Eric Galko of Optimum Scouting: Bills love Rosen (updated with new info)

YoloinOhio

I wonder how the Giants really feel about Davis Webb? They didn't play him at the end of the year. I've also heard that they like him. Others says not so much.

The Colts at 3 remain an option as well. Maybe the Browns like Josh Allen who knows?

I like Rosen best because he is the best pure passer. Give me some!

even if Rosen somehow busts, at least we are doing whatever it takes to get a QB.  it's such an important position, how have we not put a priority on it up until this point in our history?  i will feel good in 3 years knowing hey at least we took a shot on the best QB in a long time and didn't just wait and grab the 4th best as an afterthought (like Losman).  i highly doubt he busts though.  if anything, he gets injured and walks away like Jake Locker.  he's as sure of a thing as there has been in a long time.  this is the guy to bet on if i'm a GM.  if we were in vegas and you had to put all of your chips on which QB has the best chance of being a franchise QB, i'd put my chips on Rosen

59 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I'd be fine with it--Rosen is the best pure passer in the draft.

It'll be quite the hefty price to pay though, and I have my doubts as to whether or not the Giants would want to move down from 2.

The issue to me is exactly what you mentioned: the price. To me, in a Draft that has the depth of really good QBs, you don't trade UP in those Drafts, you stand pat. You trade up in the Winston / Mariota years because it was them and no one else. Add to the fact of guys like Russell Wilson, Andy Dalton, Dak Prescott, Nick Foles, and of course Kirk Cousins, and you can see how the value is in the evaluation itself and then with coaching once that QB is on your team. Bills have tremendous amount of needs, keeping all of the Draft picks is really important for this roster and team to make that transition to contender, every year. 

Also, while this report may be accurate, based on Beane's comments at the Senior Bowl, you'd think that such "love" for a QB at this point is overblown since Beane said he wants to talk to them, interview them, and get a feel for the guy. Also, I'd want to know Rosen LOVES the game more than anything else in his life, except for family, and is willing to do anything and everything to move the universe so that my team wins a Super Bowl (at least one, more would be nice). 

And BTW 

Philly woukd be absolutely INSANE to trade Foles right now. 

Timing of Wentz Knee is no guarantee he would be back for start of season 

Foles on a cheap contract with a year left. 

They should NOT deal him this year unless some team goes obviously insane with a Kings Ransom for him. 

Just now, kdiggz said:

even if Rosen somehow busts, at least we are doing whatever it takes to get a QB.  it's such an important position, how have we not put a priority on it up until this point in our history?  i will feel good in 3 years knowing hey at least we took a shot on the best QB in a long time and didn't just wait and grab the 4th best as an afterthought (like Losman).  i highly doubt he busts though.  if anything, he gets injured and walks away like Jake Locker.  he's as sure of a thing as there has been in a long time.  this is the guy to bet on if i'm a GM.  if we were in vegas and you had to put all of your chips on which QB has the best chance of being a franchise QB, i'd put my chips on Rosen

The injuries are flags. Best pure passer but I really think Mayfield is gonna be the one that lost the longest in the NFL.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

And BTW 

Philly woukd be absolutely INSANE to trade Foles right now. 

Timing of Wentz Knee is no guarantee he would be back for start of season 

Foles on a cheap contract with a year left. 

They should NOT deal him this year unless some team goes obviously insane with a Kings Ransom for him. 

They did it with Sam Bradford theyre gona do it wit Foles. Whenever they get a 1st round pick offer they will bite.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I just read up on Rosen's durability concerns and it kind of scared me off of him. I think I'd prefer Darnold even though he'd take more time to develop.

This doesn’t address durability specifically/totally but I have heard people question his size/frame. I  do know someone who scouted  him  live twice and said that part is fine in his mind, not a concern. Looked solid enough. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, FearLess Price said:

They did it with Sam Bradford theyre gona do it wit Foles. Whenever they get a 1st round pick offer they will bite.

