Rumor: Trade up discussion with Giants

My 2 cents.  

1. Cleveland will take a QB.  

2.  NY will  take a QB.  They will do their due dilligence and field calls, but really they will stay where they are.  The reality is, the 2019 Draft Class is going to be one of those years where ZERO QB's are drafted in round 1.  It's that bad.  The QB's coming out next year SUCK.  The crop of potential QB free agents next year...SUCKS...compared to the bounty available this crazy offseason.  Eli SUCKS....at this point.  He wants to retire a Giant.  I can see him accepting his mortality a bit better if he gets to finish as the mentor to his chosen successor (and not benched for Geno Smith)  The Giants have considered all this.  The most value they can muster from the 2nd overall pick....is to use it themselves.  ROSEN.  

3.  The Jets will take a QB.  Consider the situation in New York...they have a GM and a HC who are on short leashes.  They DO NOT HAVE TIME to wait for Darnold or even worse, Josh Allen to develop.   They moved up here to insure themselves Baker Mayfield.  He will be ready to go day 1.  He has had a billion college reps, he got better each year, he has a high completion pct.  He is a big name.  He has a Heisman.  He is a charachter.  He has JETS written all over him.  ...and again...can't stress enough, he is ready to go day 1.  The staff needs results sooner rather than later.

4.  Cleveland will take someone here not named Saquan Barkley.  .....That front office just signed Carlos Hyde to good money, he is a Buckeye, and they have Duke Johnson, who has been one of their better players as the 3rd down guy on the roster.  The same front office has a long history of not valuing RB high in the draft...and this one is full of RB....they can get a good one later, if they even think they need another one.

5.  Denver.  No reason to be scared of these guys taking a QB....and not just becasue they signed Keenum....but consider they did sign him..to starter money.  The coaching staff has been told publicly they have THIS YEAR to produce results.  The Broncos still have a first round QB on the roster that Elway seems to have wiffed on, but he was supposed to be a 2-3 year project coming out.  They re-upped their two WR.  They are in win now mode with a coaching staff in win now mode...they simply aren't set up to draft their next QB...this staff isn't going to be around for that....they either win with Keenum or they are done and Denver will then go into rebuild mode.  They will take the Guard from ND.  Day one pro bowl starter at a position they need desperately.

6.  Colts.  ...Buffalo could have offered them more than the Jets and I bet they did offer more....but as has been mentioned...Colts understand how this is playing out and at worst they will end up with the 3rd Best NON QB picking here.  They will stay put.

7 bucs....another great NON QB player they like here.  Barkley is my guess.

8. Bears.  Spent heavily on offense in FA...take Davenport.

9.  49ers.  This is where the action will be on draft night for Arizona, and Buffalo if they want something still on the QB board.  I am guessing Josh Allen, Jackson and Mason Rudolph are what is left.  Here is where the Bills move because Arizona will be trying to get up here too...and the Bills get Josh Allen.

Miami is not a threat to move up.  They quietly restructured Tannehill a couple weeks ago...and parting ways with him will be cap hell the next 2 seasons.  They also resigned David Fales...

Watch out for San Diego and Pittsburg moving up to that 9 spot for Allen...and if they don't get that...both are major candidates to move around trying to get Rudolph.

I do not think Jackson will go round 1.  

1. Darnold

2. Rosen

3 Mayfield

9. Allen (to Buffalo)  Trade with 49ers

14.  Rudolph (to San Diego) Trade with Packers.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Why would we trade 12 to move up to 9 and draft a QB? 49ers, Raiders, and Dolphins (according to you) aren't threats. I guess someone else could trade up, but I don't like that move at all. Giving up picks to defend 12 rather than truly moving up. Yuck.

Edited by What a Tuel

3 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

His name is in small print at the bottom of every single draft profile page.

Its his grade. I’m sorry but you’re wrong.

And if you look you can see the draft “grades” have changed throughout there inception. Andrew Luck was a 97.0 for example. That just means someone else was doing it.

