Time for Beane to Call Gettleman - Beane Says the Bills Have the Capital to Get to #2

26 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I am unlikely to be moved off of my position that Darnold and Allen will be the first 2 QBs off the board.

I don't know why but, if we don't trade up and take Rosen second overall. I think it goes Darnold first and Mayfield third overall

Just now, horned dogs said:

You don't think Buffalo gets to 2 and takes Rosen and if they do instead they take Allen?

My opinion was barring any trades; sorry, should've made that clear.

I do think, however, that Buffalo is a real wild card in the QB market.

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

I don't know why but, if we don't trade up and take Rosen second overall. I think it goes Darnold first and Mayfield third overall

If Buffalo wants to trade up, they need Darnold to go No. 1.  If Allen goes 1, then Darnold goes 2, and Buffalo is looking at having to pry Cleveland out of the 4-hole for the last of the Big 4, or having to hope that Denver passes.

1 minute ago, horned dogs said:

Phew! Thanks for clearing that up.

If you fear the prospect of them trading up for Allen, then you probably don't want to get too comfortable.  It's certainly a possibility.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

If Buffalo wants to trade up, they need Darnold to go No. 1.  If Allen goes 1, then Darnold goes 2, and Buffalo is looking at having to pry Cleveland out of the 4-hole for the last of the Big 4, or having to hope that Denver passes.

If you fear the prospect of them trading up for Allen, then you probably don't want to get too comfortable.  It's certainly a possibility.

No I just don't want Allen ahead of Rosen, Darnold and perhaps Mayfield. If they moved up to say 6-12 and took Allen I would be fine with it.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

That's how I see it as well.  This would imply that there is no way we can trade up before Cleveland's pick at one unless they definitively declare they are taking Darnold prior to the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, thebandit27 said:

If Allen goes first overall I'm turning off the draft and walking away from football for a bit lol.

Seriously, if Allen goes first overall I basically give up. Like you said Darnold is a slam dunk at second, and that leaves Rosen or Baker for the Jets and Buffalo desperately trying to get to four.

Which hear me out. In that position, if the chips fell that way, Cleveland would probably have a higher price tag for that fourth overall than the Giants would at two (had Darnold gone first)

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

That's how I see it as well.  This would imply that there is no way we can trade up before Cleveland's pick at one unless they definitively declare they are taking Darnold prior to the draft.

I will likely be a tantalizing 3 weeks because I think Browns aren't going to announce their pick declaration before the draft.

1 minute ago, horned dogs said:

No I just don't want Allen ahead of Rosen, Darnold and perhaps Mayfield. If they moved up to say 6-12 and took Allen I would be fine with it.

Gotcha.  That's more or less how I see it as well (in order: Rosen-Mayfield-Darnold-Allen), but I've come to terms with the idea that they may need to go to 4 to get any of those guys.

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Right, which they definitely aren't going to do.  They'll do as most teams do and wait to see if they get blown away with an offer that they can't refuse.

Just now, BillsFan17 said:

If Allen goes first overall I'm turning off the draft and walking away from football for a bit lol.

Seriously, if Allen goes first overall I basically give up. Like you said Darnold is a slam dunk at second, and that leaves Rosen or Baker for the Jets and Buffalo desperately trying to get to four.

Which hear me out. In that position, if the chips fell that way, Cleveland would probably have a higher price tag for that fourth overall than the Giants would at two (had Darnold gone first)

It's possible that what you're saying is correct about Cleveland having a higher price, but all that says to me is that they don't really want to move from 4, so you're taking your chances with Denver passing on a QB.

Then again, I think Cleveland's "can't refuse" price will ultimately be lower than NYG at 2 regardless of who is or isn't around.

I will likely be a tantalizing 3 weeks because I think Browns aren't going to announce their pick declaration before the draft.

One fella's tantalizing is another's excruciating, apparently:(

We will have to suck it up the next weeks and have no answer until we're on the clock at 2 hopefully :D

What is you position on the QBs? 

In a state of quantum flux, depends on which second you ask me.  In general, I think Mayfield and Rosen are the safest picks and I would be happy with either.  I like Darnold, think there is more risk there, and almost zero chance we can get him.  I have changed my mind on Allen and now like him, though the risk is great.  I am always tempted to swing for the fences on a fella like that, so it's probably good that I am not a GM.  I do want one of those four, though.

Jackson worries me.  I don't think he did himself any favors not having an agent and he just seems slight to me.  I'm afraid he will be another RG3, but he does potentially have a high ceiling.  I don't think Rudolph is a first round qb, but Gunner likes him as a borderline first round guy and he has a more expert eye.

maybe there is a deal on the table but Beane wants to make double and triple sure...

