Richie Incognito Retires Via Twitter - Now Confirmed

Virgil

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

If it is health related like he says and his kidneys/liver are shutting down it makes me think of prescription pain pills. Guys in the NFL have eaten those things like candy for years and the side effects are well documented. 

Yeah he's probably popping them like tic-tacs

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Unhappy to be making less money, so he prefers no money?

"Liver and kidneys are shutting down"??

I think RI has bottled up the crazy inside for too long the past few years and now it is coming out again. 

Gotta wonder about that $1M signing bonus in context of this medical claim.  Money already paid to players is very difficult for teams to recoup, but it does happen in some circumstances.  This would seem to be one of those - a bad faith negotiation where a player takes a signing bonus check and then retires.  Claiming it was done in good faith, but he had to stop playing due to health issues might be RI trying to keep some or all of it. Not saying this is what is definitely happening, just something to keep an eye out for. 

We honestly don't know what is going on with him, but if he is making a decision with his health as his best interest, who can hate on that? We can't be mad at him saying he screwed the Bills and stuff. Maybe he took the pay cut with the idea that he would play one more year and after meeting with doctors decided it wasn't worth it. We can't assume that there is hate, intent, and Russian Roulette type stuff going on. 

I am never going to hate on a guy for deciding to retire for his own health. 

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Gotta wonder about that $1M signing bonus in context of this medical claim.  Money already paid to players is very difficult for teams to recoup, but it does happen in some circumstances.  This would seem to be one of those - a bad faith negotiation where a player takes a signing bonus check and then retires.  Claiming it was done in good faith, but he had to stop playing due to health issues might be RI trying to keep some or all of it. Not saying this is what is definitely happening, just something to keep an eye out for. 

There's no chance that he is suddenly in liver and kidney failure. 

45 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

The best guy on this website thinks that Sam Darnold is a mid-1st round pick; that there are numerous, good QBs in this draft. Tell you what, you get back to me when people think your assessment of QBs is better than Gunnar's. 

Did I say don't draft a QB? Nope. I said it changes your choices. The circumstances changed and you change your valuation of options after the fact. The thought that you wouldn't is absurd to me. Absolutely absurd and as much as I'd like to put it differently, I can't.

Wth are you even on about? Wow with your response. You’ve just rambled on about nothing I even said in my post. But since you brought it up why don’t you tell me if Sam Darnold is available at 12? What about Josh Rosen or Baker Mayfield? 

As as I said in a previous responses the Bills were prepared to move on from Richie, why the heck else would they ask him to take a pay cut? This doesn’t and shouldn’t change their draft plans.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

There's no chance that he is suddenly in liver and kidney failure. 

I agree.  Might be a negotiation tactic though. If he’s going to cause a stink and fight giving it back, then the Bills might give him a portion of it to go away and avoid the bad PR. 

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Because of a guard???  The draft isn’t only about next year. 

And the Bills were prepared to move on from Richie!!! They wouldn’t have asked him to take a pay cut if they weren’t prepared to play the season without our. What if he said no, and they cut him because he wouldn’t?

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Definitely part of it and it’s why linemen lose a ton of weight after they retire.  But he is/ was a huge party guy and given some of his mood swings, it won’t be shocking at all to think he did some other things.

but I really do hope it’s nothing serious.

I agree. The organ issues immediately make me think high blood pressure. Very possible at 6'3" 340, eating a ton of calories and lifting very heavy weights. Even at a young 35. It doesnt matter whether its muscle or fat...I'm sure excessive drinking is a factor for him as well.

My BP is borderline at 33 and I'm 6'4" 275... I can't imagine the rigors of playing Guard in the NFL with an added 60 or 70 lbs.

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

What a bunch of bunk on Richie's part. He is screwing the bills out of $1 million and spinning it like he took a pay cut.  Firing his agent was a joke since he was probably planning to retire all along. Maybe he has some liver and kidney disease but that could be a load of crap as well.  I'm not buying his story.

Im sorry if this has already been asked in this thread, I dont have time to read it all, but do we get that cap space back? Im confused about Wood and now Incognitos retirements and how they affect our cap. Are there any decent OL out there in FA to pursue for insurance.

This is too bad but I kind of expected Richie would not be on the field for the Bills this coming season.  This adds about $4 million in cap space -- giving the Bills some breathing room.  I would up the offer to Dansby and get him in the fold, draft 2 interior Lineman and then also watch the vet waiver wire after the draft.  Slim pickings right now for Interior OL.

1 hour ago, Tyrod's friend said:

LMAO.

Yeah. He's the only guy that played at a truly high level on your line. When he goes, you now have a line made up of three players significantly below league average play. The other two include Groy and really, a Guard playing LT. 

It's about context; there's not nonsense about having potentially four guys that are terrible. And then you'd still like to move up in the draft, now looking to replace a center (presuming you don't want Bodine starting) and a guard, with very possibly no 1st round picks because you surrendered them in order to draft ... a rookie QB.

Yeah. I'm overreacting. 

Post Script; if Incognito's health is really that bad, well, what are you going to do. He's a warrior and hardly a jerkoff.

We're not passing on a QB because our 35 year old guard, who was drafted in the 3rd round, is retiring.

Yes.  You are overreacting.

