Time for Beane to Call Gettleman - Beane Says the Bills Have the Capital to Get to #2

So who could benefit from the Giants’ flexibility at No. 2?

There are several teams that could move up in the draft to target a top-tier quarterback. The Jets just paid handsomely to move to No. 3, but a second swap to move up one more spot would ensure, at worst, they get their second choice of quarterbacks. Unfortunately for New York’s other team, they’ve got a limited amount of draft capital left after dealing with the Colts and have several roster holes to fill. Another move may not be worth the cost.

Buffalo, on the other hand, has more urgency to make a deal and better assets with which to do it. The Bills, in one final act of spite, shipped former Pro Bowl quarterback Tyrod Taylor to Cleveland for a third-round pick earlier this offseason. That leaves their offense in the hands of Nathan Peterman — best known for his 5-of-14 performance in a midseason start against the Chargers (the five, in this case, stands for passes thrown to Los Angeles defenders) — and AJ McCarron, so lightly regarded as a quarterback he got a two-year, $10 million deal with Buffalo one season after creaking plaster sculpture Mike Glennon signed a three-year, $48 million pact with the Bears.

That pairing might work out, but it’s much more likely it will not. Fortunately, last year’s Patrick Mahomes deal with Kansas City gives Buffalo the 22nd pick in this year’s draft, and the team was able to upgrade from 21st to 12th by trading tackle Cordy Glenn to the Bengals. That gives the Bills two 2018 first-rounders they can ship to the Giants, along with two second- and two third-round picks to sweeten the pot. If New York wants to add a lot of young talent quickly, Buffalo is its best option.

On 3/21/2018 at 9:20 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

What about a trade down? The notion “quarterback or else they must trade out” is not flying with the Giants. Again, go back to Gettleman, who stressed, “You can’t get too cute” here. You see a player with the potential for greatness, you take him. Now, if the Giants get blown away by the Broncos (sitting at No. 5), do they move down? They definitely would consider it, especially if at No. 5 they can get Nelson. Sliding all the way down in a deal with the Bills could bring back No. 12 and 22 in the first round and, in the second round, the 53rd and 65th overall picks, plus a 2019 second-round pick. It is believed Gettleman would hold out for more — the Bills would have to include their 2019 first-round pick. That is a bounty the Giants would have to consider, but the smart money is on them staying put and taking a player they see greatness in.

Reading the tea leaves: Has any Giants move to this point indicated anything other than all-in on winning now? They put their faith in a quarterback entering his 15th season. They made a left tackle (Nate Solder), who will be 30 before he ever dons a Giants uniform and has never been named to a Pro Bowl, the league’s highest-paid offensive lineman. They signed Jonathan Stewart, a running back with too much tread on his tires — he turns 31 on Wednesday — to mentor the room (hello, Saquon) and get the tough yards. A rookie quarterback needing a few years to develop does not seem to fit.

3-23: Paul Schwartz of the NY Post with Howard and Jeremy on the Giants' Draft Plans (9:59)

10 minutes ago, Badanswer said:

Haven't seen anyone mention a possible move up with 22nd pick, a player or pick to get another pick closer to top 10 then maybe that looks better to Giants?

Giants either have to decide to pass on their few blue chippers in Chubb, Barkley & Nelson and decide that they are okay with taking the next best. I am not sure moving up from 22 to 11 or 13 will help that much. Most likely have to go between 4-6 imo, with 7 being a little too low. Ideally moving to 4 would be ideal and then swapping with NYG

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

So who could benefit from the Giants’ flexibility at No. 2?

There are several teams that could move up in the draft to target a top-tier quarterback. The Jets just paid handsomely to move to No. 3, but a second swap to move up one more spot would ensure, at worst, they get their second choice of quarterbacks. Unfortunately for New York’s other team, they’ve got a limited amount of draft capital left after dealing with the Colts and have several roster holes to fill. Another move may not be worth the cost.

Buffalo, on the other hand, has more urgency to make a deal and better assets with which to do it. The Bills, in one final act of spite, shipped former Pro Bowl quarterback Tyrod Taylor to Cleveland for a third-round pick earlier this offseason. That leaves their offense in the hands of Nathan Peterman — best known for his 5-of-14 performance in a midseason start against the Chargers (the five, in this case, stands for passes thrown to Los Angeles defenders) — and AJ McCarron, so lightly regarded as a quarterback he got a two-year, $10 million deal with Buffalo one season after creaking plaster sculpture Mike Glennon signed a three-year, $48 million pact with the Bears.

That pairing might work out, but it’s much more likely it will not. Fortunately, last year’s Patrick Mahomes deal with Kansas City gives Buffalo the 22nd pick in this year’s draft, and the team was able to upgrade from 21st to 12th by trading tackle Cordy Glenn to the Bengals. That gives the Bills two 2018 first-rounders they can ship to the Giants, along with two second- and two third-round picks to sweeten the pot. If New York wants to add a lot of young talent quickly, Buffalo is its best option.