I stand corrected. I hadn't noticed that name at the bottom of each and every player scouting report and it looks like he does them all. 

55 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Why would we trade 12 to move up to 9 and draft a QB? 49ers, Raiders, and Dolphins (according to you) aren't threats. I guess someone else could trade up, but I don't like that move at all. Giving up picks to defend 12 rather than truly moving up. Yuck.

Miami has stated that all options are on the table and they will look at a QB with their first pick. The thing is that Arizona is still looking for a QB and I highly doubt they will be thinking Bradford, Glennen long term. I can see them in the mix to move up if one of the top four/five are there. 

5 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I also fail to believe that Beane who supposedly gauging trade interest in the draft would fail to realize that 1 and 2 were out of play and he let Indy fall through the cracks and let the Jests go there....

But why?  It’s been reported the Jets and Colts have been talking about a trade for months. If we take Beane at face value he wasn’t ready to pull the trigger. All these draft picks would have to be pretty intoxicating. I know we all want to believe Beane is a wizard but in reality he’s the less experienced guy in the club. It’s entirely possible the Colts pick was the only one open for business, they spent a month hoping we would get off the sidelines and we didn’t, now we’ve been frozen out. 

I have a glimmer of hope we get to 2, but that’s Buffalo fandom in a nutshell, a glimmer of hope that isn’t really happening. The much more likely reality is giving up one extra pick to get to 6-7 and settling for the 4th guy on the board. 

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

You answered your own question.  Beat other teams to that spot to make sure you get the player.  

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

You answered your own question. Someone else could trade up ahead of the bills and leave them with no options. Sound familiar?  

This team’s fate for the next 15 years may have been sealed by overachieving last year. I predict we won’t be looking back at last year’s playoff run fondly very soon. But hey we got to kick a field goal in January!

• Like (+1) 1

They have to get to 2. It is what it is now so stop complaining about the cost. This offseason is a complete failure if they don't get one of the top QB's. They whiffed on a veteran and now they have to go all in on a rookie. I'm guessing the holdup is that the Giants want next year's #1 too and Beane is holding out. Meanwhile Denver is also trying to move up and a drop from 2 to 5 is much more attractive than 2 to 12. Lucky for us Gettleman hasn't made the deal because he's giving Beane the opportunity to think it through. He wants to have these guys in for a visit before deciding. In the end someone is going to have to give in and it's probably going to have to be Beane. Giants are in the driver's seat. QB's are going 1, 2, 3, 5, 15

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

They have to get to 2. It is what it is now so stop complaining about the cost. This offseason is a complete failure if they don't get one of the top QB's. They whiffed on a veteran and now they have to go all in on a rookie. I'm guessing the holdup is that the Giants want next year's #1 too and Beane is holding out. Meanwhile Denver is also trying to move up and a drop from 2 to 5 is much more attractive than 2 to 12. Lucky for us Gettleman hasn't made the deal because he's giving Beane the opportunity to think it through. He wants to have these guys in for a visit before deciding. In the end someone is going to have to give in and it's probably going to have to be Beane. Giants are in the driver's seat. QB's are going 1, 2, 3, 5, 15

Is Denver trying to move up? I certainly think it’s possible but I haven’t seen many people linking them to 2. That’s a big price to pay for them. After Keenum I’d expect them to stay at 5 if the Giants don’t trade out and maybe go to 4 if QB’s go 1-3. I think that they could also stay at 5 and take Nelson. 

The Giants have the pick that everyone wants, the Bills have the package that the Giants want. Both have some leverage. It’s just different. If the Giants want to pick 2 they will. If they want the biggest return it is from the Bills. 

18 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

You touched on it, but I think the current reality is the Giants need to be 100% sure they aren’t in love with one of these QBs before they are willing to deal. Basically we need the Giants to be wrong, not evaluating a guy to be worth it, but turning out that he is. 

