Time for Beane to Call Gettleman - Beane Says the Bills Have the Capital to Get to #2

6 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think that the Giants should really try and screw over their stadium partners and make the trade with the Bills but do it for a swap of like, the Bills #12 and maybe a 5th or 6th rounder, then everyone can sit and laugh at the jets for the ridiculous price they paid to move up 2 spots early

This is an underrated thing. I believe it’s a real factor.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is an underrated thing. I believe it’s a real factor.

It would make me really happy if it was.

I hate the Giants almost as much as I hate the Jets.

They are #1 and #1a on my hate list.

Seeing their fans go bananas after they give the pick away would be glorious.

I don't think it'll happen though.

20 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

It would make me really happy if it was.

I hate the Giants almost as much as I hate the Jets.

They are #1 and #1a on my hate list.

Seeing their fans go bananas after they give the pick away would be glorious.

I don't think it'll happen though.

I listened to a podcast with Gettleman over the weekend. He seemed bitter that he was fired in Carolina. He seemed like he wanted to be king of NY. It wouldn’t surprise me if he traded the pick and stocked up on big time talent in the draft as a result, plus getting a 1st next year, and making himself the story over whoever the Jets take, and forget burying their big moment by giving their division rival Bills the chance to draft before them.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I listened to a podcast with Gettleman over the weekend. He seemed bitter that he was fired in Carolina. He seemed like he wanted to be king of NY. It wouldn’t surprise me if he traded the pick and stocked up on big time talent in the draft as a result, and making himself the story over whoever the Jets take, and forget burying their big moment by giving their division rival Bills the chance to draft before them.

I don't disagree with everything you just said.

The guy you had originally quoted said to "screw the Jets" by giving the Bills #2 for #12 and a 5th or 6th rounder to make the Jets look dumb for overpaying.

That's what I meant about "not happening"

A trade could still happen, just not for that price lol

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I don't disagree with everything you just said.

The guy you had originally quoted said to "screw the Jets" by giving the Bills #2 for #12 and a 5th or 6th rounder to make the Jets look dumb for overpaying.

That's what I meant about "not happening"

A trade could still happen, just not for that price lol

Oh yeah I don’t see that happening. But the intent to be the bigger headline in NY on 4/27, yes. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Oh yeah I don’t see that happening. But the intent to be the bigger headline in NY on 4/27, yes. 

I would love it.

I mean Jets still get their choice of 2 of the top 4 QBs, so it wouldn't screw them that badly, but it would allow their division rival a QB also, who just might be better than the one they get

9 hours ago, Buffaloflash said:

It's funny reading all the insanity in this thread!

With all the holes in our roster,we can't give up nothing!and in fact we may end up moving down to acquire more picks if anything.

If we get lucky, we may come away with Mayfield or Jackson either one I'm fine with.

we need a QB and we have plenty of picks to get one and to address other needs

5 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I would love it.

I mean Jets still get their choice of 2 of the top 4 QBs, so it wouldn't screw them that badly, but it would allow their division rival a QB also, who just might be better than the one they get

I think It would just be overshadowing that they moved up to 3 and clearly will get a top QB but then the Bills getting ahead of them will make it look like they may not have gotten the top QB on their board, in fact they may have traded all of that capital to move up 3 spots and got the 3rd QB on their board. True or not (maybe that’s who they wanted all along and would have taken him at 1,2 or 3) it can be spun to make them look stupid by anyone with that intent in the ny media (and those guys are out there) 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The eagles, I think , waited about a week before the draft before pulling the trigger, so hopefully we can get a deal done before draft day. This wondering and waiting is exhausting.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016:

"The Eagles acquired the No. 2 overall pick of the 2016 NFL Draft in a trade with the Cleveland Browns on Wednesday, the Eagles announced. The Browns will receive Philadelphia's No. 8 overall pick, a third- and fourth-round selection in this draft, next year's first-round pick and a second-round pick in 2018. The Eagles also got a conditional fifth-round pick (a compensatory fourth-rounder, if available) from the Browns next season".

Thursday, April 28, 2016:

First day of 2016 NFL Draft.

Perhaps Wednesday, April 18, 2018, we will get our wish?

15 hours ago, Tcali said:

that would be insane. peyton manning,john elway or andrew luck arent available in this draft.

I agree, and I'm not saying I like the idea, I just see it taking that much to move up to #2. 

Personally I'd rather they roll with AJ and keep the draft picks. What have any of these kids coming out of college done that he hasn't?

At the same time I can understand everyone's frustration with finding a QB.

It may sound stupid, but one of my biggest reasons for wanting to trade up prior to the draft outside of the relief of knowing we got there, is this guy is going to come in viewed as the current and future face of the franchise immediately, I really don't want this moment:

Image result for eli manning wearing a chargers hat

• Haha (+1) 1

Albert Breer: NFL Draft Rumors Start in Cleveland
Late first-round picks lack value. The other day, I was spit-balling on a potential Bills-Giants swap with a team exec, who said to me, “The problem is that the 22nd pick might as well be in the third round.” He was exaggerating, but only a little bit. The consensus I’ve heard is the difference between 22 and 52 is minimal this year, which is part of why the Colts did well to land a couple high second-rounders in their trade with the Jets.

