Gronk contemplating retirement - to pursue acting career per report

Reed83HOF

9 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Absolutely...If Terrell Davis made it then Gronk is a lockĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

If he ends up the 5th best of the era, and there are only 8 tight ends in the Hall to dateā€” will voters stretch to pull in that many guys? Obviously the position has changed but the receiving nature of it puts him against a glut of WRs too.

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Ā 

Ā 

If he ends up the 5th best of the era, and there are only 8 tight ends in the Hall to dateā€” will voters stretch to pull in that many guys? Obviously the position has changed but the receiving nature of it puts him against a glut of WRs too.

Yes because many already consider him the best to ever play the position and he was aĀ  major part of the Patriots dynasty, has Super Bowl rings etc.Ā  He absolutely gets in

14 hours ago, Gordio said:

Ā 

Ā 

Good post.Ā  I will just add if he was smart he would retire.Ā  Listen, love him or hate him Gronk takes a beating out there.Ā  Defenders routinely go after his knees because he is so big to take down.Ā  His style of play & what the Pats ask him to do is very punishing on his body.Ā  He already has had several back surgeries, some knee problems & now you can add a concussion onto the list.Ā  If he doesn't want to be one of those guys in 20 years appearing on Outside the Lines of "where are they now" & being in a wheelchair, he should get out now.Ā  There is nothing left for him to prove.Ā  He will go down as the greatest tight end ever & first ballotĀ HOF.Ā  Ā 

Ā 

If he retired today he most certainly would not go down as the greatest TE ever.

Ā 

maybe top ten, maybe.Ā 

11 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Yes because many already consider him the best to ever play the position and he was aĀ  major part of the Patriots dynasty, has Super Bowl rings etc.Ā  He absolutely gets in

Ā 

Say he retires the same year as witten and Gates ā€” what order do you have them going in?

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Ā 

Say he retires the same year as witten and Gates ā€” what order do you have them going in?

That's a good question and I honestly couldn't tell you what I think the writers do in that situation because I've been completely shocked by some of the decisions they have made over the years.Ā  Now I never said Gronk was a lock to be a first ballot Hall of Famer..that's where lack of longevity is going to work against him.Ā  But he has accomplished enough in 9 years to get in at some point and probably not too long of a wait. Ā 

16 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

That's a good question and I honestly couldn't tell you what I think the writers do in that situation because I've been completely shocked by some of the decisions they have made over the years.Ā  Now I never said Gronk was a lock to be a first ballot Hall of Famer..that's where lack of longevity is going to work against him.Ā  But he has accomplished enough in 9 years to get in at some point and probably not too long of a wait. Ā 

Ā 

I agree he has a decent shot but I donā€™t know that itā€™s slam dunk until he gets closer to 10k

Ā 

witten at 12,500 yards and 68 tds

gates 11,500 and 114 tds

Gronk 7,000 and 76 tds has to be 3rd

Ā 

and those are all behind tony g being eligible with 15000 and 111Ā 

Ā 

jimmy graham is just shy of 7k and has 69 tdsā€” so if gronk stopped today thereā€™s a chance graham pushes him to 6th on the list?

Ā 

By the time your looking at the 5-6th tight endĀ do we see some of these young guys eclipsing his numbers? I guess itā€™s a matter of how the committee treats the pats dynasty. Coach and qb are mainstays that are easy to put in but is gronk a corner stone or a side kick in their minds?

Edited by NoSaint

10 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Ā 

I agree he has a decent shot but I donā€™t know that itā€™s slam dunk until he gets closer to 10k

Ā 

witten at 12,500 yards and 68 tds

gates 11,500 and 114 tds

Gronk 7,000 and 76 tds has to be 3rd

Ā 

and those are all behind tony g being eligible with 15000 and 111Ā 

Ā 

jimmy graham is just shy of 7k and has 69 tdsā€” so if gronk stopped today thereā€™s a chance graham pushes him to 6th on the list?

Ā 

By the time your looking at the 5-6th tight endĀ do we see some of these young guys eclipsing his numbers? I guess itā€™s a matter of how the committee treats the pats dynasty. Coach and qb are mainstays that are easy to put in but is gronk a corner stone or a side kick in their minds?

Ā 

Gonzalez goes in next year as a first ballot-er, no question. He'll be long out of the way by the time Gronk is eligible.

Ā 

Witten and Gates will be tough to get by, but I wouldnt include Jimmy Graham in the conversation. Graham might have some stats, but he isnt an unstoppable game-changer like Gronk has consistently been.

