Time for Beane to Call Gettleman - Beane Says the Bills Have the Capital to Get to #2

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not really. That's a tweet from almost two hours ago. 

It was just so coincidental - I had just saw it on twitter and was like oh it's not on TSW yet and boom there you are! I suppose I should be working though...

52 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

well I don't have twitter. but I don't mind one bit seeing it on here when it pertains to discussion.

I don't have twitter either and there is a good reason for it.   it's more often trash than not.  

Back on topic.  The Giants need this pick.  They are not giving it up to the Bills @ 12 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I think the Giants at 2 and Browns at 4 would be unwise to trade down, but I want them to. I think we'll trade into 6 if the Broncos pass on a QB. But yeah, eff the colts. 

Realistically if we walk out of the draft with one of the 4 top QBs and all we need to give up is 12 / 53 / 56 (and maybe getting back a ~4th), I'm VERY happy.  If our QB hits and the Jets doesn't it's even better.  It would be kind of funny to see the Colts pick 5 times in round 2 (plus again near the top of round 3).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NickelCity said:

I think the Giants at 2 and Browns at 4 would be unwise to trade down, but I want them to. I think we'll trade into 6 if the Broncos pass on a QB. But yeah, eff the colts. 

Don't think the Colts are trading #6 if Chubb is out there. 

Is Gettleman getting his fans ready for the trade down? That's what i  read out of this 

Guys, this is the second pick in the draft,” Gettleman said. “We really have to picture this guy putting on a gold jacket. Because if we can’t picture that, really .

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/27/dave-gettleman-seeking-generational-player-with-second-pick/

21 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Is Gettleman getting his fans ready for the trade down? That's what i  read out of this 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/27/dave-gettleman-seeking-generational-player-with-second-pick/

I read this more as BPA, but I see why you could take that away. Unfortunately (and I appreciate the article) it doesn't really move the excitement needle

THE DEBRIEF
Smoke Screen Alert! What to Believe
Gregg Rosenthal attempts to see through the smoke screens after coaches, GMs and owners addressed the media at the NFL Annual League Meeting. Here's what he says you can believe, and what you can't trust.

Bills GM Brandon Beane on potentially trading up: "I know that's the speculation. ... We really have a lot of discussions with a lot of teams about all sorts of things. ... Right now, we're just focused on 12. We're excited. Excited to be at 12, and I think we're going to get a really good player there."

No one expects that the Bills will ultimately pick at No. 12 overall when the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft actually arrives on April 26. Armed with a raft of draft picks and a burning need at quarterback, Buffalo could be in no man's land, with so many teams at the top of the draft also searching for a signal-caller. Maccagnan strangely admitted this week that the Jets didn't attempt to trade up to the No. 2 overall pick with the Giants, allowing a team like the Bills, Broncos (who pick at No. 5) or Dolphins(No. 11) to possibly move up to the position that Giants GM Dave Gettleman currently owns.

The top four quarterbacks in this class are expected to go quickly, possibly within the first five picks. The subterfuge and strategy that will play out in the meantime will be the most fascinating subplot of the coming month. The biggest shock would be if teams like the Bills didn't aggressively move up to draft their guy, which is why Beane's comment can't be taken too seriously.

Maccagnan strangely admitted this week that the Jets didn't attempt to trade up to the No. 2 overall pick with the Giants, allowing a team like the Bills, Broncos (who pick at No. 5) or Dolphins(No. 11) to possibly move up to the position that Giants GM Dave Gettleman currently owns.

That is what truly never made too much sense to me.  Why would you trade for the #3 spot so far away from the draft when there are two other teams that could target your guy?

The only way this makes any sense is if they value the top 3 guys to be very similar with near equal chances of being franchise QB's.   Which that in itself doesn't make too much sense to me either if I were in the shoes of an NFL QB prospect evaluator.   But who knows?

2018 NFL Draft: Bills GM would trade 2019 1st round pick to move up

“We’ll do anything we can to make our roster better. I’m not locked in that I would or I wouldn’t. It would have to make sense and be a player that we really felt strongly about to do that.”