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

When they say blue print...that means the Giants are only willing to trade if their guy is off the board. 

It would seem that they have an agreement in principle, but there are conditions that one or both sides would like to see met before executing the deal. Giants clearly want more time to see if anyone offers more than what we have on the table, and maybe they want to see who the Browns select. The Bills may also want to see who the Browns select. Ultimately, I believe both sides gain from waiting until the Browns have officially made their selection.

15 hours ago, cba fan said:

Blueprint Shoeprint.

If they have a deal it would have been done already. No reason to wait.

I would sit on that pick till the last minute on the clock at the draft to see if there is any other team willing ot out bid us

No reason at all to trade that pick now unless the bIlls were massively over paying like the Jests did

Edited by ddaryl

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Late first-round picks lack value. The other day, I was spit-balling on a potential Bills-Giants swap with a team exec, who said to me, “The problem is that the 22nd pick might as well be in the third round.” He was exaggerating, but only a little bit. The consensus I’ve heard is the difference between 22 and 52 is minimal this year, which is part of why the Colts did well to land a couple high second-rounders in their trade with the Jets.

I speculated a couple of days ago that it may be better to move up from 22 into the low teens if it's possible at all.  I don't think pick 12 vs ~7 is the problem, I think it's the other picks.  It also gives some perspective on the Cordy Glenn trade, the Bills did great to move from 21 into the 2nd level of prospects by giving up a guy who seemingly had checked out when the ink was dry on his deal.

At 12 you know you are getting one of Ward / Edmonds / Smith / Fitzpatrick / James, it drops off quick after that.

15 hours ago, DJB said:

Unless we trade up for our QB, Ill be heartbroken. ..

15 hours ago, PIZ said:

So, say Allen goes #1.  Bills get #2.  Who do we pick out of Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield?

And how many people will feel out at whoever we draft?

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I speculated a couple of days ago that it may be better to move up from 22 into the low teens if it's possible at all.  I don't think pick 12 vs ~7 is the problem, I think it's the other picks.  It also gives some perspective on the Cordy Glenn trade, the Bills did great to move from 21 into the 2nd level of prospects by giving up a guy who seemingly had checked out when the ink was dry on his deal.

At 12 you know you are getting one of Ward / Edmonds / Smith / Fitzpatrick / James, it drops off quick after that.

Perhaps, but if there are only 18-20 first-round grades, then all it takes is one or two teams doing something relatively unexpected (which almost always happens in the top 20) to push one of those guys to 22.

I think they have the ammo to pull it off

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I saw this too.  A lot of people only see as many as 20 1st round worthy picks in this draft.  Pick 22 might as well be a 2nd rounder

Just now, kdiggz said:

I saw this too.  A lot of people only see as many as 20 1st round worthy picks in this draft.  Pick 22 might as well be a 2nd rounder

It's very very likely that next year's first is gone. I don't see it any other way. 

11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Perhaps, but if there are only 18-20 first-round grades, then all it takes is one or two teams doing something relatively unexpected (which almost always happens in the top 20) to push one of those guys to 22.

I think they have the ammo to pull it off

I agree, but you are dealing with uncertainty.  There are a couple pivot points in the draft.  I think 8 is one, where it only takes 1 guy sneaking in and you are looking at one of the 3 "blue chip" position players or one of the 4 QBs, otherwise you are looking at the same tier as 12.  22 certainly feels right about another one, where it only takes 1 or 2 guys sneaking in and you feel very good about the pick, but if everything falls like it should you are basically taking the same level guy as pick ~45.

Unless the Giants are going QB (and I'm convinced they are committed enough to Eli and intrigued enough by Webb they are willing to pass), I don't think they are going to pass up 5 or 6 day 1/2 picks regardless of how the tiers fall.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That has been my worry too. Good quote.

12 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

But devils advocate says if you are the Giants or the Browns and you trade down from 1/2/4, you are going to be sitting on more than enough later picks to move up to get one of those "20" 1st rounders.  You turn 1 "1st rounder" into 2 and have more picks beyond that.

13 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Maybe trade 22, 53, and 96 to GB for #14? It then becomes more conceivable to trade 12, 14, 65 and next year's second to move into the top 5.

2 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

If 22 is practically a 3rd rounder (exaggeration), then what is 37 and 49 that the Colts got? 4th rounders?

It's two instead of 1. Plus 6 is way better than 12.

11 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

If 22 is practically a 3rd rounder (exaggeration), then what is 37 and 49 that the Colts got? 4th rounders?

No.  The belief is there's not much difference between 22 and 49.  There's been quotes there's ~60-70 "starters" in the draft but ~20 "1st rounders".

