Any Random dates that stay in your head?

Another Fan

You know besides Holidays, anniversaries, and birthdays.

August 29th does, The 2nd Terminator growing up was one of my fave movies and that was the end date of the world.  Plus where I used to work it was a managers birthday.

Actually it kinda brings me back happy memories 

Edited by Another Fan

December 8, 1980.  The day John Lennon was assassinated.  Actually ... the 9th, which is when I found out.  I was a month away from turning 10-years-old and the news of his death (gently delivered by my mom) devastated me.

• Sad 1

It was the third of June
On that younger day
Well I became a man
At the hands of a girl
Almost twice my age

sing it Mr. Diamond....

and again with it....

It was the third of June, another sleepy, dusty Delta day
I was out choppin' cotton, and my brother was balin' hay
And at dinner time we stopped and walked back to the house to eat
And mama hollered out the back door, y'all, remember to wipe your feet
And then she said, I got some news this mornin' from Choctaw Ridge
Today, Billy Joe MacAllister jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge

Was the dark of the moon on the sixth of June
In a Kenworth pullin' logs
Cab-over Pete with a reefer on
And a Jimmy haulin' hogs

I avoided radon dates but sometimes it was hard to tell.  The stuff is odorless and whether the chick was rich, poor or anywhere in between, radon was possible wherever she grew up.  

By by the second or third date I usually brought a testing kit.  Weird that this came up because I thought I was the only one afraid of this.  I'm not a germaphobe but radon?  I avoid that.

June 25th, 2009.  I was at the park with friends for a few hours and had to leave to go to physical therapy.  Get to the PT's office and overhear the secretary listening to the breaking news that Michael Jackson had died on the computer.  I had been so amped to go see him on his upcoming tour and the disappointment must have been palpable because my PT barely talked to me that session.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

December 8, 1980.  The day John Lennon was assassinated.  Actually ... the 9th, which is when I found out.  I was a month away from turning 10-years-old and the news of his death (gently delivered by my mom) devastated me.

I was 17. I was out with some friends that night. When I came home, I turned on 97 Rock and they were playing a steady stream of Beatles music. I didn't know why at first.

10 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

September 7, 1939.  Battle of Radom, where a Polish operational group was wiped out by the Germans.

Only Radom date I know.

That was two years and two months before the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

• Haha (+1) 1

I suppose that is better than Elvis, he died on the toilet:o

2 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

June 25th, 2009.  I was at the park with friends for a few hours and had to leave to go to physical therapy.  Get to the PT's office and overhear the secretary listening to the breaking news that Michael Jackson had died on the computer.  I had been so amped to go see him on his upcoming tour and the disappointment must have been palpable because my PT barely talked to me that session.

June 1, 2000.  My last (partial) year living in Buffalo.

I was living in a flat in the city along the Elmwood strip.  It got so cold at night I had to break down, after initial resistance, and turn on the furnace.

I will always remember that date, b/c I was saying over and over to my girlfriend at the time "My God.  It's June!  And I'm turning on the furnace!  When is it going to warm up!?"

January 28, 1986.  The day of the space shuttle Challenger exploding.  I was walking into a class at college when I heard about it.  The only time a class was shortened in my college career.  Spent ten minutes getting notes and went back to my student residence to watch the news coverage.  The semester was pretty new yet so not a lot of big work that needed to be done so I just soaked it all in.

5 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

January 28, 1986.  The day of the space shuttle Challenger exploding.  I was walking into a class at college when I heard about it.  The only time a class was shortened in my college career.  Spent ten minutes getting notes and went back to my student residence to watch the news coverage.  The semester was pretty new yet so not a lot of big work that needed to be done so I just soaked it all in.

I remember events, but not dates. I remember feeling sad when this happened, in contrast to how good I felt when the first space shuttle flight of Columbia was a success.

i also remember other events... assassinations of JFK, MLK, RFK.  Moon landing.  Evacuation from Vietnam Nam,... etc., other major events that I instantly knew were significant. 

7 hours ago, DC Tom said:

September 7, 1939.  Battle of Radom, where a Polish operational group was wiped out by the Germans.

Only Radom date I know.

Were you there? 

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

On 7/7/77 I bought a pipe for smoking that cost $13.13.

True story.

If it was a pipe for plumbing, I doubt you’d remember that, though that might seem counter-intuitive. 

1 hour ago, CowgirlsFan said:

November 22,1963.

President John F Kennedy assassinated in Dallas,Texas.

I lived in Fort Worth,Texas at that time.

I was 10 years old.

It was the only time my Mother ever let my sister and I skip school.

To go to the parade? 

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

No date spring of 2003?  but I was living in Allen TX when the space shuttle blew up and I could see the smoke trail west to east.  

February We heard a loud boom and ran out the front door to see this. 

hqdefault.jpg

I remember this as an event, not a date.  In fairness, this just didn't get the coverage or have the sense of national tragedy as the Challenger explosion, for whatever reason.

Maybe b/c we had already gone through one of these by the time Columbia happened.

The image I have from this event is the astronaut helmet found in some farmer's field.

Here...thought I could find it and I did.

