More & more Mock Drafts have us taking Rudolph....

BigDingus

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-josh-rosen-to-broncos-colts-grab-saquon-barkley/

#21 Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State. Rudolph checks the experience and production boxes Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane like, and they don't have to trade up to get him. He'll have to learn the footwork that's needed when taking snaps from under center, but he's a pocket quarterback first who refined his game in his last season in Stillwater.

#22 Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA. Davenport has all the tools to be a consistent havoc-wreaker off the edge, and Buffalo needs to bolster it's pass-rush. The University of Texas at San Antonio product isn't very raw, either. In college, he displayed a wide variety of counter moves to get to the quarterback, and he's a long, twitchy athlete.

Ugh...I really hope this isn't the case. Not in the first round at least. Here's another one from a little earlier -. http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/12/13/2018-nfl-mock-draft-updated-4-round-projections-heading-into-week-15/3/

21. Buffalo Bills | Mason Rudolph | QB | Oklahoma State

Tyrod Taylor doesn’t look like the long-term answer for the Bills at quarterback, and the early returns aren’t promising on Nate Peterman. A bit of a reach this early, Rudolph is big, athletic and talented, but needs more polish and consistency.

And another one - https://www.landof10.com/big-ten/nfl-mock-draft-2018-first-round-projections-top-players-2018-nfl-draft-order-january-10

And yet another - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2752231-2018-nfl-mock-draft-top-prospects-and-1st-round-projections-before-playoffs (although they have us picking at 26?)

I do like that a lot of them have us taking his buddy James Washington, but do we really need to spend a 1st rounder on a WR when we don't have a QB? I'd rather us take a linemen over a WR with either of our first 2 picks... I mean we have 2 former #1 WR's of other teams in Matthews & Benjamin, plus we spent a 2nd on James Har...I mean Zay Jones. 

Anyway, if there's one QB I hope we don't take in the 1st round it's Mason Rudolph, and all these mock drafts have me worried.

I don't watch enough college football to have an opinion on anything other than stats.  He does have good size, throws a lot of TD's, few Int's.   On the other hand, completion percentage of about 60, and takes a lot of sacks (31 last year).  

For those who do watch a lot of college football: what is the major difference between Rudolph and a guy with similar numbers like Faulk?  

15 minutes ago, Rico said:

If the Browns draft Darnold at #1 and Rosen is somehow still there at #4 (as per the CBS mock), I would be pissed if the Bills didn’t move up to get him.

The Colts at 3 and Browns at 4 both seem ripe for a trade up.  If the Giants aren't sold on one of the QBs, I'd have to believe they are open for a trade as well.  The big question would likely be if the Bills have enough other ammunition to overcome only dropping to 5 or 6 from the Broncos or Jets.

Realistically we can give up #21 / #22 / 2019 1st and one of our 2018 2nds and only be "out" the 2019 1st.  Is that better than #5 or #6, plus a 2019 1st from a potentially worse team plus another later pick?

God I wish we had traded with Houston instead of Kansas City....

Guys, Rudolph could be the next Aaron Rodgers. Please forgive me for the comparisons first impression and understand that I mean the knocks against him. 

For all all intents and purposes, Rudolph has the arm strength, leadership, accuracy, and size and athleticism to succeed in the NFL. 

So what’s the knock? Same as it was with Rodgers... ‘He doesn’t play under center.’ ‘It’s a simplistic offense that puts up video game numbers.’ ‘He’s not required to read the field.’ I’ve even heard the oh-so-damning claim that his hands are small. 

Hes a senior or who has gotten better every year and won a ton of games. I won’t be through the roof if he’s our guy but I’ll be cautiously optimistic. 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Rico said:

If the Browns draft Darnold at #1 and Rosen is somehow still there at #4 (as per the CBS mock), I would be pissed if the Bills didn’t move up to get him.

agree, seems us moving to 4 for the browns to reload on picks is the move

Honestly I see Buffalo bringing in a Vet. They said so yesterday. I took that as meaning we want to draft someone but they need a Vet to learn from. I’m thinking the Bills don’t draft a QB until the 3rd round. A Matt Smith, Drew Lock, Riley Ferguson etc

Unless someone they like slips down the first or second rounds.

