Jags release RB Chris Ivory - Update! Visited Bills 2/26

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

I don't understand the Ivory interest at all.  We need a young kid in the pipeline due to McCoy's age.  I have zero interest in another 29 year old RB.

I think Beane is trying to fill as many spots in FA as he can so he knows come draft time if he will pull the trigger on a trade up for a QB or if there are still too many spots to fill and stay put. 

7 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

The 2017 Offensive Rookie of the Year was a 3rd round Running Back....I'm not arguing that every 3rd Round RB is a Kamara, but what I AM saying, is that with proper diligence and scouting, a team CAN find a great value in any round for any position. So, by extension, I don't think it's a huge reach to think that if the Bills traded Shady, that they could find a great RB to replace his production. I really like Shady, but at this point, the R.O.I. just isn't there for me, and I'm not completely sure it's there for Beane and McD either. 

He also had a HOF QB and borderline elite running mate in the back field. The rook has skills no doubt but if he was on the Bills with Tyrod starting he'd be an afterthought. Shady produces with limited offensive talent around him and defensive schemes against him and still puts up pro bowl numbers. He's a keeper, even at his salary. When we develop an offense that has threats at QB and WR then maybe you consider moving on from your elite RB.

11 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

He also had a HOF QB and borderline elite running mate in the back field. The rook has skills no doubt but if he was on the Bills with Tyrod starting he'd be an afterthought. Shady produces with limited offensive talent around him and defensive schemes against him and still puts up pro bowl numbers. He's a keeper, even at his salary. When we develop an offense that has threats at QB and WR then maybe you consider moving on from your elite RB.

And yet, a number of articles were written about how Brees wasn't being "Brees" in terms of the usual way of chucking the ball all over....how the Defense and running game were the principal players of their success. Also, you don't wait until the horse is ready to be shot before you move him to the stable from the wild fields of roaming free....you see when it's healthiest and best AHEAD of such disaster....wanting to run Shady into the ground is not a recipe for success. 

I might be wrong, but I'll go out on a limb and say that whether Shady plays for the Bills or for another team, if he's used in his current role, about 10 games in he'll start to wear down and he'll start missing a step here and there, maybe even sooner depending on how games are played. Now, if Beane were to Draft a guy to be the "lead" back, and use Shady as the compliment, then even though I would advise against spending that kind of money on a back-up RB, at least Shady could be fresh and able to contribute throughout the season....I just don't think Shady can keep the heavy workload for an entire season including, hopefully, the post-season. 

29 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

But that's failing to account for all the other changes to come in this Off-season. For example, I would hope the next QB of the Bills is a MUCH better passer adding tremendous impact in the Offense by passing the ball better and with more scoring overall. Additionally, adding new DT / LB talent will help the Defense and the Bills just signed Vontae Davis. These will add to a better team, making the reliance on Shady as the end-all-be-all tool obsolete as few teams handle their Offense this way in the modern NFL. Also, Shady has been electric, but I don't really need to point to how unkind history is to 30 year old RBs....almost to the day, it's a significant drop-off. But, we shall agree to disagree....all good. 

For sure.  All good.  Like I said, I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad move in general, just imo, a bad move for 2018

4 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

I would hate to spend more money at the RB or FB positions. Find me a Kamara or Hunt in the middle rounds of the draft instead. Get me an offensive lineman in FA since the transition is harder from college to the pros.

Once again, they need to add like 3 RBs. Unless you want to use 3 draft picks, they need to sign some guys in FA. 

Signing a RB doesn’t preclude signing an OL

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Once again, they need to add like 3 RBs. Unless you want to use 3 draft picks, they need to sign some guys in FA. 

Another positive I read on Twitter this morning, the scout responsible for scouting and talking up Hunt, now works for the Bills. One more reason for optimism, and one more reason to really like Beane and company are doing....been a long time since I've felt this positive about the team as a whole.... Go Bills!

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Another positive I read on Twitter this morning, the scout responsible for scouting and talking up Hunt, now works for the Bills. One more reason for optimism, and one more reason to really like Beane and company are doing....been a long time since I've felt this positive about the team as a whole.... Go Bills!

Our guy Astro tweeted that and i posted that in this thread too. Good stuff.

22 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

And yet, a number of articles were written about how Brees wasn't being "Brees" in terms of the usual way of chucking the ball all over....how the Defense and running game were the principal players of their success. Also, you don't wait until the horse is ready to be shot before you move him to the stable from the wild fields of roaming free....you see when it's healthiest and best AHEAD of such disaster....wanting to run Shady into the ground is not a recipe for success. 

I might be wrong, but I'll go out on a limb and say that whether Shady plays for the Bills or for another team, if he's used in his current role, about 10 games in he'll start to wear down and he'll start missing a step here and there, maybe even sooner depending on how games are played. Now, if Beane were to Draft a guy to be the "lead" back, and use Shady as the compliment, then even though I would advise against spending that kind of money on a back-up RB, at least Shady could be fresh and able to contribute throughout the season....I just don't think Shady can keep the heavy workload for an entire season including, hopefully, the post-season. 

I would argue, with a better team and pass game around him like you talked about earlier, shady would be even more lethal on less touches.... and maybe even prolong his career.

or not.... but I think that's a real possibility. sadly, I think by the time they get the pass game figured out the tread will be all but worn bald.