I almost think the best play for us is going up to 4 now, to ensure we get a top 4 QB with the hopes of boxing Denver out should the Giants decide to move. But I tend to believe it’s more of a top 3 of QBs in war rooms currently with Baker closer to Jackson than #3. 

15 hours ago, Yav said:

Oh I agree, but I think it's more likely that neither QB works out. IMO the percentage is against you.

I hear ya im more of the mindset of no guts no glory. The past 17 years have worn me thin on patience!

37 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Is Denver trying to move up? I certainly think it’s possible but I haven’t seen many people linking them to 2. That’s a big price to pay for them. After Keenum I’d expect them to stay at 5 if the Giants don’t trade out and maybe go to 4 if QB’s go 1-3. I think that they could also stay at 5 and take Nelson. 

The Giants have the pick that everyone wants, the Bills have the package that the Giants want. Both have some leverage. It’s just different. If the Giants want to pick 2 they will. If they want the biggest return it is from the Bills. 

I'm guessing they have inquired. It was reported their plan A was Cousins and plan B was Keenum and possibly trading to 1. Denver is QB desperate and when a team is desperate they do crazy things. I think they want Mayfield or Allen so staying where they are might be fine for now. If they do decide they need to get ahead of someone because they want a QB linked to someone else I think they are our biggest threat. If Giants decide to take a QB and our last hope is to trade up to 4 I think Cleveland would much rather deal with Denver and swap spots so they could still get Barkley and that would be end of the road for us. So we need to get to 2, there's no other play for us and Giants hold our destiny in their hands and they know it. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

But why?  It’s been reported the Jets and Colts have been talking about a trade for months. If we take Beane at face value he wasn’t ready to pull the trigger. All these draft picks would have to be pretty intoxicating. I know we all want to believe Beane is a wizard but in reality he’s the less experienced guy in the club. It’s entirely possible the Colts pick was the only one open for business, they spent a month hoping we would get off the sidelines and we didn’t, now we’ve been frozen out. 

I have a glimmer of hope we get to 2, but that’s Buffalo fandom in a nutshell, a glimmer of hope that isn’t really happening. The much more likely reality is giving up one extra pick to get to 6-7 and settling for the 4th guy on the board. 

Because I am giving him a glimmer of hope that he wasn't that slow off the boat and honestly, that inept. 

As reported we were in conversations with the Colts as well, I am assuming, that Beane must have had a reason for declining to beat the offer (in negotiations I am sure the Colts wanted to drive the price up as high as possible). I would hope that we don't have another GM who is asleep at the wheel (I don't believe this is the case). Beane better have some idea as to who he is targeting, maybe the final board isn't set up enough and seeing that we traded TT and waited for AJ, he left a gaping hole and appears to be playing roulette with this position. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Because I am giving him a glimmer of hope that he wasn't that slow off the boat and honestly, that inept. 

As reported we were in conversations with the Colts as well, I am assuming, that Beane must have had a reason for declining to beat the offer (in negotiations I am sure the Colts wanted to drive the price up as high as possible). I would hope that we don't have another GM who is asleep at the wheel (I don't believe this is the case). Beane better have some idea as to who he is targeting, maybe the final board isn't set up enough and seeing that we traded TT and waited for AJ, he left a gaping hole and appears to be playing roulette with this position. 

To me, this makes a ton of sense

11 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I have a glimmer of hope still too.  But it's entirely possible the Jets caught Beane in a moment where Beane thought he controlled the negotiations and slipped one past him.  Realistically anything is possible.  We could have been deep in talks with the Giants and they could have been blown apart by the price the Jets paid.  Beane could have called the Colts bluff about pulling the trigger at this point.  Beane could be intoxicated by his draft capital and unwilling to pull the trigger until he's 110% sure, yet all the seats could be filled by that point.  Anything is in play, but currently the Giants hold all the cards, they aren't going to move down until they are 110% sure the picks are worth the trade out.  We all want to hope with the best intentions in the world that Beane has an ace up his sleeve, but right now the most likely scenario is we have yet another regime who is hitching their wagon to another teams backup and overdrafting whatever is left on the board.

