Thoughts on Calvin Ridley in the 1st?

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Benjamin and Mathews were both proven WRs in the league before they came to Buffalo. Both were injured for parts of the season but when they played they were pretty much invisible to Tyrod. Can we use an upgrade at WR? Absolutely. But we also need someone who can get the ball to them...

Matthews didn’t play for half the year. He’s listed at 10 games played but got taken out early in a few of those games. When he did play , he struggled to create separation and dropped key passes.

Benjamin was hurt for pretty much every single game as he had a torn miniscus.

So an injured Benjamin, Zay Jones and thomson is about as bad as it gets for an NFL receiving trio 

Edited by billsfan11
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I’m still convinced that our WRs were terrible because of the play of our QB....

"Despite all the shifts, Buffalo fielded one of the worst wide receiver groups in the NFL in 2017. Bills wide receivers averaged 2.47 yards of separation when their quarterback released the ball, ranking dead last, with the second-to-last team averaging 2.61. Quarterback Tyrod Taylor seems destined to move on from the team following a peculiar midseason benching. The Bills will have to settle matters in their receiver group while they start over under center."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000905681/article/the-10-most-underperforming-units-of-the-2017-nfl-season

Matthews looked like a TE out there most of the time. We need some explosiveness. I like Ridley from what I’ve seen, but wonder if we can’t get some explosiveness with less draft capital. I like to build out from the lines, and we’ve got some needs there. Thankfully, I’m not in charge of our draft! 

Buffalo could use a WR like Ridley, but he’ll be 24 as a rookie and I think Buffalo has more pressing needs to address. Depends on how free agency goes though.

I think targeting Auden Tate in the 2nd or 3rd might be a better move.

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Buffalo could use a WR like Ridley, but he’ll be 24 as a rookie and I think Buffalo has more pressing needs to address. Depends on how free agency goes though.

I think targeting Auden Tate in the 2nd or 3rd might be a better move.

That’s the crazy thing about Ridley. He’s a year younger than Watkins!! 

1 minute ago, BillsRdue said:

Add Dawkins, Wood, maybe Benjamin (based on career, not injury) 

Fair enough, was more talking about last years production though.

Wood was streaky, had some good games and bad games 

Benjamin was injured so he gets a bit of a mulligan.

Dawkins looked pretty good for the most part 

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Matthews stinks. He won’t be back. He was available because he was #4 on Philly’s depth chart. He wouldn’t be a solid 2 here. Let him go and don’t think twice.

I like Kirk for this team too. We need explosiveness. 

Really? You watched that group and were good with their performance? They were voted the 8th worst position group in the entire NFL on one site (don’t remember which but it is on here somewhere). They don’t separate, they don’t run after the catch, they drop the ball and they don’t scare anyone down the field. The Bills WRs are bad. They need a #1/2 (depending on what people think of Benjamin) and another guy that they can count on AND to bring back Thompson. 

I think that that they should bring in Paul Richardson and draft Anthony Miller or Christian Kirk in the 2nd.

Benjamin

Richardson

Miller/Kirk

Zay

Thompson

Reilly

That group is much better IMO. They can actually make plays.

Paul Richardson you're saying is an upgrade over Jordan Matthews?

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Paul Richardson you're saying is an upgrade over Jordan Matthews?

Absolutely believe that he is, especially on this team. Richardson really developed this year and is explosive. His arrow is pointing up while Matthews arrow is pointing down for the 2nd straight year. He also is a much, much better fit next to Benjamin.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Give me Christian Kirk instead my man is a flat out baller . Lines up everywhere , excellent after the catch , great hands, excellent return skills. Reminds me of OBJ how there both twitchy and explosive. 

I got to see Kirk twice last season, home vs. UCLA and home vs. Prairie View A&M.

Throwing out the 2TD game vs Prairie View A&M because its PVAM... he's played pretty well - more so as a returner than a receiver IMO.

From the other games I saw on TV, I really like him but he's a late 2nd - mid 3rd round pick. 

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

I like Ridley a lot but I don’t want to spend a 1st rd pick on a WR

and certainly not on a slow plodder. 

We have already seen slow possession guys like Matthews and Jones and even R Woods can/could not produce for Bills.

Bills need a Sammy Watkins type.

Edited by cba fan

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Absolutely believe that he is, especially on this team. Richardson really developed this year and is explosive. His arrow is pointing up while Matthews arrow is pointing down for the 2nd straight year. He also is a much, much better fit next to Benjamin.

Agreed.  I’d take Richardson too

If I were the Bills I would treat this off-season as if Zay Jones is a complete bust and won't be with us after this year. So yes I want a receiver in the first 2 rounds. Preferably someone speedy so Christian Kirk at the bottom of the 1st would be my pick, maybe even trade down in the 1st because he should be available in the later 20s.

11 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I’m still convinced that our WRs were terrible because of the play of our QB....

Well I said draft a QB, too.

Regardless, Deonte Thompson was our best WR this year by far and he ended up with by far the best year of his career.  You wanna blame Tyrod for Jones's rookie yips and half a Kelvin Benjamin?  Be my guest.

9 hours ago, jr1 said:

Good stuff... thanks... and I see Buffalo as a potential fit even before we got Dabol.

7 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I’m not for taking a WR high in any draft. QBs make WRs better not the other way around. Like the player, just not in favor of it

Depends on the combo.

I think Andy Dalton is better because of AJ Green more than the other way around.

Hell, Tyrod was better with Sammy.

Don't know much, again, about Ridley, but sounds like he could come in and be immediately productive at WR.