150422039-5b8ccd2f-3ea2-4d1e-98a1-439837

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

December 7, 1941.  A date which will live in infamy.

That (largely because of the speach - almost impossible to forget) and 9/11. We had a trip to NYC planned a couple month later, but didn’t know what to do. It was crazy! Nobody knew what to think. We went and I’m so glad we did....

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

That (largely because of the speach - almost impossible to forget) and 9/11. We had a trip to NYC planned a couple month later, but didn’t know what to do. It was crazy! Nobody knew what to think. We went and I’m so glad we did....

I had a trip to Oregon planned for the following weekend and couldn't go when the flights were grounded!  I still haven't been to Oregon.

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

No date spring of 2003?  but I was living in Allen TX when the space shuttle blew up and I could see the smoke trail west to east.  

February We heard a loud boom and ran out the front door to see this. 

hqdefault.jpg

I had no clue you'd spent time in Texas.

I lived in Arlington then.

I heard the sonic boom from the shower.

While dressing,I heard they'd lost communication.

Terribly sad.?

I hated having to work that day.

I now live in Granbury,Texas.

It was February 1st.

Edited by CowgirlsFan
Spelling

4 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I remember events, but not dates. I remember feeling sad when this happened, in contrast to how good I felt when the first space shuttle flight of Columbia was a success.

i also remember other events... assassinations of JFK, MLK, RFK.  Moon landing.  Evacuation from Vietnam Nam,... etc., other major events that I instantly knew were significant. 

Not even 9/11?  

For me it was definitely November 5, 1955.

17 hours ago, Gugny said:

That whole weekend I remember every year.  Dec. 4th was a Thursday.  I was a frosh at Bonas and was able to get a ride up to meet my friends for my first Springsteen concert - out of 27 so far - at the Aud............December 7th was one of the most fun Bills game ever - we stayed after the Bills beat the NFC Champion Rams and were rewarded with the Bills and Jills coming out and dancing forever to Talking Proud..............And, then got back to Bonas, and kept getting updates at the library about who was winning MNF between the Pats-Dolphins (we needed the Pats to lose) - and when I heard the Dolphins scored, I decided to go back to the dorm.  I go into the only room with a TV, where all my friends were watching the game, and they said Did you hear what happened?  I said Yeah, the Dolphins scored!  They said No, John Lennon got killed! 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I remember this as an event, not a date.  In fairness, this just didn't get the coverage or have the sense of national tragedy as the Challenger explosion, for whatever reason.

Maybe b/c we had already gone through one of these by the time Columbia happened.

The image I have from this event is the astronaut helmet found in some farmer's field.

Here...thought I could find it and I did.

150422039-5b8ccd2f-3ea2-4d1e-98a1-439837

Date - February 1, 2003.  Saturday morning around 9 AM.      It got a lot of coverage in Texas.    @CowgirlsFan  about the amount of coverage there was. 

-  Do Not Pick Up Any Debris You Find.  Call the local authorities.  

See the source image

7 hours ago, CowgirlsFan said:

I had no clue you'd spent time in Texas.

I lived in Arlington then.

I heard the sonic boom from the shower.

While dressing,I heard they'd lost communication.

Terribly sad.?

I hated having to work that day.

I now live in Granbury,Texas.

It was February 1st.

It was short lived.   Nortel relocated an office from Boca Raton to Richardson in the summer of 2002.   I sold my house in Florida and bought a house in Allen.  By Oct 2002  I was laid off.  Thanks to ENRON scandal  and the Telecom Crash jobs were hard to find and I had no way to pay the mortgage.  I returned to Florida in 2003.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

9-11.

I  left New York on a 767 the day prior, and was flying back from San Francisco when it happened. We had taken off at 6AM Pacific time.

Started getting frantic messages from the company on the cockpit printer.

I turned around and diverted back to San Francisco.

I had flown AA 77, Dulles to LA, almost continuously for the two years prior and took a check captain job a few months earlier.

I knew I would know the crew that hit the Pentagon, and I had worked with all of them.

Just an atrocious day.

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, bbb said:

That whole weekend I remember every year.  Dec. 4th was a Thursday.  I was a frosh at Bonas and was able to get a ride up to meet my friends for my first Springsteen concert - out of 27 so far - at the Aud............December 7th was one of the most fun Bills game ever - we stayed after the Bills beat the NFC Champion Rams and were rewarded with the Bills and Jills coming out and dancing forever to Talking Proud..............And, then got back to Bonas, and kept getting updates at the library about who was winning MNF between the Pats-Dolphins (we needed the Pats to lose) - and when I heard the Dolphins scored, I decided to go back to the dorm.  I go into the only room with a TV, where all my friends were watching the game, and they said Did you hear what happened?  I said Yeah, the Dolphins scored!  They said No, John Lennon got killed! 

I miss what could have been John's role in our world as he turned 78 this year....

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, bbb said:

To go to the parade? 

No... we watched on TV in our bedroom ...it was selfish reasons of hers....she was painting the bathroom and because of the occasion she didn't want to stop and go pick us up from school.

• Like (+1) 1

Looked at the calendar today and it jarred some of my earliest memories.  April 19, 1995, truck bomb explodes outside the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City.

• Like (+1) 2