Super Bowl Champion Coach Pederson offers advice to Buffalo Bills (or all middling teams)

“You learn if you play passive, if you play conservative, if you call plays conservatively, you are going to be 8-8, 9-7 every year.  Every year. Frank and I just having that collaborative spirit to talk about things and talk with our quarterbacks and just come up with ways of keeping this game fresh and fun and exciting for our players. And that’s really where it all stems from.”

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 8

Just now, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

“You learn if you play passive, if you play conservative, if you call plays conservatively, you are going to be 8-8, 9-7 every year.  Every year. Frank and I just having that collaborative spirit to talk about things and talk with our quarterbacks and just come up with ways of keeping this game fresh and fun and exciting for our players. And that’s really where it all stems from.”

marrone taking a knee with :54 left in the first half and 2 timeouts says hello

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I, and I'm sure a few others, made this point last night. One of the biggest areas I would like to see growth from McD is in terms of being aggressive. That feels weird to say about a coach who benched his starter in the middle of a playoff run for a rookie QB but it rings true to me. McD, and maybe Dennison contributed, ran a very conservative offense. Punting in OT was the most egregious example but there were many more.

Sure, personnel plays a role in that, but Foles isn't Brady...and neither is Burton for that matter.

If you have talent on your team then you can take more chances. If not then you have to be more conservative like the Bills were last year. I don't think I would categorize McD as overly conservative without a few seasons of data.

Edited by bmur66
  • Like (+1) 6

28 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Whoaoa!  Now this is Exhibit A of how, when you get a guy out from under his mentor, he may morph in a way you do NOT expect.  3 years under Andy Reid as OC did NOT lead me to predict this quote!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

If you have talent on your team then you can take more chances. If not then you have to be more conservative like the Bills were last year. I don't think I would categorize McD as overly conservative without a few seasons of data.

I fully agree. You have to have the horses, on both sides of the ball, to be aggressive. Way too many weaknesses on the Bills this year on O and D which forces a general conservativeness

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

. That feels weird to say about a coach who benched his starter in the middle of a playoff run for a rookie QB .

Stop with that. Your QB came from  a 65 yards passing  game and you think still playing him is be agressive. The move certainly  wasn't go well but not was  a consevative move.

And play agressive without smarts is stupid

Edited by poblano
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Before we all start piling on Buffalo's coaching staff, there's a big difference in playing aggressive with a cast like Blount/Ajayi/Jeffery/Ertz/Agholor/Torrey Smith and Nick Foles playing the best football of his life vs. playing aggressive with guys like Deonte Thompson and Andre Holmes with Tyrod at QB.

Some teams have one formula for winning; for McDermott's team this year, his conservative approach was the correct one.

What's most important is that he learns to adapt as the makeup of his team changes.

• Like (+1) 5

All comes down to having a QB that has the skills to make it happen. That is willing to hang it out to drive that team to a win. 

Without it you get conservative Taylor made of not good enough.

Scheme of a limited QB.

Tyrod is a QB that needs to be carried, sure would be nice to have a QB that is good enough to run a full play book.

Tyrod is a QB that will get coachs fired for his not good enough, just see the last 3 years. 

Edited by xRUSHx

1 hour ago, Buddy Hix said:

I, and I'm sure a few others, made this point last night. One of the biggest areas I would like to see growth from McD is in terms of being aggressive. That feels weird to say about a coach who benched his starter in the middle of a playoff run for a rookie QB but it rings true to me. McD, and maybe Dennison contributed, ran a very conservative offense. Punting in OT was the most egregious example but there were many more.

Sure, personnel plays a role in that, but Foles isn't Brady...and neither is Burton for that matter.

After Dennisons firing, im all in on the "it  was Dennisons call to bench Tyrod" conspiracy. McDerm took the heat cuz hes the HC but promptly fired him at seasons end.

I think with a better offense we will call more aggressive game plans next year. McDerm has to have confidence our team can execute those calls before he hits the red button.

25 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

This year's Bills won more games by being conservative than they would have if they took risks.  

how can you even say that? that's pure speculation.

15 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Tyrod is a QB that will get coachs fired for his not good enough, just see the last 3 years. 

Except for that time Tyrod go his OC promoted to HC in San Diego. :lol:

Give it a rest man. Take that Tyrod dong out of your mouth. Its over. Hes gone.

Were getting a new QB.

#MayfieldtoTheBills@#6

:beer:

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Were getting a new QB.

#MayfieldtoTheBills@#6

The Bills may indeed move up to get Mayfield, but do you really believe that the Jets will trade down to 21/22 so that their divisional opponent can get the QB that they want?

7 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Were getting a new QB.

#MayfieldtoTheBills@#6

He got fired from the Bills.

Many coaches get better jobs after getting fired. Let's not pretend he got a promotion here, he got fired from here, not asked to return, that is FIRED.

