McCoy backup, why so thin at RB?

icw70

I'm as pumped as any Bills fan about the playoffs!!  I'm wondering why GM Beane hasn't had a solid backup option to McCoy?  He pretty much hasn't all year?  Anyone else wonder this?  If there's a thread out there about this, I haven't seen it.  

Edited by icw70

Going into the season without a legit backup has always been a question. Shady going 16 games without injury is probably not going to happen. Tanking was the only answer that made sense. Guess that didn't work out so well.

Edited by bmur66
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, icw70 said:

I'm as pumped as any Bills fan about the playoffs.  I'm wondering why GM Beane hasn't had a solid backup option to McCoy?  He pretty much hasn't all year?  Anyone else wonder this?  If there's a thread out there about this, I haven't seen it.  

Because we have been donating to the NFL Running Back Foundation...I knew that charity was going to bite us in the a** sooner or later.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Mike "Culture" Tolbert

wry, very happy to make the playoffs.  But this team could actually make a run if they kept some of the good young talent they let go to "build the right culture "

flip side; maybe the Bills arent even sniffing the playoffs if players werent kept around to build the right culture 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, PaattMaann said:

flip side; maybe the Bills arent even sniffing the playoffs if players werent kept around to build the right culture 

You honestly don't think the Bills would be better if we had Sammy instead of the worst WRs instead of Jordan Matthews? We won't be better with Dareus, even as an unmotivated tub of goo, than a 6th round pick? You won't rather have a young rb than Mike Tolbert?

we made the playoffs and it's awesome.  But we act like the new regime inherited the Browns? It was a 9 win type of team last year with terrible coaching.  Woth how bad the AFC is, this team could have gone really deep.  

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You honestly don't think the Bills would be better if we had Sammy instead of the worst WRs instead of Jordan Matthews? We won't be better with Dareus, even as an unmotivated tub of goo, than a 6th round pick? You won't rather have a young rb than Mike Tolbert?

we made the playoffs and it's awesome.  But we act like the new regime inherited the Browns? It was a 9 win type of team last year with terrible coaching.  Woth how bad the AFC is, this team could have gone really deep.  

If we didnt Trade Sammy we dont have Gaines, and checking the record of this team with vs without Gaines is impressive...so yes, in this case I dont care about not having Sammy

Dareus trade was a waste considering we could have done the same thing at the end of the year and saved money, but maybe we was cancerous in the locker room, I cannot answer that one

My comment was regarding your comment about Mike "Culture" Tolbert and why some players who arent really contributing on the field are still on the team. 

I trust McD's vision 100%....yes he inherited a 9 win team, and then gutted it and stocked up for the future with draft picks while still taking this team to the playoffs (with a limited QB). Color me impressed 

• Like (+1) 2

I figure the team can't just plug in a running back of the street with this zone blocking scheme.  Knowing *where* the lanes are going to be is part of the play, but also knowing *when* they will be open is too.  I'm pretty sure it's why audibles are far and few between.  

That's where corporate knowledge becomes the asset to have.  It's why your practice squad players have more value than a free agent.  

Edited by dpberr

32 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

If we didnt Trade Sammy we dont have Gaines, and checking the record of this team with vs without Gaines is impressive...so yes, in this case I dont care about not having Sammy

Dareus trade was a waste considering we could have done the same thing at the end of the year and saved money, but maybe we was cancerous in the locker room, I cannot answer that one

My comment was regarding your comment about Mike "Culture" Tolbert and why some players who arent really contributing on the field are still on the team. 

I trust McD's vision 100%....yes he inherited a 9 win team, and then gutted it and stocked up for the future with draft picks while still taking this team to the playoffs (with a limited QB). Color me impressed 

He inherited a 7 win Team 

45 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

Murphy showed some burst and a little shake and bake. He's not Shady but who else is.

Upside since I always like to search for it,  is there isn’t much film on him..  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, icw70 said:

I'm as pumped as any Bills fan about the playoffs!!  I'm wondering why GM Beane hasn't had a solid backup option to McCoy?  He pretty much hasn't all year?  Anyone else wonder this?  If there's a thread out there about this, I haven't seen it.  

T. Jones and Cadet were decent, (Cadet was better than decent) until they got hurt.  

I'm hoping we draft a RB next draft to backup McCoy.  As Minny demonstrated, you can't have too many good RB's.  

40 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You act like that group got us to the playoffs the last 3-4 years.  They have not and Sammy even admitted his attitude created issues - so No I do not automatically think the Bills would be better.  We know Dareus had issues.

The staff made changes that ticked the fans off and made people assume we were tanking, but the acquisitions of Hyde and Poyer and Kyle providing leadership brought them together as a team and whatever McDermott did - the culture and the attitude to play for each other worked.

