Kiper Mock Draft: Josh Allen #1

11 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Allen is a really bad QB. 

I don't care how far he can throw the ball or how fast he is, his college game film is worse than EJ's. 

He's a great athlete, but his mechanics are horrendous, his accuracy is scattershot and he has few natural instincts for the game. 

I don't see anything that translates to future NFL Franchise QB. 

I could have posted 5 more videos from that thread, each one showing a different flaw. His accuracy is awful. His timing is awful. His feel for pressure is awful. His mechanics are awful. His field vision is awful. But he's a human JUGS machine so 1st round guaranteed.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think his throwing mechanics are very good. Very smooth. 

His mechanics are good, like a kid who has practiced them everyday since he was 12.  However, for a guy who is 6'4 he sure gets a lot of balls batted at the line of scrimmaged.  watched six games on him and was very surprised by the amount of times that happened.

On Josh Allen, I am blown away by the amount of love he gets.  Dont see it at all. 

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I could have posted 5 more videos from that thread, each one showing a different flaw. His accuracy is awful. His timing is awful. His feel for pressure is awful. His mechanics are awful. His field vision is awful. But he's a human JUGS machine so 1st round guaranteed.

Good. Someone can waste a pick on him and a better QB prospect will fall because of it.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He's the type of QB who gets a whole front office fired in a year or two. Some coach, or GM with an ego will think they can mould him into something he'll never become. 

He's simply not a good football player. He was a mediocre QB in a bad conference, and people think he's going to suddenly become a franchise QB at the NFL level against better competition?

Allen looks like a Day 3 developmental prospect who you take a flyer on. The talk of him going top 10, or even fist overall is insane. I'm dead serious when I say EJ Manuel's college tape (which was awful) was better than Allen's. 

Edited by jrober38

I certainly don't claim to be an expert on this type of stuff, but I thought I would look at Rosen in comparison to Brady and when comparing college highlights (I know they are HIGHLIGHTS, not the best gauge of talent), I see a lot of similarities in that they both are able to drop back read the field and get the ball out to their intended receiver accurately and on time.  I will be the first to say, I'm not sure about Rosen's personality, but the kid looks to be the real deal and I would love for Cleveland to do the Brownsie thing and take Allen 1st overall, allowing us to trade up with the Giants to get this kid.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Good. Someone can waste a pick on him and a better QB prospect will fall because of it.

I'm genuinely terrified we will go for Allen because our regime is used to Cam Newton. And he's probably the QB that will be available in our range. I hope I'm wrong.

Just now, HappyDays said:

I'm genuinely terrified we will go for Allen because our regime is used to Cam Newton. And he's probably the QB that will be available in our range. I hope I'm wrong.

I don't think he will be available when we pick, and I don't believe we are interested enough in him (at this point anyway) to trade up for him.

57 minutes ago, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

(I know they are HIGHLIGHTS, not the best gauge of talent),

I saw a Chirs Brown interview with Coach Gailey back in the day and Chris brought up a highlight video of somebody, don't remember who.  Coach Gailey said, hightlight videos can make anybody look great.  We could make a highlight video of you Chris, and you'd look great too.

Not picking on you and your videos.  Thanks for posting.  Just reminded me of that. It was funny.

Now back to serious QB analysis ...

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I prefer the term human howitzer 

20 hours ago, jrober38 said:

If Baker Mayfield is available with the 4th pick I'd give up the compensation you described (three firsts and a second). 

I think Mayfield is going to be a really good NFL QB. I think he's got all the tools and the mental makeup to be a good franchise QB. 

I am surprised to hear such enthusiasm from you.  You are generally in the very skeptical, more critical than not camp when it comes to evaluating qb.  And to be fair, most qbs don't work out.  I don't claim to have superior scouting skills or anything, but I am also high on Mayfield so I hope he is a target for us.  Just out of curiosity:  you seem to be placing a lot of value on Mayfield's college production.  How do you distinguish between valuing college production in this case and perhaps dismissing it with air raid qbs like Mahomes?

5 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I am surprised to hear such enthusiasm from you.  You are generally in the very skeptical, more critical than not camp when it comes to evaluating qb.  And to be fair, most qbs don't work out.  I don't claim to have superior scouting skills or anything, but I am also high on Mayfield so I hope he is a target for us.  Just out of curiosity:  you seem to be placing a lot of value on Mayfield's college production.  How do you distinguish between valuing college production in this case and perhaps dismissing it with air raid qbs like Mahomes?