6 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I agree, but you are dealing with uncertainty.  There are a couple pivot points in the draft.  I think 8 is one, where it only takes 1 guy sneaking in and you are looking at one of the 3 "blue chip" position players or one of the 4 QBs, otherwise you are looking at the same tier as 12.  22 certainly feels right about another one, where it only takes 1 or 2 guys sneaking in and you feel very good about the pick, but if everything falls like it should you are basically taking the same level guy as pick ~45.

Unless the Giants are going QB (and I'm convinced they are committed enough to Eli and intrigued enough by Webb they are willing to pass), I don't think they are going to pass up 5 or 6 day 1/2 picks regardless of how the tiers fall.

Agreed.

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

But devils advocate says if you are the Giants or the Browns and you trade down from 1/2/4, you are going to be sitting on more than enough later picks to move up to get one of those "20" 1st rounders.  You turn 1 "1st rounder" into 2 and have more picks beyond that.

Agreed again

7 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

No.  The belief is there's not much difference between 22 and 49.  There's been quotes there's ~60-70 "starters" in the draft but ~20 "1st rounders".

I've heard 17-18 first rounders at most. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea considering a trade up with GB, a team which always seems to find good value in the 40-100 range (think of all of their second and third round receivers who produce like crazy - Nelson, Jennings, Cobb, Adams).

Edited by dave mcbride

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

That seems silly, but what do I know. I feel like many teams would instantly trade 49 and 37 to move up to 22. 

2 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

That seems silly, but what do I know. I feel like many teams would instantly trade 49 and 37 to move up to 22. 

From everything I've read, there really aren't 22 first round talents this year, and there are a lot of players graded as second rounders. 2 second round-graded players are better than one in terms of your odds of achieving success. You just aren't finding an elite prospect at 22. 

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I've heard 17-18 first rounders at most. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea considering a trade up with GB, a team which always seems to find good value in the 40-100 range (think of all of their second and third round receivers who produce like crazy - Nelson, Jennings, Cobb, Adams).

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

From everything I've read, there really aren't 22 first round talents this year, and there are a lot of players graded as second rounders. 2 second round-graded players are better than one in terms of your odds of achieving success. You just aren't finding an elite prospect at 22. 

Not that anyone should base things on me, but I have exactly 22 first-round grades this year.  I have 38 2nd round grades and 73 day 2 grades overall.

32 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I didn’t read everything that led to this statement, but it got me thinking.  You mention all these 2nd rounders GB has had who turned out very good.  The common demoninator with them all is their qb.  

With that said, if we get a real qb, I would bet our draft picks all suddenly become better.  What I mean is this....as we stand now, we need blue chippers across the board because we have all these holes.  If we hit on a qb, I think every draft pick after that suddenly doesn’t have to be blue chip prospects.  We can start to truly count on 5th round receivers being contributors.  We don’t need to trade up for Watkins because our qb can make any wr produce.  Our defense doesn’t have to be the 2000 Ravens, because we can score points.  

I know none of that is groundbreaking, but I feel like all future drafts instantly get better, or at the worst, we are less dependent on them.  Example being the Colts, who I feel many have said haven’t drafted well in the 2000s, yet won a SB and went to another because they had Manning.  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, billsfan5121 said:

I didn’t read everything that led to this statement, but it got me thinking.  You mention all these 2nd rounders GB has had who turned out very good.  The common demoninator with them all is their qb.  

With that said, if we get a real qb, I would bet our draft picks all suddenly become better.  What I mean is this....as we stand now, we need blue chippers across the board because we have all these holes.  If we hit on a qb, I think every draft pick after that suddenly doesn’t have to be blue chip prospects.  We can start to truly count on 5th round receivers being contributors.  We don’t need to trade up for Watkins because our qb can make any wr produce.  Our defense doesn’t have to be the 2000 Ravens, because we can score points.  

I know none of that is groundbreaking, but I feel like all future drafts instantly get better, or at the worst, we are less dependent on them.  Example being the Colts, who I feel many have said haven’t drafted well in the 2000s, yet won a SB and went to another because they had Manning.  

Precisely. I agree 100 percent. That said, the Colts actually made a number of good picks - Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne (helped because of Manning, of course, but still a great player), Freeney, Mathis, Sanders, and Tarik Glenn (also helped by Manning). Both Freeney and Mathis are borderline hall of famers.

52 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Not that anyone should base things on me, but I have exactly 22 first-round grades this year.  I have 38 2nd round grades and 73 day 2 grades overall.

Maybe you're just an easy grader! B-)

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

22 is still better than 53,56.  You have a higher probability of selecting the player you like at 22 than at 33.  With the amount of Qbs that are getting drafted in rd 1 there will be talented guys at 22.  Or Buffalo keeps the crappy 22 pick and trades both 2s and 3s picks up an extra 4th.  

Edited by Mat68