When was the Sam Bradford Trade?  And was Wentz recovering for a Knee. 

They are idiots if they move Foles without knowing Wentz is back (before the draft)

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He says in his new podcast that he is hearing from talking to scouts and agents that the Bills love Josh Rosen and thinks they will trade up to 2 with the NYG to draft him. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/nfl-draft-show-quarterback-carousel-update-plus-draft/id1276383397?i=1000402080073&mt=2

so is Eric Galko Chadwacko Chad? 

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This doesn’t address durability specifically/totally but I have heard people question his size/frame. I  do know someone who scouted  him  live twice and said that part is fine in his mind, not a concern. Looked solid enough. 

One of the reasons I don't like trading up is that I don't think you can predict durability in the NFL. We seemingly got a very injury-averse player in Tre White. The back of his neck was smashed by Gronkowski and he played the following week. But I don't think anyone could have predicted that. With Rosen it's the opposite. We KNOW he isn't durable, because he's suffered multiple serious injuries in college. So how will his body hold up in the NFL if it didn't hold up against much lesser talent? It's a real concern.

Edited by HappyDays

It's been 25 years since we have had a qb.  That must end.  I don't care what they do- Cousins or trade up.  Whatever the costs, the risks must be taken to attempt to find the answer.  If Rosen is "their guy" then do whatever it takes.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

The only thing that i will dispute is the Bills waiting on Losman. That wasn’t what happened. They desperaty tried to trade up to get Big Ben. They thought that a deal was in place but Jax pulled the plug because they were nervous that they would miss out on Reggie Williams if they went back to our spot.  

I agree with with everything else on Rosen. He’s a high floor, high ceiling guy. I’ve always argued those are the guys that you move up for. At worst they are good and at best they are stars. With the exception of injury he is pretty much “bust proof.”

11 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

The injuries are flags. Best pure passer but I really think Mayfield is gonna be the one that lost the longest in the NFL.

There are more flags to me than the injuries. I'm sorry, but it really does take a certain mentality to play football in Buffalo NY. I'm not convinced he has it. His reputation as being selfish and entitled is a major red flag to play in this city. 

As Aaron Williams said in his retirement article...in Buffalo football is everything. Just a hunch, gut instinct or whatever but I'm not sold he would ever embrace playing in a blue collar city. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Smokescreen?

He said it before he was hired by Browns.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

IMO, it would take more then that to get the 2nd pick in the draft. 

Glenn(still not a clue why they want him gone), the 21st and 22nd pick in the draft isn't enough. Probably need to throw in a 2nd in the 2019 NFL draft as well.

“Wanting him gone” and having already replaced him with a younger, cheaper, high performing LT with the ability to now use Glenn as an asset in a trade and clear cap are two different things 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think they will trade down to 21. I think the Bills will move up twice to get there. They could move up to 7 with Denver (if they sign Cousins) and then up to 2 with NYG. 21,22 to Denver. Glenn and a 2019 2nd and 7 to NYG. (Spitballing)

i think you meant to say Denver at pick 5.  it will take more than that to get it done according to the trade calculators:

Denver signs Cousins, Bills trade 2x 1sts and next year's 2nd to move up to 5, Bills trade pick 5 and Cordy Glenn and maybe another mid round pick to move up to 2.  this would be the best case for us.  or we could roll the dice knowing Indy and Cle won't take a QB but it's risky because someone (Cards, Jets) could trade up with them to get ahead of the Bills knowing who they are probably targeting at 5.  the Bills have an insider with the Colts now so they could probably gauge whether or not they are going to trade out of there so then it really just comes down to the Browns.  the Brownies might just want to pick knowing they will be able to get the best offensive or defensive player in the draft at 4 but trading down to 6 with the Jets they could still get their guy.  so yes, I think we would need to trade up to 2 to ensure we get our QB.  i think no matter who is picking, the first 2 picks in this draft will be Darnold and Rosen.  if a team isn't taking one of those players they would be wise to trade back

