Jets just traded with Colts for #3 pick in first round

5 minutes ago, billykay said:

3 - 2nds for their guy. Doesn't seem like a heck of a lot to me.

No, it is not too much if they get their guy and their top graded guy.  But, trading up to #3 (IMO) suggests they like TWO guys.  That is my first thought without diving in too much.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

College and graduate level statistics.  That may have been an outlier but may also signal an emerging trend.

Stats also say about 50% of high pick QBs don't work out.

I agree with the latter, it is a risk. I'm willing to take it though. I've heard this emerging trend theory, I don't really put much stock in it. I think coaches are finding ways to maintain a level of success with lesser QBs, but still at the end of the day, the guy who can make the throws and not have to be given reads 1,2,3 and think for himself is winning more often than not.

If you say 50% of first round QBs are a bust and that's why I don't want to trade up, I respect that more than Foles, Keenum, and Bortles were in the championship games. 

4 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

Not when that 1 pick could be your franchise qb.

They have no supporting cast though, a rookie going to the Jets is entering a very volatile situation. Football is a team sport, we would be better off with Mason Rudolph at 21 and still having 5 other picks to spend in RDS 1-3.

7 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I didn't read any of that.

All I took away is your an ass for using a font that big. Like the rest of us are simple and just going to read it because of BIG LETTERS!!

I CAN'T IGNORE THE CAPS OR THE BIG LETTERS!!! THEY MAKE ALL MY STUPID POINTS BETTER!!! 

for !@#$s sake man.

Then you missed a really thorough well considered post.  Facts are stubborn things but I've already pointed that out to you

18 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Let's remember Allen is the rumored #2 QB in the draft. 

#1 Darnold 

#2 Non QB

#3 Allen

#4 Bills trade up for Rosen 

:D

1) Darnold

2) Giants stay at 2 and take Rosen

3) Allen

4) Broncos move up 1 spot and take Baker, Browns get the exact same player they were going to get plus more picks

We're left with Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph being over drafted and the same Bills garbage all over again.  That's the much more likely scenario until a trade for 2 is completed.  No way the Giants pick a non-QB at 2, someone will pay for the pick or they just take a QB of their own.

3 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

True but they own 3. What if they are fine 3 prospects and now guaranteed to land one. I'm sure Jets fans are happy right now. They have to much cap to address their lost 2nd rd picks.

I agree with you on that and I'm guessing the jets have 3 guys they like and are fine with any of them

Its an exciting day to be a jets fan

• Like (+1) 1

All this hoopla for 4 qbs.... none ....none....of which has shown to be a sure fire hit.....in fact the odds of even 2/4 of them becoming elite qbs are long....helll there hasn’t been a concensus number one....when a guy - Allen - who has started 20 games in a crap conference with a 55 percent completion rate is projected by some to be #1 pick........All these guys are a reach and the odds suck

Edited by baskin

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Then you missed a really thorough well considered post.  Facts are stubborn things but I've already pointed that out to you

It's clear you don't like me. I tried to talk to you, but at this point it seems it won't happen. 

!@#$ off and put me on ignore. I don't care.

Just now, /dev/null said:

Ooooh ooooh oooooh Mr Kotter!!!  Mr Kotter!!!

YIsBXM.gif

Can we trade for Christian Hackeberg now! :nana:

Kidding, I'm kidding.  Please don't start throwing stuff at me :P

I've never seen Hackenburg and Allen together in the same room and neither have you. :ph34r:

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, NewDayBills said:

They have no supporting cast though, a rookie going to the Jets is entering a very volatile situation. Football is a team sport, we would be better off with Mason Rudolph at 21 and still having 5 other picks to spend in RDS 1-3.

It's not about next year.  It's about the years coming.  Get your qb when you can then build the team around him.  Just look at teams with great rosters and not so great QB play.  They usually don't do all that well.  Now if you have great QB play and not so great of a roster anything is possible.

22 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Actually if Gettleman wants Nelson, we could slide to 6 or 7 and give him that pick. This actually makes it easier for the Giants to slide down the board and get Nelson, who I think is their target....

The only way I see us getting to #2 is basically a 3 team trade where the Giants fall to #4 / #6 / #7 and we basically pay for 2 moves up the board.  I don't think the Giants are going to punt out of the tier of prospects they are looking at with #2 all the way down to #12, and I think it's too risky for us to do in two separate transactions.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I agree with the latter, it is a risk. I'm willing to take it though. I've heard this emerging trend theory, I don't really put much stock in it. I think coaches are finding ways to maintain a level of success with lesser QBs, but still at the end of the day, the guy who can make the throws and not have to be given reads 1,2,3 and think for himself is winning more often than not.