7 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I’m sorry but I’m having a hard time letting “realized after reading about Dabol's new system that the real difficulty is actually largely the skill position players rather than the QB adapting to the system” go unchecked.

Because...?

14 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Julio Jones is a rare specimen, Ridley was said to have ran a 4.59 at his college 40 yard dash which is still pretty decent for a guy 6'3" 224 lbs imo http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/03/calvin_ridley_40_time_among_no.html

I think Ridley is more comparable to Larry Fitzgerald then Julio Jones, Jones had ridiculous blazing speed where Ridley has great hands and can run out the routes with ease.

Ridley is 6’1” 190...

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If I were the Bills I would treat this off-season as if Zay Jones is a complete bust and won't be with us after this year. So yes I want a receiver in the first 2 rounds. Preferably someone speedy so Christian Kirk at the bottom of the 1st would be my pick, maybe even trade down in the 1st because he should be available in the later 20s.

Yikes.

Honestly after watching Corey Davis, Mike Williams and John Ross all go in the top 10 and never make a single game changing play all year for each of their teams, I'm sour on burning high picks for wideouts, even with the sorry state of our WR roster.

We need QB, DT, and LB so bad, guys that are affecting every play on the field in most cases.    

I don't want to draft a single skills position player before drafting a QB. To do so would be a complete waste. We've had decent WRs here and above average RBs - we haven't had a competent passer to distribute the ball to them since Kelly. We could have Hopkins and Brown at WR and they'd average 550 yds/ 6 TDs per year with the current stable of QBs.  

To me, this seems like a draft to wait on the WRs. Ridley may be the best of the bunch, but as a 24 year old rookie, I'm not sure he's really worth a 1st round pick. For the Bills, I'm looking for a guy with a decent size/speed combo that can line up out wide. Some of the guys in the middle of the draft that I like are:

Auden Tate - 6'5", solid speed, potential matchup nightmare

Marcel Ateman - 6'4", solid speed, he impressed me more than James Washington at OKST. Seems to have potential as a downfield/red zone target; he'll be in the Senior Bowl.

J'Mon Moore - 6'3", solid speed. He was on the receiving end of a lot of Drew Lock TDs this year. I like him a lot; he'll be in the Senior Bowl.

Daurice Fountain - 6'1", 210, he lit it up at the East-West Shrine practices, had 61 yards on 3 catches in the actual game. He looks like he has some really good hands in the videos I've seen of his, has a 40" vert, long wingspan, and supposedly has great speed.

Don't like them so much as I'm biased towards them/am interested in learning more about them:

Steve Ishmael - I'm a Syracuse grad. I'm not sure Ish is able to separate the way you want in the NFL, but he has amazing hands and is really well-built at 6'2", 210.

Jaleel Scott - Small school guy, 6'6"; will be at the Senior Bowl

Jake Wieneke - Small school guy, 6'4", was a standout at East-West Shrine practices, insane 16 TDs this past season

Edited by DCOrange

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:02 AM, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Julio Jones is a rare specimen, Ridley was said to have ran a 4.59 at his college 40 yard dash which is still pretty decent for a guy 6'3" 224 lbs imo http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/03/calvin_ridley_40_time_among_no.html

I think Ridley is more comparable to Larry Fitzgerald then Julio Jones, Jones had ridiculous blazing speed where Ridley has great hands and can run out the routes with ease.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:18 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

:huh: Those numbers are not for Ridley. Six-foot-3, 224-pound redshirt junior Cooper Bateman, athletic enough that Alabama briefly moved him to wide receiver last spring, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.59 seconds. 

Correct...Ridley is a thin-framed speed burner.  He has a huge YPC and would be STEAL at #21.   He'd fit in perfectly with Benjamin and Jones.  He will not be there for us though..  

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:05 AM, OldTimer1960 said:

I can agree with that. 

I wasn’t arguing that the Bills need to keep him, but he is a good productive starting NFL WR, at least in my opinion.

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

To me, this seems like a draft to wait on the WRs. Ridley may be the best of the bunch, but as a 24 year old rookie, I'm not sure he's really worth a 1st round pick. For the Bills, I'm looking for a guy with a decent size/speed combo that can line up out wide. Some of the guys in the middle of the draft that I like are:

Auden Tate - 6'5", solid speed, potential matchup nightmare

Marcel Ateman - 6'4", solid speed, he impressed me more than James Washington at OKST. Seems to have potential as a downfield/red zone target; he'll be in the Senior Bowl.

J'Mon Moore - 6'3", solid speed. He was on the receiving end of a lot of Drew Lock TDs this year. I like him a lot; he'll be in the Senior Bowl.

Daurice Fountain - 6'1", 210, he lit it up at the East-West Shrine practices, had 61 yards on 3 catches in the actual game. He looks like he has some really good hands in the videos I've seen of his, has a 40" vert, long wingspan, and supposedly has great speed.

Don't like them so much as I'm biased towards them/am interested in learning more about them:

Steve Ishmael - I'm a Syracuse grad. I'm not sure Ish is able to separate the way you want in the NFL, but he has amazing hands and is really well-built at 6'2", 210.

Jaleel Scott - Small school guy, 6'6"; will be at the Senior Bowl

Jake Wieneke - Small school guy, 6'4", was a standout at East-West Shrine practices, insane 16 TDs this past season

I like Parris Campbell....can be had in later rounds.  Incredible athlete, 6'1", 208 lbs with speed to burn.  Hurt by Ohio State offense running attack.    

15 minutes ago, Loosh said:

I like Parris Campbell....can be had in later rounds.  Incredible athlete, 6'1", 208 lbs with speed to burn.  Hurt by Ohio State offense running attack.    

Campbell is returning to school.