Jags release RB Chris Ivory - Update! Visited Bills 2/26

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, billieve420 said:

Everything in life is a crap shoot. I have no problem with the Bills meeting with Ivory seeing what his interest is, potential roles, contract #'s etc... For me he is a guy I can wait to sign until after the draft and I have a better idea what remaining holes need to be filled. If not I am sure there will be post June 1st cuts with other RBs available. We picked up both Jones and Cadet late who both did a decent job.

I agree with that.  I just made a comment that I think there are better odds (or teams can leverage their odds better) in the draft than a coin flip.

However, since you brought up the thought of signing Ivory.  Depends how the contract is structured.  If it doesn't effect the cap and it really barely does on a one year deal.

Lots of depth players get signed and then cut before the end of camp. 

Essentially signing a vet like Ivory to a one year deal if cut before camp would leave us taking a cap hit for the signing bonus and paying out the signing bonus.

Let's call the signing bonus $300K.  We take a cap hit for $300K, the owner pays out $300K and we have secured Ivory as our depth.  If we have better depth when camp breaks we cut him.

A two year deal can be very similar depending on the structure, but, really just the signing bonus is the cap hit.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I like Michel but he is more of a north/south runner

he doesn't have the elusiveness of Kamara

he brings the hammer 

I think we need some power in the backfield...no more TOLBERT....perhaps Ivory can fill that. Michel is a good receiver and blocker as well, could be Shady II. I don't think he's been overused in college either.

2 hours ago, Manther said:

HMMMM..........IMO.......

Tolbert serves ZERO on field purpose.

Any other purpose Tolbert serves does not make up for his inabilities on the field.  He is just not good enough anymore to make a positive impact over the course of the full year.  So, he serves no purpose when you only have 53 roster spots.

If we want Tolbert to be a part of the team hire him as a coach.

How does getting rid of a pro-bowler make us better?

4 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

I think we need some power in the backfield...no more TOLBERT....perhaps Ivory can fill that. Michel is a good receiver and blocker as well, could be Shady II. I don't think he's been overused in college either.

Definitely. If he somehow fell and we can nab a back like that he would bring the thunder to shadys lightning and be tough to stop

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Domdab99 said:

You know, all these potential moves the Bills are doing doesn’t only mean they might be planning to trade up and grab their guy...it could also mean they’re going to try and go all out for Cousins.

I just look at them as upgrading positions (or at the very least not downgrading) for now.

V. Davis is a beast.....I also thought EJ Gaines is a beast as well......

9 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Many solid RB's in this draft for the Bills not to land two of them (draft pick and an UDFA, maybe).

Really no need to sign Ivory. They already have a 30 year old RB on the roster.

So you are going with Shady, two rookies, and Marcus Murphy?

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

TBD would burn to the ground. 

i think i might start throwing things if they grab a first round rb. and then follow it up with a 2nd rd rb. there would definitely be a lot of bad language. and my children may need therapy.

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

This franchise needs to start spending draft capital on HBs. 

McCoy

Guice (#21)

Michel (#53)

Murphy

Boom. 

the Boom would be my head exploding.

• Haha (+1) 1

The more roster holes that can be plugged with guys outside the comp pick formula, the better.  I think the fact that Bean has been in on both Ivory and Davis says they want to be on the right side of it this year if at all possible.

Ivory's style makes for a good contrast to Shady and it would be a short term deal so I'm not worried about the ages.  I still expect 2 rookies.  1 drafted, 1 UDFA.

1 hour ago, Ned Kelly said:

A little off topic

Can any of you experts share your thoughts on a guy like this for the Bills, perhaps undrafted free agent.

FB/Hb/Te.       Sooners

Dad was also a Bill once

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/dimitri-flowers?DB_OEM_ID=31000&id=2560135

His Dad was one of the worst draft picks in Bills history. Could be worth a flyer that the coin could land on the other side this time :)

On 2/23/2018 at 11:00 AM, rodneykm said:

Tolbert is still useful, but not as your main backup RB. I'd keep him on and look to someone maybe a little younger to back up Shady like McKinnon. 

RB - McCoy / McKinnon

FB - DiMarco / Tolbert

stop wasting roster spots on FB's.  Many NFL teams don't even use one.

I am not one who thinks that quality RBs are a dime a dozen and that you can easily rely on late round draftees and UDFAs with no loss in quality, so I like that they are investigating accomplished options at RB.  However, I do think that the majority of RBs have short shelf lifes in the NFL.  

I respect the career that Ivory has had, but I would not spend a lot on him to backup McCoy.  I would be alright with a 2nd or 3rd round pick being spent on his backup as long as the draftee is a strong candidate to be McCoy’s eventual replacement.

That being said, if they think that adding Ivory helps the culture and leadership that they are trying to instill, then by all means sign him up.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

stop wasting roster spots on FB's.  Many NFL teams don't even use one.

Brian Daboll has used one everywhere he has been. His fullback in Kansas City was Patrick DiMarco. Pretty sure we will have one.