What is it with NE? Why isn't this all cool to see?

Imagine an alternate universe, where the Colts with Manning and Dungy were going for SB title #6. Manning has all the career and single season passing records as it is now, but his Colts team has been winning instead of NE. Brady has 2 rings, 1 with NE and 1 with the Broncos, after being traded. Peyton is going for ring #6 in less than 2 weeks.

I would want to see it, because it would be cool. Rack up the stats! Rack up the rings!

Or if it were Rogers and Green Bay going for #5 or #6. Again, cool story I would think. Of if the Seahawks kept their team rolling and the Legion of Boom was looking for #3 or #4 by now. I would find it fun to watch.

Typically I am all for seeing great teams and players rack up accolades. I WANT to see a team go 19-0 (just not NE for some reason). I want to see some QB come in and throw 60 TD in a season and 6,000 yards. I want to see a RB break Emmitt Smith's career yardage mark.

But somehow, I have always hated NE and Brady and wanted them to fall short.

It has nothing to do with the division. I could care less honestly.

I think, for me, that it's about the Tuck Rule and Spygate vs the Rams. And the Chargers with my man Marty as coach winning the game in the playoffs vs NE on an interception only to fumble the damn thing right back and give Brady another shot. Early on every BS thing went their way, and I've just always hated them for it.

But there is something else, something intangible that drives me nuts about them. Every time I want to say "ok, cool, they are just this generation's 49ers" another scandal, story, or some nonsense like the illegal formations vs. the Ravens a couple years ago comes out that just makes it feel like they are a great team that also has ticky tack ways to beat you. I think them being called the greatest of all time with 3 point SB wins involving stolen signals and the failure of TWO teams to just run the ball makes it worse.

I honestly think it would have been easier to swallow if they steamrolled teams in their Super Bowl wins and the tuck rule was never a thing. Spygate was sort of annoying, but to me it didn't move the needle a ton. It was just another reason to dislike them more than anything else. Deflategate was just a joke.

So, what is it about NE? Or are you just excited to see greatness when they play?

• Thank you (+1) 1

The national hate started in 2007.  Their fans refer to that year as the eff you tour, when they routinely ran the score up on less talented teams.

They aren’t popular champions for a reason.  They don’t want to be, and relish the villain role. 

6 minutes ago, Success said:

The national hate started in 2007.  Their fans refer to that year as the eff you tour, when they routinely ran the score up on less talented teams.

They aren’t popular champions for a reason.  They don’t want to be, and relish the villain role. 

I get this, but personally I would usually like that. The Seahawks had a bit of that going on but they weren't able to keep it going. Brash, cocky, mouthy, etc. I would typically find that entertaining. I would usually find it funny/entertaining if a team like Seattle was doing it.

19 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Imagine an alternate universe, where the Colts with Manning and Dungy were going for SB title #6. Manning has all the career and single season passing records as it is now, but his Colts team has been winning instead of NE. Brady has 2 rings, 1 with NE and 1 with the Broncos, after being traded. Peyton is going for ring #6 in less than 2 weeks.

I would want to see it, because it would be cool. Rack up the stats! Rack up the rings!

Or if it were Rogers and Green Bay going for #5 or #6. Again, cool story I would think. Of if the Seahawks kept their team rolling and the Legion of Boom was looking for #3 or #4 by now. I would find it fun to watch.

Typically I am all for seeing great teams and players rack up accolades. I WANT to see a team go 19-0 (just not NE for some reason). I want to see some QB come in and throw 60 TD in a season and 6,000 yards. I want to see a RB break Emmitt Smith's career yardage mark.

I think, for me, that it's about the Tuck Rule and Spygate vs the Rams. And the Chargers with my man Marty as coach winning the game in the playoffs vs NE on an interception only to fumble the damn thing right back and give Brady another shot. Early on every BS thing went their way, and I've just always hated them for it.

But there is something else, something intangible that drives me nuts about them. Every time I want to say "ok, cool, they are just this generation's 49ers" another scandal, story, or some nonsense like the illegal formations vs. the Ravens a couple years ago comes out that just makes it feel like they are a great team that also has ticky tack ways to beat you. I think them being called the greatest of all time with 3 point SB wins involving stolen signals and the failure of TWO teams to just run the ball makes it worse.

