Do you folks think that the Bills will trade up or trade back in the 2018 draft?

njbuff

Do you think they will try and trade up for a franchise QB or do you think they will trade back several times and come away with a load of draft picks.

I think either or is going to happen. Don't see them staying put and just making selections.

What do you think?

I am convinced they will trade up if the opportunity is there. Some if you think Beane is just a pick collector. I don't. I think he has collected these picks for one purpose and one purpose only - to end the QB dilemma that has hamstrung this team for over 20 years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Its hard for me to imagine that one of the top QBs won't drop out of the top 5. Someone always does. Whomever it is this year, the Bills will have a grade on. If he's there and they can get a partner, I believe they'll trade up.

Unfortunately, even though I believe they should, I will guess they won't trade up into the top 5.

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am convinced they will trade up if the opportunity is there. Some if you think Beane is just a pick collector. I don't. I think he has collected these picks for one purpose and one purpose only - to end the QB dilemma that has hamstrung this team for over 20 years. 

I am getting that same feeling. I think they might go all in to get the QB they want this year. Was hoping the KC pick was in the 12 to 18 range.

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed. They are going to do their damnedest to move up for a QB if they don't somehow get Cousins. All of the signs are there.

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I think they may trade up this year. Just hope it doesn't cost the farm.

The farm is worth it if the result is a franchise qb for the next dozen years.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Agreed. They are going to do their damnedest to move up for a QB if they don't somehow get Cousins. All of the signs are there.

The farm is worth it if the result is a franchise qb for the next dozen years.

Very true. Hope it turns out that way.

• Like (+1) 1

A QB that is growing on me after watching some game replays is Luke Falk. If we don't trade up for a QB I would be happy with Falk. Football is this guys life and passion, he is a very accurate passer and has very good vision. He has put on some solid muscle mass for the combine and I see him getting better every year he plays. Not a very vocal guy, lets his play on the field and time spent in the film room do his talking.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

A QB that is growing on me after watching some game replays is Luke Falk. If we don't trade up for a QB I would be happy with Falk. Football is this guys life and passion, he is a very accurate passer and has very good vision. He has put on some solid muscle mass for the combine and I see him getting better every year he plays. Not a very vocal guy, lets his play on the field and time spent in the film room do his talking.

...his name always seemed to be in the mix and then he abruptly disappeared from the radar......what happened in your assessment?..............

Honestly, I will be disappointed if they don’t at least attempt to trade up for a QB with all the extra picks they acquired. Right now, the extra picks are “house money” to me. You can trade 2 #1’s and a #2 and still have a nice all-around draft with your QB in the 1st round and 2 day-2 picks in the 2nd and 3rd. Add Glenn if you need more draft capital, and even throw in one of next year’s high picks if you must.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Except Beane didn't collect the picks.  In any case, we'll see how it goes.

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

Do you think they will try and trade up for a franchise QB or do you think they will trade back several times and come away with a load of draft picks.

I think either or is going to happen. Don't see them staying put and just making selections.

What do you think?

Up in Round 1 but wouldn't be shocked if we trade down in Round 3.

I think they're more likely to trade up than back in this draft.  I wouldn't mind seeing them come away with extra 2019 draft picks though.   An ideal (but unlikely) scenario might be:

Trade pick 21 and 2nd round pick to Washington for 13 to leapfrog Arizona for a QB.  Trade pick 22 for a 2nd round pick this year and a 1st round pick next year.

End result = trade up for 3rd or 4th best QB prospect in the draft, still have 2 2nd round picks, and 2 1st round picks again next year.

Edited by Adam727

Follow me here...

2017 - One first round pick.  Trade their first round pick for a later pick and a 2018 first rounder. CHECK!

2018 - Two first round picks.  Trade both of their first round picks for later picks and 2019 first rounders.  RESULT: likely 4 second rounders.

2019 - Three first round picks.  Trade three of their first round picks for later picks and 2020 first rounders.  RESULT: likely 1 late first rounder, 3 second rounders.

2020 - Four first round picks.  Trade four of their first round picks for later picks and 2021 first rounders. RESULT: likely 2 late first rounders, 3 seconds rounders.

