Elway Open to a Deal for the #5 Pick; Broncos' Board Finalized Later Today

18 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I don’t think they would either but that’s why we don’t make the trade until the clock is going 

The risk is too high, we have to move to 5. If say Miami slipped in there somehow(I know some don't believe it possible) we could be royally screwed for years!

22 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

that was telegraphed.......   Just 1 too many OMGs IMO.   I saw it coming a mile away... got to hover those links

Edited by ddaryl
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

That does not mean hey stay still

No, but I think a team will put themselves in position at 5 beforehand. If CLE or the NYG do move, that's a good place to be dealing from. Not having a high pick has already burned the Bills with the Colts/ Jets deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

No, but I think a team will put themselves in position at 5 beforehand. If CLE or the NYG do move, that's a good place to be dealing from. Not having a high pick has already burned the Bills with the Colts/ Jets deal. 

And if you move to 5 and someone jumps you? 

1 hour ago, Captain Murica said:

In all seriousness would anyone here have an issue with the Bills pulling the trigger now and making the jump to 5 without knowing who will be there? 

I'll hang up and listen. 

I just don't think you can trade to 5 without knowing who is available. No way Beane has the same grade on the top four and with the Browns, Giants and Jets possibly taking a QB, IMO its too risky to get hung out with your 4th graded QB.

34 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

not having a QB also gets GMs and coaches fired. Then we have to bring in new coach and GM and they start the process of trading and releasing the old regimes guys and bringing in their own. So all that draft capital we spent on good players doesn't fit the new system, and then they get released/traded so it was wasted anyways.  But we wouldn't know anything about that. 

Sure and it remains an indisputable fact that all the “move up or die” klan ignore... outside of Eli Manning, not one active QB that has played and won a Super Bowl was drafted with a move up to or an existing pick any earlier than where the bills currently sit. 

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Sure and it remains an indisputable fact that all the “move up or die” klan ignore... outside of Eli Manning, not one active QB that has played and won a Super Bowl was drafted with a move up to or an existing pick any earlier than where the bills currently sit. 

Well if we are using past history to dictate future results, we should wait until round 6 and draft our QB there, The most prolific QB came in that round. 

Edit, Carson Wentz got his team there, and technically won a superbowl, so he also belongs on that list. Jared Goff appears to be coming into his own as well.

Edited by CountDorkula
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

of course he is.  Christ almighty- if someone wanted to trade me 12, 22, 53, 56, and next years 1st- I don't care if Aaron Rogers is in draft- give me the picks and watch my team destroy yours the next 5 years

Really? You think so?

This isn’t the greatest draft after the first 20 picks, I’d take the strongest players(QB) long before those second rounders.

I consider 22 a second rounder in this draft.

2 hours ago, Pre1236 said:

Anticipation is growing - I cleared my schedule of all high powered business meetings for the next week. I don't want to miss anything.

Lucky you. Dunkirk Don and I have some super high level meetings with top secret people who will no doubt leak info from the war room. We got the juice on all 32 teams so stay glued to my attention grabbing posts in the next few days.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

And if you move to 5 and someone jumps you? 

You would be sitting at 5. That's right after 4. Who could jump you from that strategic position? The Browns and Giants have 1,2 and 4. A move down to only 5 is far more enticing than anything else that can be offered. 

40 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I can't believe we took Mayfield. Don't know why he decided to sport his Jets jersey.

17 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Well if we are using past history to dictate future results, we should wait until round 6 and draft our QB there, The most prolific QB came in that round. 

Edit, Carson Wentz got his team there, and technically won a superbowl, so he also belongs on that list. Jared Goff appears to be coming into his own as well.

Carson Wentz didn’t start and win a Super Bowl. My language was very clear. 

My point on citing history is there there is very little precedent  that expensively moving up to select one guy is how you build a championship team. 

AND there are many examples of where not doing that has led to building a championship team.

Against: Ben, Flacco, Wilson, Brady, Brees, Foles

For: Eli

wentz can’t count- we have no clue if he wins that game or the others before it. Foles was flawless. 