If Rosen is being leaked as target, real target is probably Darnold.  Even though he played at USC, he seems more a culture fit in Buffalo than Rosen.  Rosen checks more boxes during the scouting process, but Darnold is the guy you want to go to battle with.  I'd be happy with either of them, but I think Darnold is a guy you win with for a long time.  Rosen has higher upside but also seems like the type who could retire in 5 years.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

The issue to me is exactly what you mentioned: the price. To me, in a Draft that has the depth of really good QBs, you don't trade UP in those Drafts, you stand pat. You trade up in the Winston / Mariota years because it was them and no one else. Add to the fact of guys like Russell Wilson, Andy Dalton, Dak Prescott, Nick Foles, and of course Kirk Cousins, and you can see how the value is in the evaluation itself and then with coaching once that QB is on your team. Bills have tremendous amount of needs, keeping all of the Draft picks is really important for this roster and team to make that transition to contender, every year. 

Also, while this report may be accurate, based on Beane's comments at the Senior Bowl, you'd think that such "love" for a QB at this point is overblown since Beane said he wants to talk to them, interview them, and get a feel for the guy. Also, I'd want to know Rosen LOVES the game more than anything else in his life, except for family, and is willing to do anything and everything to move the universe so that my team wins a Super Bowl (at least one, more would be nice). 

Most all "experts" agree there's no way one of the top QBs falls to us at 21.  What you said is the exact opposite of economic principle, the price of moving up in your situation, when there's very limited "sure things" is MUCH higher than a situation like this where there's a couple of QBs at the top and teams at picks 2 and 3, not to mention 1 of 1 or 4, have reasons not to take QBs.  That's exactly the situation you roll the dice and get yourself into when you are a franchise like us who realistically isn't likely to be bad enough to take a top QB with our pick.

Every team has needs.  A legitimate QB minimizes a lot of other perceived needs.  Are you glossing over the fact we can likely make this move while keeping two day 2 picks in our coffers and potentially keeping our 1st next year as well?  We have the extra picks this year, it's time to step up to the plate. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

If Rosen is being leaked as target, real target is probably Darnold.  Even though he played at USC, he seems more a culture fit in Buffalo than Rosen.  Rosen checks more boxes during the scouting process, but Darnold is the guy you want to go to battle with.  I'd be happy with either of them, but I think Darnold is a guy you win with for a long time.  Rosen has higher upside but also seems like the type who could retire in 5 years.  

I don’t think the Browns will trade out of 1. I think they are locked on Darnold. They won’t take Rosen. If they take someone other than Darnold at 1 (Mayfield or Allen) then the Bills could take either Darnold or Rosen at 2. I just think it’s a lock they take Darnold at 1.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

i think you meant to say Denver at pick 5.  it will take more than that to get it done according to the trade calculators:

Denver signs Cousins, Bills trade 2x 1sts and next year's 2nd to move up to 5, Bills trade pick 5 and Cordy Glenn and maybe another mid round pick to move up to 2.  this would be the best case for us.  or we could roll the dice knowing Indy and Cle won't take a QB but it's risky because someone (Cards, Jets) could trade up with them to get ahead of the Bills knowing who they are probably targeting at 5.  the Bills have an insider with the Colts now so they could probably gauge whether or not they are going to trade out of there so then it really just comes down to the Browns.  the Brownies might just want to pick knowing they will be able to get the best offensive or defensive player in the draft at 4 but trading down to 6 with the Jets they could still get their guy.  so yes, I think we would need to trade up to 2 to ensure we get our QB.  i think no matter who is picking, the first 2 picks in this draft will be Darnold and Rosen.  if a team isn't taking one of those players they would be wise to trade back

I think Beane / McDermott's relationship with Gettleman makes just going up to the Giants pick the much cleaner scenario.  We have plenty of value to give them on the draft value chart.  If they wanted Barkley and they have good intel the Browns are taking Barkley #1 and getting their QB at #4, it's very likely the Giants can get their #2 RB with one of our picks and take all the extra draft stock.  If they aren't targeting a player like Chubb (and they have 2 good DEs) or Fitzpatrick, then just getting the draft depth could be huge for them as they have a pretty expensive and shallow roster.