I honestly think it would have been easier to swallow if they steamrolled teams in their Super Bowl wins and the tuck rule was never a thing. Spygate was sort of annoying, but to me it didn't move the needle a ton. It was just another reason to dislike them more than anything else. Deflategate was just a joke.

So, what is it about NE? Or are you just excited to see greatness when they play?

..begrudgingly, it is hard to deny they are good....pretty unreasonable to conveniently lump ALL of their accolades into "cheaters" category.......they were stupid enough to get caught and I'd bet there were 31 other teams "snickering" about it...the 'ol "pushing the envelope"......wonder where we would be as far as "favorites (COUGH)" if we had won those 4 SB's in a row......accolades or hatred?........................

1.The Patriots have since become one of the most successful teams in NFL history, winning 15 AFC East titles in 17 seasons since 2001, without a losing season in that period.

2.The franchise has since set numerous notable records, including most wins in a ten-year period (126, in 2003–2012), an undefeated 16-game regular season in 2007, the longest winning streak consisting of regular season and playoff games in NFL history (a 21-game streak from October 2003 to October 2004), and the most consecutive division titles won by a team in NFL history (won nine straight division titles from 2009 to 2017).

3.The team owns the record for most Super Bowls reached (eight) and won (five) by a head coach–quarterback tandem, now heading for #9 in 17 years..

4. New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady recorded his 28th career victory over the Buffalo Bills on Sunday Dec 24.

5. Belichick's career mark is 250 wins and 118 losses for a .679 winning percentage.

5 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I get this, but personally I would usually like that. The Seahawks had a bit of that going on but they weren't able to keep it going. Brash, cocky, mouthy, etc. I would typically find that entertaining. I would usually find it funny/entertaining if a team like Seattle was doing it.

Do you really not understand why they're hated?  We obviously have a little more skin in the hate because they're in our division but there's a reason they're so disliked by all manner of NFL fans.

I do like that they have guts. So many teams are wimpy.

Marrone opted out of the Super Bowl by getting scared of his own shadow. Same with the Falcons. Too scared to take it.

I doubt we ever see a team actually go for 19-0. Why? Scared. scared of injuries. Scared of the attention. Scared to go 18-1. How many of these meat head coaches would feel better being 14-1 in week 17 so they can rest starters and nobody blinks?

1000 yard stare Caldwell had 16-0 right there for the taking and went into his shell, benching Manning after a few series and his team went out with a whimper. Weak. Wimpy. And they lost the Super Bowl too.

So I respect NE for going for it. They didn't rest anyone, nor did the Giants in that week 17 game. That takes guts, which so many coaches just don't have.

39 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

My formative years were spent cheering for the Bird Celtics, so I had opportunities to cheer against great players for the Sixers and Lakers and other teams.

I admired the talent and effort of Erving and Magic and Kareem but never cheered for them, I mostly despised them.

But never once did I resort to childishness in putting them down because they bested my favourite team often.

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

My formative years were spent cheering for the Bird Celtics, so I had opportunities to cheer against great players for the Sixers and Lakers and other teams.

I admired the talent and effort of Erving and Magic and Kareem but never cheered for them, I mostly despised them.

But never once did I resort to childishness in putting them down because they bested my favourite team often.

I don't think that's it for me though. I literally have no reaction at all to Bills/Patriots games, other than to shrug and say "oh well." The Bills start each year 0-2. Just how it is.

The last time I really got worked up for a Bills/NE game was the McKelvin fumble. Few others were even worth watching because the Bills never really have a team that is up to the challenge, and we know that going in. So it has nothing to do with the Bills.

I'm old enough to remember the Fish whipping the Bills all 20 games in the 70s, so this is kind of Keelhauling 2.0.

And Griese and his team weren't nearly as talented as this Pats team.... so on it goes with a second time I've had to wait it out to finish....

All of them have questionable character issues, but Manning and Rodgers come across as nice guys, good guys, funny guys.  Brady comes across as an arrogant jerk.

Guys like Gronk and Edelman are easy to dislike because they display no sportsmanship or class.