You CAN count  Bortles, Winston, Goff, Cam, Ryan, Luck,  Alec smith, Sam Bradford, Turbinski, Mariota, Sanchez, Locker, Gabbert, Stafford, Russell, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Phillip Rivers... if you like-> No Rings 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

You would be sitting at 5. That's right after 4. Who could jump you from that strategic position? The Browns and Giants have 1,2 and 4. A move down to only 5 is far more enticing than anything else that can be offered. 

Always something. And if Rosen baker sam go 123 I want nothing to do with 5. Nobody’s making the deal up cause no way to know who’s there

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Carson Wentz didn’t start and win a Super Bowl. My language was very clear. 

My point on citing history is there there is very little precedent  that expensively moving up to select one guy is how you build a championship team. 

AND there are many examples of where not doing that has led to building a championship team.

Against: Ben, Flacco, Wilson, Brady, Brees, Foles

For: Eli

Of course far more teams have drafted their QB with a single pick than an expensive move up. The Bills have been waiting for 22 years for the good fortune that never came. It would be great if a QB would just fall into their lap outside the top ten a la Roethlisberger or Rodgers. They can either wait some more or go make their own luck. It doesn't seem they are interested in waiting any longer. We will see. 

2 hours ago, kdiggz said:

also, for those in the "we need to get higher to get OUR QB" camp, this just made the value of 2 and 4 cheaper.  if you tell the Giants that the Broncos are willing to do the trade for 12 and 22 straight up then it doesn't really make much sense to trade 12, 22, 53, 56, 65, next year's 1st to get only a few picks higher if you are happy with the talent that will be available at 5

True, in theory.  What we won't know, until draft night, is if the 3/4 QB is one the Bills value enough to trade up for at any spot in the top 10.  It could be that Beane only values, say,  Darnold and Allen for trade up into the top 5 or 10 purposes and doesn't want to burn any picks for the other two no matter how cheap.

i don't think Giants will let go of two.  I think they want Barkley or Darnold.  

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

The Broncos are in 100% win now mode. Could they use a LeSean McCoy? A Kelvin Benjamin? A Jerry Hughes? Yes, yes, and yes!  Package a pick or two and a player and get it done. 

Get what done?

to get who?

what if the top 4 QBs are taken?

then what?  

Trade a kings ransom for Lamar or Mason?

HOLD!

someone will fall. 

1 minute ago, horned dogs said:

We have to proceed as if picks 1-4 aren't available. That is the most likely scenario right now.

Allen, Barkley, Darnold, Chubb are likely gone by 4. At this point, Elway is deciding whether he wants to draft a guard at 5 or move down and get picks.

It tells me something if he’s concluded Keenum is his guy. 

4 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

We have to proceed as if picks 1-4 aren't available. That is the most likely scenario right now.

Allen, Barkley, Darnold, Chubb are likely gone by 4. At this point, Elway is deciding whether he wants to draft a guard at 5 or move down and get picks.

I was talking with a good friend today who is a draft freak, discussing how inaccurate these mocks are, year after year. 

We forget that these teams have wildly different draft boards, each with different priorities. 

Every mock has a QB rush early, some with up to 4 going in the top 5! That would be unprecedented, but it could happen. 

Someone is going to slide... 

1 minute ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I was talking with a good friend today who is a draft freak, discussing how inaccurate these mocks are, year after year. 

We forget that these teams have wildly different draft boards, each with different priorities. 

Every mock has a QB rush early, some with up to 4 going in the top 5! That would be unprecedented, but it could happen. 

Someone is going to slide... 

Yeah and I'd like to be at the new #1, Denver, and get my pick of who I want.

2 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Go get it, no excuses, go get it. Then if you want to jump to two, do it.

I would respectfully disagree that we should trade to 5 now.

What if the Giant's pick isn't for sale, what if they want Barkley or Chubb and won't trade out?  Even if the Giant's pick is for sale, I see no chance Gettleman trades out until draft night before he sees what he can get for it.  That pick will be worth more on draft night than it is today. 

What if the Bills only have one or two QBs in this draft that they feel strongly about and they are both gone by pick 3? 

I don't think Beane should trade to 5 now.  Beane needs to wait until draft night to see what happens.  No point in trading to 5 now when there is no guarantee you can trade higher or that the QB(s) you are targeting will even be there.  Now you've wasted draft capital and come away without your QB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

What if the Giant's pick isn't for sale, what if they want Barkley or Chubb and won't trade out?  Even if the Giant's pick is for sale, I see no chance Gettleman trades out until draft night before he sees what he can get for it.  That pick will be worth more on draft night than it is today. 