37 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

3.8 ypa in 2016 down to 3.4 in 2017.  The numbers don't lie for an aging back.  Pass please.  

The Jags ran the ball a lot but were not that effective in terms of yards per carry. Fournette is young and a top RB in the league and he averaged just 3.9 yards per carry in 2017. Ivory has a violent running style and he does get nicked up from time to time as a result. I think he still has a little juice left in him seeing some of his runs this past year. He is also a solid pass catcher and good blocker. I see him as an upgrade over what we have on the roster right now behind McCoy. Shady needs some help and Ivory could provide that for a year or two. We can always draft an RB next year as they typically can play right away. 

42 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

3.8 ypa in 2016 down to 3.4 in 2017.  The numbers don't lie for an aging back.  Pass please.  

their prized rookie only went for 3.9 this year. so those numbers can be a bit deceiving. though they ran it a ton, they honestly just don't have a very good line. 

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Agree. He's not great but he would be dirt cheap and wouldn't count against comp picks. Signing him would in no way preclude us from addressing other positions or from addressing RB again later. Don't really see any downside tbh. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Grab an undrafted guy to compete. Re-sign Taiwan Jones or Cadet if healthy to the vet minimum. Again both lines need upgrading that should be the focus in addition to getting a QB. RBs are a dime a dozen and in the right system they can be productive. If Ivory is still unsigned by training camp and they want to bring him fine but that would not be my focus now. I would wait until after the draft and see how everything shakes out before signing anybody at that position.

Edited by billieve420

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a potential successor at RB. By all means we should. Just saying we shouldn't trade Shady while he's still an elite player. 

1 hour ago, billieve420 said:

I would hate to spend more money at the RB or FB positions. Find me a Kamara or Hunt in the middle rounds of the draft instead. Get me an offensive lineman in FA since the transition is harder from college to the pros.

good luck with that

Just wanted to pop in to say that Ivory has lower mileage on his tires than many 30 year old RBs, since he has spent so much of his career splitting time with other backs. Less hits, less wear and tear.

McCoy, Ivory, and a late round rookie will be just fine for this year. Or heck, even McCoy, Ivory, and Cadet.

I want a true successor to Shady as much as anyone, but you can't fill all your needs in one offseason. This year, rebuilding the o-line and front seven and finding a QB are more important. Young RB, CB, WR1 can wait until next year.

Edited by Logic

1 minute ago, billieve420 said:

That is where good scouting comes into play and hopefully the Bills have a staff in place to find those under the radar type guys.

The draft is a crap shoot. Do all the prep you want, but you won 't do any worse by flipping coins. 

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

All positives.  We have built a great staff starting from the top...down.  It is important as that is how you can sustain success.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

The draft is a crap shoot. Do all the prep you want, but you won 't do any worse by flipping coins. 

Everything in life is a crap shoot. I have no problem with the Bills meeting with Ivory seeing what his interest is, potential roles, contract #'s etc... For me he is a guy I can wait to sign until after the draft and I have a better idea what remaining holes need to be filled. If not I am sure there will be post June 1st cuts with other RBs available. We picked up both Jones and Cadet late who both did a decent job.

On 2/23/2018 at 2:00 PM, rodneykm said:

Tolbert is still useful, but not as your main backup RB. I'd keep him on and look to someone maybe a little younger to back up Shady like McKinnon. 

RB - McCoy / McKinnon

FB - DiMarco / Tolbert

HMMMM..........IMO.......

Tolbert serves ZERO on field purpose.

Any other purpose Tolbert serves does not make up for his inabilities on the field.  He is just not good enough anymore to make a positive impact over the course of the full year.  So, he serves no purpose when you only have 53 roster spots.

If we want Tolbert to be a part of the team hire him as a coach.

5 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

He's about to turn 30....and is a violent, angry runner which I truly respected during his career. However, and some people are going to have a meltdown over this, but I do think this means Shady is on the trading block. If the Bills are seriously considering giving Ivory a job, even a back-up role at the age of 30 the way he runs (and I think he's had a concussion history if I'm not mistaken), then the Bills must be planning on Drafting their "starter" and trading Shady for something of value to the team, ala needed player or Draft pick. 

I just don't see the Bills going  into 2018 with their RBs looking like two 30 year old RBs with many miles on those legs and one Rookie. I can see a Cadet / Ivory / Rookie combo with the Rookie starting...but that's just me. 

They went into last season with Shady + Tolbert, who is 32 and not much else behind them. 

So I don't think having Ivory in for a visit says anything else but that they want a better #2 RB for Shady this year. 

39 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Disagree.  Totally agree to disagree.

The draft takes a lot of moving parts into account and sometimes all the preparation you do won't pan out because of the human factor along with other things.

But, you can leverage your odds with preparation to have better success rates.  AND, there is no substitution for coaching and daily agendas and practicing.

14 minutes ago, Manther said:

HMMMM..........IMO.......

Tolbert serves ZERO on field purpose.

Any other purpose Tolbert serves does not make up for his inabilities on the field.  He is just not good enough anymore to make a positive impact over the course of the full year.  So, he serves no purpose when you only have 53 roster spots.

If we want Tolbert to be a part of the team hire him as a coach.

Let me add he has fumbleitis.

I apologize if this has already been talked about, but does anyone know if Ivory has experience on special teams?  McD seems to value players that are good depth at their position, but are also solid special team players.  Ivory seems like someone that would offer value on special teams but I don't know if he has done it before.