These are some of the reasons why I have a dislike for that team, other than their dominance of the Bills for over a decade.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Belichick and Brady are proven cheaters.

Yes, yes they are - hence the dislike even outright hatred towards this team......funny watching games involving the Cheatriots in a bar - most of their fans are vilified!  AND THEY should be!

Eff the Patsies - GO BILLS - actually right now it is GO BIRDS!!!

Pack was cheaters with Lombardi

Cowboys with Landry

Steelers with Noll

whaa whaa whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

winning solves everything, start building a real team in Buffalo and we won't have to cry all offseason again

it's been done a few times...

I think I've rooted for NE in every Super Bowl they've played.  This year, I'm rooting for Philly.  I think these are the two best teams in the NFL and I think Philly has been more consistent - even with the loss of their MVP-caliber QB.  Phenomenal job of coaching, if you ask me.

When it comes to the Super Bowl, I always root for the team I think (100% opinion) deserves it most.

This year, it's the Eagles.  And if the Vikings had won, it would have been them.

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think I've rooted for NE in every Super Bowl they've played.  This year, I'm rooting for Philly.  I think these are the two best teams in the NFL and I think Philly has been more consistent - even with the loss of their MVP-caliber QB.  Phenomenal job of coaching, if you ask me.

When it comes to the Super Bowl, I always root for the team I think (100% opinion) deserves it most.

This year, it's the Eagles.  And if the Vikings had won, it would have been them.

For Pats playoffs games I just sit there and wait for the other shoe to drop on opponents.  Either by greatness from Brady or Carroll/Falcons curling up in the fetal and handing the game over.

Once they got steamrolled by a gold rush by the Ravens and it seemed like it was 21-0 after a few minutes of the game, but that's the only trouncing I can recall.

8 minutes ago, Jasovon said:

It's not just fans all 31 other teams hate the pats the calls they get and the bull **** surrounding them. That whole franchise smells wrong and there will be more controversy coming out in years to come 

Eagles are hated more than the Pats by NFC fans.

58 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

That intangible something else is that they are Bullies!

Belichick runs the score up to 50 - zero if he can.  I was taught that that was unsportsman like.

I hate them because they CHEAT and are BULLIES.  

Both Tom and Bill never have even tried to act civil.

To me, the entire history of the New England Patriots run has been suspect from the start.

Bill Belichick had losing records in 5 out of his 6 first years as head coach.  Tom Brady was a 6th Round draft pick, who really wasn't that great in college.  To this day, even after 15+ years of absolute dominance, you probably can't name even ONE long-term player on those Patriots teams (outside of Brady and probably Rob Gronkowski) who will be a lock for the Hall of Fame.  You would be hard pressed to find any long-term Patriots who even have a chance.  Maybe Randy Moss, who was there for 3 seasons.  Probably Darrell Revis, who was there for 1 season. 

Front office people find success in New England, then go elsewhere and fail.  Coordinators and coaches find success in New England, then go elsewhere and fail.  Players find success in New England, then go elsewhere and fail.  What is it about the Patriots culture/system that is so impossible to duplicate?  Every other successful dynasty in the history of the NFL has yielded copycats.  Every successful dynasty has also eventually been figured out, or fallen victim to players retiring, leaving or getting older.  The Packers, Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys lasted literally half this time on top.  But nothing has stopped the Patriots from rolling.  Not even having a 40 Year Old Quarterback.

What we are witnessing is unlike anything that has EVER occurred in NFL history.  It's not just an underdog beating the odds, or the natural process of records being broken.  It's completely obliterating every standard and limit that has existed since the NFL was created in 1920.  People try comparing Brady to Michael Jordan.  But basketball has always been a sport that could be dominated by a single individual.  Football has always been an ultimate team sport.  But the Patriots are consistently unstoppable with a bunch of no-names poached from other teams.  It's ridiculous.

The first comparison that comes to my mind is when baseball saw Roger Maris' home run record stand for DECADES, only to be suddenly destroyed in 3 straight years by Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds.  It was logical that someone would eventually break the record.  But when it suddenly became easy, you knew something was off.  You knew something was wrong.  And sure enough, those players were all using steroids.

