Eric Galko of Optimum Scouting: Bills love Rosen (updated with new info)

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

The NY Giants FO are morons if they trade away that #2 pick and don't take Rosen themselves. So, let's say they wait until next season or the year after to go for a top QB. Then they will need to give up the farm for a player sitting right there for them. 

I don't see the Giants being this foolish and knowing Eli is so near the end of his career.

That's one perspective. 

Another is that with Eli, if they properly rebuild the rest of the team around him, they can win right now and for several years, plus take a shot on drafting the next Garappolo (2nd or later round guy who will develop).

Taking two firsts and a second this year plus a pick next year would most definitely enable this strategy.

IMHO the demise of Eli Manning has been prematurely predicted. T he Giants games I watched, I saw catchable ball after ball not being hauled in by whoever the heck it was he was throwing to and sometimes deflected into the waiting arms of DBs. Give him an OL and another good WR besides OBJ and a defense, and watch him return from the dead.

It all depends upon whether the Giants new guys agree with the popular evaluation of Eli as "dead QB walking", or whether they think he's still got it.

4 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

I agreed with the WGR guys that I just don't see it.  The Bills place so much on availability and Rosen has a injury history.  The other item OBD places high is culture.  Rosen has a history of being not easy to work with.

might be a smokescreen to get someone else to trade up to take Rosen and have the guy they really want (Allen) drop farther down.  i have heard they want Allen so this Rosen talk is news to me.  Rosen is more of a sure thing imo but Allen has a good attitude and the best combo of size and arm talent since JeMarcus Russell

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Rosen isn't my preferred choice; he's actually my #5 QB in the class. But I can get on board with it if they pull off something like this, especially if the 2019 pick included isn't a 1st rounder. He doesn't really seem like the type that McBeane would be looking for though IMO.

Huh.  Who are the 4 you put higher?

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's one perspective. 

Another is that with Eli, if they properly rebuild the rest of the team around him, they can win right now and for several years, plus take a shot on drafting the next Garappolo (2nd or later round guy who will develop).

Taking two firsts and a second this year plus a pick next year would most definitely enable this strategy.

IMHO the demise of Eli Manning has been prematurely predicted. T he Giants games I watched, I saw catchable ball after ball not being hauled in by whoever the heck it was he was throwing to and sometimes deflected into the waiting arms of DBs. Give him an OL and another good WR besides OBJ and a defense, and watch him return from the dead.

It all depends upon whether the Giants new guys agree with the popular evaluation of Eli as "dead QB walking", or whether they think he's still got it.

Right.  The Giants had NO running game last year, a terrible Oline, and their 3 best receivers out for the majority of the year.  Shoring up the Oline, adding a talented young RB and getting Beckham back healthy very likely will result in a night and day difference.

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

I've said what I think the price will be in multiple posts across a variety of topics.  It's a price I'm more than willing to pay. There also aren't more teams looking for QBs this year than any other year.  Just last year the Browns, Denver, Bills, Jets, Cardinals were looking at QBs in addition to the Bears, Texans, Chiefs who took QBs.

Bears, Texans were a lock much like the Bills, Jets, Denver, Browns, and Cards are this year. KC would fit similarly to the Steelers as I mentioned as it would be planning for future. Bills were not in the QB Draft market last year, neither was Denver as they believed they had their guy and Jets were idiots. Cardinals also knew they had Palmer and believed he had one more good year left. So those are just inaccurate. The market is richer with talent and greater at need this year, so trading UP doesn't make sense to me. We disagree, that's cool. I'm not changing your mind, and you're definitely not changing mine. So, time will tell. Go Bills!

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think the Browns will trade out of 1. I think they are locked on Darnold. They won’t take Rosen. If they take someone other than Darnold at 1 (Mayfield or Allen) then the Bills could take either Darnold or Rosen at 2. I just think it’s a lock they take Darnold at 1.

Why do you think the Browns are "locked on Darnold"?

33 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

There are more flags to me than the injuries. I'm sorry, but it really does take a certain mentality to play football in Buffalo NY. I'm not convinced he has it. His reputation as being selfish and entitled is a major red flag to play in this city. 

As Aaron Williams said in his retirement article...in Buffalo football is everything. Just a hunch, gut instinct or whatever but I'm not sold he would ever embrace playing in a blue collar city. 

