plan when they acquired an extra pick in each of the first three rounds? I doubt it. I know it has the potential to cost them a ton in draft capital but they really can't stand on the sidelines anymore. While this group of QBs may be over-hyped a little, a couple of them are going to pan out into quality starters. Team McBeane has a great opportunity to start their tenure together on a high note by finally pulling the trigger and doing whatever it takes to land the guy they think is their franchise QB. If they sit around and kick the can down the road another year, this front office is going to have a miserable season when the first question they're asked every single time they speak with the media will be, "Why didn't you take a quarterback?" 

I'd love for them to be able to sit at 12 and have their guy fall to them and retain all their picks and fill positions of need, just don't see that happening. It's now or never, really. They have to do number two or get off the loo... I'd use the customary language but this board censors it.

Friggin' Go Bills and can we just skip to Thursday?

• Like (+1) 1

As stated by others, the jets need to move up three spots - the Bills needed to move up 18 spots to get that.  No comparison.  Fact of it is that we all (most all) wanted playoffs in 17 even though we knew it was not even close to being our year.  We got what we wanted and now have the hangover from it.

Here, I think many here may be well advised to brush up on this ahead of thursday:

• Shock. ...
  • Denial. ...
  • Anger. ...
  • Bargaining. ...
  • Grieving. ...
  • Acceptance.
Edited by sleeby

1 hour ago, Bills Freak said:

Better package to to drop fewer slots. The idea we always go cheap went out w/ Ralph imo. The early Jets move is not common & I would guess Beane didn't see that coming

Cool maybe maybe not. Lets see if this FO can finalize a plan tgat has been a year in the making 

23 hours ago, mattstev said:

What if everything goes against us and we miss the top 4 qbs or don't want to trade up for the one that's left. If we were not going to take a qb with our first pick this draft, what should we do?

Is there anyone else you would trade up for if they were sliding to 8-10, or who would you want to see drafted at 12.

I personally would love if Nelson were slipping to move up a couple picks and grab him. I don't think that's likely but there is a decent chance either he or one of the elite lb's (Edmunds, Smith) will fall a bit.

Trading up for a QB might not be the best thing, either, but trading up for a player at another position seems outright foolish unless it was for a consensus #1 pick who happens to be an edge rusher like Bruce Smith.  If 4 or 5 QBs go in the top 11 (highly unlikely), the Bills should have a real chance to grab somebody like Smith or even Chubb or Nelson without moving up.

On 4/23/2018 at 8:56 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

Respectfully, I just don't understand this attitude.  In order to trade up there needs to be someone willing to trade back.  Beane has no control over that.  What if Beane and McDermott and the rest of the scouts believe that just two of the four QBs in this draft class will fit their system and are potential franchise QBs, but those QBs are off the board before they can find a partner to trade up with?

Are the Giants, Browns, Jets, Colts, and Broncos supposed to go against their team's best interest and trade out to Buffalo because they are nice guys and we REALLY need a QB??  

What would be a colossal failure on Beane's part would be to reach for someone they are not convinced is worthy of the draft capital required, just to draft a QB this year.  I have a news flash for everyone.......  There will be good QBs in next years draft too.  I promise. 

There is no argument from me that it would be best if we could draft a great QB prospect this year, but it will not be the end of the world if they can't.  Beane can't make the people in the draft ahead of them do what he wants them to do.  If we can't get our QB this year, use our boatload of hard earned draft picks wisely.  Fill in holes in our roster, trade back if you can and maybe pick up some draft ammo in next year's draft, but for the love of God, don't get pressured into drafting the wrong QB just so you can say you drafted a QB this year. 

That's the kind of desperation move that bad franchises make year in and year out with their rosters that keeps them perpetually bad franchises.

That is a very good viewpoint.   There is a cult of people on this board who think that courage and guts is all about trading 7 picks this year and 2 picks next year to move up to take the "franchise guy".   They really are cowards because they are afraid of missing the second coming of Kelly.   BPA rather than reaching up is the way to build a team.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Like (+1) 1

This fan base is just hungry for a great QB, myself included.  For years now when the Bills are down 10 points in the fourth quarter you just know that we are going to lose. Contrast that with watching the Pats and Brady when they are down 10,  you know they are going to pull it out somehow.  It's frustrating.

I just hope that the Bills front office doesn't draft a QB in the first round just to draft a QB.  If they can trade up and get their man that's fantastic, and I'll be happy no matter who it is.  If their guy(s) are gone though, I really hope they spend those draft picks on great players that will stock their young roster with talent and hopefully they can make a successful run at a QB next year.  We have given up a lot to amass this draft capital, I don't want to see them use it frivolously.  

On 4/23/2018 at 6:18 PM, MAJBobby said:

Hmmm really yet the NY Jets were able to get in a spot to get their QB. 

Hmmmm

It is a failure of a plan that was set in Motion with the trade down last draft

It’s a failure of a plan because of the trade down with KC because McDermott was enamored with Andy Reid.

Houston wanted our pick offering the same first this year but we chose the team that’s been a historical playoff team instead of Houston. Pick 4 sure would look nice right now.

These rookie managers are going to learn,likely too late, that you don’t make deals because someone helped you out in coaching.

Very,very stupid trade in hindsight, not to mention who we actually could have drafted.