Jags release RB Chris Ivory - Update! Visited Bills 2/26

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

I don't understand the Ivory interest at all.  We need a young kid in the pipeline due to McCoy's age.  I have zero interest in another 29 year old RB.

he would be another signing that didnt cost the Bills a draft pick to use and wont hurt the comp picks for next year

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

I don't understand the Ivory interest at all.  We need a young kid in the pipeline due to McCoy's age.  I have zero interest in another 29 year old RB.

why is age so important to you? They can sign Ivory and still get a young kid. Ivory would be a good backup

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

they probably feel McCoy is still playing at a high level and will worry about his replacement in a year or two.

Nah I think they will draft his replacement this year

Just now, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Oh they can and probably will. I'm just thinking Ivory will probably want too much

Doubt that 

16 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I cant see the Bills giving him what he would be asking for.

I'd rather draft one

I don't believe his asking price will be high.  There are many good prospects entering the draft and he's not a lead back.   A modest contract is in order for him and he won't hurt in the compensatory pick formula.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

He's about to turn 30....and is a violent, angry runner which I truly respected during his career. However, and some people are going to have a meltdown over this, but I do think this means Shady is on the trading block. If the Bills are seriously considering giving Ivory a job, even a back-up role at the age of 30 the way he runs (and I think he's had a concussion history if I'm not mistaken), then the Bills must be planning on Drafting their "starter" and trading Shady for something of value to the team, ala needed player or Draft pick. 

I just don't see the Bills going  into 2018 with their RBs looking like two 30 year old RBs with many miles on those legs and one Rookie. I can see a Cadet / Ivory / Rookie combo with the Rookie starting...but that's just me. 

Maybe but I think that’s a bit drastic. I just think he would be another RB in the arsenal. I think they would like a stable of backs, a mix of vets and rookies. 

I know we always make fun of the people who want to sign released players all of the time, but this makes sense. It's an area of need and a guy who played very little last year. The revelation of TJ Yeldon and having Fournette buried Ivory. He is older, but should be fresh. He also played for our RB coach. 

Beane came out and said he would be mindful of the comp pick formula. Signing released players is how you fill out your roster without sacrificing future comp picks. I think we will continue to see Beane jump all over these types of players. 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nah I think they will draft his replacement this year

Doubt that 

They could but would you assume that would be round 2-3?  If that's the case, I think that comes more than likely next year.

I'm just thinking they have the front 7 they are probably looking to shore up and will use picks towards that unit.
JMO

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Feels like every free agent wants to see what the Bills are up to... when's the last time we could say that?

me thinks the interest lies in the fact that they made the post season last year and they may feel they can make a deeper push with a team that shows promise?

7 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

experience helps.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They could but would you assume that would be round 2-3?  If that's the case, I think that comes more than likely next year.

I'm just thinking they have the front 7 they are probably looking to shore up and will use picks towards that unit.
JMO

Nope this draft is absolutely loaded at RB. Could be 4th or later with a potential starter. 

Now if Sony Michel is there in the 2nd I take him, otherwise there are tons of RBs i love.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Beane is playing with comp picks brilliantly. Any player we sign now does not count against our comp picks, but if we lose them next year they will count for our comp picks. These are Belichick type moves. I love what our front office is doing. And Ivory should still have some left in the tank. He's basically just a much better Tolbert.

• Like (+1) 1

He's about to turn 30....and is a violent, angry runner which I truly respected during his career. However, and some people are going to have a meltdown over this, but I do think this means Shady is on the trading block. If the Bills are seriously considering giving Ivory a job, even a back-up role at the age of 30 the way he runs (and I think he's had a concussion history if I'm not mistaken), then the Bills must be planning on Drafting their "starter" and trading Shady for something of value to the team, ala needed player or Draft pick. 

I just don't see the Bills going  into 2018 with their RBs looking like two 30 year old RBs with many miles on those legs and one Rookie. I can see a Cadet / Ivory / Rookie combo with the Rookie starting...but that's just me. 

Could be right, but I disagree.  Ivory is a perfect compliment to Shady in 2018.  He’s a hammer that can also be useful in the pass game.  Not every signing has to be about the long term.  He’d come relatively cheap, won’t count against the comp picks and is a solid backup.  Perfect for what McBeane is doing.  Not sure why you have to look past 2018 at every postion, especially the RB postion. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe but I think that’s a bit drastic. I just think he would be another RB in the arsenal. I think they would like a stable of backs, a mix of vets and rookies. 