6 high picks?!?!?!?!  HELL NO!!!!!!!!  I've dealt with losing... it sucks, but one more year of if won't kill me!  Give me all those picks to fill holes.  Let AJ do his thing, go 5-11 and be in position to grab a QB next year if need be.  This **** is getting ridiculous! 

1 hour ago, McD said:

6 high picks?!?!?!?!  HELL NO!!!!!!!!  I've dealt with losing... it sucks, but one more year of if won't kill me!  Give me all those picks to fill holes.  Let AJ do his thing, go 5-11 and be in position to grab a QB next year if need be.  This **** is getting ridiculous! 

I really wonder when Bills fans are going to step off the ledge, (not referring to you specifically). It's become second nature to just assume we're gonna suck. Look what we did last year with cast offs. Hyde was underrated, Poyer was unheard of, Deonte Thompson (WHO?) I believe in McD and Beane, they're incredible talent evaluators and are not gonna mortgage the Bills future. Keep the damn picks and stock this team with young talent for years to come. Give AJ the keys. We literally just did more with less. We all need to have some faith, these aren't the Bills of old.

1 minute ago, Eric Moulds on my A** said:

I really wonder when Bills fans are going to step off the ledge, (not referring to you specifically). It's become second nature to just assume we're gonna suck. Look what we did last year with cast offs. Hyde was underrated, Poyer was unheard of, Deonte Thompson (WHO?) I believe in McD and Beane, they're incredible talent evaluators and are not gonna mortgage the Bills future. Keep the damn picks and stock this team with young talent for years to come. Give AJ the keys. We literally just did more with less. We all need to have some faith, these aren't the Bills of old.

McCarron is a bridge/caretaker to keep the seat warm. This is exactly why Beane is doing everything he can to position the team such that they can draft a franchise QB with a trade up.  He has said on multiple occasions that it all starts with the QB. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

McCarron is a bridge/caretaker to keep the seat warm. This is exactly why Beane is doing everything he can to position the team such that they can draft a franchise QB with a trade up.  He has said on multiple occasions that it all starts with the QB. 

Did you believe that Tyrod would get us to the playoffs? In my opinion AJ is a better QB than Tyrod. So how can you state that AJ is in FACT only the bridge when he hasn't had the chance to compete in camp. We stay at 12 we can still get a promising QB prospect. Ya can't just state these assumptions as facts. You have no idea what Beane and McD's plan is. I respect your opinion but it is just that... an opinion.

1 hour ago, McD said:

You say give AJ the keys and go 5-11 and get a qb next year?  Isn’t that what we did last year?  Ride out the season and go get a qb this year.  That’s always the plan it seems, but it never happens.  If we can’t jump on it this year, when will we, or why would next year be the better time?  I’m so confused by this logic.  Next year is always the time, until next year gets here.  

This is the year to grab a qb.  AJ should get a chance to start, and if he does well, we have a Bradford with philly situation.  If a rookie starts, it means he was better than AJ.  To me, grab a qb and it’s win win.  If they both suck, then so be it but we tried.  But if we stay at 12 and 22, and draft a LB and WR, and they both suck, then what?  And what makes next years crop of QBs worth waiting for?  I don’t follow college closely, but I haven’t seen anything to suggest we should wait.  Between the FAs and rookies this year, it was the year to swing.  We didn’t take a big swing on the FAs, so I think we can assume we are swinging for the draft.  I hope it works out.  We’ll see soon enough.  

Just now, Eric Moulds on my A** said:

Did you believe that Tyrod would get us to the playoffs? In my opinion AJ is a better QB than Tyrod. So how can you state that AJ is in FACT only the bridge when he hasn't had the chance to compete in camp. We stay at 12 we can still get a promising QB prospect. Ya can't just state these assumptions as facts. You have no idea what Beane and McD's plan is. I respect your opinion but it is just that... an opinion.

Believe what ever you like, but there's no evidence to support your case.    As I have posted before, McCarron played with AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, and Tyler Eifert and he didn't exactly light it up in CIN.   He played just okay with outstanding talent around him.  As for turning over the keys as you posted, it sure doesn't look that way. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/21/2018 at 8:08 PM, horned dogs said:

I'm highly in favor of moving up. Having said that I wish I could share the optimism. I don't right now because I think there are too many moving parts at the top and I'm not seeing it add up in the Bills favor. I think #12 is a big problem for the Bills to overcome because people don't want to trade down that far.

yup - we shall see, but my concern is that this draft is about 8-10 deep in elite players. The difference between 12 and 22 is pretty negligible, and we actually have evidence for this: the Bengals traded down from 12 to 21 for hope-and-a-prayer player (Glenn, given his injuries). That tells you all you need to know about the depth of elite players in this draft. 

