Time for Beane to Call Gettleman - Beane Says the Bills Have the Capital to Get to #2

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

When there is only 1 good QB you arent trading up for him. No one but the Colts had a shot at Luck. No one but the Panthers had a shot at Newton.

The only way you can make that work is to be 2-14 the year before (so you are wishing for the Bills to lose from now on), or hope that the team at #1 overall is making a repeat appearance there and already has a QB. But that is not likely.

If there are 2 QBs, you'll have to trade up to #2, and that is going to cost you just as much as it does now, but you'll be using all future picks and selling out your franchise instead of using the picks we acquired.

Your scenario doesnt make sense.

It's just wishful thinking that isnt based in reality.

There has never been, and there will never be, a better time than right now.

It makes perfect sense. Again, I'm not saying that Buffalo should wait until 2019 to trade up. I'm saying that due to how many good prospects there are this year, in my opinion, you can get a QB in the 7-12 range of the draft that's just as good a prospect as the one you're getting at #2 or #4. Basically all of the media scouts agree with that take; I'm not even remotely alone in that line of thinking.

Regarding the hypothetical that it's impossible to trade up in a year where there are only a couple good QB prospects, that was disproven no longer than two years ago and the Luck draft proved it as well. But again, I'm not advocating that Buffalo should kick the can down the road and try to trade up another year. I'm saying that Buffalo can spend 2 picks to get a guy like Mayfield, Rosen, or Lamar in that 7-12 range versus spending 4 or 5 picks to get Darnold/Allen in the top 4. I don't think the latter group is worth 2-4 times more than the former group.

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

It makes perfect sense. Again, I'm not saying that Buffalo should wait until 2019 to trade up. I'm saying that due to how many good prospects there are this year, in my opinion, you can get a QB in the 7-12 range of the draft that's just as good a prospect as the one you're getting at #2 or #4. Basically all of the media scouts agree with that take; I'm not even remotely alone in that line of thinking.

Regarding the hypothetical that it's impossible to trade up in a year where there are only a couple good QB prospects, that was disproven no longer than two years ago and the Luck draft proved it as well. But again, I'm not advocating that Buffalo should kick the can down the road and try to trade up another year. I'm saying that Buffalo can spend 2 picks to get a guy like Mayfield, Rosen, or Lamar in that 7-12 range versus spending 4 or 5 picks to get Darnold/Allen in the top 4. I don't think the latter group is worth 2-4 times more than the former group.

Buffalo spent 2 picks to trade up for Losman instead of 5 picks to get Rothlisberger. How'd that work out? There is a drop off in talent between each tier.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Let us try to make that mistake, Dave!

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Buffalo spent 2 picks to trade up for Losman instead of 5 picks to get Rothlisberger. How'd that work out? There is a drop off in talent between each tier.

yea but in this case the Rosen/Mayfield tier is better AND cheaper

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Much of this makes sense, but we have to also consider the market demand for QBs in any given year as well. In a cooler market, the odds of landing a blue chipper in the 7-12 range are far better than the chances of getting on in that range in a hot market. There is an unusual amount of demand for QBs at the top of the draft this year. So much so, the Jets secured their place at the table well in advance. 

Just now, kdiggz said:

yea but in this case the Rosen/Mayfield tier is better AND cheaper

Well, I dont agree with DCOrange's tiers. Looks like there is a Big 4 (Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield) then Tier 2 (Jackson/Rudolph) then Tier 3 (Luletta, etc).

I want our choice of Big 4. I dont want to wait for leftovers. I want THE guy.

Have we not heard reports that the Giants are off on taking a QB and that they still want to give Eli some time? 

If that is their thinking, it would make all the sense in the world for them to trade down, get extra picks, and probably still get who they want in this QB rich draft.

We neatly slide into #2 and take Darnold, after the Browns stupidly take Josh Allen, and we all laugh at the Browns being the Browns.

Isn't that how it's going to go down?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

Have we not heard reports that the Giants are off on taking a QB and that they still want to give Eli some time? 

If that is their thinking, it would make all the sense in the world for them to trade down, get extra picks, and probably still get who they want in this QB rich draft.

We neatly slide into #2 and take Darnold, after the Browns stupidly take Josh Allen, and we all laugh at the Browns being the Browns.

Isn't that how it's going to go down?

I think teams would laugh at us for giving up all of those picks to get Darnold who is not better than Rosen or Mayfield.  At this point I think we should try and get to pick 5 knowing we will get one of those guys and keep some of our picks

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Much of this makes sense, but we have to also consider the market demand for QBs in any given year as well. In a cooler market, the odds of landing a blue chipper in the 7-12 range are far better than the chances of getting on in that range in a hot market. There is an unusual amount of demand for QBs at the top of the draft this year. So much so, the Jets secured their place at the table well in advance. 

Of course, but there's countless reports at this point that a guy like Rosen is likely to slide, perhaps as far as out of the top 10 entirely. Certainly the Bills can get one of the top 5 QBs in the 7-12 range and there's a good chance they'll have multiple options depending on where in that range they settle in.

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Of course, but there's countless reports at this point that a guy like Rosen is likely to slide, perhaps as far as out of the top 10 entirely. Certainly the Bills can get one of the top 5 QBs in the 7-12 range and there's a good chance they'll have multiple options depending on where in that range they settle in.