He DID say he felt "trust" was important when dealing with other GMs in a way that sounded to me like he meant you needed o trust that the other GM wasn't going to do a deal with someone else in the meantime.

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

maybe there is a deal on the table but Beane wants to make double and triple sure...

He DID say he felt "trust" was important when dealing with other GMs in a way that sounded to me like he meant you needed o trust that the other GM wasn't going to do a deal with someone else in the meantime.

Could also apply to Dorsey, with whom they dealt multiple times last year in KC and again this year in Cleveland 

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Could also apply to Dorsey, with whom they dealt multiple times last year in KC and again this year in Cleveland 

Dorsey drafted Mahomes right? Do you think he could go with another rocket arm in Allen? I'm convinced it's Darnold but it's a fair point that he could have a protype he favors.

30 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Gotcha.  That's more or less how I see it as well (in order: Rosen-Mayfield-Darnold-Allen), but I've come to terms with the idea that they may need to go to 4 to get any of those guys.

Right, which they definitely aren't going to do.  They'll do as most teams do and wait to see if they get blown away with an offer that they can't refuse.

It's possible that what you're saying is correct about Cleveland having a higher price, but all that says to me is that they don't really want to move from 4, so you're taking your chances with Denver passing on a QB.

Then again, I think Cleveland's "can't refuse" price will ultimately be lower than NYG at 2 regardless of who is or isn't around.

The only thing is, all indications are pointing to the Browns holding onto that pick, I'd imagine even more so if they go Allen one, cause that almost guarantees Barkley will be there at four.

Which in turn, unless Beanes guy slides, I don't think we will have a shot to move up.

Who Giants could select if they traded down

The Giants could trade back and land in any of a number of different places in the first round. While most of us are familiar with the names that have been bandied about as potential Giants if they use the No. 2 pick — the quarterbacks along with Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb and maybe Quenton Nelson — here is a look at some possibilities that could be available to the Giants depending on how far back they decide they can afford to go.

PICKS 11-15

In free agency, the Giants wanted a guard who they thought was the best lineman available and wound up with a pretty good tackle. The same situation could play out for them in the draft. Nelson will probably be long gone here, but he did have a pretty good teammate at Notre Dame who could fit the Giants’ needs. Looking at how they appraised the personalities of their acquisitions so far and listening to o-line coach Hal Hunter talk about his guys’ professionalism and grown-up attitude, they could take a player who could not only make Ereck Flowers expendable but be the heir apparent to Nate Solder a few years down the line.

Rock’s Mock Trade-Down Pick: Mike McGlinchey, T, Notre Dame

PICKS 21-25

Back to the offensive line, and the term “hog mollies” could be used an awful lot if the Giants wind up here. While Nelson is heads above most of the selections in the draft as far as day one possibilities, this is actually a fairly deep draft for interior linemen. The Giants could certainly find a starter toward the bottom of the round (or the top of the second if they are patient enough). This guy may not be as polished as the golden helmet that Nelson wears, but he’s a nasty, gritty player. In any other draft he’d probably be the first guard taken, and if the Giants can grab him here while accumulating other picks it’d be a shrewd maneuver.

Rock’s Mock Trade-Down Pick: Will Hernandez, G, UTEP

After everything that has come out this off-season from the Browns, bills, and Giants, based on what teams have said and their needs, I think it makes most sense for

Bills: get pick #2

Giants: get pick #4 and mid round picks

Browns: take QB at 1, get picks 12 and 22

More picks would be involved to even up value, but I think these are the proper draft positions for the teams to get the most value out of their draft picks.

The bills get their QB.

The Giants get more picks for depth and can take the best non-QB at 4

The browns get QB at 1 and get their starting CB and starting OT all one draft in the first round.

I'd be surprised if this has not been discussed by the three teams.

• Like (+1) 1

Several people I’ve spoken with speculated that the New York Giants and Buffalo Bills likely have a blueprint in place for a trade that would allow the Bills to move up to the second spot in the draft. They also believe that the trade won’t happen until very late in the process, if it happens at all, as the Giants want to field further offers.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Ask 5: Which team is most likely to trade up for QB in 2018 draft?

Executive 4: Buffalo Bills
Currently hold: Picks 12 and 22 in Round 1
"The Bills need a quarterback and they have the assets to move up and get him."

Summary: That's three votes for the Cardinals and one apiece for the Broncos and Bills.

