Hanging on to 2019 1st round pick

If the Bills move up for a QB this draft, I really hope they don’t give up next years first round pick in the trade up. 

Looking at our OL, WR and QB positions, 2018 could be a big step back, and end up trading away a pick that may be between 10-15.  

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 4

I would rather the Bills give up more 2018 picks than the 2019 1st. I think giving up a 1st is always super dangerous as if your season falls apart you can really get set back. I think the Bills have enough draft capital to make a big move up for a QB without including the 2019 1st. Include a 2nd in 2019 if you have to but that 1st is a hard asset to give up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

If the Bills move up for a QB this draft, I really hope they don’t give up next years first round pick in the trade up. 

Looking at our OL, WR and QB positions, 2018 could be a big step back, and end up trading away a pick that may be between 1-5.  

MLB CB EDGE

Edited by Pete

23 minutes ago, billspro said:

I’m fine with trading it but I would want to keep 22 this year if we do. Nexts years class isn’t looking great right now anyway.

Next years class is loaded (just not at QB). Use the picks this year to get your QB. Preserve your picks next year to get an elite defensive line prospect. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

24 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I would rather the Bills give up more 2018 picks than the 2019 1st. I think giving up a 1st is always super dangerous as if your season falls apart you can really get set back. I think the Bills have enough draft capital to make a big move up for a QB without including the 2019 1st. Include a 2nd in 2019 if you have to but that 1st is a hard asset to give up. 

Agreed.......look at the eagles and rams!  It set them waaaay back.  Oh wait....

we haven’t had a good qb in over 20 years.  Don’t you think it’s time we get one?

Edited by NewEra
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.......look at the eagles and rams!  It set them waaaay back.  Oh wait....

we haven’t had a good qb in over 20 years.  Don’t you think it’s time we get one?

I think the 2014 Bills had a SB team, minus qb.  Until you get one, you are just spinning your wheels. NE isn’t a great team but they have a great qb.   Franchise qbs completely change your entire team and you should do whatever you can to get one.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Next years class is loaded (just not at QB). Use he picks this year to get your QB. Preserve your picks next year to get an elite defensive line prospect. 

You are highlighting the conundrum. Is it worth also including in the package of this year's pick next year's first round pick to get the qb that you covet? I would say yes. However, I understand the reason why others would take a different view. There is certainly merit to it. The qb deficit has plagued this franchise for nearly a quarter century. The Bills are now in a position to make a maneuver to resolve an issue that has kept this franchise stuck in mediocrity for so very long. Even if we have to give up next year's first round pick the Bills will have a large cap avaliability to compensate for the loss of that high pick. It's time to get this issue addressed. 

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think the 2014 Bills had a SB team, minus qb.  Until you get one, you are just spinning your wheels. NE isn’t a great team but they have a great qb.   Franchise qbs completely change your entire team and you should do whatever you can to get one.

Agreed.  That team had everything but a QB.  Kyle ORton. Hahahaha.  Wish we would’ve rolled with Ej in hindsight.  We may have been able to land Winston or Mariota

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

My point wasn't that the team shouldn't trade up for a QB, but rather that if the team is going to trade up I would rather they use more picks from 2018 to do so. 

Edited by billsfan89

Would both of Buffalo's firsts and seconds be enough to do it? I desperately want them to draft one of the top QBs, but it would be good to limit the damage to this draft. If its needed to dig into the 19 draft then i'd rather do that than miss out on one of these guys.

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are highlighting the conundrum. Is it worth also including in the package of this year's pick next year's first round pick to get the qb that you covet? I would say yes. However, I understand the reason why others would take a different view. There is certainly merit to it. The qb deficit has plagued this franchise for nearly a quarter century. The Bills are now in a position to make a maneuver to resolve an issue that has kept this franchise stuck in mediocrity for so very long. Even if we have to give up next year's first round pick the Bills will have a large cap avaliability to compensate for the loss of that high pick. It's time to get this issue addressed. 

The Bills can get the QB this year without including next years 1st. They have the assets to do it. No one can put together a package that can beat 12, 22, 53, 65, etc... You have plenty of ammo to go up. The value charts say as much. Every team will ask for your 2019 1st because it’s your best asset and everyone knows it. Don’t get worked over. Just keep adding picks this year, but don’t act desperate. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

My point wasn't that the team shouldn't trade up for a QB, but rather that if the team is going to trade up I would rather they use more picks from 2018 to do so. 