I think you're 100% right! I seem to remember another QB that was selfish and arrogant and entitled that didn't embrace playing in Buffalo and instead played in Houston for a couple of years. Then fell in love with Buffalo once he got to Town. The guy I'm thinking of came from a Blue Collar background so Buffalo was a natural fit for his true personality. He wasn't the son of an Orthopedic surgeon father who was once a Nationally ranked Ice Skater and a Mother who is a former journalist who was once the Captain of the Princeton LaCrosse team. One young man knew what it meant to sweat and bleed and rub a little dirt on it and get back in the game. He now owns a Gold colored Sport Jacket. The other was born with a Silver spoon in his mouth. Great talent but not sure he would be a good fit in Buffalo. He may or may not one day also own a Gold colored Sport Jacket but either way, I doubt it would be from a career that was spent in Buffalo.

Edited by RobH063

9 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Bears, Texans were a lock much like the Bills, Jets, Denver, Browns, and Cards are this year. KC would fit similarly to the Steelers as I mentioned as it would be planning for future. Bills were not in the QB Draft market last year, neither was Denver as they believed they had their guy and Jets were idiots. Cardinals also knew they had Palmer and believed he had one more good year left. So those are just inaccurate. The market is richer with talent and greater at need this year, so trading UP doesn't make sense to me. We disagree, that's cool. I'm not changing your mind, and you're definitely not changing mine. So, time will tell. Go Bills!

There were tons of rumors about the Cardinals liking Mahomes and someone in the Saints draft room said they were taking Mahomes if he didn't go at our pick.  One of the teams you mention is going to sign Cousins.  Given the Chiefs / Texans / Bears believe their QB questions are answered and only Carson Palmer's retirement opens up a definite QB need, it pretty much stands to logic that the teams needing QBs is pretty much the same as last year, if not less.  You can just go on thinking what you want, we'll agree to disagree.

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They aren’t trading the pick, aren’t taking Rosen, and I think it’s too high for Mayfield or Allen who i think they could get at 4

I realize they have a new regime, but man, taking Barkley at 1 and a QB at 4 really feels like a move the Browns would make.

52 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I just read up on Rosen's durability concerns and it kind of scared me off of him. I think I'd prefer Darnold even though he'd take more time to develop.

I don’t think Darnold would need more time. I think Darnold would have been smarter to stay another year at USC, but he’s just as NFL ready as Rosen is. And he’s better.

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

You never know but if they aren’t taking a QB at 1 they could get a haul for it ... 

If they are happy with any of Rosen / Darnold / Mayfield, they know they'll get one at #4 (or sub Rosen or Allen, because, Browns).

Trading the #1 would potentially take all 3 off the table.

2 minutes ago, RobH063 said:

I think you're 100% right! I seem to remember another QB that was selfish and arrogant and entitled that didn't embrace playing in Buffalo and instead played in Houston for a couple of years. Then fell in love with Buffalo once he got to Town. The guy I'm thinking of came from a Blue Collar background so Buffalo was a natural fit for his true personality. He wasn't the son of an Orthopedic surgeon father who was once a Nationally ranked Ice Skater and a Mother who is a former journalist who was once the Captain of the Princeton LaCrosse team. One young man knew what it meant to sweat and bleed and rub a little dirt on it and get back in the game. He now owns a Gold colored Sport Jacket. The other was born with a Silver spoon in his mouth. Great talent but not sure he would be a good fit in Buffalo. He may or may not one day also own a Gold colored Sport Jacket but either way, I doubt it would be from a career that was spent in Buffalo.

He seems like a young guy who was raised in a manor that could handle being a face of a multi Billion dollar company at 21.  The blue collar working class mantra is overrated.  He is going to be a leader of millionaires.  Those who have issue with what he said just read the headlines and didn't read the articles.  He is an intelligent thoughtful kid.  He is the best thrower of the football in this class.  I believe he has graduated from UCLA already.  Which shows his work ethic to me.  He adds 10 pounds to his lower body then you are in good to go.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

You never know but if they aren’t taking a QB at 1 they could get a haul for it ... 

I will be utterly shocked if the Browns don't take Darnold with the #1 pick. He is clearly the best QB prospect in the draft, in my humble opinion. The tea leaves certainly point to the Browns taking him.

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Huh.  Who are the 4 you put higher?

Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, and Lamar.

I still think Rosen is a 1st round prospect, but I don't like Rosen's combination of injury history, slight build, and lack of mobility. It would scare me to have a guy with a long history of injuries who is also a sitting duck in the pocket and also struggles with decision making under pressure. And I don't think he's as good a passer as his outstanding mechanics would suggest. He struggled with accuracy up until this season, and even this season, he struggled outside of playing against cupcake defenses. He only played one top 30 defense this year and in that game, he was atrocious. And against the mid-tier defenses (ranked 31-75th), he had 7 TDs to 7 potential turnovers (including total fumbles).

Edited by DCOrange