Agreed on the mix philosophy, but I'm not sure they want to rely too heavily on two 30 year old RBs...although Cadet is also 29, so maybe Ivory takes the place of Cadet....and of course I'm probably wrong, but I still believe McD and Beane want to really overhaul the roster into something they believe is sustainable. And Shady's value for a potential playoff team is quite solid, fetching a decent return. The Bills probably see the RB position as malleable in their new Offensive scheme and getting a good Rookie would not only be cheaper in terms of actual cash, but if the Bills got a Draft pick, they'd be able to fill the position with a younger talent, while using some of Shady's Cap cost on a needed Vet position, like a LB or WR to help their probable Rookie QB, or even an Offensive Lineman.

14 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Oh they can and probably will. I'm just thinking Ivory will probably want too much

He was completely marginalized in Jacksonville.  He had a chance to be the primary backup due to injuries to Fournette and was ineffective.  I'm leery on how much he has in the tank, but he's certainly not a guy commanding a big contract.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

JMO

Im thinking thats the same reason for the Davis signing..try to get the front 7 worked out this draft and sign guys to 1 year deals to replace in next years draft..so 2019 draft go CB and RB

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

Agreed on the mix philosophy, but I'm not sure they want to rely too heavily on two 30 year old RBs...although Cadet is also 29, so maybe Ivory takes the place of Cadet....and of course I'm probably wrong, but I still believe McD and Beane want to really overhaul the roster into something they believe is sustainable. And Shady's value for a potential playoff team is quite solid, fetching a decent return. The Bills probably see the RB position as malleable in their new Offensive scheme and getting a good Rookie would not only be cheaper in terms of actual cash, but if the Bills got a Draft pick, they'd be able to fill the position with a younger talent, while using some of Shady's Cap cost on a needed Vet position, like a LB or WR to help their probable Rookie QB, or even an Offensive Lineman.

You make a good case for it.  It wouldn't shock me.

Isn’t that the Bills?

they have draft picks to take a RB

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, Ittakestime said:

Because McCoy gets so many carries.  So if you have Ivory, when is this rookie getting carries?

why do you need a rookie? Ivory would take carries from McCoy...these guys aren't 90 years old. Both can still play at a high level

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

He was completely marginalized in Jacksonville.  He had a chance to be the primary backup due to injuries to Fournette and was ineffective.  I'm leery on how much he has in the tank, but he's certainly not a guy commanding a big contract.

Not saying a big contract, probably just more than the Bills value him at

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewEra said:

Could be right, but I disagree.  Ivory is a perfect compliment to Shady in 2018.  He’s a hammer that can also be useful in the pass game.  Not every signing has to be about the long term.  He’d come relatively cheap, won’t count against the comp picks and is a solid backup.  Perfect for what McBeane is doing.  Not sure why you have to look past 2018 at every postion, especially the RB postion. 

IMHO, it's about recognizing what the Return on Investment would be....Shady could return either a nice player they need elsewhere and would have a hard time filling via FA or Draft, while RB is a DEEP position in this Draft making it even more accessible for the Bills to maintain production continuity. In other words, if I asked you if you could have Shady and a Brice Butler or Ronald Jones and a Allen Robinson (or possibly Sammy Watkins), which would you choose? If you'd choose the Shady package, fair enough, but considering how the Draft and FA are shaking out, I don't think it's out of the question to consider where best to allocate resources when you're team in the midst of a roster re-shaping. 

Signing Ivory makes a lot of sense. He is older (will turn 30 in March) but has not had a ton of carries throughout his career (low mileage offsets the age a little bit). Ivory was voted a top 100 player after the 2015 season (I think he was #76) so he has potential if called upon for extra duty. Plus, if Bills sign Ivory now he won't count against us in compensatory system (just like Davis).

If Bills manage to sign Ivory, it could be another indication that we are going to try and move up in the draft for a qb. Bills would be filling holes at reasonable rates and not killing team on future comp picks. The Bills will need every pick in the future they can get their hands on because if they move up they will be trading away a bunch of 2s, 3s and/or 4s as well as their first round picks. They will need a comp pick or two next year to help minimize the loss of those draft picks. 

Edited by racketmaster
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Isn’t that the Bills?

they have draft picks to take a RB

When you consider HOW the Bills won and made it to the playoffs, I don't think depending on Shady's potential precipitous fall at the magical age of 30 is a solid plan, especially when you're installing a new Offense and probably a new QB (hopefully!) and it's most likely a Rookie QB. As for the picks, yes they have quite a few, but consider the Bills needs: QB, DT - probably 2 of them, LB - again probably 2 of them, that's 5 picks, and then add in needed depth for CB, Offensive line and WR, that's the Bills entire Draft class. 