Just as the rams and eagles did.....

but i get your point.  I too would prefer not to trade next year’s picks, but if that’s what it takes, do it

I would rather give up next year’s first along with 12 and 22 rather than picks in this draft. I just like the idea of being able to get some good players this year, we would still have 8 picks. I’m ok with not having the 1st next year because it was used on a QB, and think they can use FA with the extra cap space to bring over a 1st rd level talent. I also think that’s what it’s going to take to move up, so I’m at peace with it.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Looking at our OL, WR and QB positions, 2018 could be a big step back, and end up trading away a pick that may be between 10-15.  

I don’t know to expect from this team anymore , honestly last year I didn’t believe will win more then 5 games , this year I  have no clue what our roaster will look like week one , the change at the QB position I believe is an upgrade  unless the rookie wins the job , I know many here have given up on Peterman but I believe the coaches like and he will get a shot, 

36 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would rather give up next year’s first along with 12 and 22 rather than picks in this draft. I just like the idea of being able to get some good players this year, we would still have 8 picks. I’m ok with not having the 1st next year because it was used on a QB, and think they can use FA with the extra cap space to bring over a 1st rd level talent. I also think that’s what it’s going to take to move up, so I’m at peace with it.

So you are ok with sending a team three first round picks to move up 8 spots in the draft? 

Wow , just wow.

If they roll with this oline it will be a long year regardless of who plays qb, and that 2019 first round pick will be a good one. We don't know who they are targeting but I see mock drafts where they trade up with Denver at 5 and take Josh Allen and Denver gets Mayfield at 12 and our 22 plus another pick, doing that would be asinine imo.  A lot of factors involved and a lot depends on who they want and how it plays out draft day, which can't get here soon enough for me. I hope whatever they do, they get the right guy and can hang on to next years #1.

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills can get the QB this year without including next years 1st. They have the assets to do it. No one can put together a package that can beat 12, 22, 53, 65, etc... You have plenty of ammo to go up. The value charts say as much. Every team will ask for your 2019 1st because it’s your best asset and everyone knows it. Don’t get worked over. Just keep adding picks this year, but don’t act desperate. 

I have the feeling that we do not have the ammo to get the QB we want.  Dropping to 12 means not drafting Chubb, Nelson, or Barkley.  In addition, our 22nd pick has very little value.  I respect the fact that the Bills went all in to get the QB of the future this year.  So many veterans were traded.  It is just unfortunate that we our punished by last year's success.   It makes me sick that teams like the Giants are bad when it counts.  They got Eli the last time they were awful and will get his replacement this year.  From 1986-present we have had zero top 2 picks.  

Whatever it takes to move up this draft after not taking a QB at 10 in 2017. 

If no team will trade down it's on to plan B.  

It might take 2 more trade ups in this draft to get a top QB , expensive but worth the gamble.

I understand the concern with giving up next year's 1st, and I'd rather not do it as well.

I will say, however, that if it comes down to getting "our guy" at QB or having to settle for someone we like less (and, for the record, I think it will if the intent is to move up to 2), I'll pay the butcher's bill.

8 hours ago, Bag of Milk said:

So you are ok with sending a team three first round picks to move up 8 spots in the draft? 

Wow , just wow.

Is it better to sit back and once again approach the single most important position in all of organized sports with the mindset of "we'll take whoever everyone else doesn't want"?

10 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Disagree. The 2030 qb class is the one to wait for. 

But we will have holes to fill. Better to wait til '31. It's important to have our left guard in place to build around.

Edited by Pre1236

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I understand the concern with giving up next year's 1st, and I'd rather not do it as well.

I will say, however, that if it comes down to getting "our guy" at QB or having to settle for someone we like less (and, for the record, I think it will if the intent is to move up to 2), I'll pay the butcher's bill.

Is it better to sit back and once again approach the single most important position in all of organized sports with the mindset of "we'll take whoever everyone else doesn't want"?

I am with thebandit.  Not for the first time.  