I think Denver gets Cousins.  We either move up to 2 or 3 and one of the Jets or Cardinals moves up to 2 or 3.  Browns take Barkley, because, Browns, then Rosen / Darnold / Mayfield go off in some order.

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

Most all "experts" agree there's no way one of the top QBs falls to us at 21.  What you said is the exact opposite of economic principle, the price of moving up in your situation, when there's very limited "sure things" is MUCH higher than a situation like this where there's a couple of QBs at the top and teams at picks 2 and 3, not to mention 1 of 1 or 4, have reasons not to take QBs.  That's exactly the situation you roll the dice and get yourself into when you are a franchise like us who realistically isn't likely to be bad enough to take a top QB with our pick.

Every team has needs.  A legitimate QB minimizes a lot of other perceived needs.  Are you glossing over the fact we can likely make this move while keeping two day 2 picks in our coffers and potentially keeping our 1st next year as well?  We have the extra picks this year, it's time to step up to the plate. 

I'll disagree because what you're not stating is the demand of for QBs is higher this year in terms of the number of teams ostensibly searching for their premier QB for the long-term. Cards, Jets, Browns, Denver, Buffalo (of course), not to mention teams that should be planning for the future, ala Giants, Saints, Steelers, and possibly Jags. In years past the number of truly QB needy teams were about 4, this makes concretely 5 and possibly up to 9 if those other teams decide to plan contingencies for the future or move on from their QB, i.e. Jags. That means the price is virtually the same, EXCEPT this year there is a real deep class of QBs so paying to trade UP, doesn't make sense to me. You stay put, and get a guy like Rudolph at 21, when if you take all of these analysts at face value you've got: Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, Rudolph, and Jackson as all 1st round talents. Now, that's not to say they're all equal, but when your team is experiencing a talent drought and you have a means to replenish it via what is already in your possession (Draft picks), to me it is foolish to trade that away. Also, while I like Rosen the best among all of the QBs, I've been vocal for Rudolph given the Bills Draft position and think that he will be a good to great QB in the NFL and might not cost the Bills any trades to get him. 

Additionally, I don't think it will be as simple as the Bills 2 first round picks this year as it seems that is what you're implying. I think to get to 2, it would take: 21/22 a player such as Hughes or Glenn, and a 3rd this year and a 3rd next year. Giants are in the driver's seat and field offers from a number of QB needy teams, that are probably willing to offer multiple years of Draft picks....so, to push the Bills to the front of the line, to me this is what it would take. Now, if you're correct and all it took was this year's 2 firsts, then that is faaaaaaaar more amenable to me and I would have much easier time supporting that decision. 

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

IMO, it would take more then that to get the 2nd pick in the draft. 

Glenn(still not a clue why they want him gone), the 21st and 22nd pick in the draft isn't enough. Probably need to throw in a 2nd in the 2019 NFL draft as well.

In Galko's mock draft, he says the trade would include "an early round pick in 2019" as well.

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I think Beane / McDermott's relationship with Gettleman makes just going up to the Giants pick the much cleaner scenario.  We have plenty of value to give them on the draft value chart.  If they wanted Barkley and they have good intel the Browns are taking Barkley #1 and getting their QB at #4, it's very likely the Giants can get their #2 RB with one of our picks and take all the extra draft stock.  If they aren't targeting a player like Chubb (and they have 2 good DEs) or Fitzpatrick, then just getting the draft depth could be huge for them as they have a pretty expensive and shallow roster.