Thereafter - Five first round picks.  Trade the worst four of their first round picks for later picks and subsequent year first rounders. RESULT: likely top 10 pick, late first rounder, 4 second rounders.

Net result - 2021 and forever after - 

• Nearly always a top 10 pick.
  • Pick 1 or 2 or 3 in the draft about every 5 years.
  • Nearly always an additional pick or sometimes two later in the first round.
  • Nearly always two or three additional picks in the second or third round.

Seems worth it to me, when the short-term trade-off is that you get multiple quality players like T.White or Dawkins instead of a single quality player like Lattimore.  Long term, it seems that they would be at a competitive advantage annually.

So I guess I'm for the trade-down. Every year.

Edited by Rock'em Sock'em

18 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Yes. I think they will trade up to ensure that a player they want is acquired, and I think they will trade back if they aren't sold on anyone in their spot and the trade offer is more valuable to them.

This.  I see McDermott's influence in the draft last year where they showed willingness to move both up and down as the players and trade partners available dictated.  I think it just depends upon what falls that day.

I would not be surprised to see one or more player-for-pick trades occur prior to the draft, in order to put us in a more favorable position to trade up to the top should we want to.  If (hypothetically) we were able to package say, Glenn and Pick #21 to try to move up into the top 10 (Bears or 'Niners, possibly even Broncs if they sign a top QB).

19 hours ago, 1st&ten said:

Imo Darnold is the next great QB. If they can get him go for it. The rest of the QB's I'm not sure about.

I truley believe neither Darnold or Rosen will be good for the Bills . those west coast warm weather QB's never pan out in our weather 

I say we sit tight & grab Mason Rudolph or what ever QB they love at the time. Since we have Groy to step in for Woods at Center, I would go LB with the next pick.  I also want us to grab RB Rashaad Penny in the 3rd, he should work well with Shady.. 

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.  I see McDermott's influence in the draft last year where they showed willingness to move both up and down as the players and trade partners available dictated.  I think it just depends upon what falls that day.

I would not be surprised to see one or more player-for-pick trades occur prior to the draft, in order to put us nin a more favorable position to trade up to the top should we want to.  If (hypothetically) we were able to package say, Glenn and Pick #21 to try to move up into the top 10 (Bears or 'Niners, possibly even Broncs if they sign a top QB).

I wish their were more trades in the NFL. Left tackles of course are valuable so I hope we get value for Glenn. I think teams are going to low ball us due to his injury history. I would hang onto him if we don't get a fair offer. Several lineman get injured every year so we could move him next year & get value.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

IMO anyone that wants to move back for picks in the deepest QB draft ever isn't seeing this for the opportunity that it is.  The opportunity to get our franchise QB is finally here, let's not blow it.

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

People are so used to not going for a franchise QB, that when the opportunity arises they they keep repeating the same mantra we’ve all been saying for years- trade back/ fill other spots...hard to fault them...after all the misses the Bills have had over the years, trading up for a QB is a scary proposition to many- I get it...but I, too, feel that there is no better time than right now...we are not always going to have all these picks, and other QB classes will likely not be as strong as this one...the time is now.

• Thank you (+1) 2

I think this regime jettisoned some big money contracts to clear space to sign one of the top FA QBs and they still might not be done. (Glenn, Taylor)

Meanwhile, I also think that while they will trade up, I don't see them going up for a #1 or #2 because the cost would be more than they want to give up in picks. I kinda even doubt they want to go up to #3 or #4 to get one of the top two should they fall.

However, I do think they will trade up to #10 Raiders, #12 Bengals spots to get one of the top four QBs. 

Trade up for a QB a new OBD, trade down and grab a late rounder the same old Whaley purgatory made OBD.

17 hours ago, y2zipper said:

I think trading back and picking up a future #1 or a couple of those makes more sense in the event that Buffalo is out of position to draft a top QB prospect or get a free agent. 

So when we added picks for this years draft thinking it will have the Bills going for it at QB it really was nothing but another nothingburger to do the same again and again. Wash repeat #qbpurgatoryneverends

Edited by xRUSHx