Time for Beane to Call Gettleman - Beane Says the Bills Have the Capital to Get to #2

On 3/17/2018 at 12:41 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Bills should make every effort to jump up to the #2 pick to get their guy. 

Either #2, #4, or #5. I don't necessarily think we need to go to #2, unless they really have their mind on the QB they know the jets will take.

I am good picking ANY of the BIG 4. The Jets deployed the strategy of "oh, its not worth it for that QB" for years and instead went other position needs or settled on a later round QB. Now they're desperate. 

Mahomes, Watson, Wentz, Goff, even the bears. Teams have found their QBs. This is a passing league today, not the run and pound game of the past.

Plus, Mcdermotts draft was super successful. Now he has Beane....we should have faith in their QB evaluations. I wouldn't worry, Daboll would not have taken the OC position if they didn't give him a choice at QB. They will draft someone, and Daboll much preferred benching Jalen Hurts (athletic, inaccurate QB)...so i doubt Jackson is even an option.

Edited by BillsMafioso
  • Like (+1) 1

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:17 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Here it is again!

The only reason they shouldn't do something like this is if they really do want to take a QB. Otherwise, snagging Clevelands 4, even at the cost of 2 means they net a bunch of picks, and STILL get the guy they wanted because Browns/Bills/Jets are going QB.

Its a situation that works for everyone except the Browns may need a little sweetener cause Beckham won't be cheap.

Edited by What a Tuel

On 3/28/2018 at 5:52 PM, Reed83HOF said:

Just saw that - it would be a staggering way to rebuild their team...as long as we got #2 of course!

The NFLN scenario is best-case for their franchise. They could come away from 2 trades with 3 first round picks and multiple second and third rounders. It would be foolish not to do this, they could completely remake their team in a single offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

Rex literally knows no one making calls in this organization anymore: not the GM, not the owner, not the assistant GM or any of the scouting department. His opinion is as well informed as the people on this board. 

That is all he's offering. 

From Peter King's MMQB piece today:

8. I think it’s not probable but certain possible to think that the Giants could make two trades before the draft: with the Rams for Odell Beckham Jr., and with Buffalo for the second pick in the draft. Let’s say New York did that. And let’s say New York, in return, got two first-round picks from the Rams and three first-round picks from Buffalo. Three? Three! For Buffalo to move from 12 to two in this year’s first round, and to get a top quarterback prospects, the Bills, I believe, would have to deal the 12th and 22nd picks this year, plus their first-rounder next year. How interesting would that be? It would give the Giants quantity, and allow them to own the next two first rounds. As you see here:

• In 2018, the Giants would have Buffalo’s 12th and 22nd overall picks, and the Rams’ 23rd. So three picks in the top 23.

• In 2019, the Giants would have their own first-round pick, Buffalo’s first-round pick, and the Rams’ first-round pick.

Obviously, in order for the Giants to even consider doing these deals, they’d have to believe they could eschew a drafted quarterback this year and Eli Manning would give them two more strong years (he’s slipped in recent seasons), and they’d have to have a willing partner in the Bills. Buffalo would have to be willing to denude the top of its next two drafts to get the quarterback it wants. I don’t expect both things to happen, but the Giants could do something historic this year.  

I'll support the organization if they do this because I believe they have earned the right for that trust but I wouldn't be thrilled about it.  I much would rather try to trade with either Cleveland/Denver/Indy and give up considerably less.  

3 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Several general managers I spoke to believe there is still ample opportunity for the Giants and Bills to make a move – Bills general manager Brandon Beane worked under Gettleman in Carolina for a spell – and no one is convinced that the Bills are done wheeling and dealing.

"Brandon is trying like hell to get up and get a quarterback," said one general manager who has spoken to Beane recently. "I'm convinced he'll trade up twice more if he has to. It reminds me of (Eagles general manager) Howie (Roseman) a few years ago (when he was moving up to land Carson Wentz)."