Ā 

Agreed Gronk would be more of a slam dunk with another couple seasons, which would get him around 10k yards. But I'd lean towards putting him in even if he retired this year.

11 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Ā 

If he retired today he most certainly would not go down as the greatest TE ever.

Ā 

maybe top ten, maybe.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Maybe not the greatest ever but pretty dam close.Ā  To not even consider him in the top 10 is a pretty crazy statement imo.Ā 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ā 

Gonzalez goes in next year as a first ballot-er, no question. He'll be long out of the way by the time Gronk is eligible.

Ā 

Witten and Gates will be tough to get by, but I wouldnt include Jimmy Graham in the conversation. Graham might have some stats, but he isnt an unstoppable game-changer like Gronk has consistently been.

Ā 

Agreed Gronk would be more of a slam dunk with another couple seasons, which would get him around 10k yards. But I'd lean towards putting him in even if he retired this year.

Agreed. He's the most dominant TE in league history and it's not even really a debate.

12 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Ā 

Ā 

maybe top ten, maybe.Ā 

There has never been a TE who played the game of football who has been as dominant as Gronkowski. He hasn't played that long, but that's not the issue. He is a man among boys out there.Ā 

4 hours ago, Gordio said:

Ā 

Ā 

Maybe not the greatest ever but pretty dam close.Ā  To not even consider him in the top 10 is a pretty crazy statement imo.Ā 

Ā 

Greats include:Ā 

Tony G

Gates

sharpe

DitkaĀ 

WittenĀ 

Mackey

Newsome

Kieth JacksonĀ 

CasperĀ 

WinslowĀ 

Ā 

Gronk is hovering around Vernon Davis Greg Olsen and Jimmy Graham territory right now in production... and that mattersĀ 

Ā 

if he keeps playing, sure heā€™s got a high probability to go first ballot, maybe he can even ascend to GOAT but if he quits now he is likelyĀ lost behind guys who out-produce him.Ā 

Ā 

On 2/9/2018 at 8:55 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

Ā 

He was not an unstoppable game changer in Eagles Superbowl win despite praise for your hero Donk.

On 2/9/2018 at 9:53 AM, dave mcbride said:

Agreed. He's the most dominant TE in league history and it's not even really a debate.

There has never been a TE who played the game of football who has been as dominant as Gronkowski. He hasn't played that long, but that's not the issue. He is a man among boys out there.Ā 

Ā 

Is he though?

Ā 

What about a guy like jimmy graham getting 3500 yards and 36 tds over a 3 year stretch?Ā 

Ā 

Or gates much of his career?

Ā 

gronk is a game changer no doubtā€” but I think you can make some interesting cases.Ā 

On 2/5/2018 at 12:45 AM, Kelly the Dog said:

Guys like Patricia and McDaniels get way, way, way too much credit. Belichick runs every bit of that team. The reason they are so good are Belichick, Brady, Belichick's game plans on defense and offense, Belichick's roster wrangling, and Belichick's in game adjustments, then the corrdinators and rest of the players.

You should read the following articles. Ā Belicheat is simply a dishonest and dishonorable coach. Ā I think he is lower than Pete rose. Ā Because of his cheating, guys like Brady and Gronkowski are way over rated. Ā When you know what the defense is doing on most plays, it makes the game easier. Ā 

Ā 

https://nypost.com/2015/09/08/spygate-much-worse-than-belichick-goodell-divulged-report/

Ā 

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

Ā 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/11/at-least-five-teams-have-suspected-patriots-of-headset-tampering/

Ā 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/08/patriots-cheating-suspicions-bill-belichick-tom-brady

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like (+1) 1

Gronk is right to retire. He's better off as a friendly meathead personality than continuing to play, he's already won SBs. I know 20/20 but at the time the Bills needed a TE and I wasn't the only one hoping to draft him because of the hometown thing. He was the one respectable thing about the Pats. Until his horrible cheap shot on Tre White. Just so despicable and neither the league nor the Pats or anyone made it right. So, he should retire, I think he'll be successful as a personality, and I wish he wasn't a scumbag but that hit was unforgivable.Ā 

On 2/9/2018 at 2:55 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Ā 

Greats include:Ā 

Tony G

Gates

sharpe

DitkaĀ 

WittenĀ 

Mackey

Newsome

Kieth JacksonĀ 

CasperĀ 

WinslowĀ 

Ā 

Gronk is hovering around Vernon Davis Greg Olsen and Jimmy Graham territory right now in production... and that mattersĀ 

Ā 

if he keeps playing, sure heā€™s got a high probability to go first ballot, maybe he can even ascend to GOAT but if he quits now he is likelyĀ lost behind guys who out-produce him.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

This just sounds like you dont like him to me.Ā  Ā Break it down per game and show us how yards and TD's are in Olsen and Vernon Davis and Graham territory.Ā  Ā If he quits now it affects him but people can and will still consider him among the best ever.Ā  Just like Jim Brown who quit early.Ā  People do remember how dominant you are during the time you did play.Ā  Ā Terrell Davis is in the HOF and he had maybe 4 good years.