I think Denver gets Cousins.  We either move up to 2 or 3 and one of the Jets or Cardinals moves up to 2 or 3.  Browns take Barkley, because, Browns, then Rosen / Darnold / Mayfield go off in some order.

If the Giants don't go Qb and make a run with Eli, a trade with Buffalo for 21,22 and Glenn would make tons of sense.  They need line help.  Glenn LT and they can use 21 or 22 for OT or guard.   With the other pick they can add a Rb like Guice or Michel.  They fix their biggest needs in the first night of the draft.  It makes alot of sense but again alot of time til May so many things can change.

Rosen isn't my preferred choice; he's actually my #5 QB in the class. But I can get on board with it if they pull off something like this, especially if the 2019 pick included isn't a 1st rounder. He doesn't really seem like the type that McBeane would be looking for though IMO.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Bills would be MUCH better served putting one of them at RT and having two bookend tackles. Mills has been their starter for far too long. He blows.

If they can get the number two pick without having to ship Glenn out it would be more ideal. 

They need an answer at RT no doubt, but neither Glenn nor Dawkins has ever played that position so I don’t know if that’s it. I would flip him and find another replacement for Mills.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

They need an answer at RT no doubt, but neither Glenn nor Dawkins has ever played that position so I don’t know if that’s it. I would flip him and find another replacement for Mills.

If Bills Draft a QB and plan to start him from Day 1, my preference would be to have Glenn start at LG, and cut Richie or trade him if they could. I think Glenn and Dawkins would be a really nice blindside protection combo for the Rookie. 

Maybe the worm has finally started to turn for this franchise.  Playoff drought over, now things lining up nicely for a tradeup.  If Denver does get Cousins, really only leaves Jets and Arizona as competition for the 2nd QB in draft.  Giants will not trade #2 to the Jets under any scenario.  Bills have a lot more trade capital than Arizona, are in a different conference, and have good relationship with Giants Front Office.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I'll disagree because what you're not stating is the demand of for QBs is higher this year in terms of the number of teams ostensibly searching for their premier QB for the long-term. Cards, Jets, Browns, Denver, Buffalo (of course), not to mention teams that should be planning for the future, ala Giants, Saints, Steelers, and possibly Jags. In years past the number of truly QB needy teams were about 4, this makes concretely 5 and possibly up to 9 if those other teams decide to plan contingencies for the future or move on from their QB, i.e. Jags. That means the price is virtually the same, EXCEPT this year there is a real deep class of QBs so paying to trade UP, doesn't make sense to me. You stay put, and get a guy like Rudolph at 21, when if you take all of these analysts at face value you've got: Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, Rudolph, and Jackson as all 1st round talents. Now, that's not to say they're all equal, but when your team is experiencing a talent drought and you have a means to replenish it via what is already in your possession (Draft picks), to me it is foolish to trade that away. Also, while I like Rosen the best among all of the QBs, I've been vocal for Rudolph given the Bills Draft position and think that he will be a good to great QB in the NFL and might not cost the Bills any trades to get him. 

Additionally, I don't think it will be as simple as the Bills 2 first round picks this year as it seems that is what you're implying. I think to get to 2, it would take: 21/22 a player such as Hughes or Glenn, and a 3rd this year and a 3rd next year. Giants are in the driver's seat and field offers from a number of QB needy teams, that are probably willing to offer multiple years of Draft picks....so, to push the Bills to the front of the line, to me this is what it would take. Now, if you're correct and all it took was this year's 2 firsts, then that is faaaaaaaar more amenable to me and I would have much easier time supporting that decision. 

I've said what I think the price will be in multiple posts across a variety of topics.  It's a price I'm more than willing to pay. There also aren't more teams looking for QBs this year than any other year.  Just last year the Browns, Denver, Bills, Jets, Cardinals were looking at QBs in addition to the Bears, Texans, Chiefs who took QBs.