Of course. Gettleman isn't interested in dropping all the way back to 12th overall, where the Bills currently sit after their trade with the Bengals. But if Beane can split the difference somewhat, then odds are quite good the Bills and Giants could be trade partners. If, say, the Broncos aren't convinced there is a quarterback worth taking at the fifth spot, that would be a perfect launching point for Beane. And that would be a sweetspot for Gettleman.

"If Beane gets the five, I know he can get to two," said the general manager who has been in contact with Beane.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Several general managers I spoke to believe there is still ample opportunity for the Giants and Bills to make a move – Bills general manager Brandon Beane worked under Gettleman in Carolina for a spell – and no one is convinced that the Bills are done wheeling and dealing.

"Brandon is trying like hell to get up and get a quarterback," said one general manager who has spoken to Beane recently. "I'm convinced he'll trade up twice more if he has to. It reminds me of (Eagles general manager) Howie (Roseman) a few years ago (when he was moving up to land Carson Wentz)."

Of course. Gettleman isn't interested in dropping all the way back to 12th overall, where the Bills currently sit after their trade with the Bengals. But if Beane can split the difference somewhat, then odds are quite good the Bills and Giants could be trade partners. If, say, the Broncos aren't convinced there is a quarterback worth taking at the fifth spot, that would be a perfect launching point for Beane. And that would be a sweetspot for Gettleman.

"If Beane gets the five, I know he can get to two," said the general manager who has been in contact with Beane.

If you get to #5 and trade up again the targets have to be Allen, Darnold, or Rosen.  I love Mayfield, but I can't imagine he is the target if the Bills are trying like hell to get to 2.

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

If you get to #5 and trade up again the targets have to be Allen, Darnold, or Rosen.  I love Mayfield, but I can't imagine he is the target if the Bills are trying like hell to get to 2.

I'm with you this. 

11 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Getting the sense that if Beane gets to five, he'll have a sort of comfort level taking Mayfield if they arent in fact able to get up any higher.

Like you said tho, you try to get to second overall for one of Darnold, Rosen or Allen.

4 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Getting the sense that if Beane gets to five, he'll have a sort of comfort level taking Mayfield if they arent in fact able to get up any higher.

Like you said tho, you try to get to second overall for one of Darnold, Rosen or Allen.

I will be very happy if they get to five and stop.   It will cost a whole hell of a lot to trade to #5 and then to trade again to #2.   In theory, the three trades you'd make to get you from #21 to #2 would have cost you the following:

From #21 to #12

Cordy Glenn and 1st #21

From #12 to #5

1st #12, 2nd #56, and 3rd #65

From #5 to #2

1st #5, 1st #22, and 3rd #96

And thats if they dont overpay on the value chart, which we all know is not likely.

25 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

My inference is they are doing extra homework on Baker to be sure they are comfortable "getting stuck with him" but are pursing #2.

I do have to wonder if Gettleman will decide we are the only realistic option for a trade out of #2 and instead of our picks getting devalued to an extent (paying a ~20% premium to get to ~5 then another ~20% premium from ~5 to 2) he just decides to take all the picks for himself. 

Personally I think that's the best route for the Giants to take, take all they can out of us and go from 2 to 12, then if a player you really want is in the 5-6-7-8 range and the price to move up is reasonable, move back up.

I wouldn't be pleased to give up next year's first, but as long as the target isn't Allen, I'd be happy with the result.  The fact is that QB is the most important position in football, and you likely will not win a superbowl without a franchise guy.  Do what you need to do to get the guy you think has the best chance to become that franchise guy for you.  Worry about the rest later.  As it is, this team is not bad enough to be a top ten pick next year, and the QB class is an unknown.  You have the extra ammunition to get there, so do it!

5 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

The Giants and Bills have something in common.  Both teams need a QB.  If I trade were to happen which team would be considered smart?  The team that either received or kept 3 first round picks or the team that got the QB?  