2 hours ago, kdiggz said:

I'm guessing they have inquired. It was reported their plan A was Cousins and plan B was Keenum and possibly trading to 1. Denver is QB desperate and when a team is desperate they do crazy things. I think they want Mayfield or Allen so staying where they are might be fine for now. If they do decide they need to get ahead of someone because they want a QB linked to someone else I think they are our biggest threat. If Giants decide to take a QB and our last hope is to trade up to 4 I think Cleveland would much rather deal with Denver and swap spots so they could still get Barkley and that would be end of the road for us. So we need to get to 2, there's no other play for us and Giants hold our destiny in their hands and they know it. 

The Jets are QB desperate, their current regime knows they need a QB or are out of a job.  Cleveland is QB desperate, Haslam may nuke the whole thing yet agian if they screw up the position for a 3rd year in a row.  Elway is QB desperate, they've swung and missed multiple times and aren't going to just put their eggs in the Keenum / Lynch basket.  I get the sense Beane / McD aren't QB desperate.  The Bengals putting them in the playoff bought them some goodwill.  Because of that, I don't think they are truly willing to pay the price to get an elite guy, I think they have their price on a trade up, but they aren't willing to go the extra step because they are resting on some goodwill and 6 picks in the top 3 rounds lets them swing on a lower tier QB prospect, add a bunch of talent and see what happens.

It's clear some fans are fine with that route, if they find a diamond in the rough that's a big win.  But I'm increasingly worried those of us who want to see the franchise take a real swing for the first time ever are going to come away disappointed.

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I have a glimmer of hope still too.  But it's entirely possible the Jets caught Beane in a moment where Beane thought he controlled the negotiations and slipped one past him.  Realistically anything is possible.  We could have been deep in talks with the Giants and they could have been blown apart by the price the Jets paid.  Beane could have called the Colts bluff about pulling the trigger at this point.  Beane could be intoxicated by his draft capital and unwilling to pull the trigger until he's 110% sure, yet all the seats could be filled by that point.  Anything is in play, but currently the Giants hold all the cards, they aren't going to move down until they are 110% sure the picks are worth the trade out.  We all want to hope with the best intentions in the world that Beane has an ace up his sleeve, but right now the most likely scenario is we have yet another regime who is hitching their wagon to another teams backup and overdrafting whatever is left on the board.

I don't disagree with any of this...

4 hours ago, Wsam4031 said:

I hear ya im more of the mindset of no guts no glory. The past 17 years have worn me thin on patience!

I’m torn. Do, don’t do it, I don’t even care anymore just do something to win. 

Go to #4 now.  #12 / #22 / #65.  (1,800 points for #4 vs 2,245 points for those picks).

Then once the Giants decide they aren't taking QB, flip #4 / #53 / #97.  Giants either get the #1 position player or shop again to the team desperate for the final QB on the board.

Keep a 2018 2nd and all our 2019 picks.

• Like (+1) 1

My 2 cents of what I think will happen (not just what I want to happen).....

Browns- take Darnold, 95% sure

Giants- I believe they are in  "win-now mode." Rosen would sit the bench or Eli would, and in  the NYG's  eyes, that's a waste of a good player. They will take the Bills large offer of 12, 22, 53, 65, plus 2019 2nd rounder. The Bills draft Josh Rosen!! 

Jets- Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield, but I think they will take Allen

Browns- Denzel Ward

Broncos- Quentin Nelson

Colts- (trade with Miami or Arizona)- whatever QB is left either Mayfield or Allen. 

Bucs- Barkley

49ers- Bradley Chubb

Bears- Minkah Fitzpatrik

Raiders- Roquan Smith

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I stand corrected. I hadn't noticed that name at the bottom of each and every player scouting report and it looks like he does them all. 