Conclusion: These are some very interesting responses. I believe the Bills are the team most likely to trade up for a top QB given the package of picks they could offer. They signed AJ McCarron to be their "bridge" QB, but they are still in the market for a franchise quarterback. The fact that they have a workout scheduled with Sam Darnold tells me they have convinced his representation that they are working on trading into the top five of the draft -- I can't see Darnold working out for a team destined to pick outside of the top 10.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Time for Beane to Call Gettleman - Tony Pauline Has Heard the Bills & NYG Have a Trade Blue Print in Place

I can see the Bills sending both 1st, one second and that 3rd round pick they got from the Browns along with another pick perhaps in 2019 to the Giants for the 2nd pick in the draft. 

40 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Summary: That's three votes for the Cardinals and one apiece for the Broncos and Bills.

Conclusion: These are some very interesting responses. I believe the Bills are the team most likely to trade up for a top QB given the package of picks they could offer. They signed AJ McCarron to be their "bridge" QB, but they are still in the market for a franchise quarterback. The fact that they have a workout scheduled with Sam Darnold tells me they have convinced his representation that they are working on trading into the top five of the draft -- I can't see Darnold working out for a team destined to pick outside of the top 10.

you know, I just don't buy that - it's nice that Darnold is generally regarded as a top pick, but stranger things have happened on draft day, and no representative would like to be "that guy" who cut his guy out of a deal to be drafted at 6-12

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Yav said:

I can see the Bills sending both 1st, one second and that 3rd round pick they got from the Browns along with another pick perhaps in 2019 to the Giants for the 2nd pick in the draft. 

If they do that, we got hosed. 

No additional pressure on the ‘franchise QB’. 

On 4/4/2018 at 12:06 PM, Commonsense said:

Dorsey drafted Mahomes right? Do you think he could go with another rocket arm in Allen? I'm convinced it's Darnold but it's a fair point that he could have a protype he favors.

That could have been Reid’s call. Word is he ran the show, and ran Dorsey out.  Dorsey also traded for Alex Smith and signed TT who are not considered big arms.  But,  possible he wanted Mahomes. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

you know, I just don't buy that - it's nice that Darnold is generally regarded as a top pick, but stranger things have happened on draft day, and no representative would like to be "that guy" who cut his guy out of a deal to be drafted at 6-12

Agreed, I thought that strange as well. I'm not working out for you because you're drafting 11th. smh

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I see some national media types and in this case executives pushing this narrative that after all we've done to build capital and all the scouting of QBs we are just going to sit on our hands and watch the Cardinals or Patriots trade in front of us and it really bothers me.  

20 hours ago, BrooklynBills said:

After everything that has come out this off-season from the Browns, bills, and Giants, based on what teams have said and their needs, I think it makes most sense for

Bills: get pick #2

Giants: get pick #4 and mid round picks

Browns: take QB at 1, get picks 12 and 22

More picks would be involved to even up value, but I think these are the proper draft positions for the teams to get the most value out of their draft picks.

The bills get their QB.

The Giants get more picks for depth and can take the best non-QB at 4

The browns get QB at 1 and get their starting CB and starting OT all one draft in the first round.

I'd be surprised if this has not been discussed by the three teams.

this makes a whole lot of sense for all three teams. I have been thinking for awhile now that a 3 team trade is what will get us where we want to be.

15 minutes ago, Foxx said:

this makes a whole lot of sense for all three teams. I have been thinking for awhile now that a 3 team trade is what will get us where we want to be.

If Beane cam make that happen, he should be put in charge of Middle East peace negotiations.  The Giants and Browns have been playing cat and mouse for the last 2 months.  Can’t see the 2 of them agreeing to a 3 way trade unless Cleveland has given up on getting Barkley at 4.  

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Foxx said:

3 Team trades, especially those that are involving such high profile chips, are so rare. Hard to imagine this going down. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

So basically Beane is buying the engagement ring and Gettleman is still dating other teams?

More like they are friends with benefits but Gettleman is on the fence about making it an exclusive relationship.

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Yav said:

that would be insane. peyton manning,john elway or andrew luck arent available in this draft.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Several people I’ve spoken with speculated that the New York Giants and Buffalo Bills likely have a blueprint in place for a trade that would allow the Bills to move up to the second spot in the draft. They also believe that the trade won’t happen until very late in the process, if it happens at all, as the Giants want to field further offers.

So I get excited at the first part of the tweet, and then a big letdown.  Blueprint to the trade...."YES!!!" ... and then "if it happens at all, as the Giants want to field further offers".?

Just now, PIZ said:

So I get excited at the first part of the tweet, and then a big letdown.  Blueprint to the trade...."YES!!!" ... and then "if it happens at all, as the Giants want to field further offers".?

We have the best ammo to pull it off. 

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

So speculated means "I am guessing but will act like I heard it from others to get people to click"?