Many assume we are going all in on getting a better QB, sadly after so many years of fail at OBD at pulling the trigger on one we could be talking QB again next off season again with Tyrod still in the fold here.

Edited by xRUSHx

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

You don't win games against NE with ground and pound game plan,  this is a passing league and losers will always think they can ground and pound while NE continues to pass their way to Super Bowl after Super Bowl.  He was smart enough to understand you are not beat Brady with FG'S. 

The fact that Bills have one worst group of wr's in the NFL tells you everything you need to know what they want to do.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

He got fired from the Bills.

Many coaches get better jobs after getting fired. Let's not pretend he got a promotion here, he got fired from here, not asked to return, that is FIRED.

Many assume we are going all in on getting a better QB, sadly after so many years of fail at OBD at pulling the trigger on one we could be talking QB again next off season with Tyrod still in the fold here.

Except for that time where ALynn got promoted from RB coach to OC.  Then OC to HC. Then went to a better team as a HC. Lmao

If we dont draft a QB early in the 1st. Im gonna be pissed. We shouldve grabbed mahomes or watson last year. This year will be mutiny if they dont take a good one.

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The Bills may indeed move up to get Mayfield, but do you really believe that the Jets will trade down to 21/22 so that their divisional opponent can get the QB that they want?

Whoops. Thought #6 was the Broncos pick.

2 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

He's absolutely right. Conservative play calling is for those who play not to lose instead of going for the win. The pass to Foles at the goal line was the kind of ballsy call that wins games.

7 minutes ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

A fantastic quote with the literal proof to back it up. Spin it any way you want, unless you have a legendary D that can win games for you, Pederson is exactly right.

Is it though?  This is coming from the coach that had a chance to put the game away by throwing for a 1st down on 3rd-and-6 with 1:56 remaining, but instead chose to run the ball, attempt a non-chip-shot FG, and give the ball to Tom Brady.

An unrelentingly aggressive coach would've taken his 2 shots at getting 6 yards to keep Brady off the field.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Is it though?  This is coming from the coach that had a chance to put the game away by throwing for a 1st down on 3rd-and-6 with 1:56 remaining, but instead chose to run the ball, attempt a non-chip-shot FG, and give the ball to Tom Brady.

An unrelentingly aggressive coach would've taken his 2 shots at getting 6 yards to keep Brady off the field.

Come on...the guy was trying to eat up as much clock as he could and ensure they had an 8 point lead with what time remained. He's aggressive...not stupid.

Edited by ProcessTheTrust
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Something to monitor in the next 1-2 seasons.  Because we can’t rely on playing dolphin fourth string QBs and Andy Dalton every time we want to make the playoffs.

It was McD's first year in cleaning up the Ryan cluster that was left behind. We made the playoffs despite cleaning house and picking up a bunch of draft picks. This constant nitpicking is far from helpful and is not even accurate. Don't forget Pederson went 7-9 last year which fits the middling category. 

My point i, McD got us to the playoffs. I don't like Marrone but he got the Jags (yes the freaking Jags!!) to the AFC championship game. These are 1st year coaches in their programs. You have to give them the opportunity to assemble the right staff, players and scheme to be successful. 

Just now, ProcessTheTrust said:

Come on...the guy was trying to eat up as much clock as he could and ensure they had an 8 point lead with what time remained. He's aggressive...not stupid.

Aggressive would be going for it to keep Brady from getting the ball back; he played it conservative.  

Now, it worked, so that's fine, but let's acknowledge that even Pederson's aggressiveness has its limitations.

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Everything is within context and reason my dude.  You take the 8 point lead.  Now trust your pass rushers to close it because with an 8 point lead rather than a 2 or 3 point lead, they are going to have to pass every play and now your pass rushers can pin their ears back and get the job done.  That's exactly what happened.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Aggressive would be going for it to keep Brady from getting the ball back; he played it conservative.  

Now, it worked, so that's fine, but let's acknowledge that even Pederson's aggressiveness has its limitations.

I guess we'll have to disagree. The guy was aggressive early and often. In that scenario at that end, not trying to eat clock and ensure an 8 point lead would have been insane. He's aggressive...maybe not Madden aggressive, but for an NFL HC, he's right up there. But if you need to win  the argument, you win. 12 points for you.

Just now, NewEraBills said:

Everything is within context and reason my dude.  You take the 8 point lead.  Now trust your pass rushers to close it because with an 8 point lead rather than a 2 or 3 point lead, they are going to have to pass every play and now your pass rushers can pin their ears back and get the job done.  That's exactly what happened.

Actually, that's not what happened.  NE got to midfield and had a chance at the end.

My point is this: would you rather have 2 chances to gain 6 yards, or Tom Brady with the ball and 1:00 to score and convert a 2-point attempt?

The aggressive move is to take your 2 shots at getting 6 yards; that's not what they did.