Miami has stated that all options are on the table and they will look at a QB with their first pick. The thing is that Arizona is still looking for a QB and I highly doubt they will be thinking Bradford, Glennen long term. I can see them in the mix to move up if one of the top four/five are there. 

20 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

You answered your own question.  Beat other teams to that spot to make sure you get the player.  

20 hours ago, Chemical said:

You answered your own question. Someone else could trade up ahead of the bills and leave them with no options. Sound familiar?  

This team’s fate for the next 15 years may have been sealed by overachieving last year. I predict we won’t be looking back at last year’s playoff run fondly very soon. But hey we got to kick a field goal in January!

The bolded is the only valid reason. If you are giving up picks to move out of 12, you better be damn sure it is move up ahead of they higher teams. Not play defense against teams picking in the mid teens. Thats just failure on the GMs part at that point. Just my opinion though, and I am sure I won't be the only one pissed at this. Moving up for 4-5th choice. Yuck.

20 hours ago, kdiggz said:

So we criticize the Broncos for trying to move up because they're desperate, but criticize the Bills if they don't move up.

makes perfect sense.

On 3/20/2018 at 8:54 PM, YoloinOhio said:

No other team will have 2 1sts to offer this year nor the overall draft capital in 2018 to realistically be able to offer 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd.

Yeah, no other team has 2 1sts. But if any of them are convinced that the next elite QB is there, they all have four first rounders to trade, their 1sts in 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021. You can trade your 2021 picks after the draft has begun according to the rules, but considering how many FA contracts were made before the FA period started, deals could be made right now to become official later.

I hope they can get the #2 for just this year's picks. But it's far from a sure thing. If somebody is desperate, anything could happen.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

So we criticize the Broncos for trying to move up because they're desperate, but criticize the Bills if they don't move up.

makes perfect sense.

Not criticizing anyone for getting a franchise QB. You don't win without one. Some teams are more desperate than others is the point that you are missing. If you don't get a QB you will lose your job. So to think Denver will just sit back and do nothing is naive

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, no other team has 2 1sts. But if any of them are convinced that the next elite QB is there, they all have four first rounders to trade, their 1sts in 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021. You can trade your 2021 picks after the draft has begun according to the rules, but considering how many FA contracts were made before the FA period started, deals could be made right now to become official later.

I hope they can get the #2 for just this year's picks. But it's far from a sure thing. If somebody is desperate, anything could happen.

As would the Bills. If you want to include the next 3 1st rounders then the Bills have 5 1sts and the rest have 4. They have more draft ammo than any other team, period. Considering current year draft picks are more valuable than future, they are the only team other than Cleveland (who doesn’t need it with already holding the 1st pick) with enough ammo this year to get it done that way too. And if you look at the QB situation on all 32 teams, no team is more desperate than the Bills at the position. They are the only team without a starter. Even the Browns and Jets have named their starting Qb for this season.  AJ McCarron is blatantly being presented as a backup with the passive approach to signing him and the structure and size of the contract.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

The Giants are doing their best to get Cleveland to take the QB first with their loving Darnold rumors.

If you love a particular player,why on earth would you publicize it?

The question is why are they trying to get Cleveland to take Darnold. Do they love Rosen,maybe Allen? Do they desire Barkley?

Are they doing dirty work for a team that wants Rosen who they are trading down with?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dlonce said:

The Giants are doing their best to get Cleveland to take the QB first with their loving Darnold rumors.

If you love a particular player,why on earth would you publicize it?

The question is why are they trying to get Cleveland to take Darnold. Do they love Rosen,maybe Allen? Do they desire Barkley?

Are they doing dirty work for a team that wants Rosen who they are trading down with?

They're appeasing their fanbase that they would've taken Darnold if he was available trying to show they did their due diligence on QB's but nobody other than Darnold was worth prematurely ending Eli's career with the Giants.  