I don't care about his college production too much.

I think he's a heady player who understands the game, knows how to change the play to attack a defense and is a really good passer of the football, in terms of ball placement and the ability to throw with touch.

It's just a stat, but the success rate for guys who post college Total QBR ratings above 90 is very good, and Mayfield did that in consecutive years. The only players to also surpass that mark since 2004: Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, and Johnny Manziel. Pretty good company if you ask me. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Interesting stat on Josh Allen, printed after the loss to Oregon this year: "The last two seasons against Nebraska, Iowa, and Oregon, all power five teams, Allen was 48 for 96 for 427 yards, with one TD pass and eight interceptions."

Yikes.

13 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Interesting stat on Josh Allen, printed after the loss to Oregon this year: "The last two seasons against Nebraska, Iowa, and Oregon, all power five teams, Allen was 48 for 96 for 427 yards, with one TD pass and eight interceptions."

Yikes.

His hype is based on his size and arm strength. He’s seriously not that good. 

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I'm curious to see how people react to that. I personally think all of it (besides becoming a better person because how would I know?) is true, but I'm sure people will be annoyed that he's seemingly making excuses/is saying he put the team on his back when the defense was much better than the offense this season.

20 minutes ago, wppete said:

It’s had to be Rudolph if we don’t trade up in the top 5. I’m very happy if we select Rudolph.

Watch YouTube highlights from Bryce Petty at Baylor. They are the exact same player. Doesn't mean Rudolph won't make it. It just means take these highlights with a grain of salt. It's an air raid offense with 1 read and really good WR's that are wide open. There aren't any tight window throws in those clips. They are lob passes down field to guys that blew by the secondary

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Watch YouTube highlights from Bryce Petty at Baylor. They are the exact same player. Doesn't mean Rudolph won't make it. It just means take these highlights with a grain of salt. It's an air raid offense with 1 read and really good WR's that are wide open. There aren't any tight window throws in those clips. They are lob passes down field to guys that blew by the secondary

I want someone from a pro system if I am drafting a QB in Rd 1. Otherwise I will take the BPA and look to grab a QB later.

On 19/01/2018 at 8:52 PM, jrober38 said:

He's the type of QB who gets a whole front office fired in a year or two. Some coach, or GM with an ego will think they can mould him into something he'll never become. 

He's simply not a good football player. He was a mediocre QB in a bad conference, and people think he's going to suddenly become a franchise QB at the NFL level against better competition?

Allen looks like a Day 3 developmental prospect who you take a flyer on. The talk of him going top 10, or even fist overall is insane. I'm dead serious when I say EJ Manuel's college tape (which was awful) was better than Allen's. 

This. If the Bills picked him early in the 4th round you'd say... intruiging pick. In the first I would be as close as I have ever been to giving up on this team altogether. 

44 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I have watched a lot of tape of both. They are not. And there are both tight window throws and progressions among that video. Now are there a lot of one read and wide open receiver plays? Yes. They have a coach who has a great college scheme and talented wide receivers. That doesn't go against Rudolph. If I never saw evidence he could play when things are tricky it would worry me more.... but there is evidence on his tape, particularly his early season tape. 

That does not mean Rudolph is a prefect prospect. He has his flaws and he has his warts and some of them were on show as the season progressed. Missing the senior bowl hurts him more than it might hurt others... not on the field but as an interview opportunity because teams are really going to want to probe his understanding of defenses and what he sees. 

But to say he is Bryce Petty is way off. Way, way, way off. Derek Carr is a much better comparison... another "air raid" Quarterback. I have Rudolph graded very similarly to where I had Carr. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

I think we need a tall wide receiver like James Hardy and probably a DT for our scheme like Torell Troup.

If you draft for need, you end up with inferior football players and other needs.  Just keep getting the best players you can and fill needs with free agency.

The one place this is different is if you need a QB and you see one you can get.  That is different and if McD and company see any of these guys as a franchise QB they should try to get them if the likelihood and cost match up.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

If Cleveland takes Mayfield at #1, NFL needs to force Haslem to sell the team.  Maybe he can ask the cab driver who to pick again and for old times' sake ask Mayfield to wear a helmet and pads at his pro day.  I think any QB Cleveland takes at #1 is set up to fail.  Since none of these QB's are can't miss guys and will always be compared to Wentz and Watson, if I were Cleveland I'd give Cousins whatever he wants and take Barkley #1.  

• Haha (+1) 1