Ā 

For example Vernon Davis has played 13 years vs 8 for Gronk, Grong has like 20% more TD's while playing half the games yet you consider that "in the same territory"

Ā 

Gronk's per catch average is historical.

Edited by mattynh

21 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Ā 

Is he though?

Ā 

What about a guy like jimmy graham getting 3500 yards and 36 tds over a 3 year stretch?Ā 

Ā 

Or gates much of his career?

Ā 

gronk is a game changer no doubtā€” but I think you can make some interesting cases.Ā 

Ā 

The numbers don't do Gronk justice, largely in part to injuries. I don't think any tight end in his time has been as dominant a force both as a pass catcher and blocker. Jimmy Graham and Gates have been solid pass catchers, but they do not block (especially Graham).Ā 

Ā 

A couple quick stats: Gronk has more touchdowns than Witten and Shannon Sharpe and he's played for fewer years than those guys. He's averaging 15.1 yards per reception, which is comparable to Randy Moss and Julio Jones. When you consider how many redzone targets he gets, that only makes his YPC number even more impressive.Ā 

6 hours ago, mattynh said:

Ā 

This just sounds like you dont like him to me.Ā  Ā Break it down per game and show us how yards and TD's are in Olsen and Vernon Davis and Graham territory.Ā  Ā If he quits now it affects him but people can and will still consider him among the best ever.Ā  Just like Jim Brown who quit early.Ā  People do remember how dominant you are during the time you did play.Ā  Ā Terrell Davis is in the HOF and he had maybe 4 good years.

Ā 

For example Vernon Davis has played 13 years vs 8 for Gronk, Grong has like 20% more TD's while playing half the games yet you consider that "in the same territory"

Ā 

Gronk's per catch average is historical.

Ā 

Nope. Ā Donā€™t like or dislike him. Just refuse to consider him the greatest tight end to play. Heā€™s great, but there have been other greats, guys that redefined the position into what it has become for him.Ā 

Ā 

Heā€™s been dominant but heā€™s also had durability issues. Ā 

Ā 

There are guys guys who were as dominant as he, but for longer.Ā 

Ā 

Itā€™s unfortunateĀ People have suchĀ short memories... Ā canton doesnā€™t thoughĀ 

Anyone who doesn't think Gronk is among the top 3 TEs of all time, if not the best is Doug Stanhope high. To me it always comes down to a one game scenario. If I had to pick on TE to play one game, it's a no brainer, it's Gronk. So many have a fetish with stats alone, lacking the ability to comprehend the impact a guy has on a game. When Gronk plays, he's an unstoppable force and his presence changes games for both the Pats and the opposition. His per game stats blow the rest away. Gronk averages 70 yards and .75 TDs per game. Blows both Gonzalez and Gates out of the water (go do the homework, it's not ever close). His best season (1300+ yards and 17 TDs makes the best of these two, both elite, pale in comparison) If I'm building a team and can pick any TE ever, he's the only guy worth it. Anyone on the older eras isn't worth the debate. It's like arguing a that the best Model T was as good as a 2018 Ferrari 488. Everyone today is better than everyone in the 70s.

But he's a Patriot and the Bills homers and haters go out of their way to cry in their Blue Lights and can never accept reality.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Big C said:

Ā 

The numbers don't do Gronk justice, largely in part to injuries. I don't think any tight end in his time has been as dominant a force both as a pass catcher and blocker. Jimmy Graham and Gates have been solid pass catchers, but they do not block (especially Graham).Ā 

Ā 

A couple quick stats: Gronk has more touchdowns than Witten and Shannon Sharpe and he's played for fewer years than those guys. He's averaging 15.1 yards per reception, which is comparable to Randy Moss and Julio Jones. When you consider how many redzone targets he gets, that only makes his YPC number even more impressive.Ā 

Ā 

Im not largely disagreeing - but I donā€™t think itā€™s quite the landslide that was portrayed. I agree heā€™s likely the best blocker of the receiving stars (especially as a handful of them were basketball players) but I believe thatā€™s deeper down the list when compiling a ranking of how tight ends impact aĀ game. Not to be ignored but I think there are a few similarly impactful guys ā€”