8 minutes ago, Eric Moulds on my A** said:

Taylor, who is limited, is a better player than McCarron. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Eric Moulds on my A** said:

I think we beat Jacksonville in that playoff game if McCarron is QB. Every player on the Bills were giving so much effort in that game. I'm not saying Taylor didn't put in the same effort just that he lacks the ability to carry a team with his passing ability.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Eric Moulds on my A** said:

But that is the disconnect. You say go 5-11 and get a qb next year... but that's just kicking the can again! IF they love a guy this year, get him bc if he busts at least they go down knowing they got their guy. If they defer to next year and are in an EJ situation with both the class AND HAVING to draft a qb that isn't their guy.. that is a good way to fail and get fired as well. They seem to want to get their guy.  They can pick leftovers this year a la jp, or pick a not as talented prospect next year a la EJ. OOORRRRR if they like a guy they can grab the bull by the horns and get their guy via a trade up. No idea which route will be taken but when reading tea leaves they all seem to point to a jump.

59 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

But that is the disconnect. You say go 5-11 and get a qb next year... but that's just kicking the can again! IF they love a guy this year, get him bc if he busts at least they go down knowing they got their guy. If they defer to next year and are in an EJ situation with both the class AND HAVING to draft a qb that isn't their guy.. that is a good way to fail and get fired as well. They seem to want to get their guy.  They can pick leftovers this year a la jp, or pick a not as talented prospect next year a la EJ. OOORRRRR if they like a guy they can grab the bull by the horns and get their guy via a trade up. No idea which route will be taken but when reading tea leaves they all seem to point to a jump.

The tea leafs definitely spelt this out until the Jets made the move to 3. Now it's anyone's guess.

Im higher on Lamer Jackson than most and odds are he is there at 12. Which is why I wanna stay put.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Believe what ever you like, but there's no evidence to support your case.    As I have posted before, McCarron played with AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, and Tyler Eifert and he didn't exactly light it up in CIN.   He played just okay with outstanding talent around him.  As for turning over the keys as you posted, it sure doesn't look that way. 

Dalton has had some great seasons until playoffs. Works with the 1's every day. McCarron hadn't developed that chemistry and still was a fumble away from a playoff win against the Steelers. So the evidence AGAINST McCarron isn't there either. I get what you're saying but winning 2 Nationals Championships has to carry some weight, right? I feel bad for AJ, he's the Rodney dangerfield of QB's. Maybe he will finally get some respect after we make the playoffs with him slinging the pig skin.

Edited by Eric Moulds on my A**

10 minutes ago, Eric Moulds on my A** said:

The tea leafs definitely spelt this out until the Jets made the move to 3. Now it's anyone's guess.

Im higher on Lamer Jackson than most and odds are he is there at 12. Which is why I wanna stay put.

Dalton has had some great seasons until playoffs. Works with the 1's every day. McCarron hadn't developed that chemistry and still was a fumble away from a playoff win against the Steelers. So the evidence AGAINST McCarron isn't there either. I get what you're saying but winning 2 Nationals Championships has to carry some weight, right? I feel bad for AJ, he's the Rodney dangerfield of QB's. Maybe he will finally get some respect after we make the playoffs with him slinging the pig skin.

Doesn't mean jack to me just as Tebow, Jason White, or Gino Torretta winning a National Championship doesn't.

1 hour ago, Eric Moulds on my A** said:

The ONLY thing that has changed is no counter move has been made. Everything else remains the same. No other bigger dollar commitment has been made to a qb etc. Time does seem to do funny things to the mind though... some folks now want more added to a package, some folks now would rather they stay pat...just bc of time

5 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

The ONLY thing that has changed is no counter move has been made. Everything else remains the same. No other bigger dollar commitment has been made to a qb etc. Time does seem to do funny things to the mind though... some folks now want more added to a package, some folks now would rather they stay pat...just bc of time

I like us at 12, am rarely interested in putting all our chips on the table for 1 guy, regardless of the prospect or position. I'd further like to take the BPA that fits our needs... IDC what position that is. QB is such a question mark and the cost would be steep to move to 2. Its such a risk for an uncertain outcome. None of these guys (Rosen, Darnold, Allen) are remotely close to sure things. Ik, Ik, nothing ever is a sure thing but are they THAT much better a prospect than L. Jackson or Rudolph or Mayfield... whoever falls to 12. I don't believe so.

But what am I? Just a bum who loves the Bills. Counting down the days to this draft though, more so than most years.

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

This is killing me; I hope we can get this wrapped up this week...

Get what wrapped up. Unless we can guarantee they get Chubb, they ain't trading. We would need to go to 4 first and then to 2 and I don't know if that happens before the draft day. 

Giants have so many holes to fill they'd be wise to pick up the extra draft picks; and judging by the way Mara's been talking about OBJ, there's no guarantee that he'll be re-signed. DE, LB, RB, OT, OG, WR, CB are all needs they need to fill before they even think about taking a QB IMO. They've lost so many pieces this offseason. JPP, DRC, Justin Pugh, were all key pieces. 

I think this deal gets done on draft day.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

41 minutes ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Bills have so many holes to fill they'd be wise to use all of their draft picks; and judging by the way Mara's been talking about OBJ, there's no guarantee that he'll be re-signed. DE, LB, RB, OT, OG, WR, CB are all needs they need to fill before they even think about taking a QB IMO. They've lost so many pieces this offseason. JPP, DRC, Justin Pugh, were all key pieces. 

I think this deal gets done on draft day.

FIFY