I think they have less talent, but are a better team and that has made a huge difference.  Just look at the reaction when Brandon Tate made a first down or Kyle scored a TD - that is a team playing for each other and that is why I think they are here.  Therefore I do not assume players with me first attitudes (Sammy/Dareus) would of helped get this team to the playoffs.

Additionally - it was not a 9 win team - they had not won 9 games in 2 years - they were a below .500 team with those players you spoke of last year.

51 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Mike "Culture" Tolbert

wry, very happy to make the playoffs.  But this team could actually make a run if they kept some of the good young talent they let go to "build the right culture "

Easy to say, impossible to prove and same ilk of   conjecture as those that claimed those trades ensured no playoff for an 18th season...  

While dropping Dareus absolutely may have temporarily compromised the run D, they shored it up enough to get back to winning. And I do think the only winnable in that 3 game period was the Jets, perhaps Chargers gamed would have been different without 5 first half ints including a pick 6

Gains has had a great season, was more of an impact on the field that Sammy was this year for LA or  last for the Bills. 

What got this team to the playoffs was rallying around Kyle Williams and working and playing so hard to win, that they did, and a little help too.. 

So by all means those that think merely assembling talent is the path to winning, you will not love this front office. Those that think building a team around values and intangibles is a path to winning (already evident in 2017) enjoy the ride! 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He inherited a 7 win Team 

Upside since I always like to search for it,  is there isn’t much film on him..  

yea yea yea, thanks for being johnny on the spot with the correction...if you followed our discussion it was meant to say "9 win type of team" as the poster I was having the discussion with called it. Thank you for your substantial contribution to the discussion : ) 

9 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

yea yea yea, thanks for being johnny on the spot with the correction...if you followed our discussion it was meant to say "9 win type of team" as the poster I was having the discussion with called it. Thank you for your substantial contribution to the discussion : ) 

No he didn’t inherit a 9 win type of team.

Thats the point.

He built what he got into a 9 win Team.

he rebuilt the secondary from a middling liability to the strength of the team. That’s half the starting defense. 

Grabbed a promising Rookie LB

made the defense respectable  again. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Cadet was actually excellent when he was backing up shady.  Need to keep him next year....I saw enough to want him back.  don't know if he could stand up to the #1 back pounding...Shady has really in remarkable fashion until this ankle injury.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But Sammy was a minimal part of that "9 win type" team though.  

32 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Thats the point.

he rebuilt the secondary from a middling liability to the strength of the team. That’s half the starting defense. 

bro I agree with you, again, I was just using the other posters words to disagree with him (and agree with you!!!!!! ) my god 

5 minutes ago, ganesh said:

But Sammy was a minimal part of that "9 win type" team though.  

Yeah, they probably win more games with a healthy Sammy. The only good thing Tyrod has done as a passer was throw to Sammy. If people don't believe Sammy didn't help Goff, who has a worse rookie year than EJ, this year they don't really understand football.

we made the playoffs and know anything can happen. But imo, we made unnecessary moves that didn't maximize our true potential.  Please feel free to laugh at me if we win the SB. :)

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, they probably win more games with a healthy Sammy. The only good thing Tyrod has done as a passer was throw to Sammy. If people don't believe Sammy didn't help Goff, who has a worse rookie year than EJ, this year they don't really understand football.

we made the playoffs and know anything can happen. But imo, we made unnecessary moves that didn't maximize our true potential.  Please feel free to laugh at me if we win the SB. :)

we are already laughing at you from the playoffs : ) 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I'll take Gaines and a 2nd all day, thanks

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why? Injuries.

Injuries aren’t why.  This is the design of the team coming out of TC.

Cadet was solid to good, but, wasn’t the guy out of camp.

1 hour ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

Murphy showed some burst and a little shake and bake. He's not Shady but who else is.

Murphy was a pleasant surprise.  Hopefully he can keep it up.  Guessing he can, fingers crossed.

34 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Thats the point.

He inherited a very talented team that was badly coached.  Sammy and Woods are starters on a Rams team that had one of the best turnarounds in NFL history. Darby is the Eagles 1 cb.  Dareus has been a huge pickup. 

The defense gives up basically the same yardage as it did last year, when we pretend it was so terrible. Our offense is much worse.  They did an excellent job rebuilding the secondary.  

Im going to love watching this game. It's winnable and there is no pressure.  But just because we're Bills fans, are we not allowed to want better? I think we are the favorites if we just didn't make a few of those moves. JMo.

6 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I'll take Gaines and a 2nd all day, thanks

I'm sure the Rams are very happy on their end. Given how good SM built the secondary and Gaines' injury issues, Sammy would be more beneficial to this team than Gaines.  Life would be easier for McCoy and guys being forced into 1 and 2 roles, would have a lot more room to operate.

4 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Too much confidence in Tolbert...thats why

I do hope we hang onto Cadet

Eh, they can just draft a later round guy. Don't overpay vet rbs.