My preference is do it without but if the Browns take Same Darnold and Dave Gettleman is watching the clock tick down and holding the phone to his ear saying.... "I'm gonna need that 2019 #1 Brandon....." then I do it, I put the phone down take a big breath in and tell my guy in Dallas to turn in the card with the name Joshua Rosen on it.  

Where I probably differ from bandit is that doing that for Josh Allen would make me more than a little queasy.  

EDIT: And if the Bills go into the top 5 it is for one of the Joshes.  I am all but sure of it.  

Edited by GunnerBill

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I’d rather use 5 of the top 96 picks or even next year’s 2nd (which should be in the 30’s). You can put together a monster package that no one can touch and still preserve that 2019 1st. 12, 22, 53, 65, 2019 2nd and 4th. That’s an example of a monster ransom. It would be one of the biggest prices ever paid (if not THE biggest). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I am with thebandit.  Not for the first time.  

My preference is do it without but if the Browns take Same Darnold and Dave Gettleman is watching the clock tick down and holding the phone to his ear saying.... "I'm gonna need that 2019 #1 Brandon....." then I do it, I put the phone down take a big breath in and tell my guy in Dallas to turn in the card with the name Joshua Rosen on it.  

Where I probably differ from bandit is that doing that for Josh Allen would make me more than a little queasy.  

EDIT: And if the Bills go into the top 5 it is for one of the Joshes.  I am all but sure of it.  

Mostly agree--I mean, remember that Allen is my QB4.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d rather use 5 of the top 96 picks or even next year’s 2nd (which should be in the 30’s). You can put together a monster package that no one can touch and still preserve that 2019 1st. 12, 22, 53, 65, 2019 2nd and 4th. That’s an example of a monster ransom. It would be one of the biggest prices ever paid (if not THE biggest). 

I'm definitely on board.

I’m all for shipping away next years 1st for this Draft and trying to keep our 2-2nds & 2-3rds. We’ll have over $81M in Cap cash next season. More than enough to buy great FA OL. 

Too much was sacrificed for these picks to lump & dump on a ‘prospect’.

12 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Mostly agree--I mean, remember that Allen is my QB4.

I'm definitely on board.

That would be an insane price but I’m cool with it. You’d get your QB and can still add a couple of pieces this year. Next year will be primarily through FA but you can still get a star DL. That’s the quickest way to be good IMO. Get your QB and build an elite defense. The secondary is close, if you add something like Darnold/Rosen, Ragnow, Leonard, Pettis and Nick Bosa over the next 2 drafts I’m feeling pretty good. 

My my point being, I’ll trade 4 quarters (2nds and 3rds) for a dollar all day. It when I start trading a dollar and quarters for a dollar that I get concerned. IMO Darnold/Rosen & Bosa are both dollars and at the toughest, and 2nd toughest, positions to fill. Get your QB now but the 2019 pick is the absolute last asset that you include.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That would be an insane price but I’m cool with it. You’d get your QB and can still add a couple of pieces this year. Next year will be primarily through FA but you can still get a star DL. That’s the quickest way to be good IMO. Get your QB and build an elite defense. The secondary is close, if you add something like Darnold/Rosen, Ragnow, Leonard, Pettis and Nick Bosa over the next 2 drafts I’m feeling pretty good. 

Absolutely.

There's serious quality in the 2019 UFA market too.  I mean, there's 13 starting OTs that are in the final year of their contract right now, along with 13 guards and 9 centers (I didn't count Bills' players).  If you look at the other major area of need that will mandate a FA signing--WR--you know Beckham is out there, but you also see guys like Cooks, Funchess, Diggs, Josh Gordon, Martavis Bryant, and some vets that can still play.

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I have a different perspective on a trade scenario. We are the team making the overture for a deal. If the Giants are willing to trade their pick for our two first picks and next year's first without asking for any other of this year's picks I would be willing (enthusiastic) to make the deal. The issue for the Giants isn't who is offering the most because they have the prerogative to stand pat and get an elite player. My one caveat is that I would make the deal with the Giants only if the qb/s targeted is not likely to be available at our pick or with a lesser move up deal. 

This is the year to secure our targeted qb. A better situation is to have multiple targets that would allow us more flexibility (less cost) when dealing. My only uncompromising condition is that we have to come away with a bone fide prospect while we are in a position to do so.