Ā 

which does leave things like blocking (pro for gronk), health (con) quality of qb play (all have good but gronk the best) as fodder for debate. Gronk provablyĀ wins but I donā€™t think itā€™s a ā€œno one even a close secondā€ type of conversationĀ 

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Ā 

Im not largely disagreeing - but I donā€™t think itā€™s quite the landslide that was portrayed. I agree heā€™s likely the best blocker of the receiving stars (especially as a handful of them were basketball players) but I believe thatā€™s deeper down the list when compiling a ranking of how tight ends impact aĀ game. Not to be ignored but I think there are a few similarly impactful guys ā€”

Ā 

which does leave things like blocking (pro for gronk), health (con) quality of qb play (all have good but gronk the best) as fodder for debate. Gronk provablyĀ wins but I donā€™t think itā€™s a ā€œno one even a close secondā€ type of conversationĀ 

Ā 

I get what you mean. I think when it's all said and done Gonzalez is still #1, but I think there is no question that in his time in the league no other TE has been as dominant in all facets of the game. Having Brady helps, but the offensive gameplanning changed a lot when they added Gronk to the roster too.Ā 

4 hours ago, zonabb said:

Anyone who doesn't think Gronk is among the top 3 TEs of all time, if not the best is Doug Stanhope high. To me it always comes down to a one game scenario. If I had to pick on TE to play one game, it's a no brainer, it's Gronk. So many have a fetish with stats alone, lacking the ability to comprehend the impact a guy has on a game. When Gronk plays, he's an unstoppable force and his presence changes games for both the Pats and the opposition. His per game stats blow the rest away. Gronk averages 70 yards and .75 TDs per game. Blows both Gonzalez and Gates out of the water (go do the homework, it's not ever close). His best season (1300+ yards and 17 TDs makes the best of these two, both elite, pale in comparison) If I'm building a team and can pick any TE ever, he's the only guy worth it. Anyone on the older eras isn't worth the debate. It's like arguing a that the best Model T was as good as a 2018 Ferrari 488. Everyone today is better than everyone in the 70s.

But he's a Patriot and the Bills homers and haters go out of their way to cry in their Blue Lights and can never accept reality.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Best post ever lol

4 hours ago, zonabb said:

Ā 

Ā 

Agree Gronk is the best TE of all time.

Ā 

He has basically invented his own position that previously didn't exist in the sport.

Ā 

He combines huge size and strength with fast enough speed and great hands/athleticism.

Ā 

He's a slow, really goodĀ WR in a huge body.

Ā 

Almost all other Tight Ends are just Tight Ends.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

11 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Ā 

Nope. Ā Donā€™t like or dislike him. Just refuse to consider him the greatest tight end to play. Heā€™s great, but there have been other greats, guys that redefined the position into what it has become for him.Ā 

Ā 

Heā€™s been dominant but heā€™s also had durability issues. Ā 

Ā 

There are guys guys who were as dominant as he, but for longer.Ā 

Ā 

Itā€™s unfortunateĀ People have suchĀ short memories... Ā canton doesnā€™t thoughĀ 

Ā 

Comparing a TE today to one from the seventies is hard to do, the game and that position has changed quite a bit.Ā  Ā He definitely has durability issues.Ā  Ā But all I am saying is if you were to look at production per game or production per year even (which would hit him for his durability) I think you will see his yards and TD's per game/season is at the top of the list.Ā  Ā To me he is the hardest TE to cover I have ever seen.Ā  He catches balls and scores TD's when he is completely covered, he just boxes them out with that enormous torso.

Edited by mattynh

32 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Ā 

Comparing a TE today to one from the seventies is hard to do, the game and that position has changed quite a bit.Ā  Ā He definitely has durability issues.Ā  Ā But all I am saying is if you were to look at production per game or production per year even (which would hit him for his durability) I think you will see his yards and TD's per game/season is at the top of the list.Ā  Ā To me he is the hardest TE to cover I have ever seen.Ā  He catches balls and scores TD's when he is completely covered, he just boxes them out with that enormous torso.

Ā 

Iā€™veĀ watched Antonio gates box people out for a decade.Ā 

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

He'll eventually make the HOF.Ā  Might take him a few years, like it did for Terrell Davis, but he'll get in.Ā 

Ā 

This is where I think he is if he retires now.Ā 

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is perfect for him.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Absolutely.

Ā 

I was going to suggest the same thing, but figured some jokers in here would say the WWE isn't a real career option.Ā  He should absolutely go to the WWE, work up through the minor leagues (it'll be pretty quick for him) to develop on the mic and then transition to acting.Ā  Ā Ā