Eric Wood has career-ending neck injury; will retire

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Process said:

Eric Wood held off the announcement in case he got the call to play in the Pro Bowl on Sunday. He was an alternate behind Maurice Pouncey and Rodney Hudson. Wood was hopeful that could be his farewell, but he had planned on retiring regardless.- Tim Graham

If he would have played in the pro bowl it seems like something that should only limit is ability to play competitive contact sports and not impact other areas of his life. Hopefully that's the case. 

I don't necessarily read it as playing - I thought it was more to wait to see if he got the nod/honor - then come out if he did with the news that he couldn't play and was retiring because of the injury.

Edited by stevewin

I just donated to the Purple Hearts in his honor. I wanted to do something more than just stand w a beer at a sporting event and pretend it’s giving respect. And at the same time honor #70. 

Edited by nedboy7

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

If they have to pay him, they should pay him. That $5 million is hardly going to bust their cap. 

i thought about this too, and assume they would.  he's leaving for specific reasons, and certainly isn't abandoning the team in any way.  

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

If they have to pay him, they should pay him. That $5 million is hardly going to bust their cap. 

They should take a page out of Pats* playbook and come up with a structure where Wood pays back a portion of his signing bonus, and gets that money back by working for PSE as Donald jones' replacement.

• Haha (+1) 1

So many thoughts:

1. Dammit, this always seems to happen to great players.  Guys like Wood, Manning, etc. that are not only great at playing the game, but great locker-room guys and by all apperances great-guys off the field. 

2.  I wanted the Bills to draft a C/G in the draft as a high-level backup, but this is terrible news.  One benefit of drafting this year was to learn from Wood, who would also have helped a new QB.  

3.  Any chance this is "fake news??!" 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Not to get off topic, but Dr. Cappuccino? Really?

That's the guy who performed the operation on Kevin Everett so he can walk again.

I'm not sure if he came up with the cold therapy procedure but he made it famous.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/16/sports/football/16everett.html

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That's the guy who performed the operation on Kevin Everett so he can walk again.

I'm not sure if he came up with the cold therapy procedure but he made it famous.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/16/sports/football/16everett.html

I don't doubt that he does good work, I just couldn't speak to him with a straight face.

This really sucks but hopefully nobody blames Beane/McD for the recent extension which will now further complicate the Bills salary cap and offseason plans in a very negative way.

The silver lining here, we may already have a very viable and affordable in house replacement here who some have been begging to start at guard or center last year based on his 2016 metrics: Ryan Groy.

Eric Wood you will be missed and glad you at least got to make the playoffs too after being here for the 2008 and 2011 debacles.

Sad day for EW#70 a team leader and long time captain.

At least he leaves on his feet.

That guy was banged up with some tough injuries in his career.

Anyone have a link to his charity page 

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I feel bad he didn't get to announce it on his own terms

Well the fans kept speculating and the media kept digging.

You cant leave people hanging for 3 days or more in this era.