On 2018-03-20 at 11:20 PM, K-9 said:

I've considered both possibilities, especially the Browns, who would be crazy to risk their QB of the future. As to the Giants, while I personally think they're nuts on passing up the opportunity to draft their QB for 10 years after Manning retires, they don't have a ton of picks, their roster needs upgrades and in a deep draft, we are uniquely positioned for them to acquire of ton of picks in this draft. 

And the Giants wouldn't make a trade with the Jest if their lives depended on it, so that avenue was never available to them. 

I dunno. They had two MAJOR pieces go down early last year. If it wasn't for that, they wouldn't even be close to picking this high in the first place.

On 3/20/2018 at 7:58 AM, BigBuff423 said:

Man, that IS a king's ransom to make that move...in fact, it would seem that would be enough to get to #1.....if the Giant's counter, I'd love to know how much more they think they can get....woof!

In many ways, for all of that, I'd rather stay put....wow.

Why? 

I don't understand this mentality. What good is staying put if we don't get the player that will move us forward? Makes no sense to me. Quality over quantity

• Like (+1) 1

#1 Darnold - Cleveland

#2 Chubb - Giants (unless Bills acquire pick #4 and trade again with Giants - PROBABLY NOT): JPP trade makes this almost official

#3 Rosen - Jets

#4 Barkley - Cleveland

#5 ????? - Denver (if not QB then...)

#6 TRADE ALERT with Colts? Allen and Mayfield

Would you do it, hope for them to fall further or wait another year? I am a Darnold/Rosen fan only unless a QB drops to us.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/56590/pierre-paul-trade-sets-stage-for-more-giants-moves-to-be-made or are they completely retooling and looking for a dance partner to trade with??

Edited by BBillsWestCoast
Added link
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Why? 

I don't understand this mentality. What good is staying put if we don't get the player that will move us forward? Makes no sense to me. Quality over quantity

Well my contention is that moving up does not guarantee you a franchise changer. Most years there Jana QB that “comes out of nowhere” to exceed their Draft position and expectations. Am I for Drafting a QB in Round 1 or 2? Yes...but given where the team is in terms of roster needs, and year where there are maybe 5 or 6 truly good QBs, I would prefer to stay put at 12 and keep all those picks. Luke Falk is a 2nd round guy who could very well end up being a good NFL QB. He has much of what you’re looking for, or stay at 12 and take Jackson or Rudolph...

It’s not that I don’t understand the desire to move up and I wouldn’t hate it....I just disagree that it is best for the franchise over the long term.

After the JPP trade, I'm giving up on the hope that the Giants would trade out.

I think they should go QB, but now it looks like Chubbs either way, they did all this maneuvering in the hopes of moving up and getting your guy at QB (at least widely assumed, it could be inaccurate)... and here we are drafting at 7-9 territory again at 12. It just doesn't stop with this team.

I know a lot of people disagree, and that's what makes the sport great. You can easily argue for building a team around a lesser QB, and hope it works out. Sometimes it does. The 2014 season was my favorite drought season, and I'd even say I liked that team more than last years team that made the playoffs. To me that is about what you're going to get going that route, again, I could be wrong, but it seems like an aberration to do much better than that without a great QB.

So I'm in the camp that comes off as ridiculous where you just keep giving away picks every couple years to trade up and try it with one of the best prospects. I know some people hate it, and I understand it, it can kill your depth, you're missing out on other impact players. I just would like to see it explored. I think Cleveland did the opposite of it and they are 1-32. I guess it's hard for me to get mad about losing when that's what this team has done except for a stretch in the late 80's early 90's. I'm fine with taking chances. 

Gettleman also has never traded down, so yeah Chubb seems like the pick. I keep having this feeling that the Bills will take Josh Allen ugh.. He fits the mold of the QBs they brought in, Peterman and McCaron. McBeane drafted a bunch of seniors last year that they saw in the Senior Bowl such as Tredavious White and Dion Dawkins. And compared to Rosen, Allen doesn't have any red flags in terms of intangibles... he fits the process. And arm strength #1 attribute yada yada. He's #5 on my QB board, but hopefully the Bills are right