Number 1 WR Jordan Matthews Still Looking for a Job

5 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Come on, man.  Don't give up on Zay after his rookie season.

I’m not giving up on Zay. I liked the pick a lot. At this point though I would give Zay up for Ju-Ju without blinking. He would have certainly been a better choice. The Bills don’t have anybody (but Shady) capable of making this play (Pittsbugh has about 5 guys that can):

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not giving up on Zay. I liked the pick a lot. At this point though I would give Zay up for Ju-Ju without blinking. He would have certainly been a better choice. The Bills don’t have anybody (but Shady) capable of making this play (Pittsbugh has about 5 guys that can):

No arguments there.  Not sure if they knew then that they were going to part with Sammy.

The Steelers draft WRs as well as the Bills draft RBs.  They have quite a track record.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Bad players don't put up these types of numbers.  He just needs to be in the right offense.  That's the coach's job.

Screenshot_20180320-180702.jpg

Never once said he was bad.

Hes just not a number 1 receiver and I think a lot of us including the Bills over valued him before the year 

7 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

No arguments there.  Not sure if they knew then that they were going to part with Sammy.

The Steelers draft WRs as well as the Bills draft RBs.  They have quite a track record.

That’s what my issue was with dumping Sammy. They underrated the value of him on the field. That’s the past though.

When I think of that play specifically I think “who on the Bills could do that?” You need that answer to be about 3-4 different guys. In the Bills case it is Shady. 

That is why the WR group is not good. Outside of Benjamin’s contested catches they don’t do anything to help the team. They don’t have good route runners, they are terribly slow, don’t catch very well and teams can load the box. It is a massive area of need.

The odd thing is that Carolina has always undervalued the position. They favored guys like Funchess and Benjamin over more explosive guys. That is not the philosophy that I believe in. I think that you need to make explosive plays. Benjamin is a fine NFL player but he needs a playmaker on the other side of at least his quality.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Captain Murica said:

Doubt he'll even consider coming back here and I don't think the FO/Coaches really want him back due to the price he is probably commanding. Plus, I'm pretty sure we have enough possession wide receivers on the roster already. They rather have the cheaper option in Zay to play the slot. 

Why? Are they planning on picking a QB who cannot throw over the middle?

I really hope Jay's issue was the coach for if he had a bad shoulder which was not reported in injury reports I think maybe he just cannot handle NFL speed.  He had plenty of chances to catch ball even with QBs from last year.

1 hour ago, Clyde Smith said:

You all forgot we had a Qb that refused to throw to the open receivers, IJS.

That is right, no WRs actually caught balls.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Matthews is a good guy and when healthy he is a good 3rd receiver for a team.

He definitely is no number one receiver.

Seems as though he and Sammy do have something in common after all.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He stinks and the market is proving that true. The Eagles had him as 4 on their depth chart and threw him in on the trade. He can’t separate at all.

Remember when people here thought he was an “upgrade to Sammy?” One guy got 3 years $48M with $30M guaranteed and the other guy is sitting out there probably staring at a vet minimum deal. I guess NFL GMs are smarter than TBD. 

Good points

9 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I'd take him back. Not great  but better than what we have except KB and better than we're liable to get.

I think that the Bills should consider upping their offer for him, he has had 1 free agency visit to the Cardinals and nothing else activity wise. I think that considering the fact that even before the incident Zay was a questionable player to count on an upgrade at WR is a huge need. 

On 3/20/2018 at 4:08 PM, Coach Tuesday said:

I was just gonna say - it would be fun to dig up the trade thread.  So many idiots here were proclaiming that Matthews was a true #1, better than Sammy, etc., and sneering at those of us who questioned it...

It was the production, Coach.  Look at the PRODUCTION!!!!   Never mind that Matthews is dragging an old tire and prone to dropsies.  

That thread was priceless.

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Matthews is a solid player but this team needs a true number 1 opposite of Benjamin.  A player that can stretch the field and and play wideout.  Zay is our slot guy.

We need a #1 AND a slot guy...  Zay is only good when he's butt-naked, and matched-up against his brother.

Mathews is now feeling the Tyrod affect in FA. Only playing in 10 games last year does not help either due to injuries. Even in the games played he had less than 3 receptions on average.

Same applies to Benj who only had 16 catches over 6 games. Luckily he has another year to prove himself before FA with a different QB.

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

Mathews is now feeling the Tyrod affect in FA. Only playing in 10 games last year does not help either due to injuries. Even in the games played he had less than 3 receptions on average.

Same applies to Benj who only had 16 catches over 6 games. Luckily he has another year to prove himself before FA with a different QB.

2 minutes ago, Finkle Is Einhorn said:

Thats what happens when u spend a year in WR purgatory

#ThanksTyrod

Yeah, it really hurt Woods, Watkins, Goodwin and Hogan as well. Those guys all signed at the beginning of FA (except Watkins who was traded) and were paid above their projected market value.

Matthews isn’t signed because he’s not a good player. He has no skills that differeniate him. He’d be smart to go to GB on a cheap “prove-it” deal and hope Aaron Rodgers can make him look better than he is. As of right now though the league is speaking pretty loudly on their thoughts regarding him. Remember, a year ago the Eagles were trying to give him away as he was 4th on their depth chart. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

Wait until Landry and Josh Gordon get a taste of it. Landry will be going from 100 catches a year to watching Tyrod bounce around like Micheal Jackson for 8 sec, only to dump it to a for 2 yds on 3rd and 11.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Pretty sure you were one of the posters promising that his production would be equal to or better than Sammy’s...

I may have said that; and I certainly believe you if you're saying that I did.  However, I have also stated that Sammy was not the best receiver on the Bills (Woods was); nor was he with the Rams; nor will he be with the Chiefs.

On 3/16/2018 at 6:44 PM, Boyst62 said:

Probably just sight seeing. Because he is garbage.

clearly hes garbage,  i mean he came to a team with a QB who couldnt throw the ball.

every WR that left this team in the last 3 years has been successful elsewhere,  must be the garbage recievers fault

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

clearly hes garbage,  i mean he came to a team with a QB who couldnt throw the ball.

every WR that left this team in the last 3 years has been successful elsewhere,  must be the garbage recievers fault

Sammy says ? ??????????

59 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, it really hurt Woods, Watkins, Goodwin and Hogan as well. Those guys all signed at the beginning of FA (except Watkins who was traded) and were paid above their projected market value.

Matthews isn’t signed because he’s not a good player. He has no skills that differeniate him. He’d be smart to go to GB on a cheap “prove-it” deal and hope Aaron Rodgers can make him look better than he is. As of right now though the league is speaking pretty loudly on their thoughts regarding him. Remember, a year ago the Eagles were trying to give him away as he was 4th on their depth chart. 

And immediately after woods, goodwin, and Hogan left Buffalo they put up way better numbers.   I'm not saying Matthews is a top-tier wide receiver but he had decent production with Philadelphia before coming to Buffalo. 

Edited by Finkle Is Einhorn
  • Thank you (+1) 1