What if the Bills only have one or two QBs in this draft that they feel strongly about and they are both gone by pick 3? 

I don't think Beane should trade to 5 now.  Beane needs to wait until draft night to see what happens.  No point in trading to 5 now when there is no guarantee you can trade higher or that the QB(s) you are targeting will even be there.  Now you've wasted draft capital and come away without your QB.

I'm not so sure. The cost for pick #5 could go up if the Giants don't take a QB and don't trade. With likely two of the top QBs still on the board, there may be another team involved. It comes down to cost imo. If the Bills can move to 5 for a decent price, it may be prudent to get there. If the Giants stay put, Beane may not need to do much else. He could get to 4 easily if that were to come in play. What's the worst case scenario? You're still getting an elite non QB at 5 in all likelihood . There are worse things if everything goes off the rails. Worse would be sitting back at 12 far out of the mix at the top of the draft, waiting for tidbits to fall from the big dogs. 

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I'm not so sure. The cost for pick #5 could go up if the Giants don't take a QB and don't trade. With likely two of the top QBs still on the board, there may be another team involved. It comes down to cost imo. If the Bills can move to 5 for a decent price, it may be prudent to get there. If the Giants stay put, Beane may not need to do much else. He could get to 4 easily if that were to come in play. What's the worst case scenario? You're still getting an elite non QB at 5 in all likelihood . There are worse things if everything goes off the rails. Worse would be sitting back at 12 far out of the mix at the top of the draft, waiting for tidbits to fall from the big dogs. 

Fair points Boatdrinks...

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.  There is still a chance that the Bills QB(s) will be gone by 3.  I'd rather have picks 12 and 22 than pick 5.  It would probably cost us some of our 2nd and 3rd rounders to move up too.  If we can't get our elite QB I'd rather have all of those draft picks to fill the holes on this roster. 

24 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Then you still get one of the big four at pick number five.

The bills didn't put their hair in a ponytail to go home alone. They moved to up 12 for a reason, they have been heavily discussed in moving up.

If you get locked out at five there is, again as aforementioned you'll still get one of the big four.

I understand the ideology behind the fear of getting stuck at five, however, much like the Jets trading to three above us, you cant continuously allow teams to leapfrog you and shut you out.

Moreover, if the Giants do pass on a QB, as the other poster described above, the Denver 5th overall pricetag then skyrockets. The Giants also stand to reason that at five they can still get one of Chubb, or Barkley, or Nelson, or heck, maybe the QB that trickles down could be the guy they want and snatch him up. Either way two to five is not a bad move for the giants by any stretch.

You need to be ahead of the game here. Go get the fifth overall.

Edited by BillsFan17
Added Nelson to the players the Giants could take at five.

13 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

think of the top 5 picks like a commodity.

the more that are available, the cheaper they become. however, much like a commodity, the more scarce they become. the more expensive to obtain one will become.

if 5 goes to another team that is in the market for a QB, say the Phish  then 1, 2 and 4 just became more expensive than before 5 went up for sale.

imo, Beane has a tight window to maximize out value here. glad i am not a GM, he will be earning his keep.

23 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The worst that can happen if you move to 5 now is that all four QBs go in the top four and you get your choice of Barkley or Chubb at 5.  Both are elite.  Not an awful worst case scenario.

1 minute ago, gtu100 said:

The worst that can happen if you move to 5 now is that all four QBs go in the top four and you get your choice of Barkley or Chubb at 5.  Both are elite.  Not an awful worst case scenario.

Depends on the cost to get 5, but I largely agree.  As well, if you get to 5 maybe 2 becomes available contingent on who the Browns take.  

13 minutes ago, gtu100 said:

I think burning all that draft capital for Barkley would be a complete disaster.

• Like (+1) 2

Anyone else listen to Gettleman and think the Giants are not in good hands? No wonder Panther fans were annoyed Beane got away. 

I'd die laughing if the Giants stayed at 2 for a RB and either turned down draft capital to fill their holes or chose not to take a QB. 

Edited by Captain Murica
  • Like (+1) 2