You cant believe any "report". Glenn was more of a Guard too, right? No way is Rosen sliding out of the top 10. It is way more liekly we see 4 QB picked in the first 6 picks. That is the market this year. Nothing should be counted as "certainly".

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You cant believe any "report". Glenn was more of a Guard too, right? No way is Rosen sliding out of the top 10. It is way more liekly we see 4 QB picked in the first 6 picks. That is the market this year. Nothing should be counted as "certainly".

You really don't think we can count on at least 2 of the first 6 picks being non-QBs?

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

IDK, there's always more demand than supply.   All it takes is two teams bidding for one player to drive the price higher.   

Next year that will surely be the case as well, and more than likely there will be more demand as the franchise guys age out and good teams look to reload...

Just now, DCOrange said:

Pay no attention to the "reports." Like Buddy always said, "We are all trying to rob the same train." 

I agree there's a "chance" they'll have options in that 7-12 range, but that's all it is. We don't know what grades they've assigned and how their board stacks up. If they've identified a prospect that clearly stands apart from the rest, and I suspect they have at this point,  then they should do what it takes to get in a position to land him, which means getting in front of the Jets at a minimum.  

Especially since we will retain enough picks to conduct a traditional draft with picks remaining in each round (except 7 IIRC). 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Liar.

Nope...he knows he isn't picking at #2, should ask him who is is taking at 12 & 22....

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He’s not lying. He doesn’t know because he doesn’t need to know. He’s not picking at #2.

LOL same time again!

21 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Let us try to make that mistake, Dave!

This is fiction. Bills had a deal done with HOU to move up ahead of PIT for Roethlisberger. It was cancelled last minute by the Texans when DeAngelo Hall was picked by ATL. The ensuing panic move to get Losman was clearly a mistake, but it wasn't the initial plan of attack. It's unknown what the compensation to HOU was, but it was presumably much more than what they gave to move up into the end of round one. 

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Nope...he knows he isn't picking at #2, should ask him who is is taking at 12 & 22....

LOL same time again!

I’m only slow today because I’m drinking bloody Marys. Judge away! We all have our coping mechanisms.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

This is fiction. Bills had a deal done with HOU to move up ahead of PIT for Roethlisberger. It was cancelled last minute by the Texans when DeAngelo Hall was picked by ATL. The ensuing panic move to get Losman was clearly a mistake, but it wasn't the initial plan of attack. It's unknown what the compensation to HOU was, but it was presumably much more than what they gave to move up into the end of round one. 

I believe it was either Steve Tasker or Chris Brown the other day that stated a current Bills FO personnel who was in the war room said "we (the Bills) just chickened out at the last second".  

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I’m only slow today because I’m drinking bloody Marys. Judge away! We all have our coping mechanisms.

I hear ya man! One week to go... I'm trying to hang in there. lol

As excited as I am about draft day, I know I am going to be a total nervous wreck, especially as the teams start going on the clock. 

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

Awesome trade by Gettleman...he owns his old buddy here.

You think?

I would be thrilled if it only cost two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd to get to #2 overall. 

We'd still have two 1sts this year, two 2nds, a 3rds, 4th, 5th, 6th

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I believe it was either Steve Tasker or Chris Brown the other day that stated a current Bills FO personnel who was in the war room said "we (the Bills) just chickened out at the last second".  

Chris Mortensen reported the looming trade as a " done deal" on ESPNs draft coverage. A short time later, he said the deal was cancelled by the Texans as they were concerned they wouldn't get the CB they wanted at 13. ( the Bills pick). The Bills cancelling the deal would have made zero sense as they obviously would have gotten Roethlisberger. Sounds like something got lost in translation there with CB. I've never heard such a rendition of that day's events. Fwiw 

13 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I know what happened on Houston's side. My point was about settling for a second tier QB. The Bills were willing to spend future 1sts anyways. No one was putting together "6 pick deals" back then like they do now. Maybe if they had, it would have been an offer the Texans couldnt refuse. You have to be willing to try and get the best.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Chris Mortensen reported the looming trade as a " done deal" on ESPNs draft coverage. A short time later, he said the deal was cancelled by the Texans as they were concerned they wouldn't get the CB they wanted at 13. ( the Bills pick). The Bills cancelling the deal would have made zero sense as they obviously would have gotten Roethlisberger. Sounds like something got lost in translation there with CB. I've never heard such a rendition of that day's events. Fwiw 

Well it's a situation of whose report you want to believe.  

Brown sounded pretty convincing.  It wasn't hearsay, he spoke with this guy directly.  Said they (other personnel members)to this day will talk about how history would have been much different if they didn't chicken out.

So who knows who is right.

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Well it's a situation of whose report you want to believe.  

Brown sounded pretty convincing.  It wasn't hearsay, he spoke with this guy directly.  Said they (other personnel members)to this day will talk about how history would have been much different if they didn't chicken out.

So who knows who is right.

I've only heard it was the Texans that killed the trade because they wanted Robinson. And I'm fine believing that. But my point will always be we should have made an offer that was way more enticing than Dunta Robinson.