Giants still have Eli Manning, and could potentially either not like this crop of QBs or like someone they can get at 5, 12 or 22 or in the 2nd round to test out while they try to win with Eli.

Edited by What a Tuel

If any of these guys were considered can't miss like Peyton, Stafford, Cam or Ryan;  I would say 3 firsts would be justifiable.  Otherwise, let the draft come to you and see what's available in the 6-10 range.  C'mon, let's not be stupide with the risks.

5 won't happen.  Denver loves where they are picking and might have even traded up if they had a partner but I don't think they do unless Cleveland talks them into trading 1 spot up.  6 with the Colts probably isn't happening, the Colts were adamant about staying in the top 10.  the best bet is 7 with Tampa and I posted a thread on it with quotes from the GM saying he was in discussions to trade out of the spot.

Edited by kdiggz

16 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

image.thumb.png.2c3fe1d8f0045efd72274e105d45a2b5.png

If Denver doesn't want a QB (and doesn't want Barkley), I would think they should take our package and run.  Assuming the 4 QBs are off the board by 12, you are still looking at picking between two of Ward / Fitzpatrick / Nelson / Smith / Edmonds / James / Vea.  If they have 6 of those guys grouped together as a tier, it's way better to pick the last one out of the tier while picking up more draft picks, than to take the first one.

• Like (+1) 1

If I am Denver I do not make that trade unless I am getting both 12 and 22 from the Bills.

Then if I am the Giants, given what the Jets paid to go from 6 to 3, I would be looking for something similar from the Bills to go from 5 to 2. That probably means both 2's this year and #1 next year (given that the Bills' 2's are substantially later than the Jets').

So, that means 12, 22, 53, 56 AND the 2019 first rounder to move up to 2. That is a lot of premium picks.

Edited by 2003Contenders

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

If you think Mayfield is the top QB it makes perfect sense

13 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

5 won't happen.  Denver loves where they are picking and might have even traded up if they had a partner but I don't think they do unless Cleveland talks them into trading 1 spot up.  6 with the Colts probably isn't happening, the Colts were adamant about staying in the top 10.  the best bet is 7 with Tampa and I posted a thread on it with quotes from the GM saying he was in discussions to trade out of the spot.

Playing devil's advocate here.   If any of the quarterbacks are left at #7, why would you give up picks to move up when the next five picks arent necessarily quarterback needy teams?

The biggest threat at that point is Miami at #11 and I am not convinced they are as interested in taking a quarterback as they seem to be letting on in the press.    And even if you do believe they want to draft one, why not trade to #9, or #10 instead? 

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Playing devil's advocate here.   If any of the quarterbacks are left at #7, why would you give up picks to move up when the next five picks arent necessarily quarterback needy teams?

The biggest threat at that point is Miami at #11 and I am not convinced they are as interested in taking a quarterback as they seem to be letting on in the press.    And even if you do believe they want to draft one, why not trade to #9, or #10 instead? 

other teams can move up too.  my argument is that they need to get to 7 now so they have the option to trade up higher if they need to.  worst case you take the QB that's left at 7

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

other teams can move up too.  my argument is that they need to get to 7 now so they have the option to trade up higher if they need to.  worst case you take the QB that's left at 7

Right.  People have to be real naive to believe teams wouldn't be working hard to jump 12.  Just sitting at 12 isn't an option for QB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

25 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Once we get to 5 a lot of people here will calm the f down.

Will they? What if the draft goes Darnold, Rosen, and then Mayfield to the Jets?

Think anyone is going to be calm about sitting there at 5 waiting for Allen? Who actually wants Allen in Buffalo and then what if they get jumped at 4 by another desperate team.

So at that time the Bills would have given up multiple first round picks, A LT, and only received the 4th best QB available in the 18' draft. That's a steep price for a low floor high ceiling type of guy like Allen. 

IF three QBs come off the board in the first 3 picks I will not be excited at all sitting at 5.