Im telling you, they love Peterman potential. I see them grabbing a mid round QB to push Peterman. But knowing an Alex Smith, Bradford or Keenum will be our guy the next 2-3 years.

But if the Bills like Rudolph they will still do the same, or Ryan Finley.

I must be one of the few who thinks trading into the top 5 as unrealistic and trading up to 10 not worth the difference in talent between a Allen and Rudolph.  Therefore he seems like exactly the kind of fit we would go for without blowing all our picks.

• Like (+1) 2

If the Bills want to fill some holes and not burn their whole draft Rudolph is a candidate for sure. If they can nab him without moving up they very well might. What I don't know is how Beane feels about spending a first and sinking or swimming on a guy who is probably limited as to his ceiling. He would however be an immediate upgrade to what we have been used to seeing and there would be nothing to prevent Beane from picking another QB he might like more next year. I like Mayfield better but if he's 5'10" I have a hard time seeing Beane drafting him, assuming he can. 

I’d be very happy with Rudolph.  All qb’s are risky ultimately, but he is a first round talent.  Not even sure if he’ll make it to us.

But I like the idea of staying put and taking the best available at that spot. After Darnold and Rosen, there is a dropoff and pros/cons kind of balance out for the next tier.  Just depends on what they value.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Why do you say this?

How they’ve talked him up, how his team mates fill about him. Talk about how smart he is. 

Regardless of the San Diego game, it says a lot that McD wasn’t afraid to put him out there. Yes he wasn’t ready, but he’s also a rookie. I think they know with more time, experience, exposure to the nfl game etc, the game will eventually slow down. It always does. And leadership I assumes it will click for him.

Me guessing I think they Bring in a proven Vet, Peterman and Rookie battle. We will see though.

What I see happening...

Bills trade a 2nd rd pick and a 2019 5th rd pick for Alex Smith. Then,

Bills Trade out of one of our 1st round picks for a late 1st or early 2nd also gaining a late 2nd/early 3rd (pick used to get Alex Smith back essentially). Grabbing our QB with the late 1st/early 2nd.

So Bills still end up with two 1st rd picks and two 2nd rd picks and also get Alex Smith, or

Bills end up with the 21st pick, and 2 2nd picks, 1 early 3rd and get Alex Smith.

But I don’t see them grabbing a QB with #21 or 22. They will trade down to gain more picks knowing those #5,6,7 rated QBs are all basically the same.

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1

If they take Mason Rudolph over Denzel Ward, Calvin Ridley or Vita Vea, I quit.

10 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

How they’ve talked him up, how his team mates fill about him. Talk about how smart he is. 

Regardless of the San Diego game, it says a lot that McD wasn’t afraid to put him out there. Yes he wasn’t ready, but he’s also a rookie. I think they know with more time, experience, exposure to the nfl game etc, the game will eventually slow down. It always does. And leadership I assumes it will click for him.

Me guessing I think they Bring in a proven Vet, Peterman and Rookie battle. We will see though.

What I see happening...

Bills trade a 2nd rd pick and a 2019 5th rd pick for Alex Smith. Then,

Bills Trade out of one of our 1st round picks for a late 1st or early 2nd also gaining a late 2nd (pick used to get Alex Smith back essentially). Grabbing our QB with the late 1st/early 2nd.

So Bills still end up with two 1st rd picks and two 2nd rd picks and also get Alex Smith, or

Bills end up with the 21st pick, and 3 2nd picks and get Alex Smith.

34 year old Alex Smith in a contract year is not worth a 2nd round pick, bottom line.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

11 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Who has actually watched a lot of Vita Vea? He reminds me of Shelton coming out. A ton of power but not much else. Why does everyone love this kid? 

Way more athletic than Shelton.  Guy he's compared to most frequently is Ngata.