Now this is based on the current Bills Draft picks and not knowing what they do in FA - outside of Davis yesterday - but looking at how many holes they have to fill, just by the sheer numbers of it, I just don't think the money their contracted to pay to Shady makes sense given where this team is heading and how they're re-shaping the roster.

1 minute ago, racketmaster said:

Signing Ivory makes a lot of sense. He is older (will turn 30 in March) but has not had a ton of carries throughout his career (low mileage offsets the age a little bit). Ivory was voted a top 100 player after the 2015 season (I think he was #76) so he has potential if called upon for extra duty. Plus, if Bills sign Ivory now he won't count against us in compensatory system (just like Davis).

If Bills manage to sign Ivory, it could be another indication that we are going to try an move up in the draft for a qb. Bills would be filling holes at reasonable rates and not killing team on future comp picks. The Bills will need every pick in the future they can get their hands on because if they move up they will be trading away a bunch of 2s, 3s and/or 4s as well as their first round picks. They will need a comp pick or two next year to help minimize the loss of those draft picks. 

I would say it gives them better opportunity to move up if they feel they need to but it also allows them to allocate the picks for the biggest problem on the team other then QB which is the front 7...they could use 4 of the top 5 picks on DT's and LB's and still use 1 on a QB

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

If Bills manage to sign Ivory, it could be another indication that we are going to try and move up in the draft for a qb.

This makes sense in theory. Accumulating future comp picks is a good way to offset the capital we lose in a trade up. They have a vision and I'm buying in.

9 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

When you consider HOW the Bills won and made it to the playoffs, I don't think depending on Shady's potential precipitous fall at the magical age of 30 is a solid plan, especially when you're installing a new Offense and probably a new QB (hopefully!) and it's most likely a Rookie QB. As for the picks, yes they have quite a few, but consider the Bills needs: QB, DT - probably 2 of them, LB - again probably 2 of them, that's 5 picks, and then add in needed depth for CB, Offensive line and WR, that's the Bills entire Draft class. 

Now this is based on the current Bills Draft picks and not knowing what they do in FA - outside of Davis yesterday - but looking at how many holes they have to fill, just by the sheer numbers of it, I just don't think the money their contracted to pay to Shady makes sense given where this team is heading and how they're re-shaping the roster.

If they are considering trading Shady, they will need to have a better FA signing or relatively high pick at RB. If they sign Ivory, he’s not a high end starting RB. As we have seen, Shady isn’t easily replaced. They would still need to allocate valuable resources to the position if they move on from him. And I don’t think Allen Robinson or any decent FA WR is an option unless they massively overpay due to the QB situation. A WR like AR would have to be drunk to consider signing a deal with the Bills.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

If they are considering trading Shady, they will need to have a better FA signing or relatively high pick at RB. If they sign Ivory, he’s not a high end starting RB. As we have seen, Shady isn’t easily replaced. 

and no need either. He's not going anywhere. Still our best player

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

If they are considering trading Shady, they will need to have a better FA signing or relatively high pick at RB. If they sign Ivory, he’s not a high end starting RB. As we have seen, Shady isn’t easily replaced. 

In terms of "high pick", I'm not sure how you quantify a "high pick", but I'll say IMO, if the Bills trade Shady for a Draft pick, it's probably a 3rd, maybe a 4th. And, IF the Bills attack FA with the money saved by his contract by going after say, Allen Robinson or Sammy Watkins, then a boundary WR is off the list of needs with about the same amount of money spent. Also, depending on how the rest of this FA period rolls out, the Bills *could* stay put and Draft a Rudolph or Jackson, etc., use the other 1st or trade back again and fill their needs. Which means, RB with their second 2nd round pick is an option and just in my mind, I think about what I said up thread, which is would you rather have Shady and Brice Butler or Ronald Jones / Sony Michel and Allen Robinson or Watkins? 

Given the new system, I also disagree that he isn't "easily replaced"....there is no one like Shady for sure....he's a rare talent. BUT, the new Offensive system may not value him the way fans do....and Ivory is the back up, and I don't see Shady as the 30 year old juggernaut....so, that means young legs to lead the rushing attack and I just don't think Beane pays a 30 year old Shady to be a part time runner when it comes with that cost. But, time will tell if I'm way off - and I probably am - but that's just my perspective. 

On 2018-02-23 at 12:57 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Tolbert could still be his dad

I would release Tolbert (is he a FA? I don’t know) and Dimarco and sign Ivory, then draft a RB in the 4th or 5th. Bring back Cadet as well. 

Marcus Murphy is an ERFA and i would keep him on PS if eligible 

This is is what I want also.