9 minutes ago, turftoe said:

What a bunch of bunk on Richie's part. He is screwing the bills out of $1 million and spinning it like he took a pay cut.  Firing his agent was a joke since he was probably planning to retire all along. Maybe he has some liver and kidney disease but that could be a load of crap as well.  I'm not buying his story.

Perhaps asking an already underpaid elite player to take a paycut wasn't a smart choice?

I thought his play slipped noticeably last year-- and he is 34. Also, not happy with the pay cut. Groy can play guard, and the Bills signed a center to replace Wood. Bills need to add depth  (or another starter) on the line. This can be done fairly deep in the draft.

6 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

But he was very good,his age means squat.How old are Brady and Brees?

They are QBs.  Elite, all time great QBs.  Their position matters more.

Richie is retiring.  Good for him.  The sky is not falling.

Edited by Chicken Boo

22 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I agree.  Might be a negotiation tactic though. If he’s going to cause a stink and fight giving it back, then the Bills might give him a portion of it to go away and avoid the bad PR. 

No way they wouldn't fight to get every penny from this now agent-less slow adult.

1 minute ago, hemma said:

He's been our best lineman and was a team guy all the way.

Not sure I understand why so many people are giving him ****.

Thanks Rich and good luck.

Probably because people dont just forget what some people have been like and done in the past because he was good for a few years on your favorite team.

13 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...we'll find somebody and Castillo will develop him....stay tuned.........

The one thing that Castillo is known for is developing young players. There were a bunch of reports in Baltimore that the linemen were not happy with what he had them doing. That he was too regimented and things like that. I believe that he is not well liked by veteran players who are set in their ways. Across the board his strength seems to be molding and developing young lineman...case in point Dion Dawkins. It is possible guys regressed last year because they did not buy in. Vlad was one of his guys and that is why he played imo. 

Here is what Bryant McKinnie said about Juan a few years ago: 

"Juan likes to develop young players, because that's what he did in Philly," McKinnie said. "He is a good coach and he does help you with your technique, but he wants it done a certain way. My thing is everybody doesn't have the exact same talent or learn things the same way. I don't feel like you can coach everybody exactly the same, not everyone is going to react the same. Five individuals can't do the same thing instead of trying to make everybody a robot. You need to learn about your players and know their strengths and weaknesses and coach them that way. Juan is highly rated, but it takes time to adjust to what he's looking for."

Guys like Kelechi Osemele (2nd round), Ricky Wagner (5th round), James Hurst (UDFA and Bodine college teammate) and Ryan Jensen (6th round)...all guys who developed under Castillo and now have big contracts. You have guys he developed from scratch in Philly like Jermaine Mayberry, Hank Fraley, Tra Thomas, Todd Herremans, Jason Kelce and some (at the time) younger veterans who he took to the next level like Jon Runyan, Jason Peters, Evan Mathis, even Marshal Yanda. 

My point is that maybe guys like Glenn, Richie, Wood didn't love playing for Castillo. I am optimistic that he can mold and develop young talent that has been otherwise overlooked. Guys like Groy, Bodine, people they draft. I really don't like that our line regressed under Castillo, but I do think we are in a position now to get guys that fit and we can really see him do what he is actaully good at. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, mattynh said:

The signing bonus thing is interesting....I would have been quite surprised if they were going to release him.   But if he knew he was going to retire he took what he could get in a bonus.

I hope the bills sue him for the $1 M. He probably waited to make sure the money was in his account before he retired.  The whole thing stinks. There will not be a retirement press conference for this jerk.

This whole situation is a bit off.  Ever since he agreed to the pay cut and then, shortly thereafter, firing his agent, something just hasn't seemed right.

This is just a theory, but is there any possible way that Richie, when agreeing to take the pay cut, thought he was simply restructuring his contract for this year and was thinking he was just helping the Bills with some cap issues this year, but still going to make the same money throughout the restructured contract (maybe an extra year).  Was there some sort of miscommunication between him and his management about this whole thing and that is why he is pissed at the contract, and thus firing his agent?

I know it seems absurd that this could even be a possibility that he couldn't understand his own contract, but why would he be happy to stay with a pay cut and then fire his agent and then complain about the contract.  

Very strange.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

They are QBs.  Elite, all time great QBs.  Their position matters more.

Richie is retiring.  Good for him.  The sky is not falling.

Now you're getting silly. You brought up Richie's age...he was out best lineman last year..period.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Guys like Kelechi Osemele (2nd round), Ricky Wagner (5th round), James Hurst (UDFA and Bodine college teammate) and Ryan Jensen (6th round)...all guys who developed under Castillo and now have big contracts. You have guys he developed from scratch in Philly like Jermaine Mayberry, Hank Fraley, Tra Thomas, Todd Herremans, Jason Kelce and some (at the time) younger veterans who he took to the next level like Jon Runyan, Jason Peters, Evan Mathis, even Marshal Yanda. 

Jason Peters was a Pro-bowl player before the trade to Philly.

1 minute ago, turftoe said:

I hope the bills sue him for the $1 M. He probably waited to make sure the money was in his account before he retired.  The whole thing stinks. There will not be a retirement press conference for this jerk.

I just think the whole timing of the thing is bad on richie's part

If he has legit medical concerns.....so be it I hope that the cog has a long and productive life after football

but MANY here seem to forget....we gave him a second chance when a lot of teams would not......this is not how you repay a organization for doing that IF this is simply being upset at the deal he got.