Even before Spygate and Deflategate, there were tons of rumors about the Patriots CHEATING.  There have been questionable calls from the refs coming in their favor since that first season and the Tuck Rule.  I think part of the reason people HATE the Patriots is because they know (even if it hasn't all been found and uncovered) that something is NOT RIGHT about what we are witnessing... 

You can find it all over this message board.  You can find it all over Twitter.  You even hear players and announcers utter it sometimes.  Someday we are going to learn the truth about the "New England Dynasty."  It might not be pretty.

Edited by mjt328
  • Like (+1) 6

NE is a paradox.  They have legitimate greatness at HC and QB

They also have been caught cheating - which makes one wonder what cheating has not been caught 

The number of penalties called against them vs opponents is disparate enough that one questions whether it can result from coaching and player discipline

They regularly push the envelope on interpretation of the rules (e.g., playoffs vs Ravens)

The sad thing to me is I think they have the talent to win without cheating and envelope-pushing but they do anyway

So no, while I have watched them, I can't just enjoy it the way I would if it were GB or the 49ers or N'Orleans or Pitts.

Lately the ref'ing has been driving me to switch off - though not unique to the Pats games

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, mjt328 said:

To me, the entire history of the New England Patriots run has been suspect from the start.

Bill Belichick had losing records in 5 out of his 6 first years as head coach.  Tom Brady was a 6th Round draft pick, who really wasn't that great in college.  To this day, even after 15+ years of absolute dominance, you probably can't name even ONE long-term player on those Patriots teams (outside of Brady and probably Rob Gronkowski) who will be a lock for the Hall of Fame.  You would be hard pressed to find any long-term Patriots who even have a chance.  Maybe Randy Moss, who was there for 3 seasons.  Probably Darrell Revis, who was there for 1 season. 

Front office people find success in New England, then go elsewhere and fail.  Coordinators and coaches find success in New England, then go elsewhere and fail.  Players find success in New England, then go elsewhere and fail.  What is it about the Patriots culture/system that is so impossible to duplicate?  Every other successful dynasty in the history of the NFL has yielded copycats.  Every successful dynasty has also eventually been figured out, or fallen victim to players retiring, leaving or getting older.  The Packers, Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys lasted literally half this time on top.  But nothing has stopped the Patriots from rolling.  Not even having a 40 Year Old Quarterback.

What we are witnessing is unlike anything that has EVER occurred in NFL history.  It's not just an underdog beating the odds, or the natural process of records being broken.  It's completely obliterating every standard and limit that has existed since the NFL was created in 1920.  People try comparing Brady to Michael Jordan.  But basketball has always been a sport that could be dominated by a single individual.  Football has always been an ultimate team sport.  But the Patriots are consistently unstoppable with a bunch of no-names poached from other teams.  It's ridiculous.

The first comparison that comes to my mind is when baseball saw Roger Maris' home run record stand for DECADES, only to be suddenly destroyed in 3 straight years by Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds.  It was logical that someone would eventually break the record.  But when it suddenly became easy, you knew something was off.  You knew something was wrong.  And sure enough, those players were all using steroids.

Even before Spygate and Deflategate, there were tons of rumors about the Patriots CHEATING.  There have been questionable calls from the refs coming in their favor since that first season and the Tuck Rule.  I think part of the reason people HATE the Patriots is because they know (even if it hasn't all been found and uncovered) that something is NOT RIGHT about what we are witnessing...

....seriously?.....ask Grogan how "suspect" their azz whupping was in 1985 SB versus the Bears.........get some new material...............

Just excited to see greatness when it plays.  

Brady is amazing to watch and if you ever listen to his interviews he was one of the most humble, level headed, opponent praising players you’ve ever seen in sports.