8 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

If they take Mason Rudolph over Denzel Ward, Calvin Ridley or Vita Vea, I quit.

34 year old Alex Smith in a contract year is not worth a 2nd round pick, bottom line.

The same 34 year old that threw for 4000 yd, 26 TDs 5 Ints, 68% completion percentage? With 14 years as a starter, who has played in multiple systems, understands the game very well, super smart, continues to excel? That Alex Smith isn’t worth a 2nd? One of our later 2nd rd picks? I think your undervaluing the need for QBs and all that Smith brings to a team. Especially a team with a high pick Rookie they are trying to mold.

Well agree to disagree.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Way more athletic than Shelton.  Guy he's compared to most frequently is Ngata.

Vita I feel is not a first round pick. Watching his film I see nothing that screams difference maker. Doesn’t rush the passer well, and sometimes gets swallowed up.

11 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

The same 34 year old that threw for 4000 yd, 26 TDs 5 Ints, 68% completion percentage? With 14 years as a starter, who has played in multiple systems, understands the game very well, super smart, continues to excel? That Alex Smith isn’t worth a 2nd? One of our later 2nd rd picks? I think your undervaluing the need for QBs and all that Smith brings to a team. Especially a team with a high pick Rookie they are trying to mold.

Well agree to disagree.

Vita I feel is not a first round pick. Watching his film I see nothing that screams difference maker. Doesn’t rush the passer well, and sometimes gets swallowed up.

Are Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce coming with him?

57 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

I bet lots of people finally sat down and watched the game last Sunday and see that we need a QB.  Hence the mocks.

Because professional sports guys who make a living (writing/reporting/talking/analyzing/opining on) football don't watch NFL playoff games live?

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Are Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce coming with him?

Yes they are...

1 minute ago, PolishDave said:

Because professional sports guys who make a living (writing/reporting/talking/analyzing/opining on) football don't watch NFL playoff games live?

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1

based on where we pick and his size it does make sense.  i think he is going to have a hard time breaking away from the stigma that surrounds the type of air raid offense they run at osu.  he reminds me too much of a Bryce Petty who in a similiar offense put up good numbers in college as well.  it's a big change to go from that to a pro style under center and have proper footwork and technique vs being in the shotgun and locking in on 1 read and just letting it fly quickly.  Rudolph is going to have to prove to scouts that he can work in the pocket and make proper reads and progressions before someone takes a 1st or even 2nd round chance on him.  but man, he does LOOK the part doesn't he?  big strong QB with a lot of starts under his belt.  the scouts are just really going to have to put him through the paces before taking that kind of chance on him

They had lots of negative things to say about Aaron Rogers in reagrds to his coaches abiltiy to design a QB friendly Offense.

They also said he was a bit small and many swore he would be a bust...

Rudolph checks some boxes in regards to being a a solid pro.. Gonna come down to arm strength showing at pro day and combine IMO

I'm thinking if we do not trade up it could very well be Rudolph at this junction...  But I'm just an armchair QB

Edited by ddaryl

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Jay - who do you like this year?

I think Darnold has the most potential to be a star. I feel he should have waited a year to come out but everything he does in college translates to the NFL. Plus he manipulates the pocket better than any QB coming out all while keeping his eyes downfield. His accuracy is phenomenal. But he does try to force a throw or two each game. 

Not a huge Rosen fan, but I can see why teams are intrigued by him. I just think for a guy that talented, he should have had a better college career.

My 2nd choice is Baker Mayfield. I don’t tag people with “he’s a winner” but this kid obviously has a fire and from just watching the games, you can see how good he is.

I always watch the games and draw from that. Measurables etc don’t usually factor in to my thinking. This is why Allen is a no go for me. Guy makes bad decisions and his accuracy is all over the place. 56% last year and 56.2% this year. Completion percentage doesn’t measure accuracy as we know, but it’s a better tell when it’s bad than when it’s good. Especially for a guy deemed as a top prospect.

Watch the games. That’s where you’ll see who can play.