If you say 50% of first round QBs are a bust and that's why I don't want to trade up, I respect that more than Foles, Keenum, and Bortles were in the championship games. 

I really do see a trend coming though.  There are so many guys coming out where their game and the pro game don't mesh.  So you need really good coaching to maximize what you get at the QB spot and a balance in all areas.

To me Daboll is more important than which QB we draft.

Jets way over paid so hope that beene doesnt.  Per value chart

#3= 2200  jets gave up #6=1600

#37=530

#49=410

2019 2nd=380 (avg)

total = 2920

I know its just a chart but still gives you a reference point.  Giants must not want to move from number 2 until draft day to see if browns take barkley or not.  I think that would have been enuf ammo for giants to move back to 6.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I really do see a trend coming though.  There are so many guys coming out where their game and the pro game don't mesh.  So you need really good coaching to maximize what you get at the QB spot and a balance in all areas.

To me Daboll is more important than which QB we draft.

Don't care. You've lost any interest in me having a conversation with you.

It's not worth it.

2 minutes ago, baskin said:

All this hoopla for 4 qbs.... none ....none....of which has shown to be a sure fire hit.....in fact the odds of even 2/4 of them becoming elite qbs are long....helll there hasn’t been a concensus number one....when a guy - Allen - who has started 20 games in a crap conference with a 55 percent completion rate is projected by some to be #1 pick........All these guys are a reach and the odds suck

.take the guy that comes with a warranty, money back guarantee and return of your draft pick if he busts......simple.....

1 minute ago, Ol Dirty B said:

It's clear you don't like me. I tried to talk to you, but at this point it seems it won't happen. 

!@#$ off and put me on ignore. I don't care.

Not at all.  See my next post.  Happy to debate but if you're going to get offended and use cursing and stuff it's more your issue.

22 minutes ago, jtrip said:

Mark my words:  Bills will move to 2nd before the draft and on draft day swap with Cleveland.  Bills get the #1 QB and Cleveland takes the RB. End of story.  Thank me later !

If we do this it's stupid.   We don't know the difference between the 1st and 5th best qbs in this draft more than we knew Brady would be the goat.  That move would cost us everything this draft and some in next. 

I'm fine with rolling dice in who drops out of top 10.  

• Like (+1) 1

This is why I started the thread wondering why people thought teams were just going to stand by helplessly as the Bills tried to climb over them.:lol:

First crisis for Beane as GM.   Intrigue.   Competition between division rivals.  Love it. :devil:

Been very easy selling the fan base on controversial moves to this point.......they've all been propped up and qualified with the notion that they are going to lead to the Bills getting their franchise QB in the draft.

But with McD having passed on Watson and Mahomes last year.........Beane is really in a must-score situation wrt drafting a top QB prospect for his HC.

I know there are a few screwballs on here who think otherwise..........there have always been a group that always want to kick the can down the road..........but the time is now.

Luckily the Giants pick is still potentially available.   That was always the big edge the Bills have had.......the Jets are most desperate for a QB and the Giants simply can't trade with their in-stadium rival.

Bills might have to climb to Tampa's pick........then climb again to #2..........but they can do it.

If they take their shot and miss..........it won't be pretty but the fanbase and ownership will be somewhat understanding and if they can withstand that and maintain some level of competitiveness they might get another kick at it in 2020.............but if they pull a Donahoe and get a guy outside of the premium group(top 4 or 5 this year).......and that kid misses and they don't WIN.........no forgiveness!  Someone else gets to draft and develop the 2020 draft QB.

This is the way it should be!   I never wanted #3 in the first place.  Earn it Bills!:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Zebrastripes said:

It's not about next year.  It's about the years coming.  Get your qb when you can then build the team around him.  Just look at teams with great rosters and not so great QB play.  They usually don't do all that well.  Now if you have great QB play and not so great of a roster anything is possible.

Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger immediately come to mind as far as great QBs that were guided along by strong rosters during the developmental phases of their careers early on. Nick Foles and Case Keenum benefitted from strong rosters around them last year and did awesome as well.

4 minutes ago, baskin said:

Is this the part where we try to convince ourselves none of these guys are worth trading up for since another team beat us to it?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Actually the fail is, thinking that you can consistently win without a QB and building a team to prop him up....results - see the last 15 years

And chances are they’d have gotten the guy they wanted at 6 anyway. This was a precautionary move to prevent someone from trading ahead of them at 4 or 5.

I doubt the Giants, Colts, Broncos are taking QB’s that high. Some team out of the top 10 could have moved up.

Jets gave up a lot to potentially maybe stop a team from taking their guy.