What has Brady ever done to hurt Buffalo?  Beat them?  Lol.  So what?  Buffalo being terrible is all of their own short sighted spin making.  Even if Buffalo would split New England would they ever have won the division?

lady on Fox said it best.  Greatness is boring because it so consistent and this environment we live in needs freshness.

plus there is a little of the mentality that everyone gets trophy in todays society which The Patriots reAlly fly in the face of.

shoot I still miss Favre and Manning and will miss Brady and Rodgers and Brees and all the greats.

football fan first

buffalo Bills fan second (unless they earn it back)

The Pats* do not really bother me... it is their bandwagon POS fanbase. I used to see some games up in Foxboro/Sullivan stadium with more opponent fans than their own. I remember in the 86' season going to the 8 and 3 vs 3 and 8 Bills (we lost) game. It was a close one. There were a TON of Bills fans. They won the AFC East that year and were coming off of a super bowl run the year before. There fans were non-existent for that game.

Well... for years after they sucked and heard nothing from them. They form a dynasty and BOOM "I have been a loyal fan" BS comes spewing out of their mouths. Their fans are a joke. I am just waiting for the days of them sucking again and see who is still proud of that team.... meh

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

That's true but it seems a majority of fan bases feel the same way :lol: 

True and poll makes sense..

Nobody other than Pats fans want to see the same team win again.  Winners often become the hated because those other fans are tired of losing to them.  Some transcend past it and are loved by most of America, but more often than not, dynasty draw haters ESPECIALLY in the era of Social Media that digs into every crevice possible to tear them down.  Just like how I used to always root against the Bulls and every Lebron James team because I was so sick of hearing about how Jordan is better than Magic or Lebron is better than Kobe.  My Lakers were always hated because they were too flashy (showtime) or Shaq is the only reason Kobe is good crap.  It just comes with winning.  

The internet is mostly driven by whining, hate, and trolls.  

That being said F the Pats, I hope they in embarrassing fashion.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

I hate NE's fans more than the team....Brady is usually very humble and always says the right things...he's not the most talented but became the GOAT ( IMO ) with pure drive and hard work.....he out prepares you...that's how he beats you....Lots of fans call him an ass, a jerk etc...I don't see it....he sells diet books at $200.00....so what...I'm not going to buy it...... And of course, BB IS an ass to reporters...but frankly, if he was my HC, I wouldn't give a damn....the guy is a football genius....

I'm one of the few Bills fans who thinks the cheating thing is way overblown.....they are good....really, really good.....

The sustained infatuation and fascination with New England at this website is strong evidence of their greatness, even if assisted by officiating help or flat out cheating.

They are hated b/c they are successful and win consistently.  After a while, everyone hates that.

John Wooden did the same thing in college basketball from the mid '60s to the mid '70s, winning the NCAA tournament in 1964, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, and 1975!

People hated him and/or UCLA in those days too.

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....seriously?.....ask Grogan how "suspect" their azz whupping was in 1985 SB versus the Bears.........get some new material...............

Yeah OK.  Go back.  Read it again. 

The start of the New England dynasty "run" is generally considered 2002, when they won their first Super Bowl against the Rams.

I was clearly not referring to the entire history of the New England Patriots franchise.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

I'm old enough to remember the Fish whipping the Bills all 20 games in the 70s, so this is kind of Keelhauling 2.0.

And Griese and his team weren't nearly as talented as this Pats team.... so on it goes with a second time I've had to wait it out to finish....

How ever do you do it? :rolleyes:

For me I just knew I couldn’t stand Tom Brady and the Patriots from the moment I realized that Drew Bledsoe ( who I respected before we had him) lost his job due to injury. Turned me sour on the whole organization. Then Brady’s long hair. Then Giselle. Not to mention all the controversies. Emperor Bill is as unlikable as possible all the time and without fail.

Most of all I’m totally envious with the success they’ve had. They cheat and do all the dirty crap that it takes to win games in this league. I hate them and don’t respect them at all. However, If they were instead Buffalo Bills players and coaches and our team won all those rings... I’d love those guys so much. 

I hope the eagles win but if a patriots win meant Tom Brady and the emperor would retire I’d be more than ok with it.

Edited by SJDK
Edit: knew not new, blind hatred for patriots has me frazzled

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Yeah OK.  Go back.  Read it again. 

The start of the New England dynasty "run" is generally considered 2002, when they won their first Super Bowl against the Rams.

I was clearly not referring to the entire history of the New England Patriots franchise.

...apologize...........so noted................