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/26/2018-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-2019-first-round-pick/

Giants Approach with 2nd Pick

Posted by Chris Brown on March 28, 2018 – 3:14 pm 

NY Giants GM Dave Gettleman has a pretty pivotal pick in the 2018 NFL draft with the second selection overall. He’s said he’s open for business, but the general consensus is if Gettleman does trade out of the second pick, he doesn’t want to move down much. Gettleman appeared on the Adam Schefter podcast this week and explained how he’ll look at pick two overall if he in fact makes his pick there.

Gettleman referenced the time when he was a scouting intern with the Bills under GM Bill Polian and how it has influenced him as a GM making draft choices.

see the thread on the Bucs GM willing to deal at pick 7.  give them 12 and 56 for the 7th pick and then from there I think the Giants are more likely to listen to offers knowing they only fall back to 7 and can still most likely get one of the top 3 positional players

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

see the thread on the Bucs GM willing to deal at pick 7.  give them 12 and 56 for the 7th pick and then from there I think the Giants are more likely to listen to offers knowing they only fall back to 7 and can still most likely get one of the top 3 positional players

Bucs and Giants just made a deal a week ago so they obviously have a working relationship.  Get Beane, Gettleman & Licht in a room.  Give the ransom to Gettleman, Licht gets a nice little bonus to move from 7 to 12, Giants get Nelson or Fitzpatrick as a worst case scenario and are in position for a slight move up for Barkley or Chubb.

Edited by Chuck Wagon
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Magox said:

That is what truly never made too much sense to me.  Why would you trade for the #3 spot so far away from the draft when there are two other teams that could target your guy?

The only way this makes any sense is if they value the top 3 guys to be very similar with near equal chances of being franchise QB's.   Which that in itself doesn't make too much sense to me either if I were in the shoes of an NFL QB prospect evaluator.   But who knows?

I'll try to find the link but Bowles said they like about 6 or 7 guys at #3

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/75427/smokescreen-or-faulty-strategy-jets-todd-bowles-discusses-no-3-pick\

"We have about six or seven of them on our list that we kind of like," he said. "We have a good idea who will be there. As we get closer to the draft, we’ll zero in and try to narrow it down a little bit"

Sounds kinda silly to me but what do I know?

Edited by CNY315

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

If they traded down with us AND traded Odell they could have a staggering amount of draft picks.  

Just saw that - it would be a staggering way to rebuild their team...as long as we got #2 of course!

IF the Bills move up to #2 you can pretty much count on 3 QBs and Barkley coming off the board in the 1st 4 picks.

Then, either Denver takes a QB or there is a  frantic bidding war to get that pick in a trade, which means another QB.

So we get to pick #6 with Barkley and 4 QBs off the board. Pretty much the entire non-QB draft is still sitting there at #6.

They could probably use some of that capital to move up themselves with the Colts at #6 or anywhere between #7 and #10, depending on how the draft goes.

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The have to decide if they are in rebuild or win now mode. 

I think it's more of a 1) "how committed are we to Eli" and 2) are Chubb or Barkley the "hall of fame" talents Gettleman keeps quoting?

If the answer is no to both questions, then I think you hold the pick ransom for the most possible you can return.  Is Chubb worth Edmonds + potentially a high pick in 2019 that could be a player like Bosa / Oliver / Gary + potentially #22 / and 2 (if not 3) of 53-56-65?  Is Barkley worth an impact player at 12 + Guice + a 2019 1st + 2-3 more picks?  

If you decide one of the QBs can handle a seamless handoff from Eli, by all means no package is worth moving out.  But if you decide Eli has 3 more years and you still believe in Davis Webb, it's tough to say any 1 position player is worth all you can get.

Is Cleveland going to make him the NFL's highest paid player? Because he's not stepping on the field otherwise. Any trade needs to come with a long term contract ready to be signed

Edited by kdiggz
  • Like (+1) 1